She's Always Special

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke dipped his finger on the bowl of icing Mirai just whipped and gave it a taste.

Ryosuke: Put more sugar.

Mirai: Okay.

They are recreating the Vanilla cupcake from the convenience store after the success of the strawberry shortcake. Ryosuke was sensing another success baking and they were already ready to frost the cupcake.

Ryosuke: Oh yeah, when will the renovation be completed?

He looked at the construction guys walking back and forth in front of them.

Mirai: Maybe two more weeks.

Ryosuke: (nods) I’d be back to business in a week. But I’d try to visit during the opening.

Mirai: You don’t have to. I know you barely even sleep with such work schedule.

Ryosuke looked at Mirai gave the icing one more whip.

Mirai: (lifts the mixer) Okay, that’s it.

Ryosuke: So how was it? Retiring from the entertainment industry?

Mirai thought for a while.

Mirai: Liberating. Better sleeping schedule—that, I can brag about.

Ryosuke laughed.

Mirai: But at first, I really missed the work. You know getting all glamour during tv guesting and photoshoots, and be a total mess on day-offs.

Both laughed.

Mirai: Sleeping on site tents during filming and eating filming site food. You know, those bad days when you drink your soup on a paper cup. (laughs) Getting free stuffs from sponsors. Or getting all full disguise when you go shopping and going out with friends.

Ryosuke: The last one is hell.

Mirai: (laughs) Oh, you remember that time Kamiki and I had a dating rumor?

Ryosuke laughed.

Mirai: People never knew you were there too.

Ryosuke: I was always smart to leave 15 minutes after you two.

Mirai: You only thought of yourself!

Ryosuke: Hey! I am a Johnny’s!

Mirai: Right.

Ryosuke: And it to be a Johnny’s!

That made Mirai burst out into laughter which was joined by Ryosuke. Slowly, the laughter subsided and both sighed at the same time.

Mirai: I am sorry about you and Satoko-san breaking up.

Ryosuke: (looks briefly at Mirai) Oh it’s… a mutual decision. We thought of it carefully.

Mirai looked at him, listening carefully.

Ryosuke: It was true after our relationship got exposed to the public, everything went a little bit shakey. She experienced harassment from my fans. Yeah, I am not proud of that. (sighs) But, it was not the reason…why…(looks briefly at Mirai)…why we broke up.

Mirai looked confused.

Ryosuke let out an awkward single chuckle.

Ryosuke: You know that we were on an on-and-off relationship for 4 years, right?

Mirai nodded.

Ryosuke: (nods) Yeah. Everything was actually a little unstable after unnn…a year since we started dating. It’s uh—It’s a me-problem.

Mirai: Work might have just taken a toll on you.

Ryosuke: Yeah?

Mirai: (chuckle) What could become a problem between you and Satoko-san other than Johnny’s stuffs? (looks up at Ryosuke)

Ryosuke just stared back at her—long. Deep.

Mirai: (laughs) Nothing! You’re a Johnny’s and that’ll be the only problem you’ll ever have when you’re on a relationship.

Ryosuke kept his eyes on her, when suddenly she hit him lightly on the stomach.

Mirai: You loved her. So don’t be too hard on yourself. (smiles)

Mirai took the bowl of whipped cream to the table and started scooping it inside a piping bag. Ryosuke can only watch her from behind, thinking about how Mirai was so clueless about everything.

He leaned on the counter and sighed.

Mirai on the other hand moved her eyes to the side, enough to see his silhouette behind her. She breathed tightly, trying to ignore what she might have just realized.

 

*****

 

[2016]

Yuto: You what?

Yuto pulled out from the bar seat, slamming the shot glass on the bar counter. Now he knew why they were on a drinking session again.

Yuto: You and Satoko broke up?

Chinen: Tell me this is just one of those ‘cool offs’ you two used to have.

Ryosuke: No, she said she unnn…she wanted to break up.

Yuto: Because?

Ryosuke just answered him with a sigh.

Chinen: Oh no, don’t tell me this is…(sighs) This is about Mirai again?

Yuto can only lift his head to Ryosuke, surprised.

Yuto: Oh god. You mean Satoko knows about you and Mirai’s little high school fling?

Ryosuke: No. She knows nothing. She just thought I had a…thing… for Mirai.

Yuto: Which is true but how did Satoko notice that?

Chinen looked at Yuto. Yuto looked back at Chinen. And that made Yuto growled.

Yuto: What the—! It’s the way you look at her! Why’d you still look at Mirai THAT way even with Satoko’s presence, you insensitive jerk!

Ryosuke: What?!

Ryosuke looked confused.

Chinen: Nobody might have ever told you but you stared at Mirai too much.

Ryosuke: Huh?

Chinen: (nods) Maybe you do it unconsciously but…your eyes just land at her differently, you know.

Ryosuke was silence as he frowned trying to recollect things.

Ryosuke: Does she notice that too?

He said worriedly.

Chinen: (shrugs) Maybe not. You know Mirai. She’s still dense.

Yuto: (sighs) Oh god Yama. But Mirai already moved on! She doesn’t have feelings for you anymore! At least that’s what we all know.

Chinen: And you think Mirai-chan’s okay with ‘starting anew because I don’t have a girlfriend anymore’?

Ryosuke: I didn’t say anything about that?! I know she doesn’t want me anymore! (sighs)

Umika: Oh, there they are!

Suddenly they heard Umika’s voice from behind and the three boys looked back. Umika was with Mirai, who was obviously from work with the amount of makeup on her face. She never wears makeup on meetups unless she’s from work.

Chinen glimpse at Ryosuke and had to clear his throat.

Chinen: Ryosuke, you’re doing it again.

That made Ryosuke gasped and blink, turning back at his drink instead.

Yuto: (whisper) Sorry, I thought it was fine to invite them over. Actually, I invited more. Kamiki and Suzuka’s already coming too. Don’t worry, Shuhei won’t be able to come because the dude is very busy with Chihayafuru premiere. Jingi and Hayato are busy too.

Ryosuke: It’s fine.

Yuto moved two seats away from Chinen to provide seats for Umika and Mirai. Umika took the seat next to Chinen and Mirai was in between Umika and Yuto.

Umika: So, what are you guys having?

Chinen: Mugi Shochu.

Umika: Okay. We’ll have shochu as well.

Mirai: Umika! (eyes Umika) I don’t have a car to drive you home. (looks at the bartender) Two lemon sour.

The bartender nodded.

Umika: (sighs) Anyway, congratulations to Yamada-kun for the second movie of Assassination Classroom!

Ryosuke smiled.

Mirai: Oh yes, next week will be the premiere!

Yuto: Hey, you guys were not that excited when Pink and Gray premiered. It was an entry for the International Film Festival! (pouts)

Mirai: Of course we were excited too, Yuto-kun. It’s just that this is the sequel of the first AssClass movie and it’ll be centered to Korosensei!

Yuto: Fine, anime-otaku Mirai.

Mirai laughed.

Umika: But why is the main lead not that excited? (looks at Ryosuke behind Chinen)

Ryosuke: (forced a smile) It’s not like that at all.

Mirai: Are you alright?

Ryosuke: (glimpses at Mirai) Yeah. Yeah.

Chinen: Well, he and Satoko-chan seemed to break up.

Mirai: Again?! (turns to Ryosuke) What happened?

Ryosuke unconsciously stared at Mirai, when suddenly Chinen elbowed him the gut making the guy cough.

Mirai: Are you okay?

Ryosuke: (coughs) Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just a little misunderstanding.

Umika: A little? She broke up with you, I’m sure it’s a big deal.

Chinen looked at Umika, secretly sending virtual messages to her which she immediately understood as she glimpsed at Mirai who was taking a sip of her drink.

Mirai: I’m sure you’ll gonna fix that little misunderstanding soon enough. (smiles) You always do.

Later, Kamiki and Suzuka arrived and the atmosphere got a little better with better topic to ponder on. They had a whole lot of laughter that Friday night of March 18, 2016.

It was already 11 in the evening when they decided to go home. They were walking to the parking lot.

Yuto: I’ll drive Suzuka, Umika and Chinen since we will be heading to the same direction.

Kamiki: I will be heading straight to work so you take Mirai with you, Yama-chan.

Ryosuke just nodded.

 

When they were heading to their cars, all of a suddenly a black Lexus GS-F dashed in. It got all of their attention, especially when a tall guy in suit came out of the expensive car with a bouquet of pink flowers.

Ryusei Ryo stood there, eyes straight to only Mirai.

Mirai: Ryusei-kun?

Ryosuke can’t help look at Mirai before darting a glare at the expensive-looking guy.

Mirai walked her way closer to Ryo.

Mirai: What are you doing here?

Ryo: I texted Umika-chan, asking your whereabouts.

Umika winked when Mirai looked at her.

Ryo handed Mirai the roses which she took. Apparently, they have been catching up since August last year when they meet again on a party.

Mirai: What’s…(smiles nervously) What’s this?

Ryo took a deep breath, as he fixed his suit.

Ryo: I will be in Australia for a week and I just thought I can’t wait til then to ask you this. (sighs)

Ryosuke stared at them from a distant, gritting his teeth, when suddenly Ryo held Mirai’s hand. Ryosuke can just cursed inside his thoughts.

Ryo: I waited for this day to come. 5 years of waiting and finally, I get this chance to ask you. (sighs) Mirai-chan, would you be my girlfriend?

Mirai gulped nervously as she felt her heartbeat on . She looked at her friends. Umika and Suzuka looked so happy and giddy while the guys just looked at her surprised and unsure.

A smile grew on Mirai’s lips as she looked up that the tall guy in front of her.

Mirai: (nods) Yes.

Ryo: Yes?!

Mirai: (smiles) Yes.

Ryo clenched his first victoriously before pulling Mirai on a very tight hug.

Her friends started clapping their hands while Ryosuke took a very deep breath as he shifted his eyes down and slowly lifted his hands to clap along.

A couple of minutes later, Ryosuke was silently driving his car with a distinct frown on his face. While Mirai was next to him in the front seat, smiling unconsciously looking at the bouquet of roses on her arm.

When she lifted her face, she noticed Ryosuke’s from windshield reflection. She turned to him.

Mirai: I’m sorry you have to drive me home.

Ryosuke: (glimpses at Mirai) No, it’s fine.

Mirai: He’s got a flight in 30 minutes so he gotta leave.

Ryosuke just nodded.

Mirai still looking at him.

Ryosuke: Ah, yeah. Congratulations.

Finally, Mirai smiled.

 

When Ryosuke arrived home after driving Mirai to her condominium building, he noticed a pair of stiletto the moment he entered his door. As he lifted his head, he saw Satoko standing in the living room.

She immediately ran to Ryosuke and hugged him.

Satoko: I’m sorry. It was just a leap of time. I just got paranoid. I’m sorry.

She looked at him.

Satoko: I don’t wanna break up. Ryosuke-kun, you still love me right?

She hugged him again, this time Ryosuke, with a straight face, decided to hug her back.

 

 

*****

 

Mirai dropped the piping bag and cleaned her hands with a napkin. She arranged the frosted Vanilla cupcakes in the tray.

Mirai: Do you want a taste?

Ryosuke who was behind her suddenly snoop next to her, tilted his face to meet her lips, but Mirai was able to avoid him as she was fast enough to take a step back.

At that rate, there was just a five-inched distance between their faces. Mirai’s eyes proved her shock while Ryosuke’s eyes on her lips—was aiming for it before he grabbed a cupcake as he pretended he was really just going to pick up the pastry.

Mirai looked at him confused.

He peeled the cupcake and took a really big bite. As he munched, he pulled a thumb up and nodded multiple times.

Mirai: Are you okay?

Ryosuke continued nodding.

Ryosuke: This one’s good.

He said gibberish.

Mirai: (smiles) Slowly. You’ll choke on it.

The front door opened and Miyu came in.

Miyu: I know you’ll be here!

She said excitedly pointing at Ryosuke.

Mirai: What’s going on?

Miyu: I’m just gonna hand this invitation card for my pre-wedding party to Yamada Ryosuke-niisan.

Miyu handed a pink envelope which Ryosuke took after cleaning his frost-filled fingers.

Ryosuke: Thanks, Miyu-chan.

Miyu: It’ll be on tomorrow. (looks at both Mirai and Ryosuke) I’ll see you two there. (smiles)

 

******

 

Ryosuke sighed the moment he lied on his bed.

Ryosuke: What the fck were you thinking?!

He messed his hair with his hands as he pulled himself up. He spaced out for a while and remembered the shocked face of Mirai when she dodged that supposed kiss.

That made him squeezed his eyes.

Ryosuke: I was out of my head.

He said, spacing out.

When suddenly he remembered, he needs a suit for Miyu’s pre-wedding party.

Ryosuke: Mom, I need a suit for tomorrow!

 

*****

 

Ryosuke arrived in the venue of the pre-wedding party. It was a beautiful open garden, green grass, white sheets, pink and gold hue decorations.

He had a black tuxedo on and his hair was styled like the young Leonardo Di Caprio—split in the middle, slicked back on the side, leaving small strands of hair on the bangs area.

He immediately saw Mirai standing on the banquet table talking to some guests. She was wearing an old rose short puffed sleeve, open-collared dress. Her hair was permed and pearl hair pins on one side.

Mirai noticed Ryosuke. She looked at him briefly before a smile curved in .

They met halfway.

Mirai: There you are!

She grinned, looking at the guy from head to foot.

Mirai: You could have toned down a bit of that idol-aura.

Ryosuke: It’s the hair, right?

Mirai: (nods and chuckles) It screamed ‘celebrity’. Which is alright coz you are, except for the…(she looked around) …the attention you are getting.

Ryosuke looked around, and it seemed all eyes are on them.

Ryosuke: (whispers) I’m sorry, does this screams ‘danger’ too?

Mirai almost laughed as she stood next to him.

Mirai: (whispers) Don’t worry, you are safe here. They are fully aware I can have celebrity friends.

Suddenly Miyu and her fiancé walked in front of the banquet table. He was holding her in hand. He called their attention. He had a short welcome speech before, glasses of wine were passed around by waiters.

Ryosuke picked two and handed one to Mirai.

The fiancé raised his glass after his speech and everyone raised their wine glasses. Then applause raged.

Ryosuke: Where did Miyu met him?

Mirai: Oh, he is a childhood friend. He used to live across our house until 6th grade. They just met again in the university.

Ryosuke: That’s quite of a fate, huh?

Mirai: (smiles) Apparently. (sighs)

Ryosuke turned to her.

Mirai: I can’t help but think Miyu can also end up like me. I love her so much I can’t take it if she’ll go through the same pain. (chuckles) But there’s no point of thinking negatively about other people’s marriage, right? (smiles)

That was then she felt bigger hand secretly held hers in the middle of that crowd.

Ryosuke don’t know why he was holding her hand; all he knew was he wanted to comfort her.

 

*****

 

[2017]

It was Christmas eve, under the ferry lights and surrounded by candles and roses when Ryusei Ryo knelt in front of Shida Mirai with a ring on his hand. She was surprisingly looking at him, nervously happy.

The whole thing was planned. A Christmas outdoor party organized by Umika and Suzuka. For all Mirai don’t know was actually Ryo’s idea to plot the biggest proposal of the year.

They were all there, even Ryosuke was there, who thought was just attending a grand Christmas party but was actually to be spectators for the marriage proposal.

When the fireworks started, Ryo brought out the ring in front of her.

Ryo: Mirai, will you marry me?

Mirai had an idea it’s going to be a proposal but when he asked it formally, she got tensed. Her tongue was stiff, looking around confused, she found Umika already tearing up. She was very happy, as well as the rest of her friends until her eyes met a pair of dejected ones.

She met Ryosuke’s eyes. When he realized she was looking at him, he pulled a forced smile and nodded—as if telling her to do what she has to do. Satoko appeared next to Ryosuke and held his arm.

Mirai turned to Ryo, and with a smile of her face she said yes.

 

*****

 

Mirai pulled her hand from Ryosuke when she noticed Miyu was approaching them. She had a beautiful smile of her face. Mirai hugged her.

Miyu: Come on, nee-chan. Save your tears for my wedding day.

The three of them laughed. Miyu turned to Ryosuke.

Miyu: Thank you for coming. And accompanying my Mirai-nee today.

A guest approached Mirai all of a sudden and pulled her on the side, leaving Miyu and Ryosuke.

Miyu: And thank you for being there for her in this tough moment in her life. She had it all rough until the coffee shop happened, and you. When Mirai-nee met you again, she had it better. She barely talked to anyone but now, she can smile and laugh more genuinely. (smiles)

Ryosuke: (looks at Mirai) She’s always tough. Even without me, she’ll get through it. (smiles)

Miyu: (smiles) But you made it easier. (sighs) I always envied your friendship. Mirai-nee was lucky to have really good friends. I can’t barely imagine that both of you preserved that friendship even after 10 years of not seeing each other.

She turned to Ryosuke excitedly.

Miyu: That’s amazing!

Ryosuke smiled as he looked down at his shoes then to Mirai.

Ryosuke: Me too. (smiles) I guess she’s just really special.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED....