Chapter 1

Because You're My...

 

Sunggyu watch the video of new trainees from his hand phone. His eyes stick to the small screen as he observe each of the trainees. They are good. Sunggyu admit. Much better than his last group of backup dancer. They can dance to the hardest song from his last album without an inch of slip.

 

They are good.

 

But…

 

Sunggyu pause the video only to rewind them back from the start. He lied. He knows. No. No. No. He is not lying about the ability of the trainees. He is lying...when he said he watch each of the trainees in the video.

 

Because his eyes are stick to one person and one person only.

 

“You have been watching the video nonstop. Is it so hard to make a decision?” Dongwoo asks as he peek from the rear view mirror.

 

“No. It’s not that…” he replies flatly.

 

“Then?”

 

Silence.

 

And Dongwoo didn’t urge him further. He leave the conversation as soon as it start. He is driving and he needs to focus on the road. He wants to talk because he is known as someone who love to talk even though his conversation partner keep their mouth shut. But since Sunggyu is silent and too deep in his own world with the video, Dongwoo choose to not say anything until Sunggyu break his bubble himself.

 

The road is clear despite it being the busy noon. Sunggyu didn’t eat his lunch yet. He has a show to attend and they need to arrive in half an hour. Dongwoo just grab a couple of gimbabs and sandwiches to eat on the go. He will just run to buy a complete meal when Sunggyu is in his talk show. They can eat after the show end before they had to rush to another schedule. Dongwoo just hope Sunggyu has enough time to eat properly before he get digestion. Sunggyu meeting a doctor because of a sickness is the last thing he needs.

 

They arrived at the studio. Sunggyu greets everyone before he is rushed to get ready. He just wave Dongwoo off when the young manager want to go buy their lunch. Sunggyu put the hand phone in his bag, trying to forget the video and to prepare his mental for the talk show.

 

“How is the tour?” the makeup artist, Yoon Bora asks.

 

“Great, we’re almost ready,” Sunggyu smiles to the mirror. “You’re coming too right?”

 

“Of course I will. Who will take care of your face if I’m not there?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with my face.” Sunggyu pouts.

 

Bora laughs. “The wrong is, you’re too handsome, Sunggyu. I’m afraid your fans will faint the moment you step up on stage.”

 

Sunggyu laughs too. “Do you think so?” He twist his face side to side, earning himself a slap on the shoulder by the makeup artist.

 

“Stop moving.” Bora laughs then she sighs softly. “I don’t know, Sunggyu. I really want to go,”

 

“Huh? What is that mean?” Sunggyu look at her from the mirror.

 

“I heard they want me to go join Sungjong’s team,”

 

“What?” Sunggyu turns his head this time to look at Bora face to face.

 

“Aish, you…” Bora scold him when Sunggyu’s skin unconsciously meet with the lip brush. Bora use some tissue to wipe the little stain off and put corrector on the skin.

 

“What do you mean they want you to join Sungjong? Where’s Sungjong’s makeup artist?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“There’s none. Sungjong use whoever makeup artist available for his schedules or he will go to saloon. Only you have your own personal makeup artist.” Bora grins.

 

Sunggyu lowered his eyes. “Oh…”

 

“Oh indeed.” Bora pat Sunggyu’s cheek with the puff before she swing Sunggyu’s chair around back facing her. “Now off you go.”

 

Sunggyu stand up from the seat, walking silently yet grumpily to the coordinator to change his cloth. In just a minute he is rush outside to start his talk show. The Love Letter Talk Show is a show catered for all kind of entertainers around South Korea to talk about their life and project. It has been almost six months since he last come to the show, and other shows as well since he was busy preparing for his first world tour.

 

His last album was released six months ago and he had come to the end of the promoting schedule. But now he is busy preparing for his first world tour and it will take up most of his time. Sometimes he really hate Infinite, the agency he is with. When he has work, he will be too packed and busy that sometimes eating had to do in the vicinity of his van. When he is free, he is really free that he didn’t know what to do except to make up the time he lost his sleep.

 

Today is no different.

 

Sunggyu sighs as he slump his tired body on the couch in the waiting room after the talk show end. Dongwoo had return with their lunches and talking on the phone at the corner. Sunggyu pick up one lunch box, swipe out his hand phone and put them on the table to lean against a flower pot and continue watching the dance of the trainees.

 

“Good news, the photoshoot will start later in the evening. So you can eat slowly and have some times to rest,” Dongwoo says when he come back to the couch.

 

Sunggyu just nods as he feed himself, eyes not leaving the small screen.

 

“You’re still watching?” Dongwoo asks as he sits beside Sunggyu and pick his own lunch box. “Has anyone caught your attention?”

 

Silence.

 

Dongwoo leave the question at that again as he eat his lunch.

 

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu calls. “Why did I have to choose after Sungjong?”

 

“Because Sungjong has to go to Busan. If he doesn’t pick tomorrow, they have to wait for four days for him to come back. The trainees he pick can practise his dance for those four days, don’t you think?”

 

Sunggyu tsk, disliking the answer but he can’t complain either.

 

“That’s why I show you this video, hyung. So you can chose first. We will put aside the trainees you choose and make sure Sungjong won’t pick him,”

 

“Watching from a video is not same with watching them live.”

 

Dongwoo shrugged. “It’s the same. With this video, you can see who is serious and who play around. When they dance live with you watching, they will be too serious and conscious. You will be tricked again, just like before,”

 

“True…” Sunggyu sighs remembering his last group of backup dancers.

 

They were good. Were. When Sunggyu watch them perform before he make his selection. But when they secure a place in Sunggyu’s team, they play around too much and mess up a lot of his routine. Thankfully no accident happen on stage but it irked Sunggyu a lot. The CEO even of picking a group of monkeys in his group. To make sure nothing happen to tarnish his name and to dodge the teasing, he has to select strictly and thoroughly.

 

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu calls. The manager hum. “That kid, what is his name?”

 

“Which one?”

 

Sunggyu point to the screen. “The one with the red cap and white shirt.”

 

Dongwoo lean close to make better look at the screen. There are two people wearing red cap, one with black t-shirt and another with white t-shirt.

 

“White shirt? Let me see.” Dongwoo squint his eyes to focus to not make a mistake. “Ahh…that kid. He is good. One of the best trainee at the moment. His name is Nam Woohyun.”

 

Ba-dump.

 

“Nam Woohyun…you say?”

 

------------

 

“Are you excited?” Hoya asks his friend when they are stretching in the training room.

 

“Hurm…” Woohyun replies nervously.

 

“Relax. You’re good, Woohyun. I’m sure they will pick you,”

 

“I was just…”

 

“Okay, everyone, get ready,” the voice of their dance teacher bloom in the room, attracting the trainees attention.

 

The men inside the room, including Hoya and Woohyun stop stretching, stands up and went to the centre of the room.

 

“Annyonghaseyo, I’m Lee Sungjong. Please take good care of me,” the 20year old singer greets the trainees, bowing his head.

 

The men bows and clap their hands, welcoming him.

 

“As you guys know, Sungjong here is promoting a new song from the album. He will pick his backup dancers among you guys,” the teacher says. “So, do your best.”

 

The teacher and Sungjong went to sit on the bench in front of the mirror while the trainees take their position. A song play in the room by surprise and the trainees quickly get moving following the step. A couple of trainees mess up because the song play all of a sudden, taking them off guard.

 

“He is good,” Sungjong whispers to the teacher, pointing to someone at the back.

 

“Which one?”

 

“The one with the red cap,” Sungjong says, eyes not leaving the trainee.

 

“Oh, that. Yes, he is. But nope. Sorry. Pick another one,”

 

“Why?” Sungjong whine, looking at the teacher.

 

The teacher smiles apologetically. “Sunggyu had his eyes on him first.”

 

Sungjong crossed his arms on his chest. “Not fair. I watch first, I should pick first,”

 

“You dare to complain, Lee Sungjong?” the teacher tease.

 

“No…” he replies flatly.

 

“You’re a rising star, of course. But don’t forget, Sunggyu is the top star. It’s hard for you to go against him,” the teacher remind him.

 

“Yes…” Sungjong replies with a pout.

 

The song change in the middle of it to another song, also in the middle of the song. The same trainees caught off guard. Two trainees bump into each other, frustrating the teacher and make Sungjong chuckles. But his eyes glint when he saw the trainee in red cap didn’t even flinch and move in step smoothly, as if the song flow in his blood and he remember each one of it.

 

“Are you sure Sunggyu hyung will choose him?”

 

“Sunggyu had his eyes on him,”

 

“Then, if, I mean if, Sunggyu hyung doesn’t choose him, can I pick him?”

 

The teacher look at Sungjong as if he had grown another head. But seeing the young singer look at him with pleading hopeful and shining eyes had the teacher give in.

 

“Sure. If Sunggyu doesn’t pick him, I will discuss with the management,”

 

“What?” Sungjong gape at him. “Why it need discussion? If Sunggyu hyung doesn’t chose him, I can have him in my team, right?”

 

“That…is something management have to decide, Sungjong.”

 

Sungjong pouts, glaring at the trainee with red cap. He doesn’t understand. He can’t pick the trainee to be his backup dancer because Sunggyu had his eyes on him first. Even though he didn’t know how Sunggyu saw him and how Sunggyu reserve him. But if Sunggyu change his mind and doesn’t pick the man, why can’t the man join Sungjong’s team? Why they need the management’s thought in this?

 

“Play it till the end and don’t change the song,” Sungjong says without looking at the teacher.

 

So the song played till the last second per request. And Sungjong watch how the trainees end the dance, if they end just like the step of the song or they are preparing for the next song.

 

“Okay,” Sungjong says as he jump from his seat. “I’ve decided…”

 

The trainees hold their breath as Sungjong pointing to them without saying a name, because he didn’t know who is who. The trainees had mixed emotion after Sungjong was done picking five people from the group. They bows and say their goodbye as Sungjong leave the room. The teacher ask them to take a break before the next selection.

 

Woohyun slump down on the floor, groaning tiredly and frustratedly. Hoya sits beside him, patting his shoulder.

 

“It’s okay. Don’t be sad,”

 

“I’m not.”

 

Hoya chuckles as he cup Woohyun’s cheeks in between his fingers. “Then what with this pout?”

 

Woohyun shrugged his friend’s hand. “People always say I’m a good dancer but why he didn’t pick me? Am I not good enough? Are they lying?”

 

“No. No. No. They’re not lying and it’s not that you’re not good enough.” Hoya move his arm from Woohyun’s shoulder. “Hey, look at me. I was not picked either.”

 

Woohyun look at Hoya as the friend smile cheekily at him.

 

“True.” Woohyun says nonchalantly.

 

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” Hoya punch him lightly on his arm. “But I thought you’re not interested to be a backup dancer?”

 

Woohyun sighs. “I’m not, and still not interested,”

 

“So why are you so sad you’re not picked though? Shouldn’t you feel relief?” Hoya tilted his head, confused

 

Woohyun sighs again. “If I was picked, I can do poorly and they had to kick me out.”

 

Hoya’s eyes widen as he look at his friend. “Yah, Nam Woohyun! Are you insane?”

 

The trainees in the room look at the duo as Hoya’s voice resonated.

 

Woohyun smirk as he look at the other. “I told you I don’t want to be here. You’re the one who tricked me. The only way to leave is for the company to kick me out,”

 

“Woohyun…” Hoya quickly says, remembering the harsh truth. “I’m sorry. I told you I’m sorry. But…it has been a year. I thought you like it here.”

 

Woohyun nods his head, throwing his eyes to the opposite of the training room. “Yeah, I like it here. I got more friends and I feel alive again,”

 

“Then why? Why you want to leave?”

 

“Liking here doesn’t mean I want to stay here.” Woohyun turns to Hoya with a sad smile on his face. “I know you just want the best for me, Hoya. It really did. Thank you.”

 

Hoya is quiet. He open his mouth to say something, to rebuff Woohyun’s ill thinking or to concede Woohyun’s words. But nothing come out. Not when the words swimming in his head to make a proper reply.

 

“But I can’t stay here any longer,”

 

“Are you…” Hoya gulp his saliva. “Are you want to move out?”

 

“What? No.” Woohyun chuckles. “Where would I go?” He shakes his head. “I will still live with you and Sungyeol. It just…this is not for me, the entertainment world,”

 

“You had been here for a year, Woohyun. You still think you’re not for it?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head. “You said you give me a year to try give this a shot. A year had pass, and it still held the same answer. This is not for me,”

 

“Woohyun…” Hoya sobs. “Please wait, just for a while,”

 

“I should do better so the next one will pick me. I have to make sure I leave after this,” he says before he stands up. “Who is the next singer you say?”

 

Hoya stands up too. “Kim Sunggyu, you know, the sunbae from school?”

 

Woohyun’s eyes widen when he heard the name. His mouth agape. He look at Hoya disbelieving as if that was the most shocking news he ever heard.

 

“What? What’s with that face? I thought you know this is where Sunggyu sunbae’s agency is,”

 

“I…I was…”

 

Yes. Stupid Woohyun. He scold himself mentally. This is Infinite, the agency Kim Sunggyu went after graduating, the agency responsible to bring Sunggyu to his glory, the agency who bring Sunggyu the world, the agency who Sunggyu love as his own family.

 

How can you forget, Nam Woohyun?

 

Before he can think of making an escape, the teacher come into the room, gaining everyone’s attention. Woohyun lift his head, just to meet with the star Kim Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu bows his head, smiling. “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Kim Sunggyu. Nice to meet you,” he says, eyes stick to the one person, the trainee with the red cap by name of Nam Woohyun.

 

-------------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

 

New story. How quick of me to write another Infinite fanfic. I’m starting to feel bad to my dear YunJae. I’ve been neglecting them far too long. I have a YunJae fanfic still in hiatus and every year resolution is to write and finish the fic. Now I’m not sure I can finish them anymore.

 

I was devastated about Sunggyu leaving Woollim but knowing Sunggyu, he really love Infinite and his dongsaeng, and Woohyun obviously. Hehe. I trust him for keeping his promise, for always be an Infinite. Now I am waiting for all of the members end their contract and Infinite can make their own company.