You Have a Ring

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke stiffened his back the moment he sat on the table in front of Mirai’s father and mother. He didn’t think it’ll be this nerve-wracking. Now all he could think of is how he regretted asking for this. He gulped hard when he met the glaring eyes of Mr. Shida across him.

A silent giggle from Mrs. Shida made him realize how obviously tensed he was.

Mirai glimpsed at him from the kitchen while making the tea. Miyuu popped behind him.

Miyuu: He’s sweating.

Mirai: (sighs) He was very confident this morning. I don’t know why he is acting like a puppy now.

Miyuu: (giggle) He looks like he is asking permission for a marriage. I remember Touya had the same tensed back when he announced our engagement.

Mirai went back making the tea after she tilted her head.

Miyuu: He is even wearing a buttoned long sleeved shirt and a black leather shoes. (giggles) He’s obviously haven’t done this before. Your boyfriend is too cute!

Mirai: He’s just over the top sometimes.

Mirai lifted the wooden tray where she put the tea cups and Miyuu followed holding the plated Japanese sweets.

Shida-otosan: So, what is a top idol’s true intention to my daughter?

Ryosuke flinched with the man’s tone of voice while Mirai sighed and squeezed her eyes.

Mirai: Dad.

Mirai and Miyuu placed the tea and sweets on the table.

Ryosuke: M-My intentions are good. T-There is nothing I intend but to make her happy! (bows)

Mirai can only facepalmed at Ryosuke’s reaction.

Miyuu who was behind Mirai leaned and whispered at Mirai, trying not to giggle.

Miyuu: He really hadn’t done this before.

Shida-otosan: I don’t know if I could trust any boy for my daughter especially after what happened to her. How much more a famous personality such as yourself. Getting my daughter’s name involve with yours is trouble, we just have proven that in the past days.

All their eyes turned to the man who has been looking unpleased ever since Ryosuke arrived.

Ryosuke slowly pulled his back up and this time, he looked at Mr. Shida straight in the eyes.

Ryosuke: I understand if you feel that way and I am sorry I wasn’t able to prevent such thing to happen. I am responsible for it and I am still trying to fully fix things up.

He bowed long before he lifted his back up again and looked at both Mr. and Mrs. Shida.

Ryosuke: But I also want you to know that I am very serious about your daughter. I can’t assure that nothing like the rumors will ever happen again considering the nature of my work, but I can assure you that I will always…always and forever be choosing Mirai. I will protect her no matter what. I will take care of her like how you took care of her and love her more than how you love her.

There was silence as all unblinkingly looked at the dead serious Yamada Ryosuke.

Suddenly a loud big laugh bursted in front of him. Mr. Shida was laughing his lungs out as he rested his arms on his knees.

Ryosuke was surprised with the old man’s reaction. He was kept speechless as he blinked.

Ryosuke: Eh? Ah…Unnn… I am serious.

He turned to Mirai worriedly with a pout.

Miyuu was holding back her laugh as she covered with both hands.

Shida-okasan: Dad~ (smiles) Stop fooling around. (hits her husband’s arm) You’re scaring Ryosuke-kun.

Mr. Shida stood and sat next to Ryosuke. The younger guy can only follow the sight of him, still a bit nervous. He wrapped his heavy arm around Ryosuke’s shoulder.

Shida-otosan: I’ve always wanted to do that! (laughs)

Ryosuke: Eh?

Mirai squinted her eyes.

Shida-otosan: (taps Ryosuke’s chest) I know I always like this boy. Do you know that you remind me of my younger self?

A big smile appeared on Ryosuke’s face.

Shida-otosan: When I saw you as a young boy, I thought you’d definitely grow as good-looking as me and I was not wrong!

Shida-okasan: (laughs) What are you saying? Ryosuke-kun is definitely better looking!

Shida-otosan: I’ll pretend my own wife did not say that.

Laughter raged in the whole room.

While Mr. Shida and Ryosuke continued chatting, the three ladies decided to cook lunch.

Shida-otosan: But seriously, I appreciated you for not leaving by Mirai’s side with all those crazy rumors going on. Although I am a bit disappointed that we only knew about you dating through that tabloid article.

Ryosuke: (bows) I am really…really sorry about that.

Shida-otosan: My daughter has gone through a lot. All I want now is for her to be happy.

Both men looked at Mirai who was laughing with Miyuu and her mom in the kitchen.

Shida-otosan: (smiles) And I can see you are doing a great job tho.

A soft smile carved on Ryosuke’s face.

Shida-otosan: Eversince she was a child, she always dreamt of a happy marriage just like what I and my wife have. So as a father who only wants for his daughter’s dreams to come true, it broke me. So much.

Ryosuke looked at the older man who was now getting sentimental.

Shida-otosan: (chuckles) So if you can’t make her dream come true, even though I said I approve of you…I don’t think you should continue being with her.

Ryosuke looked at older man in determination.

Ryosuke: I will definitely make her dream come true!

Slowly, Mr. Shida let out a longer chuckle before he clenched his fist, giving out an encouraging look.

 

Mirai peaked to check on Ryosuke and his dad, confused as to why they were clenching their fists.

Mirai: (tilts her head) I wonder what are they talking about?

Shida-okasan: (chuckles) Ryosuke-kun matches your dad’s energy.

Miyuu: Let me just remind you, I am getting married first. (smirks)

Mirai: (chuckles) What are you saying?

Shida-okasan: You can get married after Miyuu.

Mirai: (sighs and smiles) I don’t think I’d want to get remarried as early as now.

Miyuu: But what if Ryosuke-nii proposed?

Mirai: He wouldn’t.

Miyuu: What if he will?

Mirai just looked at Miyuu.

That made Mirai realized, even if she loves Ryosuke, she can’t see being anyone’s wife anymore even if that has been her dream. And like a dream she failed, she stopped dreaming about it.

 

*****

 

 

Mirai was walking Ryosuke to the coffee shop where he parked his car. The sky was starting to be in the shade of orange and red as the sun sets.

He was holding her hand as they slowly walk.

Mirai: I’m sorry about dad.

Ryosuke: (smiles) He is so cool, actually.

Mirai tightened her grip on his hand which made Ryosuke looked at her.

Ryosuke: Mhm? What is it?

Mirai: (smiles) Nothing. I just thought I’d probably miss you.

Ryosuke: (smirks) Probably? You will definitely!

Mirai: (laughs) I guess you’re right.

Ryosuke: I’ll call everyday though.

Mirai: (nods) I will wait for it. (smiles)

 

 

*****

 

As Mirai got back in Kanagawa, she became a lot more focus in the coffee shop. She enjoyed doing stuffs in the coffee shop. She was also constantly learning to bake after the shop closes every 8 in the evening. She had more time with herself and she felt a lot more self-accomplished.

Ryosuke never failed to call her everyday just like what he promised her. Tokyo is just a few minutes away but it feels so far away. She missed him but she was a bit scared to spend more and more time with him after Miyuu opened the possibility of Ryosuke having thoughts of marriage.

Miyuu: What are you thinking?

Miyuu glared at Mirai who spaced out in front of the oven.

Mirai: I—I am waiting for the cake to…uh.. bake.

Miyuu: You just put it in a minute ago.

Mirai forced a laugh.

Mirai: Right.

She walked to the counter to check on the coffee machine when she noticed the door of the coffee shop opened and the crew greeted a tall guy in a brown suit. Mirai lifted her back up seeing her ex-husband. The last time she saw him, she confronted him so what is he doing in front of her again?

Mirai followed Ryusei Ryo outside near where he parked his car.

Mirai: What are you doing here? The last thing I wanted is to be involved in another scandal.

Ryo: That’s why I am here. I wanted to apologize.

Mirai was taken aback. Mirai got more shocked when he bowed in front of her.

Ryo: I am sorry, Mirai-chan. I swear I was not the one behind the tabloid. It was…It was Ayuri.

Mirai: Konno-san?

Ryo: (nods) She went too far. I already broke up with her and removed her in the company. (looks at Mirai) I made a mistake, Mirai. I did not love you right. Did not take good care of you.

Mirai took a deep breath.

Ryo: I am sorry you went throught a lot because of me. If I can just really make things right. If I can have you back.

Mirai: Ryo.

Ryo: (scoffs) But I don’t deserve that…I know. (smiles) Just like how I don’t deserve the company that was enheritted by my brother. I made mistakes and I am taking the consequences of it. I am trying to start anew. Reflect on the mistakes I made.

Mirai kept her eyes on Ryo. This was the first time he had ever accepted he was wrong…genuinely accepted he is wrong.

Ryo: (smiles) I am here to really just apologize for all the pain I have caused you. (laughs) I can’t believe I’m saying this but…(sighs) I officially announced my defeat to that guy. He loves you so much.

Mirai felt her chest tightened.

Ryo: That guy never stopped loving you. (smiles) And you deserve that kind of love, Mirai-chan. I am finally letting you go. This will be the last time that I’ll show up in front of you. (bows)

Ryo was already leaving when Mirai called him.

Mirai: Ryo!

The moment he looked back at her, she bowed at him.

Mirai: Thank you…for the 10 years.

Ryo slowly turned his body back in front of her and bowed briefly with a smile.

Ryo: I know you’ll spend better years with him. (smiles)

Mirai smiled and nodded. When Ryo got in his car and left, Mirai took a deep breath and big smile carved in her lips before she ran back to the coffee shop.

Mirai: (pants) Miyuu!

Miyuu turned to her sister in shock.

Mirai: Can I leave the shop with you?

Miyuu: Eh? W-Why?

Mirai: (smiles) I just…I just wanna see someone.

A smile slowly appeared on Miyuu’s face before she nodded.

Miyuu: Leave it to me!

Mirai smiled at her younger sister before she stormed out of the coffee shop.

 

*****

 

Ryosuke packed his things after the rehearsals. Before he left, he slumped on the couch of their quarters. He checked his watch. It was 6 in the evening—too early for him to call Mirai. She must still be busy in the coffee shop.

He sighed and dropped his phone on his lap.

Chinen: What’s with that long sigh?

Ryosuke: This long distance relationship is getting into me.

Chinen: (laughs) I have a solution to that! Why don’t you ask her to marry you?

Ryosuke twitched his lips, not saying anything.

Chinen: Don’t tell me you’re actually considering it?

Ryosuke: I wanted to…but…

Yuto: But?

Suddenly, Yuto leaned behind him.

Ryosuke: (sighs) But isn’t it to early? It has yet been 4 months since we dated. And she just got divorced. She’ll think I’m needy and clingy. I have a strong feeling I’d be rejected.

Yuto: So how long will you wait? Another 4 months? A year? Two? Three?

Ryosuke: Ideally.

Chinen: The question is… can you bare being away from her longer? Coz Ryosuke, let me remind you…it’s just a month and you’re already complaining about the long distance. (laughs)

Ryosuke: No. (stands and picks up his bag) I’m not gonna whine like a kid and rush her with things. Like normal couples…we will have to do things slowly.

Yuto: (shrugs) You say so.

Chinen: But if you plan to have kids, you can have them as early as now. Marriage doesn’t matter!

Yuto: (laughs) There you go with your desperation over having kids.

Ryosuke: (laughs briefly) I’ll have to go. I still have a shoot at 9pm.

Yuto: You still have three hours. It’s still 6.

Ryosuke: I’ll take a shower at home and go to Kanagawa briefly.

Yuto: (laughs) What happens to the “I’m not gonna whine like a kid”?

Chinen laughed along.

Ryosuke: Shut up! I have not seen Mirai for a month! (walks) Bye!

 

*****

 

Ryosuke arrived at his condo after minutes of driving. He was a bit in a hurry with the excitement of briefly visiting Mirai in Kanagawa. He was swirling his car keys on his finger as he got closer to his door when he found someone curled down before the door.

He immediately recognized the stature of the lady in khaki coat and black stockings.

He looked down at the figure, surprised.

Ryosuke: Mirai?

Upon hearing her name, Mirai looked up and that was then she realized he finally arrived.

Ryosuke: Why are you here outside? You could have just got in.

He leaned closer to her, a bit worried, as he tried to pull her up by her arms.

Mirai: Ah! My legs are numb.

Ryosuke: (laughs) How long have you been crouching here?

He slowly pulled her up while Mirai growled trying to stretch her legs straight to stand. When she finally was able to stand, he held her hand and stared at her long.

Ryosuke: I was supposed to visit you in Kanagawa tonight.

Mirai: Really?

Ryosuke: (nods) Unn… (sighs) You got ahead of me.

Mirai: I just thought I wanted to come over.

Ryosuke smiled and pulled her closer as he opened the door. They were already inside and already removed their shoes when Ryosuke offered an early dinner.

Ryosuke: What do you want for dinner?

Mirai stared at him as he as he dropped his bag on the couch in the living room and proceeded to the kitchen while Mirai followed him.

Ryosuke: How’s the coffee shop? (smiles) Did you finally master the cheesecake?

Mirai sitted across the counter table where she can see Ryosuke pour tea on the cup he placed in front of her but Mirai was just staring at him and he noticed that?

Ryosuke: What is it?

Mirai: Did you cut your hair?

She asked although that was not her main concern.

Ryosuke: (laughs) You noticed! Just got ‘em trimmed a little.

Mirai nodded before she took the cup of tea and took a sip.

A smirk grew in Ryosuke’s face. He leaned his cheek on his palm and placed his elbow on the table, staring at Mirai.

Ryosuke: (teases) You are getting more attentive about me now, eh?

Mirai gently placed the cup back on the table.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Because of that I’m cooking something special!

Mirai: Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Unn?

Mirai: I met with Ryo this afternoon.

Ryosuke: Eh? (frowns) Why?

Mirai: He apologized.

Ryosuke: Apologize.

Mirai nodded.

Ryosuke did not say anything as he intended Mirai to continue.

Mirai: That was the first time he ever apologized genuinely. (sighs) He…He also broke up with Konno-san and he didn’t get the company. For some reason, I felt bad for him.

Ryosuke twitched his lips as he leaned on the counter table.

Mirai: All his dreams seemed to crumble down infront of him. I saw him build them and all his sacrifices. (laughs bitterly) He even sacrificed me for his dreams.

There seemed to be a lump in Ryosuke’s throat as he listened to Mirai, watching how bad she felt for her ex-husband. And for some reason, he was feeling quite jealous and scared. He heard Mirai took a deep breath and a smile in her face.

Mirai: (scoffs) But after all the things he did, it’s time for him to face the consequences and reflect on them. (smiles at Ryosuke) He said he accepted his defeat. (laughs) I don’t know what you guys been talking about but there’s one thing I realized with that encounter…

Ryosuke moved his brows and a soft smile appeared in Mirai’s lips.

Mirai: That I am so lucky that you love me.

Ryosuke was taken aback as he stared at her with a little pout in his lips and teary-eyes.

Mirai: Mhm? What? Is something wrong?

Ryosuke put his hands on his waist, looking down as he shook his head.

Mirai let out a chuckle. She jumped off from the high chair and walked inside the kitched and stood in front of Ryosuke.

Mirai: (teases) What’s with that look?

Ryosuke: For the first half of it, I thought you’ll gonna break up with me. (grins)

Mirai can only look at the flushed face of her boyfriend—looking like he was about to cry and ecstatic at the same time. She gently pulled Ryosuke down to her height so she can lean her chin on his shoulder as she hugged him.

Mirai: Why would you think that?

Ryosuke: You have chosen him once—even married him. I can be paranoid a little.

Mirai chuckled as she tightened her hug.

Mirai: Another thing that I realized with what Ryo told me…is that I don’t wanna ever leave your side. That I’d stay with you now…. and always. (smiles) coz I really love you too. That as much as I deserve your love, you also deserve mine. And I am always thankful that you happened.

Ryosuke’s heart was full. He didn’t know what to say as he enveloped Mirai’s small frame around his arms. He slowly pulled her from the hug and kissed her in the temple.

Ryosuke: Will you marry me?

Mirai was surprised for awhile before a chuckle escaped from .

Ryosuke stiffened his shoulders stepping back a little.

Ryosuke: I’m serious. But…(panics) Wait! Wait, no. I unn…What am I saying?! H-Heck! What am I doing?!

Mirai was surprised and can only look as her boyfriend panic.

Ryosuke finally calmed as he looked at Mirai.

Ryosuke: I…I am serious about wanting to be with you forever. But I know It’s uh…it’s too early to ask you for that now. Maybe a year from now? (gulps)… Or two?

He scratches the back of his head and awkwardly laughed.

Ryosuke: I’m sorry…that went wrong. I never intended to ask you that unprepared. Oh god! (covers his face) That was so unromantic! Dang it, Ryosuke! You don’t even have a ring, you freak!

Mirai: You have a ring.

That made Ryosuke face Mirai.

Ryosuke: Eh?

Slowly her surprised face turned to a teasing grin.

Mirai: You always have a ring.

Ryosuke panicked as he fidgeted on his spot. Of course he has that ring.

Ryosuke: Ah, yeah. Yeah! Yeah, I-uh…I do.

He dashed inside his room and like a swoop he immediately got back in the kitchen holding the old diamond ring in his hand.

A gulped or two as he took small steps getting closer to Mirai and was looking back at her beautifully in that rose-colored shirt and knee-lengthed white skirt inside that khaki long coat. She tucked her long hair on her right ear as she stared back at him in that plain black shirt and black denim jeans. His black freshly trimmed hair bouncing as he took small steps towards her.

Ryosuke: This is not how I ever wanted to propose to you. I could have set it a lot more romantically that it can get too cheesy, you know. On top of that, definitely not in my kitchen.

Mirai laughed.

Ryosuke chuckled. He finally stood closer enough in front of her and kneeled down popping the ring in his fingers.

Ryosuke: But…in front of this counter table, around all of these cupboards…Shida Mirai…will you marry me?

She got teary-eyed looking down at him staring back at her, waiting for her answer. She has never felt as much love as she felt that moment. Her heart was beating faster as she collected all her thoughts. She realized she can be someone’s wife again. To someone who never got tired of loving her. To her first love—to Yamada Ryosuke.

Mirai: Yes. (smiles) Yes, I will marry you…Yamada Ryosuke.

There were tears in her eyes when she answered and the unheld ecstatic look on his face as he placed the diamond ring on her finger.

This is the first time she ever wore that ring after that tragic night many years ago when he first broke her heart. Never thought she’ll be wearing it again when that same person who made her cry, is the same person who can make her happy.

Ryosuke stood up and Mirai wrapped her arms on his shoulder as he hugged her tighter.

TO BE CONTINUED...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I am so sorry to not being able to update for the past weeks. Got a bit of busy from work. Sorry I only managed to write one chapter. I hope I can make it up to you soon. Thank you for waiting.