not tonight

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
"it was with a female pilot she works with before." amber hands over a peeled boiled egg to krystal. they were already on the bus, traveling back to the city, when her soulmate reminded her about that cheating story.
 
krystal knits her brows as she receives the boiled egg. "oh. and how did she cheat on you? were they together like how we are now?"
 
"well, sort of." amber goes back to peeling the other eggs on her lap. "i didn't clarify what they were. but they have been sleeping with each other during overlays."
 
"ouch. for how long was that?"
 
"can't say. i didn't clarify either. i think it was for a couple of months too."
 
"why? shouldn't you be asking for all the details?"
 
amber shrugs. "i was too devastated when i found out. any more details is just too hard to take." she turns to krystal and pushes the egg to . "you eat first, okay?"
 
krystal takes a bite and chews before she speaks again, "and how did you find out?"
 
"text messages." amber sets aside the cracked shells. "i picked her up from the airport that day after a flight. she fell asleep on the cab on our ride back to her parent's house. guess she was too tired from work she forgot to clear her inbox. my phone was running out of batteries that day, so i opened hers instead to play some games. that's when i saw their exchanged messages. it was flirty and sensual."
 
krystal grimaces as she chews another bite. "did you confront her right away?"
 
"i couldn't. i had to calm myself down first. i let her sleep. i went home and cried. then i left her a short message, telling her i've read her inbox and that our seven-year relationship is over."
 
"eh? if you had broken up with her, then how did you two got married?"
 
"she apologized like really hard to me after. she even went down on her knees in front of mom and dad, crying, admitting her mistakes and asking for forgiveness." amber smiles at the memory. "how i could not forgive such an effort, you know."
 
"in other words, she tried to win you back again?"
 
"yup. she doubled her efforts to make it up with me. so, i thought, maybe she deserves a second chance, you know. several months after that, her granny got hospitalized. the rest was history."
 
krystal nods. "but that was the same year we met too, remember? do you think the spirits willed suzy to cheat on you so you two would break up?"
 
"maybe. but if we didn't marry, then how would i meet you? and you were with seulgi at that time. you would have ignored me."
 
"maybe you're right." krystal takes another bite of the egg. "but who knows. you're hard to ignore, in case you didn't know."
 
amber smiles. "flatterer."
 
"but if we didn't meet with that shaman ahjumma, the thread would not have been activated, right?"
 
amber hums. "sometimes it's hard to comprehend what the spirits want to happen." she gives another peeled egg to krystal. "but i'm glad you met my parents today."
 
krystal smiles. "yeah. i felt lighter after we talked to them. i'm glad they accepted me right away."
 
"how could they not? you're adorable and intelligent."
 
"flatterer."
 
both of them chuckle.
 
"hey. stop peeling now. eat some too." krystal raises an egg to amber's mouth who took a bite.
 
"i would tell suzy tonight," amber says, chewing. "once we arrive at the terminal, i'll go straight to the airport to pick her up. then i'll tell her tonight."
 
"are you sure you want to do it tonight? are you ready for it?"
 
"i don't want to prolong the inevitable anymore." amber looks at krystal. "i want to be with you for real. every day. every night."
 
krystal wipes amber's lips with a tissue. "do you think she'd get mad at us?"
 
"i don't know. it doesn't matter. there's no easy way out of this, is there?"
 
"you're right. please update me as soon as you can, okay?"
 
amber nods. she holds krystal's hand and tucks her soulmate's arm under hers. "can we stay close like this for the whole ride?"
 
krystal nods and leans her head on amber's shoulder.
 
amber takes in a deep breath, wondering whether the spirits really want her to do that tonight.
 
---
 
"boo!"
 
amber receives suzy who hugs her right away. "hey."
 
"i missed you." suzy hugs her tighter and pulls back. "how's the hike?"
 
"uh... fun."
 
"were you able to recharge?"
 
"yeah. there aren't many hikers yesterday. it was a peaceful hike for me."
 
"good then." suzy holds her hand. "did you bring the car with you?"
 
"no. i went straight here after hiking. let's just take a cab home."
 
amber's heart feels heavy while watching suzy drag her away. her wife seems to be in a good mood today. does she have the heart to ruin the night for suzy?
 
and the idea of them reaching home and talking about divorcing, it gives amber unpleasant feelings in her chest.
 
she was sure earlier she wanted to do it.
 
but now she's not sure how to do it anymore.
 
what do the spirits really want her to do?
 
guess she got her answer when suzy's phone suddenly rings.
 
"my brother is calling me. this is weird." suzy shows amber her phone before she puts it next to her ear. "oppa? yes, i just got back, like ten minutes ago... what!"
 
suzy's grip on amber's hand tightens, amber's sure it's not good news. her mind goes blank when she registers the words granny, passed out, hospital, and go there from suzy's conversation with her brother.
 
amber finds herself hugging and comforting her wife after the call knowing how suzy's close with her grandmother.
 
suzy's worried the whole cab ride to the hospital. amber never lets go of her hand.
 
now she wonders when she'll be able to.
 
---
 
"amber."
 
amber takes in a deep breath when she hears krystal's voice on the other line. "hey."
 
"hey. i didn't expect you'd call right away. are you with suzy now?"
 
"yeah. but something came up." amber turns to look at the door to the room where suzy's grandma is confined. "we're in the hospital. suzy's grandma had problems. we went straight here because she's worried sick."
 
"i understand."
 
amber doesn't know what to say. she looks around the hallway, massaging her temples with her other hand.
 
"you don't need to tell her tonight. you shouldn't," krystal says.
 
"but i promised you--"
 
"it's okay, amber. there's no rush. maybe it isn't the right timing yet. we may be cheaters, but we're not cruel people."
 
amber lightly chuckles. "right. that still sounds harsh though."
 
"i know. it's just that you sound so stressed. i understand, okay? i won't go anywhere. i'll be here waiting for you."
 
"thanks." amber sighs in relief. "i'm sorry."
 
"don't be. it's not your fault. it's no one's fault."
 
"i know." amber takes another glance around to make sure no one hears her. "i miss you already."
 
krystal hums. "same. just take your time. and please come home to me as soon as you can."
 
amber closes her eyes, feeling her heart somewhat melting at that.
 
home.
 
yeah. home is not a place to her anymore. it's anywhere where krystal is.
 
she can't wait to go back home again.
 
"i surely will."