Chapter 2

Because You're My...

 

Sunggyu has his back lean on the wall, his arms crossed on his chest, as he wait not far from the shower room at the practice floor. The floor has five small dance rooms and three big dance rooms. Built for trainees and artist to practice their dance skill. One of the three big dance rooms is for teaching and learning. At the centre of the floor is where the shower room is located, divided to men and women. The trainees can clean themselves comfortably before they went to their own way.

 

The trainees come out of the shower one by one. They greets Sunggyu politely and bashfully. Sunggyu greets back and wave at them, silently hoping they just walk and not stopping to make a conversation. Because he is anxious right now and he didn’t want to talk to anyone but one person he had been waiting for.

 

The man come out, with his friend beside him. Like any other trainees, they are startled when they see him but they keep moving, ready to greet him.

 

“Nam Woohyun,” Sunggyu says first before the two trainees reach him.

 

Woohyun and Hoya both walk closer and bow their heads. Other trainees had stop moving and turn to look with curious eyes.

 

“Let’s talk,” Sunggyu added.

 

Woohyun doesn’t move, too stunned to make a response. Unconsciously Hoya push the other toward Sunggyu, whispering that he will wait at the café opposite of the office. Woohyun gulp his saliva when he stands so close to the star. Sunggyu turns around and walk away. Woohyun blink his eyes before he followed quickly, ignoring the curious glance and whispers thrown at him.

 

They climb the stairs to the next floor, where meeting rooms and offices are located. Sunggyu lead them to one of the meeting room, a silver signboard with ‘Kim Sunggyu’ place on the wall next to the door. Woohyun frowns, wondering if the room is what he think it is.

 

The room is big and soundproof. There are mirror on two side of the walls, an oblong meeting table for five people at the side with the normal wall with a reclining chair close at the side, a stereo and speaker on the side of the mirror and a keyboard. Woohyun look at the room with awe.

 

“Is this…” Woohyun whispers to himself.

 

“My room, yes,” Sunggyu says, completing Woohyun’s unasked question.

 

Woohyun quickly lowered his head, unable to look at the singer in the face. Sunggyu lock the door behind him, showing Woohyun the seat as he himself sits on the chair opposite of him. Woohyun still had his eyes downcast, staring straight on the table’s surface.

 

Sunggyu stare into Woohyun’s crown head. It has been three years? Four years? It has been five years since he last saw Woohyun. And the younger didn’t change at all. He looks beautiful. He still has his chubby cheeks and cute face, and better looking than the Nam Woohyun in his memory. Sunggyu fist his hands to stop himself from reaching out to pat the other’s head. It was his favourite, and he knows it was Woohyun’s too even though the youngest always whine for Sunggyu to stop messing his hair.

 

Ah…how he wish to jump on the table and gather him in his arms and hear his cute whine again.

 

Sunggyu healed a breath and calm his beating heart. “Why are you here, Woohyun?”

 

Startled, Woohyun lift his head only to meet with Sunggyu’s glaring eyes. He quickly lowered his head again, afraid to see the sharp eyes on him. The orbs, even through the small slit, feels icy cold and make him shudder in fright.

 

“Why…are you here, Woohyun?” he repeated.

 

“I was tricked…” he replies softly, still with his head low.

 

“Lift up your head and look at me,” Sunggyu orders sternly this time.

 

The younger slowly raise his head. His breath hitch in his throat. Sunggyu’s eyes had soften from the furious gaze but the tough is still there.

 

“Why are you here? What happen to the next Park Jisung?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“I give up the dream, obviously,” he says, trying to lighten up the mood and slow down the anxiousness.

 

“And you didn’t even call me?” Sunggyu shakes his head. “No, forget that. You didn’t even contact me all this time. You change your number. You were always away every time I went to your house. You didn’t reply to my mails. Why? Woohyun, why?”

 

“Sunggyu-shi…”

 

Sunggyu-shi? Sunggyu’s eyebrow twitch.

 

“Was I not selected because of our past?” Woohyun asks.

 

“Yes, and no.” The singer shakes his head as he lean his back on the chair. “It will be awkward to work with you, yes. And no. Since you give up on soccer, you should try join the entertainment business,”

 

“I am in entertainment,”

 

“That’s why I didn’t pick you. I don’t want you to be my backup dancer because I want you to focus on preparing to be a singer,”

 

“What? Why should I be a singer?” Woohyun startled on his seat.

 

“We both know you can sing and you like to sing. You shouldn’t waste your time in being the backup dancer and focus more on singing. You can debut in no time,”

 

“No. I don’t want to be a singer. Don’t you remember I have a stage fright?”

 

Sunggyu frowns. “If you have a stage fright, why you want to be a backup dancer? Why were you so frustrated I didn’t choose you? You have to dance on stage just like singing. It’s the same,”

 

“It’s different.” Woohyun can’t help but to raise his voice a little. “I can’t sing because I will be alone on stage. But dancing is in a group and I can be at the back.”

 

Sunggyu blink his eyes, trying to digest Woohyun’s explosive words. He knows. He doesn’t need to be reminded. But Woohyun’s fiery passion just bring him to the years when they were in high school, where Sunggyu miss their time together the most.

 

Woohyun is taken aback by the smile on Sunggyu’s face. It was faint and it was short. But Woohyun saw them completely.

 

“Any…anyway, you should be professional and not put the past between us,” Woohyun clear his throat. “Even if I was not chosen, I won’t be a singer. Ever!” He stands up, startling the elder man. “Thank you for your time, Sunggyu-shi.” He bows down, turns around and quickly runs to the door.

 

Sunggyu slump back on his seat watching the trainee unlock the door and left the room. “You didn’t change, still stubborn as always.” He smiles sadly still with his eyes on the closed door.

 

-------------------------------

 

He was a third year high school student and he should study for university entrance exam. But here he was, sitting in the music room with the piano and the empty chairs keep him company. He sits on one of the chair by the window, a music manuscript in one hand and a pen in another. Only two lines are scribbled with notes while the others are empty. From the window, he can see clearly the school soccer team are playing in the field. A group of female students stand by the benches and cheer the players.

 

He throw his eyes on the soccer field, watching a certain student tackle a ball from an opponent and brings them to the centre. He move beautifully and energetically on the field, dodging his opponents to shot a goal for his team.

 

Sunggyu smiles when the player scream his victory. The female students cheers for him excitedly. The player turns his head to the students. He smiles cheekily as he wink and make a heart with his hands on his head.

 

Sunggyu quickly turns his head back on the manuscript in hand. Cheeky brat. He mumbled, feeling his cheeks growing red at being caught.

 

His pen move on the sheet as he put note after note. The soccer practise forgotten as he focus on the song he was working on. He was at the dead end, screaming for idea when the door to the music room open from outside.

 

“Sunggyu hyung…” the new student jump to his side and throw his arms around him.

 

“Yah, Nam Woohyun!” Sunggyu scold him, surprise with the sudden attack.

 

“Did you see me? Did you see me?” Woohyun asks excitedly.

 

“No. I didn’t,”

 

“Hyung…” Woohyun pouts, pulling away a little to look disbelievingly at the older student.

 

Sunggyu laugh as he pats Woohyun’s arm around his neck. “I see you. That’s a good game, Woohyun.”

 

Woohyun smiles happily as he tightens his arms. He glance at the sheet in Sunggyu’s hand. “Is it finish?”

 

“No, not yet,”

 

“Hurm…what is this song about?”

 

Sunggyu turns to look at him, their face only centimetres apart, Sunggyu can feel Woohyun’s soft breath against his skin. He quickly turns his face back to the manuscript, feeling warm by the shyness.

 

“Are you writing a song for me?” Woohyun asks, undisturbed.

 

Silence.

 

“It is? Waa…Sunggyu hyung write a song for me,” Woohyun exclaim happily as he peck Sunggyu’s check and remove his arms. He straightens his body and raise his arms upward to show the world the newfound news.

 

“Cut it out, Woohyun. This is not for you,” Sunggyu says without looking at the younger student.

 

Woohyun swipe his head to look. “What?” He pouts. “You’re lying. I know it is for me.” He grins. “Who else would you write a song for if not your boyfriend?”

 

-------------

 

The soft melody of a piano filled in the hall, making Sunggyu stop in his track to stretch his ears to listen carefully. He smiles, knowing full well the song is one of Woohyun’s self-composed song. He walk to the music room, open the door slowly to not surprising the student. A sense of proud tick him, making his heart clench with indescribable affection. Woohyun is sitting on the bench, his fingers dance on the piano keys. Sheets of musical scores stand on the music rack. Woohyun had his eyes close as his ears listen to the sound of music when his fingers moves beautifully.

 

Woohyun’s lips move to a smile when another set of fingers move on the other part of the keyboard, to create a beautiful sound of piano duet. The song he is playing is a solo song but when the other join in, it form a fascinating music. Weird. But with a little editing here and there, they can surely produce a masterpiece to a mankind.

 

Woohyun’s eyes flatter open. He peek at the student beside him, at the same time the student look at him back. They exchange smiles, their fingers not stop moving, still dancing on the keys till the last note on the music sheet.

 

“That was magnificent,” Sunggyu says, healing a breath he didn’t know he hold.

 

“That’s you,” Woohyun says, picking his music sheets shyly. “When you join to perform a duet, it create a beautiful melody, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu look at the younger. His feeling of delighted doubled, or tripled, or building much much bigger than he can count.

 

“Woohyun,” he whispers the name. Woohyun lift his head to meet with Sunggyu’s warm eyes. “Let’s be an idol together.”

 

The younger student widen his eyes. “What? No?” He giggle.

 

Sunggyu pouts. “Why not? You can compose song, you can play the piano, you have beautiful voice. You will be a star in no time,”

 

“I want to play soccer more,” Woohyun whine. “The next Park Jisung is Nam Woohyun.” He balled his fist determinedly.

 

Sunggyu reach his hand to close around Woohyun’s fist. “I know you like soccer more and I support you in anything you want to do.”

 

Woohyun smiles, tilting his head. “Thank you, hyung,”

 

The elder sighs, pulling his hand to his lap. “But it is a waste though. You’re so talented in music. We will be losing such a gem,”

 

“Hyung is the gem,” Woohyun says. “My Sunggyu hyung will be the star shining on earth the very next second he step into business.”

 

Sunggyu laughs, he punch Woohyun’s arm lightly. “I respect your dream, Woohyun. But it still a shame. I really want to be a singer with you,”

 

“Hurm…I tell you what, Sunggyu hyung. If and I mean if, I failed to be a soccer player, I will think to join you.”

 

Sunggyu’s smiles widen. He grab Woohyun’s fist with both of his hands. “Really? You mean it?”

 

Woohyun nods his head, startled. “I mean if,”

 

“It doesn’t matter.” Sunggyu shakes his head. “You’re thinking to be a singer as your second dream is good enough for me.”

 

Woohyun grins. “But I have to work on my stage fright first though,”

 

“I will help you.”

 

-------------

 

The soccer team members are playing on the field, with the usual fangirls watching at the side cheering for the members or a certain player. Sunggyu is catching his breath with his hands on his knees as he ran from the music room to the benches. Some of the fangirls glance at him curiously. When Sunggyu had control his breath and straightens his body, the girls scream in shock, saying Sunggyu sunbae-nim is here. Sunggyu smiles at the girls but before he can open his mouth to ask, a certain player stand in between them.

 

“Sunggyu hyung.” Woohyun tilted his head. “What are you doing here?”

 

“What?” Sunggyu gasp, startled.

 

He glance at the field and saw the players carry on with their game even though they throw curious look at the missing star player and him. Sunggyu is not an athletic person but he is a popular student. He is handsome, smart and have a beautiful voice that everyone in their town know of his name. They call him a rising star of Sabuk and will surely make his town proud of him.

 

Sunggyu never get near the field except in Physical Education. So it is strange to see him there, and it will be a breaking news around the school in a minute.

 

“Let’s talk,” Sunggyu says as he turns around and move his feet, away from the field.

 

Woohyun quickly follow after the older student, making sure no one, be it the fangirls watching the soccer practise or any student they walk pass by. They didn’t go far before Sunggyu stops his feet and turns around, making Woohyun stop abruptly and thankfully didn’t crash on him.

 

“I have a news,” Sunggyu says seriously.

 

Woohyun gulp his saliva. “Uh…a good one or a bad one?”

 

“Depending on how you take it.”

 

Woohyun stare into Sunggyu’s eyes. The elder look grim and not a hint of playfulness in his face. Woohyun feels his heart beat in his chest and screaming to jump out. He hate surprises. He can cope with them well enough but he hate them if they bring bad news to his fragile heart.

 

“What…what is it, hyung?”

 

Woohyun just wish it’s not about breakup. His eyes widen. Realization hit him. They’re not breaking up, are they? No. No. No. He love his boyfriend so much and he can’t bear to be separated from him. Not now. Not ever.

 

To Woohyun’s surprise, Sunggyu’s lips form a smile, then it turns big then he grins happily.

 

“I got scouted by Infinite Entertainment,” he says excitedly but softly to make sure no one caught them. They are still in the vicinity of the field, only at the end of the field and close to a school building where students might still lingering around and saw them and eavesdropping on them.

 

“What?” Woohyun’s hands flew to his open wide mouth. “Hyung, that’s fantastic. Really?”

 

Sunggyu nods. “Eung! They called me just now and said they want to offer me to join their label,”

 

“Wow…Sunggyu hyung…” Woohyun gape, he doesn’t know what to say. He is too happy to remember to congratulate the elder.

 

He nods again. “You’re the first person to know. I want to share this news to you as soon as I end the call,”

 

“So that’s why you seems breathless,” Woohyun tease. “Kim Sunggyu hyung is running willingly. This is a huge scoop.”

 

Sunggyu elbowed Woohyun’s side, pouting as the younger laugh. Then he stop laughing.

 

“Wait. You tricked me…” Woohyun says.

 

“What? I didn’t. It’s the truth,”

 

“No, I didn’t mean that.” Woohyun shakes his head. “You were serious just now. You tricked me into thinking there is bad news,”

 

“Ah…” Sunggyu grins as he scratching his head. “Anyway, I’m so happy, Woohyunie,” he says as he throw his arms around Woohyun’s shoulder.

 

“Hyung, I’m sweaty and smelly. Let go.” Woohyun wiggle to break the hug.

 

“I’m so happy,” Sunggyu repeated, ignoring Woohyun’s squirm. He push the other slightly to look him in the eyes. “I will sign this week but I only will start training after I graduated. I don’t want to miss more times to spend with you.”

 

Woohyun smiles. “Don’t forget me, hyung,”

 

“How can I forget this cheeky boyfriend of mine?” He tease, pinching Woohyun’s cheeks.

 

“Awwie…hyung…” Woohyun whine, Sunggyu let go, smiling softly and full of happiness at him. “Congratulations, hyung. I’m happy for you, and I’m so proud.”

 

Sunggyu grins. “I am moving to my dream. And it is your turn to do yours,”

 

“Eung!” Woohyun grins. “I will practise more in my soccer training,”

 

“I mean the stage fright training.”

 

---------------------------------------------

 

“Don’t forget me. Yeah, right. You’re the one who forget me,” Sunggyu snort, lowering his eyes sadly.

 

“Yah, Kim Sunggyu!” The door open and a voice of Jang Dongwoo shouts at him.

 

“That’s hyung for you,” he replies, still with his head low.

 

“I’m your boss,” Dongwoo retort, ignoring the remark of his singer.

 

Sunggyu lift his head facing the standing Dongwoo opposite of him. “Sorry,” he says softly.

 

“What is wrong with you?” Dongwoo groans as he sits on the chair Woohyun did previously. “You said you want Woohyun in your team and we reserve him for you. Sungjong wants him too but we didn’t let him. But now you didn’t chose him. Why? What’s wrong? Why did you change your mind?”

 

“Dongwoo…” Sunggyu sighs. “Why Sungjong wants him too?”

 

“Because he is talented?” Dongwoo shrugged. “But since you didn’t pick him…”

 

“No,” Sunggyu cut his manager off. “You can’t send him to Sungjong’s team,” he warns with a hint of pleading.

 

Dongwoo shakes his head. “No, we won’t. That…something the management will think about.”

 

Sunggyu quirk his eyebrow. Management? Sungjong can’t pick Woohyun to be his backup dancer for one of his promotion song since Sunggyu had his eyes on him first. Being the senior and the top star than the rookie singer Lee Sungjong, Sunggyu has an upper hand in anything he say. The company favour him and will cater to his interest first. But since Sunggyu himself breach the unwritten selection, they can send Woohyun over to Sungjong, if the younger singer still interested. So why…they need the management’s thought in this? Woohyun wouldn’t be in danger of his action, right?

 

“He is talented, that Nam Woohyun,” Dongwoo says.

 

“Yeah, he is…” he replies, remembering the past.

 

“When he came, he went to the dance department. He didn’t audition to be an idol, he just want to dance. About half a year ago…the speaker broke in the training room. While other trainees are lazing around waiting for the repairman, Woohyun and Hoya dance by themselves, with Woohyun sings the song himself. In no time, the other trainees join in, using Woohyun’s sing as a song to practise to. We secretly listen for various kind of songs for I don’t remember how long, and we decided, he can sing, with that nice sweet voice of his,” Dongwoo says softly and lengthy. “Donggun hyung want to transfer him to the singing department. We’re ready to prepare him to be an idol. But he reject.”

 

Sunggyu jump in his seat, startled. “He reject? Woohyun?”

 

Dongwoo nods. “He didn’t want to be a singer, he just want to dance, he said. We got into a heated arguments. He just need a little polishing, and in no time he will be ready to debut.” He shakes his head. “We offer him everything but he refuse. I don’t know why.”

 

Silence.

 

Sunggyu’s thought went to the talk he had with Woohyun just minutes before he left. He wants Woohyun to be a singer but the other decline. In fact, the company made the offer long before him and he still reject the idea.

 

If they’re still in high school, Sunggyu would understand since Woohyun love playing soccer more than singing. But since Woohyun is in the entertainment company, it means he had given up his dream to be in sport, it means he is thinking to be an artist seriously.

 

But why…? Why did Woohyun turn down the offer? And he was so adamant with his decision.

 

It can’t be because of the stage fright, right?

 

Woohyun is a fighter and cheeky. He can face his opponent in the field alone. He can stand up for himself. This little fright of singing on stage won’t stop him. He knows Woohyun can overcome his fear.

 

But why…?

 

------------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

 

Finding a name for Infinite fanfic is hard. It took me a couple of days to choose a label name and the town they came from. I refused to use Woollim for reasons, and it’s not just because three members had left. These kids come from different district in Korea too. I’m sure it will be hard to find names for certain character, since they didn’t have dating rumours, they’re the older idol in Woollim, and they didn’t have much drama or TV shows to pick up a suitable girl’s name.

 

In the end, I choose Infinite Entertainment, and Sabuk, a town in Jeongseon which I had learned from Triangle drama.