Chapter 5

Because You're My...

 

“Iced Americano? Cafe latte?” Sunggyu asks, reading the menu board hanging on the wall.

 

“Iced chocolate.” Woohyun grins.

 

“Huh?” Sunggyu turns to the student linking his arm on his. “I thought you’re on diet?”

 

Woohyun just pouts as an answer.

 

“Okay, okay. Iced chocolate.” Sunggyu laughs as he steps closer to the counter to make his order while Woohyun left him to go to the store next to it.

 

“Why would he want chocolate if he is on diet?” Sunggyu wonders out loud.

 

“Dark chocolate actually not fattening, it’s good for your health and it give a sense of comfort,” the woman behind the counter replies.

 

Sunggyu blink his eyes, obviously embarrassed at being caught. The woman give him his orders, payment made and Sunggyu quickly turns around and left. He saw Woohyun making his own trading at the snack bar. He stops walking, waiting for the younger student near the concrete tree bench, away from the line of students behind him. Some students stand closer to him, as if waiting for someone themselves. They’re giggling and pushing and talking not silently.

 

He heard the girls say how handsome he is and how lucky they are to get to stand this close with their town’s idol. He heard the girls trying to push one another to start a conversation with him. The girls squealed at the smiles slowly adorning his face. But how crushed they are if they know Sunggyu is not smiling at their talk but rather at the male student trying to get out of the line.

 

Woohyun grins as he runs to Sunggyu, holding a package of egg toast in his hands. “I’m lucky this is the last one,”

 

“Huh?” Sunggyu glance at the still line of students. “What about them?”

 

“They have to wait for another twenty minutes,”

 

“I thought there was no one there when we arrived.”

 

Woohyun shrugged, iced chocolate and one of the egg toast changing hands. “I’m lucky then.”

 

They turn around and start moving their feet, ignoring the female students watching them with mix emotions under the tree.

 

“Your fans?” Woohyun asks, when the cold bitter taste of chocolate swim down his throat.

 

“Don’t know. Don’t care,” Sunggyu replies nonchalantly.

 

“Hyung.” Woohyun gasp. “You can’t be like that. You have to treat your fans nicely,”

 

“Standing close together not making them my fans, Woohyun.” Apparently it was not the answer as he saw the younger pouts. Sunggyu want to brush Woohyun’s hair and squealed at his cuteness but both of his hands full so he opt to only nudge Woohyun’s side with his. “Okay. Okay. I will be nice but I am nice,”

 

“You’re nice, hyung.” Woohyun grins.

 

“What should I do? All fans are the same to me. I only have this one fan that I need to treat very nicely and delicately,” Sunggyu says.

 

“You have that kind of fan? Who?” Woohyun asks, blinking his eyes.

 

Sunggyu turns to face him, smiling. “You.”

 

Woohyun’s smile turn bigger. “Of course. I am Sunggyu hyung’s number one fan. No one love you as much as I do.”

 

Sunggyu feels his cheeks grow redder by the shameless announcement. If anyone heard them, they can only guess Woohyun was declaring his support to the town idol. But to Sunggyu, and to Woohyun as well, it is a declaration of love.

 

-------------------------

 

Woohyun was ignoring everyone at the dance practise. He didn’t say a word besides a greeting. It’s not a problem, no one bothering him actually. Everyone is working extra hard now since they had divided into groups. The trainees in a group had to make sure they still in the group for the next song. The trainees with no group, they call it the leftover group want to improve themselves so they can be chosen for the next round.

 

The trainees selected to Sungjong’s team are joining them. They are preparing for a first music show today and everyone are nervous. They should practise in the other practise room but they make a detour to this room instead, just to rub in the leftover’s faces.

 

They deliberately play Sungjong’s song, It’s You from one of the dancer’s own hand phone while the speaker is blaring with Sunggyu’s 41 Days from the previous album. The trainees inside the room were puzzled when they were rudely attacked. They had to give room to Sungjong’s team moving the step for the song.

 

If it was any other day, they would berate the rude trainees and kick them out. But they’re afraid to do so since they are already in the team while the leftover were…well…leftover. The team smirk at each other when the leftover had to retrieve to the back of the room and watching them.

 

“They had their own room, why they need to come and dance in here?” One of the leftover, Jung Ilhoon complain.

 

“Petty, that’s why,” Im Hyungshik, another leftover replies.

 

Without saying a word, Woohyun stand before the other side of the mirror, close to their speaker. He start moving, alone, following the music of the song still playing. The leftover watch him and quickly followed, ignoring the other’s team.

 

“Just ignore them,” Woohyun says. “If they’re like this just from being a backup dancer, they won’t go anywhere if they debut as an idol.”

 

The leftover look at each other and nods, agreeing with him. Seeing the leftover are dancing by themselves, the trainees in Sungjong’s team grow furious, thinking they had been mocked. They lift the volume of the hand phone and continue dancing the same song. But even before they can start the move following the step, a loud voice of their teacher bloomed in the room, surprising both groups.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” the teacher ask Sungjong’s team.

 

The members look at each other, waiting for anyone to say something. The leftover had stop playing their music but the Sungjong’s team still had theirs on, too afraid to think to shut the device.

 

“You! You had your own practise room, why did you come here and bothering your friends?” the teacher scolded after he order them to stop the music. “Did you come here to belittle your friends?”

 

Silence. The trainees in the team all have their eyes down, unable to look at the teacher’s angry face.

 

“If this is how you behave, you can forget your position. Tonight’s show is your first and last one.”

 

The members gasp, raising their head to face the teacher. They open their mouth to object but one look from the teacher’s eyes, they shut up and lowered their faces again. The teacher scolded the members, ignoring the time they should use to practise. For him, they were ridiculously childish, to mock their unselected friends just because they were chosen for one song. He reminds them that Sungjong only need them for this one song. After the promotion end, they have to come back to this room and join the leftover for the next gig. How would you face your friends after you insult them? And how would you feels if your leftover friends get to debut before you?

 

Woohyun start to feels uneasy when the teacher’s eyes were on him when he mention the word debut. He didn’t get the chance to see Sunggyu or Dongwoo after last night. He wants to ask, or more like get into an argument with Sunggyu first thing in the morning but Hoya said Sunggyu had an early schedule at the radio station while the team he selected had a meeting, thus explain the missing Hoya and the other trainees in the room.

 

He won’t be serious, is he?

 

Woohyun is worried the news of his so-called debut had reach the dance teacher, or worst, the entire company. He doesn’t want to debut. He doesn’t want to be a singer. Woohyun braced himself to be excuse since the teacher still scolding Sungjong’s team. The trainees gape when the teacher let him out. Because if any other day, the teacher won’t let anyone out even if they’re not part of his scolding.

 

“Quiet,” the teacher say. “I won’t tolerate any misbehaviour from you, all of you,”

 

“But, teacher.” One of the trainee in Sungjong’s team, Lee Minhyuk says when he think it was not fair. “You keep scolding us but why you let Woohyun go? Yesterday you didn’t punish him too when he came late to the practise.”

 

The teacher feels his headache is coming as he pinch his temple. “Is that why you order him to clean up this practise room all by himself?”

 

Minhyuk startled but quickly shakes his head. “No. Not me.” He look around the room, to s and to the leftovers. “It was them.” He pointed to the trainees at the side.

 

“If you don’t want to miss your spot, you better behave yourself,” the teacher remind him. “And all of you, listen here. I don’t want any misconduct between all of you. Don’t forget, you’re friends, you’re still a trainee. No matter which team you went to, until your debut, you’re still just a trainee. Who knows, you will be here forever and don’t have the chance to be an idol?”

 

The trainees freeze at the harsh reminder. They all mumbled a low yes. The teacher kick Sungjong’s team to their designated practise room and order the leftover to ready for a practise. The teacher just brush them off when someone ask if they should wait for Woohyun.

 

It is unfair. They know the teacher had favour Woohyun. Who wouldn’t? He is hardworking, he has the most flexible body, he is the best dancer in their group, he can sing, he is pretty. It just a matter of time until Woohyun debut as an idol. But the favouritism showing itself a lot lately, especially yesterday because Woohyun was not scolded when he came late to the practise, his dance messy like a first timer, he keep excusing himself, and they were scolded when the teacher know they had Woohyun clean up the practise room all by himself.

 

But they’re wandering though, why Woohyun was not chosen as the backup dancer in either Sungjong’s team or Sunggyu’s team if he is that good of a dancer and the teacher favour him so much?

 

While the trainees busying themselves thinking about him, Woohyun himself had run off to the next floor. Since Hoya still not coming back, he guess Hoya still in the meeting. Woohyun ask a staff if Sunggyu had finish his radio show and the staff told him the singer just arrive at the company. Woohyun didn’t wait any longer to dash off. He just hope the meeting was not in Sunggyu’s room.

 

Woohyun want to just open the door but his consciousness remind him of not being rude, no matter how furious he is at the older. He knock on the door, waiting for any sound but heard nothing, he slowly open the door.

 

He feels his heart beating in his chest. Sunggyu is sitting on the reclining chair with his eyes closed. There is no one beside him in the room. Woohyun gulp his saliva as he step inside the room and close the door as softly as he could to not disturbing Sunggyu’s sleep. He paddled to the chair, watching Sunggyu’s tired face closely.

 

He feels tears filled his eyes and his heart clench tightly.

 

“My Sunggyu hyung, you’re still so handsome,” he whispers. “I miss you…”

 

“If you miss me, why did you went to no contact with me?”

 

Woohyun gasp, he jump slightly backward. Sunggyu open his eyes, ready to talk some sense into the other’s head or to but Sunggyu jump from his chair when he saw Woohyun quickly turns his face and brush the corner of his eyes. Sunggyu grab Woohyun’s arms, forcing the younger to look at him.

 

“You’re crying…” It was a statement rather than a question.

 

“No,” Woohyun deny.

 

“Stop lying to me, Nam Woohyun,” Sunggyu half shout. “If you miss me, say so. If you want me, say so. If you love me, scream to the world just like you did before.”

 

Woohyun gather his strength to push Sunggyu’s hands off him. “Never. It was in the past and I don’t want to be caught in the past,”

 

“You just declare you miss me,”

 

“You heard wrong.”

 

Sunggyu groans, hating how Woohyun can lie so easily like that. Whatever. They are in Sunggyu’s own practise room, they are alone, they are standing with nothing between them. Sunggyu grabs Woohyun’s hand and quickly pulls the other into his arms, surprising him. Woohyun wiggle in his hug. 

 

“I miss you, Woohyun, so much,” Sunggyu whispers.

 

Woohyun struggle to break free. He push Sunggyu away. He had to balled his fists to stop himself from slapping the older. “Stop, Sunggyu-shi…”

 

“No. You stop!” Sunggyu shouts. “Stop calling me Sunggyu-shi. I hate it,”

 

“Sunggyu-nim.”

 

Sunggyu gawk at the younger. The thought to choke Woohyun crossed his mind. He is mad. He is furious beyond belief. But the younger look at him like nothing wrong and with that innocent clueless face of his. Sunggyu want to pinch his cheeks, to coo at his cuteness and to lock his head under his arm to ruffle his hair to make it messy.

 

Sunggyu turns around, he put his palm to his mouth to hold in his scream.

 

He is frustrated with himself. The thoughts debating themselves in his mind make him questioning his own mental health.

 

No. No. No.

 

Nothing is wrong with him. Yeah. Right.

 

This is all Woohyun’s fault.

 

Woohyun always make him not like himself.

 

The Nam Woohyun he always love and the Nam Woohyun who makes him experience this anger.

 

He heard Woohyun healed a breath before his voice coming out next. “I hope you’re joking about me debuting.”

 

Sunggyu spun around facing the younger. “What?”

 

“What you said last night. I hope you’re joking. I don’t want to debut. I don’t want to be a singer,” Woohyun says, as calmly as he could.

 

“I’m not joking. You are going to debut. We’re collecting songs suitable for you,”

 

“Are you insane?” Woohyun shouts. “What part of I don’t want you don’t understand? You can’t force me to do something I don’t want,”

 

“Oh, believe me, we could, and I can,” Sunggyu says. “You can sing, Woohyun. You know you can. I don’t understand why you don’t want to debut,”

 

“Must I have a reason?” Woohyun didn’t tone down his voice. He is too angry to be polite. “I don’t want means I don’t want,”

 

“If this about your stage fright, that’s bull. We can help you overcome that illness and you’re stronger than you show yourself to.” Sunggyu starting to raise his voice as well.

 

“I’m not that strong, I don’t want anyone help.”

 

Sunggyu eyed the younger. Woohyun looks furious yet there’s pain and frightened in his eyes. “What’s wrong with you? There are 11 players in soccer and you can face them alone in the field. You can bring victory to your team. You’re strong, Woohyun. Why are you so scared to face the fans on stage?”

 

“For your information, Sunggyu-shi, it has been five years since I play soccer. That was so long ago and I’m not as strong as I used to be.”

 

Silence.

 

Five years? That was as long as our last contact. Sunggyu caught Woohyun’s eyes shining with tears. What happen to you, Woohyun?

 

Sunggyu move his foot, reaching out his hand to grab Woohyun and to pulls him in his arms. Realizing Sunggyu’s action, Woohyun move his feet backward.

 

“Woohyunie, please. You’re scaring me…” Sunggyu plead.

 

“St…stop. Don’t move,” Woohyun warns, hand up to stop Sunggyu.

 

But the elder ignore him. Sunggyu grab Woohyun’s hand just when the younger turns around to fly the room.

 

“Sorry I’m late, Sunggyu hyung. They don’t have…”

 

Sunggyu and Woohyun lift their head, shocked. The manager Jang Dongwoo stood frozen at the door holding a take away cup holder watching his artist and a trainee stunned at his entrance. He turns his head at the back and ask whoever behind him to wait. Dongwoo sneak into the room in between the small opening of the door to make sure no one can get to peek what is inside the room. He put the holder with four drinks on it on the table, straightening himself and clasp his hands.

 

“So, care to explain what happen in here?” he ask smiling the angelic smile of his.

 

“I’m sorry, I should go now,” Woohyun quickly says and bowing his head to the two men.

 

But he still has his hand locked in Sunggyu’s and it doesn’t look like the singer want to let him go.

 

Woohyun wriggle his hand. “Sunggyu-shi.” He then turns to Dongwoo for help.

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” Dongwoo says. “I don’t know what happen but this is not the right time. You can talk with Woohyun later. Your group of backup dancers are waiting to have a meeting with you,”

 

“No.” Sunggyu tightens his hold. “Ask them to wait. We’re not finish yet.”

 

Dongwoo sighs. “There are rumours down there if Woohyun didn’t get back to his practise. If you want to talk, we can schedule a time where the both of you being civil.”

 

Sunggyu quirk his eyebrow. He really want to squeeze everything Woohyun is hiding to understand him better, to help him, to have him back in his life. But a bad rumours about Woohyun is the last thing he want right now. They can added more to Woohyun’s list of ‘objection to debut’. And it will be harder to convince him later.

 

Sunggyu sighs. He paddled to the table, dragging Woohyun with him. He pick up one of the drinks Dongwoo brought over and give them to Woohyun.

 

“Iced chocolate,” he says.

 

Woohyun take the drink with his other free hand. He eyed the drink and a sense of nostalgia hit him. He lift his head and smile softly. “Thank…thank you.”

 

Sunggyu returns the smile as he loosen his hold and slowly let go. Woohyun bows to Sunggyu, then to Dongwoo, before he left the room. He is surprise at finding Sunggyu’s backup dancers lined outside of the room, watching him curiously. He smile at them and quickly walk away, ignoring Hoya, if he even there because Woohyun can’t bring himself to see their faces.

 

“What was that?” Dongwoo asks.

 

Sunggyu sighs. “I don’t know,”

 

“You don’t know?” Dongwoo furrowed his eyebrow. “Did you call him in?”

 

He shakes his head. “No. He came by himself,”

 

Dongwoo eyed his artist. “Did he say about the debut last night?”

 

Sunggyu can only nods his head.

 

Dongwoo sighs. “Clear your mind. You have your group to meet to.” He turns around and walk to the door.

 

“Yah, I’m your hyung.”

 

Dongwoo turns his head to look behind his shoulder, he grins. “I’m your boss.”

 

Sunggyu groans when Dongwoo smile cheekily and open the door to call the group of dance trainees to walk inside the room. Sunggyu prepare himself to be professional. He swear he will dig Woohyun’s past and fix whatever trouble he is facing.

 

My beautiful Woohyunie. I miss you too.

 

-----------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

 

A lot of new characters in here. Just hope they are only extra who come once in a while. The names is BtoB members by the way.