I'm Sorry, I Love You

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke looked outside from the windshield. It was still raining but he can clearly recognize the tall building they stopped in front at.

Ryosuke: So you’re back at your place, huh?

Mirai: (nods) I’d spend the night since it’s late. I’ll be back to Kanagawa tomorrow tho.

Ryosuke nodded slowly.

Mirai glances briefly at Ryosuke before she removed her seatbelt.

Mirai: Thanks for the ride. (smiles)

When she was about to open the car door on her side, she felt Ryosuke put the hood back on her head. That was then she realized she was still wearing the hoodie.

She turned back to Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: (grins) You can keep it. It’s still raining outside.

She sighed and reached for the door once again when Ryosuke grabbed her arm and when she turned back at him, he was leaning closer to her.

Mirai: Hm? What? Did you change your mind? (chuckles)

Ryosuke removed his hand on her hand.

Ryosuke: Are you free next week? Hmm…on Sunday?

Mirai: Why are you asking me? (grins) It’s not me who has a packed day.

Ryosuke slowly smiled and nervously drummed his hand on the steering wheel.

Ryosuke: I am free next week, on Sunday. (glances at Mirai) Do you wanna watch my movie together?

Mirai just look at him.

Ryosuke: The tickets are free. It’s all on me this time.

Mirai briefly laughed and nodded which made Ryosuke smile wider.

Ryosuke: Just a head’s up, it’s a horror film.

Mirai: (grins) I know. I watched the trailer.

She finally opened the door and jumped out hugging her purse to shield from the rain. Ryosuke thought she looked too small.

Ryosuke: (smiles) I’ll see you!

She waved briefly before running inside the building.

He straightened his back and removed his coat. When he was about to throw it at the back seat, he cupped its pockets and realized it was there. He picked it out of the pocket.

It was the diamond ring he gave to Mirai in high school.

Eversince he returned to Tokyo, he has been taking the ring in his pocket. He didn’t particularly know why. He sighed and put it on his pant’s pocket and started driving again.

*****

 

Two sets of scream can be heard from the back row of the cinema.

Mirai tried to keep her voice low after her loud scream.

Mirai: Idiot! Why are screaming along! This is your movie! You have watched it already!

Ryosuke: But it’s still scary! And I get triggered to scream whenever you do.

They watched closely as the big screen. It showed Yamada Ryosuke’s character in the dark alley, slowly walking and watching his every step.

Ryosuke squinted his eyes to avoid seeing the scene.

Ryosuke: There’s going to be a jumpscare he—

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

He screamed along when Mirai screamed in fear as the blooded ghost appeared on screen.

Mirai: Stop doing that!

Ryosuke: But you started it!

The couples next to them gave them a glare and a shush, making them lay low.

Mirai: (whispers) I think we should keep it low or else they’ll notice you.

Ryosuke turned to Mirai and blinked sarcastically. He has a cap on, dark eyeglasses on and a mask.

Ryosuke: Seriously though?

Mirai: Yes. I can still recognize you.

Ryosuke: That’s impossible!

Mirai was now looking at the screen seriously and expecting for a jumpscare when Ryosuke leaned closer to her.

Ryosuke: (whispers) Seriously Mi—OUCH!!!

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

Mirai got so surprised she screamed and with her flexes, her hand immediately landed hand on Ryosuke’s head.

 

When they were out of the cinema, Ryosuke was rubbing his head while Mirai looked at him apologetically.

Mirai: I’m sorry.

Suddenly the couple next to them in the cinema pass by them and once again glared at them making Ryosuke and Mirai bow.

Mirai: They did not enjoy it. If they give the movie a bad review, it’s your fault.

Ryosuke: Eh? I’m the one with a swollen head here!

Mirai grabbed his cap and put it back over his head panickly.

Mirai: We are in Tokyo! (suspiciously looks around) Someone might recognize your forehead.

Ryosuke: Eh?

He followed the sight of Mirai who was now walking to the benches on the waiting area of the cinema and sat.

He sat next to her with a sigh.

Mirai: It was a great movie.

Ryosuke: You barely watched!

Mirai laughed.

Mirai: Come on it’s scary! I can’t watch it with straight face and unblinking eyes! You even flinched with your own movie.

Ryosuke: Sometimes there are things I regret in life. (laughs)

Suddenly Ryosuke’s phone rang.

Ryosuke: (cups his pocket) I’ll just take this.

Mirai nodded and he immediately pulled his phone out of his pocket and walked to a distant corner. He didn’t notice something fell from his pocket when he got his phone out.

She looked at him while he talked to the phone and realized he has not thought so much to be unrecognized. Or she just really recognized everything about him?

She sighed and when her eyes landed down, she saw a sparkling thing next to her on the bench.

She picked the diamond ring and watched it closely.

Mirai: This…

She wouldn’t forget. How can she forget! She held on that ring for two years. She gritted her teeth when everything came back rushing in her memories.

Glimpsing back at Ryosuke from a distant, she just couldn’t understand what to feel about knowing he still has the ring.

Suddenly, her own phone rang. She held on the ring inside her palm when she stood and walked further to take the call.

 

Ryosuke ended the call with a sigh of relief. It was from his manager informing him of the good feedback of his movie.

He was about to go back to the bench where Mirai was when he heard a rushing stiletto sound approaching him. A slender, young, flashy beautiful girl grabbed his wrist.

“Ryosuke-kun?”

Ryosuke: Eh?

He was taken aback when he finally saw her face. It was her. The 23-year-old model Chihiro set him up for the third blind date.

“It’s Airi!” She said excitedly.

Ryosuke nodded nervously. He realized Mirai was right when she said he was still recognizable even with the cap, the eyeglasses and mask on. He looked back at the bench but Mirai wasn’t there.

Airi: What are you doing here? (looks around) Who are you with? Are you alone? Did you check who watched your movie?! Do you know that I am going to watch it?

Ryosuke can’t seem to fathom how she managed to ask question after another.

The girl who was called Airi pulled a ticket out of her flashy pink bag.

Airi: I am watching it on the next time schedule. But I am so scared to watch it alone. (pouts) Will you join me in the cinema, please. (grabs his arm and whispered flitatiously) We can spend more time after the movie too.

Ryosuke looked around nervously, hoping nobody recognized him.

Ryosuke: Ah, Airi-san—

Airi: (pouts) Just Airi! Airi!

Ryosuke tried to pull out from her grip so he gently removed her hand on his arm when suddenly he heard someone call him.

Mirai: Ryosuke!

Ryosuke turned around and there was Mirai who walked closer to them before dropping her phone inside her small sling bag.

Airi stepped back when Mirai held Ryosuke’s left arm with both hands, getting a little too clingy. Ryosuke instantly knew what was happening.

Mirai bowed at the surprised girl in front of her.

Ryosuke: Ah. This is Airi-san, Chihiro-nee’s acquaintance at work. And this is—

Airi: A girl…friend?

Ryosuke glanced at Mirai.

Mirai smiled at the girl sweetly.

Mirai: Fiance.

Ryosuke was taken aback but he kept his composure still.

She tightened her grip and gently drummed her small slender fingers on Ryosuke’s arm. That was when Airi’s eyes widened in surprise.

The girl grinned awkwardly and bowed stiffly.

Airi: It’s nice to see you. I have to go! Bye!

And dashed fast away with her stiletto heals.

Ryosuke felt Mirai’s hands leaving his arms and she stepped a little to the side to remove any skin contact.

Ryosuke: (sighs) Thanks. You saved me there. I can’t believe she bought that right away.

He laughed as he turned to look at Mirai but his laugh subsided as he found her removing something from her finger.

She looked displease as she slowly pulled her prop diamond ring out of her finger and without looking at Ryosuke, she handed the ring.

Still in shock, he slowly reached for the diamond ring, opened his palm and Mirai placed it on his palm and clenched it in.

They stood there silently.

 

*****

 

Mirai removed her seatbelt the moment the car stopped in front of her apartment building. Ryosuke insisted to drive her back to Kanagawa but Mirai decided to just stay the night in Tokyo, not because she had more things to do in the city but because she might not stand a longer ride to Kanagawa with Yamada Ryosuke. Nobody dared to talk during the entire ride although Mirai felt the short glances Ryosuke make, attempting to start a conversation.

Mirai was able to manage a smile as she briefly turned to Ryosuke next to her.

Mirai: Th-Thanks for the day. (bows)

She immediately grabbed the door and stepped out of the car.

Ryosuke: Mirai! Wait!

Ryosuke, who has now removed his disguise, opened his door side and ran towards Mirai making the lady turned to him halfway. He felt a sudden nervousness when he met his eyes. He breathed deep and his lips trying calm.

Ryosuke: Anou…

Both Ryosuke and Mirai turned to their right when Miyuu called them out from a distant. She came running towards them with a bright grin on her face.

Mirai: Miyuu. Why are you here?

Miyuu: I met a friend from college who is now based in Korea. And she gave me these!

She raised a whole bag of Korean snacks.

Miyuu: Let’s eat them inside! (smiles) (turns to Ryosuke) You too Yamada Ryosuke-niisan.

She grabbed Ryosuke by the wrist and lead him inside the building. Mirai panickly wanted to stop Miyuu.

Mirai: Eh-Eh? W-Wait! Miyuu!

She ran after them.

 

Ryosuke was sitted on Mirai’s couch while Miyuu enthusiastically introduced him the snacks.

Miyuu: You can have this. (shoves a pack of candies) And this too. (stacks another pack of chocolate)

Mirai on the other hand was just looking at them from the kitchen counter table as she removed her coat and laid it on the back of the high chair.

She can only sigh and hoped she doesn’t have to deal further with Yamada Ryosuke tonight.

Suddenly, Miyuu’s phone rang.

Miyuu: Hello, Touya~

It was Miyuu’s fiancé.

Miyuu: Okay. (smiles) I am coming. Just wait for a little while okay.

She said while taking her coat in her arm and headed out of the lobby.

Mirai: Where are you going?

Miyuu: AH! I’m sorry, Touya is outside, we’re having a dinner. (bows at Ryosuke) Excuse me. (grins and waves) Bye bye!

Mirai: Huh? Miy—

Miyuu already slammed the door close before she could stop her.

Mirai sighed, gently closing her eyes, only to find Ryosuke staring at him when she opened her eyes. She immediately avoided his daze.

Ryosuke: About the ring—

Mirai: Ah! It’s okay! (forced a laugh) Y-You have nothing to explain. It’s fine.

Ryosuke just looked at her unagreeably.

Mirai turned to the small kitchen and tied her hair.

Mirai: You can stay for dinner.

She can feel her unstable fast breathing which made worst when she felt Ryosuke stood from the couch and walked closer to her.

Now she can feel him behind her but she chose to ignore him as she pulled some ingredients inside the fridge.

Ryosuke: I don’t exactly know why but eversince coming back from Kanagawa, I have been bringing the ring in my pocket.

Mirai continued chopping the vegetables.

Ryosuke: But there’s one thing I am sure of… I love you.

Mirai’s hand slid slipping the knife cutting the radish in a bigger cut when she heard those from the guy. His voice was not stammering nor shaking. He said it straight and unbothered.

Mirai finally turned to him and he looked hella serious. But Ryosuke was surprised when Mirai forced a laugh.

Mirai: What are you saying?

Ryosuke: I am serious.

He really looked super serious, and Mirai knew it but she just stood there, looking back at Ryosuke, stunned by the sudden confession she received.

Ryosuke: I am in love with you again…No, (gulps) I am still in love with you. I thought I forgot about what I felt for you but…it…it came flooding back in me.

Mirai can just looked at him with those rather sad eyes.

Mirai: Yama-chan…

She pressed her lips together before she looked down.

Mirai: I’m sorry.

Ryosuke’s eyes popped with the outright rejection.

Ryosuke: Is this because of what happened to us many years ago? Can you not trust me again?

Mirai: No. No. Yama-chan, it’s not that at all.

She sighed and smiled at him.

Mirai: You are very important to me… So important that I wanted the best for you.

Tears started to form around Mirai’s beautiful eyes as she walked closer to him and gently she held his wrist.

Mirai: I want you to have all of the best things and you are surrounded with them. All you have to do is to look around you. You are capable of getting everything you want.

Ryosuke: Except you?

Mirai’s tears finally broke when she heard those from Ryosuke. She collected herself and nodded slowly.

Mirai: Not me… Because you can have better.

She forced a smile behind her tears but more tears broke from her eyes.

Mirai: That’s what I realized when I met Satoko-san—that you are always capable of having the best things in life.

Ryosuke just stared at her teared up and devastated. Mirai slowly removed her hand on him when he started turning around and slowly walked back to the living room, drifted sat on the couch.

His hand was shaking when he ran them on his forehead and leaned his elbows on his knees, trying to cover his tears.

While Mirai covered trying to stop her sobbing.

 

*****

 

It has been a week since that night. Mirai has been preoccupied of the thought. She’s worried about him and how he took what happened.

Miyuu can distinctively see that Mirai has been unwell lately. After she came back that night when she left Ryosuke and Mirai alone in the apartment, her sister has not been feeling okay.

There were vegetables on the kitchen which was not done cutting. The pan was just on top of the stove, proof that she was supposed to cook. But when she arrived, Mirai was curled on her bed, pretending to sleep.

Until now, while she made coffee, her thoughts were drifted somewhere else.

Suddenly the door opened again and the staffs greet the new customer.

Miyuu tapped Mirai’s shoulder which made Mirai look at the one who just came in.

Mirai: Eh? Umika?

Umika gave her a subtle smile.

 

They sat across each other in a table in the corner, secluded from the other tables.

Mirai: What got you here? (smiles)

Umika: I heard from Miyuu, you don’t look well.

Mirai: Eh? (glimpses at Miyuu then back to Umika) W-What do you mean?

Umika: Yamada-kun is strangely a little down too…No, very down. Chinen told me.

Mirai just briefly look at her then back to the cup of coffee in front of her.

Umika: What happened? Everything seemed to be fine between you the last time I checked.

Mirai looked back at her and the next she realized, she had already told everything to Umika in detail.

 

Umika pressed her lips together as she leaned on her seat, still surprised.

Umika: You…You rejected him.

Mirai: (nods) (forces a smile) It’s okay. It’s the best thing to do. He’ll be fine.

Umika: (sighs) Why do you have to punish yourself like this?!

A frown suddenly appeared on Umika’s sweet face.

Umika: So, you mean you don’t have feelings for him?

Mirai: It’s not that I don’t—

Umika: Huh?!

Mirai: I—uhhhgg! Yes, I do! (sighs)

She dropped her forehead on top of her arm on the table. A little still undenial.

Mirai: I do.

Her voice is calmer.

Mirai: I…I like him too…Might …love him too.

Umika: Then, be true to what you feel! Don’t be to hard on yourself!

Mirai: But…he deserves better. Anyone will think he deserves better. We all know he deserves better.

Umika: But he doesn’t want better, he wants you, Mirai.

Umika breathed deep before she leaned closer to Mirai.

Umika: Do you know that the real reason he broke up with Satoko-san is because of you? Do you know that everytime they broke up, it’s because of you? Do you know that he never dated any other girl because of you?

Mirai was taken aback.

Umika: Do you know that after you got married, he started detaching himself from anything that reminds him of you?

Mirai: What are you—

Umika: Did you ever wonder why all of the JUMP members are married except for him? And no, it’s not because he is simply bad at love…but because he can never admit that he can’t have another you.

Tears started forming around Mirai’s eyes.

Umika: I was there. Chinen and I witnessed how he struggled to move on from you. I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you. I never intended to tell you because I was so consumed of the fact that he once broke your heart and finally you are happy with someone else.

Finally, Umika’s tears fell on her cheeks with a smile on her face.

Umika: I thought he successfully moved on from you. (shakes her head and scoffs) I guess he didn’t. (stares at the teary-eyed Mirai) If a guy can love you all these years, isn’t it worth a second shot? Give him what you said—what he deserves. Coz right now, Mirai, you are all what he deserves.

*****

 

Ryosuke scratched his dishelled hair. He had been awake all-day, stayed on his large couch, in front of the tv he actually never cared what’s showing.

He had the ring on his hand before apathetically and slowly put it on the center table in front of him. It made a clank sound when it hit the glass table.

A long sigh before he leaned on the back of his couch. It has been a week since his unintended confession. A part of him wished he never tried—that he should have just let it like how Mirai wanted it—unsaid.

He can’t see her. Nor text her.

And now he missed her terribly.

Maybe Mirai was right. They could have just remained friends, huh?

But he doesn’t want just friends!

He had finally got the chance so why settle with just friends?

He pulled his hair in frustration. He hated how much greedy he can be.

That night, after Mirai rejected him, he left her place, not saying anything and even slamming the door. How he hated himself for acting like that! He wasn’t mad of the rejection; he was mad of himself! What the fck did he ever do that Mirai thinks he deserves better?!

He saw his reflection on the glass window with the sight of the city lights outside.

Ryosuke: Is my face not her type?

He remembered when they were kids Mirai said he was too pretty.

Ryosuke curled on the couch in frustration.

In high school, Mirai once denied crushing on him in front of the class when they started teasing them, simply because he was too pretty! She even added that Ryosuke should date someone prettier than himself.

Ryosuke: Is that what she meant when she said I deserve better?!

He had been deliberating by himself for a week now. Trying to fully understand the point of the rejection. He was going crazy!

His expression became calmer but sad when he remembered the last thing she said. “That’s what I realized when I met Satoko-san—that you are always capable of having the best things in life.”

Mirai was always insecure. Setting herself a boundary, a limitation. When Ryosuke dated the gorgeous, smart and lovable Miyata Satoko, Mirai started self-assessing.

Meanwhile Ryosuke thought he was the one who doesn’t deserve Mirai for being the jerk that he was.

Afterall, it’s his fault Mirai had set herself a limitation—why she started doubting herself.

He thought, he should apologize to her.

Now, he felt a lot more frustrated.

Suddenly his door bell rang. He apathetically turned his head over his shoulder to look at the door.

He might have worried Chinen so much. The guy had been texting him nonstop for days. And now he might have decided to properly talk to him.

With a big sigh he lifted himself up and walk into the door. Under the disheveled black hair are his dark eyes. Wearing a plain white shirt, black pants, barefooted—he didn’t care if Chinen see him in that state.

So when he opened the door, without checking the front door camera, his eyes under all the hair, popped in surprise.

Mirai was looking up at him—big beautiful eyes at him. By the looks of it she seemed worried and concerned.

Ryosuke couldn’t believe what was in front of him that he thought he could have been daydreaming. Was it because he hadn’t eaten enough for days? Or just because he had been thinking of her that he has been hallucinating?

But real or not, all of a sudden, Ryosuke pulled her inside, making her gasped, as he shut the door closed.

He wrapped her small body around his arms. With eyes closed, his left cheek on her left temple. The lower half of Mirai’s face was buried on his chest.

With his icy low voice in a whisper, his lips above her ear.

Ryosuke: I don’t know why you’re here. But I really wanted to see you.

There was a soft smile in Mirai’s lips as she slowly wrapped both her arms around Ryosuke’s waist, resting her forehead on the side of his neck, burying her face on his collar.

Like a sudden snap of reality, Ryosuke opened his eyes like he had been in a dream. He pulled Mirai by the shoulder and leaned closer that his face was in front of her in the same level—looking confused and questioning everything.

He stared long before he finally got to speak.

Ryosuke: I…(blinks) I am not imagining things, am I?

Mirai smiled and slowly cupped both his cheeks.

Mirai: You are not.

Ryosuke: So mean…you mean you…you love me too?

Mirai can’t help but laugh at his confused face making the guy kept his eyes on her waiting for a confirmation.

She stopped laughing and stared back at him with a smile and nodded.

Ryosuke: You’re kidding.

She let go of his cheeks and wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest.

Mirai: (whispers) What did I do to deserve you?

He hugged her back.

Ryosuke: That should be my line.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...