I was First

10 Years After That Day

*****

[2011]

It took long before Mirai realized it was a kiss. When he pulled back, that was just when it registered in her mind. It was her actual first kiss. She just froze in her spot contemplating what happened while Ryosuke started to feel nervous and was flushed all over his face.

Both did not say a word. Not until Ryosuke gagged at the sudden punch in his gut.

Ryosuke: What the--! (coughs)

Mirai’s hand was still in a fist ball.

Mirai: What was that all of a sudden?!

She looked mad and about to cry at the same time.

Ryosuke just pouted behind the frown, looking away at Mirai and sliding a glimpse back at her.

Ryosuke: What do you think so?! (he sounded mad)

Mirai: Ah! Now you’re the one who’s mad, huh?!

Ryosuke clicked his tongue as he faced Mirai still with a frown in his face.

Ryosuke: I like you!

He suddenly felt embarrassed.

Ryosuke: …maybe.

Mirai: Ha?

Ryosuke: J-Just forget it, dummy! Ouch—

Ryosuke flinched when Mirai punched him again in the gut and left. They did not talk to each other for a whole week after that.

 

*****

Ryosuke was walking down the stairs when his mother noticed him. She was holding a platter of karage. She smiled sweetly at her only son as she invited him for brunch.

Yamada-okaasan: Perfect timing, I just prepared your meal. (places the platter in the table) Are you meeting Mirai-chan again today?

Ryosuke: Aaahh…probably.

He said as he took a sit in front of the dining table.

Yamada-okaasan: Did something happened?

It took a moment before Ryosuke answered his mother with a smile.

Ryosuke: No…nothing.

Since that day he remembered about the kiss that happened 20 years ago, he was a bit embarrassed at such childishness. He thought Mirai deserved an apology for that which his immature 17-year-old self was not able to do.

After that kiss they did not talk for a while but after a couple of days they are back to normal and he did not even explain himself. He just got bailed for it.

They already had 4 baking sessions and it has been bugging his mind. He wanted to apologize for it but why would he when it’ll only be weird. Well, guess nothing can be undone.

Ryosuke just went on his food and enjoyed his mom’s home cooking.

Ryosuke: This is really good.

He complimented as he munched on more karage.

Yamada-okaasan: Suit yourself it’s all yours. (smiles)

 

****

 

Ryosuke was walking to Mirai’s coffee shop with a tiny box of cake when he noticed a lady running around with the little children in the playground not too far from the shop. He can’t help but smile and decided to get closer and watch her enjoying the tag game.

Her black hair danced as she ran and her flowy long dress along with her as she moved. She looked so joyed and that little wrinkle in her eyes as she smiled proved that. Finally, she noticed Ryosuke and ran towards him.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Why are you out here?

She let out a little pant before.

Mirai: Got bored.

She looked at the little children who continued playing.

Mirai: I heard their voices when I threw some garbage and what you saw is what happened next.

Some kids looked at them to wave and she waved back at them with a smile.

Mirai: They called me “nee-chan”. (looks up proudly at Ryosuke) I thought I’d be called “obaasan”.

Ryosuke chuckled and followed Mirai when she started walking back to the shop.

Mirai: When you get older, all you wanna be is surrounded by young, unruly little children. (laughs)

Ryosuke: (laughs) Then why didn’t you had one?

Mirai’s pace suddenly slowed and her grin turned bitter.

Mirai: Ryo doesn’t want children.

Ryosuke knew at that point, he fcked up. He can only look at the lady next to her and how her eyes looked sad. He wished he had not asked that.

Mirai: When we got married, I thought he pictured us to be a family. Just the way I pictured it to be.

She was trying to retain that little smile in her lips but she can’t hide the pain in her voice.

Mirai: But 5…6 years had passed, and yet he still didn’t want one. 10 years and all we were was just couple with no children.

Ryosuke: You shouldn’t have married that guy.

His voice was low but he never really meant to say those out of his mouth. Mirai looked at him and when he looked back at her, he doesn’t know what to say. He wanted comfort her but this is not how it should be.

Mirai: (smiles) He used to be the best decision I ever have made. He was the only one I had back then. He was the only choice yet the best one... He used to.

She continued walking but Ryosuke was still. He was just watching her. At that moment, all he felt was that burning sensation inside his heart—that feeling of regret and guilt mashed together like a punishment.

 

 

 [2012]

Mirai: Yama-chan? What is it? Why are you out here? Everybody was looking for you. This is our last school fest before graduating, so you better cooperate this time.

She realized he wasn’t listening. So she walked closer to him and looked at the scenery from that rooftop they were standing at.

Ryosuke: That day—

Mirai: (looks at him) What?

Suddenly, Ryosuke grabbed her hand and slowly placed something in her palm. It was ring, with little diamonds around it. When Mirai shifted her daze from the ring to him, he breathed deep, put his hands inside his pockets and looked away.

Ryosuke: That day—what I said that day. I really meant it.

Mirai immediately understood what he was referring to. It has been almost a year but she knew it was that day when he accidently confessed to her that went wrong.

Ryosuke: I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to say it properly. (looks at Mirai) But I really meant that! (gulps and looks away) I just can’t properly say it. With all the rules, the restrictions—(sighs)

All of a sudden, Mirai let out a little chuckle and she looked at Ryosuke. He looked back at her. She looked at her with a soft smile on her lips.

Ryosuke nervously looked straight at her.

Ryosuke: Will you wait until I can finally say it to you?

Mirai lifted the ring in her hand.

Mirai: I’ll wait until I can finally wear this in my finger. (smiles)

Ryosuke was ecstatic but he was the tsundere as he is and just nodded, with that flushed face he was trying to conceal. Mirai laughed and hit him playfully by her elbow.

The guy turned to her with a big smile on his face.

 

 

Mirai: Yama-chan? Hey! Yama-chan!

Ryosuke gasped like he was waking up from sleep.

Mirai: Are you okay?

Ryosuke: I… I was just thinking… (lifts the box of cake) How are we going to recreate this strawberry shortcake I bought from the convenient store?

Mirai: (grins) You’ll figure it out.

Ryosuke: (smiles) You’ve got too much trust on this ojii-san. (walks towards her)

Mirai laughs briefly before continuously walking.

 

*****

 

[2011]

Umika: You turned him down?

Mirai nodded.

Saaya: You did not!

Mirai: I did. And I think that’s the proper thing to do. My management won’t allow it anyway and giving Ryusei-kun false hopes is not good at all.

Suzuka: That, my friend, explains… that! (points outside of the window)

The girls gather next to Suzuka on the window and saw Ryusei Ryo walking with a girl. She suddenly tucked her arm on his.

Umika: Who’s the girl?

Suzuka: Konno Ayuri. First year. She’s a member of the council, so that make sense—the closeness.

Saaya: Obviously they are dating.

Mirai: She talked to me a week ago.

Umika: She did? What did you talk about?

Mirai: I don’t know she was…mad at me for turning him down. Said I’ll regret it.

Umika: That girl threatened you and you did not tell me!

Mirai: Cuz I know that will be your reaction. (laughs)

Umika: No I am really mad!

Mirai: Calm down Umika. It’s fine. (smiles)

Saaya: She better not talk bad to you or we are going to get back at her.

Umika and Saaya nodded at each other.

Mirai: (laughs) Guys! It’s fine. No need for that.

Suzuka: You say so.

 

*****

 

Mirai put the last piece of strawberry on top of the shortcake. She looked at Ryosuke after examining the cake. He nodded happy of the result. He took a serrated knife ready to cut the cake. As he was cutting the cake, Mirai’s hand were clutched together.

He gave her a fork and she took it. Together, they dig in the slice of cake. Both contemplated the taste of the cake until both face distorted.

Ryosuke: Why is that bland?

Mirai: I think I forgot to add the sugar. (purses her lips)

Ryosuke glared at Mirai.

Mirai: I’m sorry. I know I got one job to do.

Ryosuke: It’s fine. You can try to make it again next time. But this one is really a waste. It already looks immaculate but it tastes like a sponge.

Mirai: (grins) We can continue eating the one from the convenience store. I can make you a latte macchiato or an affogato if you want something different…I just bought a vanilla ice cream.

Ryosuke: (laughs briefly) Okay, I’ll take the affogato.

Suddenly, Mirai noticed a car parked outside from the glass wall of the coffee shop. Ryosuke noticed that and he followed her eyes.

Mirai: Wait, I’ll check who’s there.

As Ryosuke nodded, Mirai walked outside. She stood there waiting for someone to get out of the white Nissan.

Finally, the door clicked open and there comes out a slender gorgeous lady in black dress and white Chanel clutch bag.

Mirai tried to composed herself from the shock when she was already in front of her.

 

Ryosuke felt the necessity to be worried so he got to the glass door and observed from there.

 

Mirai: Konno-san.

Ayuri: (smiles and bows) Mirai-san.

Mirai: What are you doing here?

Ayuri: I heard you opened a small coffee shop.

Mirai: It’s still under renovation.

Ayuri: (nods) I see. This is really nice—

Mirai: What do you want?

Ayuri: I just wanna say that as much as you want to make your divorce fast, I am too. I am still convincing him to sign it as soon as possible and I think I am about to convince him.

Mirai: Should I say thank you?

Ayuri: I just want you to know that I did not took him from you. I was just taking back what was always for me.

Mirai: (laughs sarcastically) There wasn’t such a thing. It was always meant for me; you were just a proxy.

Konno Ayuri was triggered. Her smiling face turned angry.

Ayuri: You don’t deserve it! He has given you everything! And you can’t make him happy! You were too strong-willed. You were stubborn. You were not the perfect wife to be married to him.

Ryosuke was about to step in but Mirai looked unaffected. She just calmly blinked.

Mirai: And he was not the husband I wanted.

She stepped closer to the taller woman, she grabbed Ayuri’s wrist.

Mirai: Maybe you’re right. But it’s the other way around… HE doesn’t deserve me!

Ayuri pulled her hand and immediately get inside her car in a panic. Her hands were shaking as she turned the key of her car. She took a glimpse of her when she noticed someone was behind the glass door.

Her eyes popped when she recognized the guy.

Ayuri: Y-Yamada…Ryosuke?

 

Mirai just stood there. Her face doesn’t give off any expression. Not until the car already left and was out of sight when she finally broke down. The tears wouldn’t stop flowing from her eyes. It was the first time in a while when Ryosuke had seen her cry. 

The sight of her made his heart sink. 

He grabbed on the door ready to run to her but he was taken aback as he seen those tears—that pain in her eyes. He recognized those tears because once…he was the reason why she cried.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...