Chapter 11

Because You're My...

 

“Morning, Woohyun. Did you sleep well?” Dongwoo enter the VIP ward happily and cheerfully greets the patient. But his cheerfulness died down as soon as he reach the bed. “What…what’s wrong?”

 

Woohyun sits on his hospital bed, looking tired and gloomy than ever, like a real patient himself. Dongwoo ice breaking in his head, thinking what had gone wrong last night. But no matter how hard he try to remember, he believe he did leave the room with a good account. They talked calmly and he got an agreement from the younger to join their tour. He never once raise his voice at him or got into an argument with him. Well…it was questions and answers phase when Woohyun looked like he wants to walk out. He replies to Woohyun’s question patiently and the younger give in at the end. He thought everything would be okay and Woohyun is well enough to start their journey.  

 

So…why did he look burned out and more sick this morning?

 

“Is…is everything okay?” Dongwoo asks, walking closer one step after another.

 

“Dongwoo-shi…” Woohyun replies and Dongwoo admit, he really hate the sound of it. “Can I not go?”

 

“What?” Dongwoo half shout, surprise. “Why? Why all of sudden? You had agreed last night,”

 

“I…” Woohyun look down on his hands on his laps. “I don’t think I can go,”

 

“Woohyun.” Dongwoo dash to Woohyun’s side, he grab his hands and make him lift his head to look at him. “What’s wrong? You’re okay last night. Why you suddenly doesn’t want to go?” He scans Woohyun’s body. “Are you hurt somewhere?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head. “No. I’m fine. It just…I’m sorry, Dongwoo-shi, but I really don’t want to go…”

 

“What do you mean you don’t want to go?”

 

Woohyun gasp, pulling his hands from Dongwoo’s hold. He lowered his head, unable to see Sunggyu’s face. Dongwoo turns to look at the approaching singer, paddling closer to the bed. Sunggyu look as confused as Dongwoo but more hurt.

 

Woohyun didn’t answer, he fiddled with the blanket on his laps. He wants to cry. He wants to wail. He wants to scream till his throat hurt. But he can’t. Not in front of Sunggyu. Not when Sunggyu is preparing for an important world concert. He doesn’t want to worry him when he should only think of his concerts and fans.

 

He wince when the bed dipped, and startled when a pair of hands grab his. He doesn’t need to lift his head to look. He knows. The pair of pretty white hands belong to Sunggyu. The warm comforting hand belong to his Sunggyu hyung.

 

“Woohyunie…” Sunggyu plead. “Look at me.”

 

Woohyun shakes his head.

 

“Look at me, Woohyun,” he tries again, softer, as if he trying to console a crying child.

 

Slowly, Woohyun lift his head. Sunggyu’s eyes twitch seeing the redness in Woohyun’s eyes. His heart tickling with uneasiness.

 

“What’s wrong? Why you don’t want to go? Are you scared? Did it hurt?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head. “Hyung…I really don’t want to go.”

 

Hyung. Woohyun calls him hyung. Of course. It was what Woohyun addressed him since yesterday but it still blossom his heart. He hope Woohyun would always call him by this and quit with the formality.

 

Sunggyu wants to smile but he remind himself the words coming after the hyung. Woohyun doesn’t want to go. Why?

 

“Why? Why all of a sudden?”

 

He shakes his head again, he sniffed back the tears. “I…really don’t want to go,”

 

“Woohyun, you promise you will go.” He glance at Dongwoo. “You promise Dongwoo, you agreed to join. We had prepare everything and take care of everything. You don’t have to worry,”

 

“No. It’s not because of the money or work…” he replies dejectedly.

 

“Then why?” Sunggyu tightens his hold. “Why Woohyun?”

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” Dongwoo quickly jump in, seeing Woohyun is uncomfortable and miserable enough, he doesn’t need Sunggyu to depress him more and forced him to the corner. They just succeeded to lure Woohyun out of his comfort zone. With Sunggyu’s desperate way of coaxing, they might return to square one. “Calm down. Let him talk.”

 

Sunggyu lowered his head, he brush Woohyun’s back hand with his thumb. He pulls the hands to his lips and realize they are shaking.

 

Dongwoo frowns. Something definitely wrong with these two. Knowing Sunggyu for five years, he knows the elder dislike touching and he really respect a personal space. He was fine if people put their hand on his shoulder or hold his arm, if that people is someone he is really close with. Dongwoo only get these permission after he was debut three years ago, after much scowling and warning. For Sunggyu to hold Woohyun’s hand, moreover kiss his hands, prove that these two didn’t have a normal just friend relationship.

 

His thought broke when Woohyun open his lips.

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” Woohyun calls. “I’m really sorry. But I really can’t…”

 

Sunggyu lift his head, eyes searching the younger. His blood boiled, a little. “But why? You can’t or you don’t want?”

 

“Both.”

 

Sunggyu sighs. He let go of Woohyun’s hands. He cup Woohyun’s cheek. Woohyun shut his eyes when Sunggyu’s thumb went to brush his eyelids. Wet. The droplet of tears make a contact with Sunggyu’s skin.

 

“I will go take care of your papers, they should be done by now,” he says, standing up and left the room.

 

Dongwoo follows Sunggyu with his eyes. Then he look at the patient. “Woohyun, tell me the truth. Why you suddenly want to back out? Did something happen after I left? Did someone said something to you?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head. “I didn’t see anyone or talk to anyone after you left,”

 

“Then why?” Dongwoo is desperate, and confused. “Did you just agreed with us last night just to have us stop bothering you, and you plan to back out when we’re ready to take you to the airport?”

 

Woohyun quickly shakes his head. “No. No, Dongwoo-shi. I didn’t…I never think of lying to you.” He lowered his head. “It’s true, last night when I said I will go, I really plan on going.” He lift his head, his eyes glossy with tears. “But when I woke up, I think I shouldn’t go. It’s better if I don’t go.”

 

Dongwoo quirk his eyebrow. “You shouldn’t go? Woohyun, did something happen? You said you can’t go, you don’t want to go, you shouldn’t go. It has different meaning. Surely something had bothering you that you suddenly refuse to join.”

 

Dongwoo is desperate. They plan to sign the papers, pick Woohyun up and go to the airport. They have more than enough time until boarding. But Dongwoo hates dilly dally and rushing to the airport. Fans know Sunggyu’s schedule and they will swamp the airport just to get a glimpse of their idol. Walking in the sea of fans is never easy. They usually take a lot of time going through even with security and bodyguards. Dongwoo likes to reach the airport as soon as possible and take a rest before the boarding time.

 

This prove impossible when Woohyun being difficult as soon as they reach the hospital. He thought Woohyun would clean up and be ready to go, or eat his breakfast at least. But the patient staying still on his hospital bed in his hospital gown, his meal untouched and he looks tired as if he didn’t get a wink of sleep.

 

If it’s up to him, Dongwoo thought of just leaving without Woohyun. They will take care of his papers and send him home, before going to the airport. There’s no point in arguing or forcing him. They will go to a foreign land, it will be hard to have someone unwilling in their team. Anything could happen and before it did, Dongwoo think they better give in to Woohyun’s wish.

 

But Sunggyu doesn’t want to leave without Woohyun. He won’t let Woohyun stay in Seoul alone by himself. Dongwoo is sure of this. Watching their too close of interaction just now, had him double his believe. Sunggyu won’t go without Woohyun.

 

He has to think of ways to talk to Woohyun and Sunggyu. He has to arrange his words to create the most comforting phrase to cajole each one of them. He has to persuade Woohyun to change his mind and if he is stick to not going, he has to coax Sunggyu to just respect Woohyun’s decision and go without him.

 

Think, Dongwoo, think.

 

Dongwoo feels his heart drop at the sound of the door opens. No way. He is not ready yet. He quickly turns around and heave out a sigh of relief when it were Sungyeol and Hoya comes rushing inside.

 

“Hoya, what are you doing here? I thought we will see you at the airport?” Dongwoo says.

 

“I’m sorry, Dongwoo-hyung,” Sungyeol says instead. “Can I talk to Woohyun privately?”

 

Dongwoo blink his eyes, taken aback. Slowly he nods his head. “Of…of course.”

 

Dongwoo pats Woohyun’s head before he walk to the sofa area, Hoya following him, leaving Sungyeol talking with the patient.

 

“He came?” Sungyeol asks as soon as he sits at the edge of the bed.

 

Woohyun nods his head as an answer.

 

“So you don’t want to go?”

 

Woohyun nods his head again.

 

Sungyeol sighs worriedly. “Woohyun, you can’t be like this forever,”

 

“Then what should I do, Sungyeol? What can I do?” Woohyun cries. “He came to warns me. He doesn’t want me to go,”

 

“Woohyun, listen to me.” Sungyeol grabs Woohyun’s hands. “May be its true but you can’t be like this forever. You can’t let him interfere with your life anymore, you can’t let him hinder your future,”

 

“What should I do?” Woohyun’s tears falling on his cheeks.

 

“You should go, just go. You’re strong, Woohyun. You have to show him you’re not scared and you’re walking your life the way you want, the way you should,”

 

“What if he come when I’m in London?” He shakes his head. “I don’t want anyone to know. I’m afraid I will get sleep deprived and trouble everyone when I’m working.”

 

“Woohyun, it takes 12 hours from Seoul to London. It may be more if we count from Sabuk. He can’t go that far, hopefully.”

 

He can’t help but to chuckles at his friend’s comment. Sungyeol smiles. He knows Woohyun is scared. It has been five years and Kibum never stop visiting his dream whenever Woohyun had a major breakthrough news in his life. Woohyun interpret this as a warning from his dead friend. He doesn’t want Woohyun to have a good life, he want Woohyun live in a dull and miserable life as he can get.

 

Sungyeol let go of Woohyun’s hand as he search his pocket for something. He grab that thing and put them in Woohyun’s hand. The patient look at the small pill box in his hand then lift his head looking at Sungyeol, puzzled.

 

“Sleeping pill. Don’t take them tonight. If he come, you take one tomorrow night. Hopefully this will help you.”

 

Woohyun look at the box again. It has three pills inside the box. Enough for the days when he will be in London, if he doesn’t take them every night. He lift his head. “You won’t let me take a sleeping pill before.”

 

Sungyeol rubs his hair. “I have to. Just for this time. While you’re there in London, I will go to Sabuk to visit him,”

 

“You don’t have to, Sungyeol. Nothing will change if you go,”

 

“We have to at least try, right?”

 

“We tried,”

 

“It had been five years, Woohyun. He might change his mind this time. We should at least try.”

 

Woohyun sighs, he lowered his head again.

 

“You will go, okay. You will join the tour. Don’t be afraid. Stay strong,” Sungyeol says.

 

Woohyun doesn’t reply, he play with the pill box.

 

Sungyeol pats Woohyun’s head, making the smaller man look at him. He smiles. “You’re strong, Woohyun. You’re not afraid of him. You never scared of him. This time, you should stand still and show him you will live your life just like you deserve,”

 

“Sungyeol…” Woohyun’s lower lip tremble.

 

Sungyeol pulls Woohyun in his arms, he brush his fingers through Woohyun’s hair. “You’re strong, Woohyun. You can do it. I know you can. You know you can.”

 

Dongwoo and Hoya sit at the visiting sofa area, watching the two best friends with concern and hope. Hoya told the manager, as soon as he wake up, Sungyeol said he want to go to the hospital for a visit. He thought Sungyeol just want to check on Woohyun since he fail to do so yesterday because Dongwoo drag them out to give privacy to Sunggyu and Woohyun. Sungyeol didn’t say anything in the taxi and play with his hand phone, checking on his schedules. And Hoya was surprised when Dongwoo informed him of Woohyun’s abruptly want to back out.

 

Sunggyu comes back to the ward, stunned by the two luggage bags by the door. He stop on his step when he caught Woohyun in the arms of someone else. Lee Sungyeol. He feels his blood boiled as he fist his knuckles. Jealousy clouded his mind and he saw red. He move his feet to march to the bed to yank Sungyeol away but his arm is caught first and he is dragged away from the bed.

 

Sunggyu open his mouth to shouts but before a voice can jump out, a hand flew to his mouth first. Dongwoo shush him and put a finger to his lips. Sunggyu’s eyes move to Hoya who bows his head as a greeting.

 

Dongwoo retreat his hand to the side and push Sunggyu to sit on the sofa, facing Hoya and side facing the bed. “Let them talk. May be Sungyeol can make Woohyun change his mind.”

 

Sunggyu crossed his arms on his chest, obviously hating the idea of someone else manage to make Woohyun to reconsider when he fail to do so.

 

Dongwoo sighs as he sits beside the singer. “Hoya was shocked when I told him Woohyun doesn’t want to go.”

 

Sunggyu look at Hoya, frowning, then he look at Dongwoo. “I don’t understand,”

 

“Woohyun text me last night to remind me to bring his cap along,” Hoya informs.

 

“If Woohyun ask to bring his cap, that means he does want to go.” Dongwoo tilted his head. “But then he said he doesn’t want to go, meaning something might happen that make him suddenly change his mind.”

 

Sunggyu turns his head to the bed. To his relief, Sungyeol and Woohyun had break the hug. “What really happen?” he ask still with his eyes on the bed.

 

“That’s something we have to find out for later. But now, we have to make sure he agree to join.” Dongwoo look at Sunggyu. “But if Sungyeol failed to persuade him…”

 

Sunggyu turns around to face his manager.

 

“Please don’t make a scene and we should just left without him. May be Woohyun needs more time,”

 

“But I can’t…”

 

“I know you refuse to left Woohyun alone. But we can’t force him to follow us. We’re going to a foreign land, hyung, an English speaking country. It will be a problem if something bad happen,”

 

“Woohyun won’t create a problem,”

 

“Are you sure?” Dongwoo smirk as if to challenge him and Sunggyu hates how right his manager is. “You said so yourself, Woohyun is a lot stubborn now. We can’t be too sure, anything can happen. May be Woohyun would do great but who knows someone else make a trouble for him?”

 

And Sunggyu hates him more. He can’t be too confident and at ease. Anything can happen. He believe in Woohyun, he believe his Woohyun won’t make a problem. But… Sunggyu turns his head to the bed. This Woohyun and the old Woohyun he knows in their teen is different. His cute bubbly little Woohyun had turn to an aloof man and refused to make a step for his name. And that accident, the accident which make a turning point in their relationship and change his Woohyun to a new Woohyun he desperately want to embrace.

 

Sunggyu startled and jump to his feet when Sungyeol stand up, turns around and walking to them. He stretch his neck to see Woohyun had left the bed as well and paddled to the bathroom.

 

Sungyeol smiles, showing his gum. “I’m sorry for the trouble, Sunggyu hyung, Dongwoo hyung. Woohyun is fine now. I hope the offer still valid for Woohyun to join the tour.”

 

Dongwoo has a big smiles on his face as he leap to Sungyeol’s side. “He want to join? He change his mind?”

 

Sungyeol nods. “He will go,”

 

“Thank God.” Hoya heave out a relief breathe before he point a finger to the taller. “You, you know something aren’t you? You barged in here as if you already know Woohyun refuse to go.”

 

Sunggyu and Dongwoo look at Sungyeol, frowning at the accusation.

 

“I’m sorry.” Sungyeol rubs his hair before he bows to both Sunggyu and Dongwoo, then straightens his back. “I received a text from Woohyun, around three in the morning, saying he doesn’t want to go.” Sungyeol lied. He can’t tell them the content of the message because I’m scared bring a lot of meaning and both he and Woohyun doesn’t want to explain to anyone.

 

Dongwoo gasp, Hoya tilted his head, Sunggyu still has frowns on his forehead.

 

“Three in the morning?” Dongwoo half shout. “Did he just miraculously had a thought of not going when he is sleeping?”

 

“Well…kind of…”

 

“What…? Sungyeol, what the hell happen actually?” Hoya asks.

 

Sungyeol look at Hoya, then at Sunggyu, then at Hoya. “That…something I shouldn’t say.” He turns to Sunggyu apologetically. “I’m really sorry, but this time, it’s not my place to tell, you have to ask Woohyun yourself.”

 

-----------

 

Sunggyu can’t stop smiling and Woohyun hate it, hate him.

 

“Will you stop that?”

 

“What?”

 

“Stop smiling. You look like an idiot, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu pouts, but then he grins. “I’m just happy.”

 

Woohyun turns his head to the window. “I shouldn’t agree to come,”

 

“We’re 35,000 feet in the air. No turning back now,” Sunggyu says happily.

 

Woohyun keep his mouth shut, didn’t response. He should just let Sunggyu flying in his cloud nine while he take his rest. The flight will take 12 hours and he will be push out of his sanity if he get into an argument with Sunggyu without a path to run away.

 

He is startled when a hand touch his and intertwined their fingers. He turns around but Sunggyu fake an oblivious. The elder is reading his flight magazine with one hand while his other hand tied with Woohyun’s under the blanket.

 

He knows it was a wrong move to agree to have his seat beside Sunggyu. Dongwoo said since his ticket bought in the last minute, there is no economy seat left so he can’t sit with Hoya and the other staff. The only tickets available are in the business class with them. Dongwoo is supposed to sit with Sunggyu and his own seat is at the back near the economy class. But Dongwoo push Woohyun to sit with Sunggyu with an excuse he need to be closer with the economy class to take care of the team members.

 

Woohyun doesn’t understand though. Dongwoo is a manager artist, he manage an artist, which means Sunggyu. He should take care of Sunggyu and the other team members are not in his responsibility. But if the team members’ fall on his shoulder, it’s no wonder Dongwoo needs his help. Sunggyu has a big team and touring with them is not easy. That’s why Dongwoo need an assistant and Woohyun would help him as much as he could.

 

But sitting with Sunggyu prove impossible. The singer is too happy to Woohyun’s liking. He is happy when Woohyun agreed to go. He is happy when Woohyun is indeed in the car with them going to the airport. He is happy when Woohyun is in the crowd of the backup dancer waiting for their boarding time. He is happy when Woohyun sits beside him. He is happy when he realize Woohyun can’t run away with the window by his side and Sunggyu on his other side.

 

Since they sit in the business class, the other passengers mostly are the English businessmen and businesswomen, foreigner and Korean citizen who may be too old to recognize Sunggyu. That’s why the singer is too brazen with his action. He throw the blanket over their laps with an excuse the flight is too cold and he want Woohyun comfortable in the long hour. But actually, the blanket is there for the easy access for him to sneak his hand to hold Woohyun’s under the blanket without the curious eyes of the stewardess.

 

“Are you okay, Woohyun?” Dongwoo asks.

 

Woohyun nods his head. “Yes, I’m fine Dongwoo-shi,”

 

“I’m your artist. Did you care about your assistant more than your artist?” Sunggyu pouts.

 

“If you pull the footrest, you can lie down on your seat and sleep better,” Dongwoo says, ignoring the elder. “But I hope you are not sleeping around this time, they will serve your meal soon and you need to eat to take your medicine. After you’re done eating, you can go to sleep, okay?”

 

Woohyun nods again. “Okay,”

 

“Ask Sunggyu hyung if you need anything, if he can’t help, feel free to ask me.” He smiles then turns to Sunggyu. “Do you need anything, hyung?”

 

“No, I’m fine,” Sunggyu replies, half sulking half joking.

 

“You too, don’t sleep before you eat yet. I will be at the back if you need me,” Dongwoo says then he turns around and left the two.

 

“I should change my seat with Dongwoo-shi,” Woohyun says. “You should sit with your manager, hyung,”

 

“Stay still,” Sunggyu says. “He will be fine and I am fine. I just need you here with me.”

 

Woohyun didn’t replies as he straightens his body and throw his eyes out the window, feeling his cheeks warm.

 

“You know,” Sunggyu says, leaning closer till their shoulders touch. “I always wish to go on a trip with you.”

 

Woohyun turns around to face Sunggyu. He lean his head away slightly when Sunggyu’s face too close and one wrong move, their lips will meet. 

 

“I want to work hard and have a lot of money so we can ride a flight together, going on a trip to foreign country and spend times together, just the two of us.” He brush his thumb on Woohyun’s back hand. “This is a work trip, we are with a lot of other people and our accommodation paid by the company. Not a holiday I wish for but it can do for this time, since I can be with you.”

 

Woohyun feels his cheeks grow hotter and he hates it if Sunggyu realize how red it is.

 

“One day, after the tour end, I will take you to a holiday, just the two of us. For now, please don’t be stubborn and listen to Dongwoo and me, okay?”

 

Woohyun find himself nods his head unconsciously.

 

Sunggyu smiles. “Please tell me anything and don’t keep a secret from me, okay?”

 

Woohyun gulp the lump in his throat. He knows Sunggyu only want the best for him and make sure he is fine enough for the work. But deep down, he feels like Sunggyu is asking him something more than he can indulge. Sunggyu is drilling out information he keep and he might have to open his Pandora box much to his liking. 

 

----------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

 

This is my third Infinite fanfic and I’ve realize the characters are the same for some members. Sungyeol is the ultimate loyal best friend of Woohyun, and Dongwoo is the mature man with wise words. Of course, the cute and bubbly little Woohyun and the handsome sophisticated Sunggyu too.

 

I can’t run away from Sungyeol and Dongwoo, not at the moment. Because they both are suited with this characteristic and I love writing Sungyeol as the best friend who always be there for Woohyun, and Dongwoo would always jump in to knock some sense into some people.

 

If I do write other Infinite fanfics, I hope I have other characteristic for these two. If I do and if I can.