Finally Found Your Way Back to Me

10 Years After That Day

Umika was outside Ryosuke’s place, looking up with a smile on her face.

She still couldn’t believe after all these years he still love her best friend. She never supported him for Mirai but that she guessed it was a mistake.

Suddenly, she can hear Ren call her. She looked at her left and saw Chinen holding his son. Today was Chinen’s day with Ren.

She decided to tell Chinen to meet her up outside Ryosuke’s place to get Ren rather than send Ren home. Jin was always out of the country lately and if she’s not at home, nobody was going to be there.

Both looked at her with the same smile.

Umika: Hey there, little one.

She took Ren’s hand.

Umika: Do you wanna go eat out at your favorite ramen restaurant?

A smile of excitement grew on the boy’s face.

Ren: Eeh? Really mama? Is Jin-san not home again?

Umika heard Chinen laughed. She glared at him but the guy was looking away to notice the death glare.

She loved to cook and really good at that but she’s too lazy to cook sometimes she’ll rather eat out. So if Jin’s not going home to eat, then there’s no reason for her to cook. And she hated how Chinen knew that.

Chinen looked at the building.

Chinen: So, what are you doing here?

Umika: Drove Mirai from Kanagawa. (sighs and smiles) I think she’ll going to stay longer.

Chinen: So, I guess the problem is solved huh?

Umika: Yeah. I guess.

Chinen: Thank you.

Umika: I just thought I have to do what should be done.

She sighed with a smile on her face as she looked down at Ren.

Umika: Let’s go.

Ren looked at his father.

Ren: You’re coming with us, right? Papa?

Chinen slowly looked up at Umika after leaning down on his son.

Umika just sighed.

Chinen: Well, I am fine with that. (smiles)

Ren exclaimed happily before looking up at his mom. She forced a smile as he did.

Umika almost rolled an eye in frustration before she started walking to her car.

Umika: Tell your dad he is paying for dinner.

Ren and Chinen looked at each other before they grinned and shrugged.

Umika can just squeezed her eyes realizing how her son was not just a splitting image of Chinen but even their gestures were identical. How the hell did she gave birth to another Chinen Yuri when she rescented him during her pregnancy!!!?

 

*****

 

Mirai pulled out from the hug and looked up at Ryosuke.

Mirai: You know this wouldn’t be easy with our current situation right now.

Ryosuke: I know. (holds Mirai’s hand) But I don’t care anymore.

Mirai: (laughs) Are you even really Yamada Ryosuke?

Ryosuke: What? (grins) I’m sick of being that coward little boy.

Mirai tapped his left cheek with a grin on her face.

Mirai: Mmh! You’re not that little boy anymore. Even the cheek is gone now.

Ryosuke laughed.

Mirai suddenly noticed the diamond ring on the table. Ryosuke immediately realized that and quickly took it inside his hand, nervously hiding it behind his back.

Ryosuke: Ummm…I was just— (sighs) I know this ring has so many bad memories. I’m actually going to get rid of this, I swear.

Mirai gently took his hand from behind and slowly opened his palm.

Mirai: It’s fine, you don’t have to.

She placed her hand on top of his palm. As she covered the ring, and gripping on his bigger hand.

Mirai: I’m sorry if I can’t wear it for now. (smiles) But you can wait til then, right?

Ryosuke: But you don’t have to. I can get you a better one.

Mirai: But this is our first ring. A sign that we had each other first. (smiles) That’s the good memory this ring has. I think our 19 year-old selves would not wanna get rid of this.

They can feel ring between their palms. Mirai was looking at their hand when he felt Ryosuke tighten his hold on her while he stared at her.

Mirai: Mmh? (smiles)

Ryosuke: (whispers) I will never let you remember the bad memories once you wear this ring. I’ll make sure I’ll turn them all into good ones.

Mirai nodded.

Suddenly he leaned closer to her and kissed her on the lips—brief and subtle before Mirai pulled him back down, kissing him back.

 

*****

 

Miyuu can see the sudden change in Mirai’s mood for the day. It was just yesterday when she looked down and preoccupied but now she woke up early and opened the coffee shop enthusiastically. Her smile wasn’t forced like the past few days and she looked hella bright and…

Miyuu: Blooming.

Miyuu unconsciously said to herself as she stared at Mirai hand a coffee to a customer with her pretty morning smile.

She leaned on the counter next to her sister and glared at her.

Mirai: What?

Miyuu: Maybe you wanna tell me what’s going on?

Mirai: (laughs) What?

Miyuu looked at her suspiciously.

Miyuu: (smirks) You can tell me about anything. I’d be here. Boys? I’d be up to that.

Mirai: We’re not teenagers anymore Miyuu! (laughs)

Mirai and Miyuu were laughing when the glass door opened and Umika and Ren walked in.

Ren: Mirai-chan!

Mirai: Ren-kun! You visited!

She crouched down to the seven-year old boy’s height.

Ren: I wanna eat a lot of cheesecake!

Mirai: Well, you can have as many as you want. (smiles)

Ren: (exclaims happily) Really?!

Mirai: Really.

Umika laughed. Mirai looked up at her before she stood and smiled at her best friend.

They settled on the table on the side with the view of the green leaves of the pine trees outside. Ren was enjoying his slice of cheesecake and orange juice while Umika sipped on his iced coffee.

Umika: So, I called this morning.

Mirai: You did? I did remember any incoming calls from you.

Umika: Not to you. (grins) To Yamada-kun. But he said you were in back in Kanagawa.

Mirai: (shakes her head) He drove me home last night.

Umika: So you did not—

Mirai narrowed her eyes looking at her bestfriend making Umika sip on her coffee.

Umika: Stayed longer.

Mirai shook her head.

Umika: Spent the night. (slids her eyes on the side with a smirk)

Mirai: Really, Umika? In front of your child?

Umika: (laughs) He doesn’t understand that!

Mirai smiled shaking her head in disbelief, until Umika’s laugh subsided.

Umika: So, it’s you and Yamada-kun now, eh?

Mirai slowly nodded with a tiny smile on her lips.

Umika tried to cover her excitement and giddiness.

Umika: I am happy for you and Yamada-kun. (smiles) I actually am feeling so hyped right now and this coffee is making it worst. (grins)

Mirai laughed.

Umika: So, does Miyuu know? Your mom and dad?

Mirai bit her lower lip as she shook her head.

Mirai: I still don’t know how to tell them, especially mom and dad. I don’t know but wouldn’t they think it was a rush? It has been a month since I was officially divorced and here I am dating another guy?

Umika: (sighs) One month divorced but it has been six months since you separated, right? And that jerk ex-husband of yours been cheating for more than a year. It’s not rushed. (smiles) And Yamada-kun is not just another guy…he is the first guy.

Mirai’s eyes were relaxed and a smile of relief carved in her lips. She was just so happy to have Umika.

Umika, noticing some tears and a pout on Mirai’s face finally laughed and brought up another topic.

Umika: Anyway, Saaya’s back to Tokyo! (smiles excitedly)

Mirai: Eeh?! Really? (smiles)

Umika: Yup and she wanted to meet. That’s why I am here… to fetch you.

 

*****

 

Saaya: Oh my god! Mirai-chan! You’re here!

Saaya immediately hugged Mirai when she and Umika arrived in the café Saaya told them to meet. Suzuka was already there sitting with Saaya.

Saaya: I thought I’ll never see you again when you ditched my wedding.

Mirai: I’m really really sorry Saaya-chan. That was the same day I had to attend a party for—

Saaya: Of course your husband always wins. (laughs)

There was an akward silence before Saaya’s laugh subsided looking at the three ladies. With bulging eyes, she looked confusingly at her friends.

Saaya: Is there something I should know?

Umika: (sighs) Maybe we should sit first.

Mirai nodded with a smile.

Saaya: Oh my god! Is this something serious?

They were all sitted around the wooden table when their eyes were all to Mirai who flipped her long black hair before a smile.

Mirai: I already divorced Ryo.

Saaya: What?! Why?! Aww~ Mirai-chan.

Saaya who was sitted across Mirai stood from her sit and hugged her friend.

Mirai: (taps Saaya’s hand gently) It’s alright. I am fine now. I have moved on.

Saaya went back to her seat with a pout on her lips.

Saaya: I’m sorry but I never actually liked him for you. (eyes Umika) It was just Umika.

Umika: Hey! Haven’t you forgotten how giddy you were when Ryo-san gave Mirai a gigantic bouquet of flowers in high school? You were the one who convinced Mirai to date him!

Saaya: (pouts) But that was when I didn’t know Mirai and Yamada-kun was secretly a thing.

There was another silence.

Saaya faked a cough.

Saaya: Sorry.

Suzuka: (laughs) Saaya-chan used to really root for Yamada-kun for you. But she was just too scared of Umika who was a hundred percent backing up for Ryusei Ryo-san.

Umika: Don’t remind me about that! (crosses her hands in front of her chest) Okay fine! I made a mistake!

Mirai laughed as she rubbed Umika’s back.

Mirai: Nobody knew he’ll be a jerk.

Suzuka: Don’t sulk Umika. (laughs) I too supported Ryo-san for Mirai. A hundred percent too.

Saaya: Yeah! I hate you guys! I was the only one who voted for Yamada-kun.

Mirai eyed her friends.

Mirai: Voted?!

Umika: (roles her eyes) Uuuuggghh! It was a long time ago but we had a little deliberation whether to support Ryo-san or will wait for Yamada-kun to come up to you and maybe do something.

Mirai: You had that kind of deliberation, huh? So you’ve been discussing things about me. (glares at her friends)

Suzuka: But Yamada-kun seems to do nothing and despite the number of times he and his girlfriend…ummm…

Saaya: Satoko-san.

Suzuka: Yes! Satoko-san. Even if they broke up so many times, he never came up to you so Umika and I decided to just get rid of him from the options.

Saaya: Even if I said to give him another chance.

Suzuka: But have you thought about it, Yamada-kun has not married yet. He has never been in a serious relationship ever since.

Saaya: (nods) I guess he really had it bad when Mirai got married.

Umika: Actually he did. (smirks) But don’t worry he is fine now.

Mirai just grinned awkwardly. When suddenly her phone rang, and the called ID showed Yamada Ryosuke on the screen.

The three girls’ eyes were on Mirai’s ringing phone. She immediately hid her phone.

Mirai: Ah…lemme take this call. Excuse me. (grins awkwardly)

Mirai left the table.

Saaya: Hey, wait! So Yamada-kun’s seeing someone now?

Umika just shrugged looking at Mirai who was on one isolated corner of the café, talking to Ryosuke on the phone.

Suzuka: (smiles) But I am just really happy that Mirai is smiling and looked great. Whatever is happening to her life right now, I know it’s best for her.

Umika and Saaya smiled.

Umika: Anyway, how’s your married life Saaya-chan?!

Saaya grinned excitedly.

Saaya: It’s so much better than I think it would be! Especially when it’s just the two of us! (laughs)

Suzuka: (laughs) Saaya-chan!

Saaya: Anyway, when are you getting a baby number two, Umika-chan? Ren-kun is already seven. Maybe it’s time to give the little guy a younger sister or brother.

Umika: (chuckles) Jin and I haven’t planned for it yet. But…I really want to. Now that Ren had grown up and I have been left alone when Jin is out for work and Ren is with Chinen. It just felt lonely sometimes.

Mirai joined them again on the table.

Saaya: When I think of it, our husbands have not properly met, right? Maybe we can hang out. Anytime you are free.

Suzuka: That’s a good idea, except that Mirai here has no husband anymore.

Saaya: Oh. (pouts)

Suddenly a smirk grew on Saaya’s face.

Saaya: You can bring that person who just called you.

Mirai: Eh? (glimpses at Umika)

Umika just shrugged, shook her head, signaling Mirai that she did not tell them anything.

Saaya: I was looking at you. That was a guy, right?

Mirai awkwardly laughed, tilting her head.

Saaya: C’mon, you don’t have to tell us anything now. Just surprise us!

Saaya playfully smiles.

Suzuka: (laughs) Saaya-chan! You’re pressuring Mirai-chan.

Umika: Don’t mind her, Mirai. (giggles) You don’t have to do what Saaya-chan says.

Mirai: (breathes deep) Okay. I’ll bring him.

Umika: Eeeeehhh???!!

Suzuka: (covers ) Oh my god. There’s really a guy.

Saaya: I knew it!!! (grins)

Mirai: (gulps) If…he’s free.

Saaya: Ooohh, a busy guy. (teasingly smiles)

 

******

 

Mirai was sitting on the counter, watching Ryosuke cook. He was still wearing the clothes we wore from work behind the apron and his hair was still styled.

Mirai: Don’t you really need help tho?

Ryosuke: (smiles) Just sit there and relax. I know you have been standing all day in the coffe shop, making coffee and baking pastries.

Mirai: Right, says the guy who’s been running on green screen and jumping with harness ropes after a dance practice. Then went on a game show shooting arrows and climbing walls!

Ryosuke laughed before he dropped the ladle, wiped his hand and walked to his girlfriend on the counter.

He leaned on the narrow counter table between them with a smile on his face.

Ryosuke: This is the first time you visited me, so I am celebrating that.

Mirai: (laughs) So you’ll open your best wine?

Ryosuke: You bet.

Mirai: The last time Chinen told you to bring the best wine, you did not bring him the best so it is still here.

Ryosuke: (laughs) He told you that?

Ryosuke went back to his cooking, and after a taste, he turned off the stove.

Ryosuke: Anyway, you said you are gonna tell me something, right?

Mirai: Uhh… yeah.

She jumped from the tall chair and walked closer to Ryosuke, leaning on the cupboard.

Mirai: Uhnn…I met with Saaya-chan the other day.

Ryosuke: Oh, so Saaya-chan’s back eh?

Mirai: (nods) She invited me, Umika and Suzuka for a backyard barbeque night picnic in her place.

Ryosuke was already plating the food and just glanced at Mirai and nodded.

Mirai: But…their husbands are coming along. (awkwardly smiles)

Ryosuke lifted his face and looked at Mirai.

Ryosuke: Don’t tell me you’re inviting Ryusei Ryo?! There’s no way I’ll let you do that!

Mirai: Eh? Of course not!

Ryosuke: (sighs) Then why do you look so nervous?

Mirai: I just thought…maybe you can come with me…if you don’t have anything to do on that day.

Ryosuke just looked at Mirai. He looked really shocked and happy at the same time that his eyes looked sparkling and there’s a little pout in his lips.

That made Mirai chuckle.

Mirai: What’s with that face?!

Ryosuke: You’ll really bring me?

Mirai: (nods) If it’s okay with you.

Ryosuke: Of couse it is. (pouts)

There was a soft smile on Mirai as she looked at Ryosuke. She stepped closer to him and squeezed his cheek and a big playful grin appeared on her face.

Mirai: You’re acting like a kid. Dating you feels so illegal.

Ryosuke: (laughs) I am 37!

They were laughing when suddenly Mirai looked at him in the eyes.

Mirai: Yama-chan… (sighs) I…I actually haven’t told mom and dad yet, not even Miyuu. About us.

Ryosuke nodded.

Ryosuke: I haven’t talked to mom and dad too. But I’d tell them about us properly. (smiles) For now, I am happy that you are here.

Mirai: (smiles) Me too.

*****

 

Saaya was setting up the picnic table in their backyard while her husband was setting up the grill. It was 7:00 in the evening and the moon was in perfect crescent. Suzuka and Hayato had just arrived and pulled out the food in their picnic basket.

They had a little introduction with each other. They met during Saaya’s wedding but they haven’t that the chance to talk.

Saaya’s husband, Akihito, was a 42-year-old producer in the Indie film industry.

They had a good little chat when Umika arrived. Suzuka immediately noticed the familiar car she came out with Ren. There was a deep sigh and tensed expression in her face.

Hayato: Eh? Isn’t that Chinen’s car?

Suzuka looked at her husband in wonder. She thought the same. Now it was just confirmed when Chinen Yuri went out of the car.

Saaya: Oh my god, you need a lot of explaining to do.

Saaya teasingly slid eyes on Chinen inside the car.

Umika rolled her eyes when she finally got in the yard. She briefly looked at Ren next to him.

Umika: Okay, this is a long story.

She sighed as they gather closer to Umika. She was about to start the storytelling when she noticed Akihito.

Umika: Oh, hi. (offers a hand shake) Shirasu Umika. Nice to meet you again, Akihito-san.

Akihito shook her hand briefly.

Akihito: Formerly Kawashima Umika. (looks at Chinen who’s parking his car) That is your—

Umika: That’s Chinen Yuri.

Akihito: (nods) Oh wait! I need to check the barbeque!

Akihito went to the barbeque.

Suzuka: Okay, are you starting the long story now?

Umika: (sighs) Actually, Jin wasn’t able to get home this morning due to some unexpected transactions. So supposedly, I am coming with just Ren so I fetch him from school… (sighs) I parked my car in front of the school. When I get back, the back of my car was already crashed by a truck with Chinen Yuri’s face on it.

Suzuka: Oh my god, are you okay?

Saaya: Huh? Was that the truck with Chinen endorsing a laundry soap.

Umika: Yeah. (nods) Coincidentally, Yuto saw it from the news and called Chinen playfully informing that his truck got into a traffic accident. But apparently Chinen recognized my car and the place of the accident which was in front of Ren’s school, so he went there.

Chinen: It took sometime of deliberation in the police office. That’s why we are late.

All of them looked shocked when Chinen barged in.

Chinen: So you didn’t tell me we are having a barbeque picnic!

 Hayato tilted his head as he grabbed the guy’s shoulder.

Hayato: Of course, we are going to invite you!

Suzuka: If only this is not supposed to be a couple barbeque picnic.

Chinen looked around and noticed they came in pair.

Chinen: Oh.

Saaya: But you should stay now that you’re here, Chinen-kun! (smiles) Umika will be lonely.

That gained Saaya an elbow from Umika.

Saaya: I am kidding! I meant, Chinen-kun can invite over Naomi-chan, right?

Chinen: I want to but she’s…she’s still mad at me.

His friends looked at him.

Chinen: I did not do anything, I swear.

Their glare got deeper.

Chinen: Okay I did. (sighs) I have been very persuasive lately and she didn’t like that.

Hayato: What do you mean?

Chinen: I told her I want a child. She always never liked the idea.

That made Umika realized why he always spent time Ren.

His friends just nodded.

Umika: I think you should respect that. Maybe in time, she will be ready to.

Chinen: (smiles and pats Ren’s head) Right. Anyway, I have Ren-kun.

Ren looked up at him, confused.

Ren: Am I getting a younger brother?

Chinen laughed.

Ren: (looks up at Umika) Mama is always talking about wanting a baby too. (looks up at Chinen) So am I getting a younger brother from mama and papa?

Chine and Umika’s eyes bulged in shock. Now they realized how hard it was to explain things to Ren. It all started when they had to explain why they were not together and why was Jin not his dad.

Umika: No, Ren-kun. No. (crouches down in front of Ren) If you are gonna have a younger sibling, it will be from me and Jin-san…or (looks up Chinen) from Chinen-kun and Naomi-san.

Ren: But you are my mama and (looks at Chinen) he is my papa, so how is it possible?

Chinen just scratched his head and Umika just looked at Ren still struggling to explain the seven-year old boy about their setup.

Meanwhile Saaya was pursing her lips together to avoid herself from laughing. Suzuka and Hayato looked at each other with an awkward smile.

Saaya: That is so cute. Hey Ren-kun, come along I have to show you something.

Saaya pulled Ren-kun gently.

Saaya: Do you know a telescope?! It’s a device which makes you see the stars and the moon clearly.

Ren: Really?

Chinen and Umika can just sigh when they got out of the weird situation.

Chinen looked at Umika who was rubbing her temple and tucked the stray hair on her ear.

Chinen: In the right time, he will understand things.

Umika: (nods) It is just hard sometimes. He has so many questions I don’t know how to answer.

Hayato: If you need anything, Suzu and I are here. We’ll do our best to be of help for the both of you.

Suzuka nodded with a smile as she held on Hayato’s arm.

Umika: Thank you. (smiles)

Chinen smiled.

While Saaya and Ren were checking on the crescent moon from the telescope, Saaya heard an engine of a car expecting Mirai to finally arrive. She had an excited look on her face.

Saaya: Everybody! Mirai-chan is here!

Mirai went out from the car. All eyes on her. All are waiting for a person to come out from the driver’s side of the car.

Umika glanced at Chinen which made Chinen turned to Umika in a whisper.

Chinen: I know that car.

Suzuka and Hayato looked at each other too, knowing exactly who owned the car who just arrived.

Saaya can only cover in shock when Yamada Ryosuke went out of the car.

Ryosuke closed the car door and walked closer to Mirai.

Saaya: Wait, is this another “my car got hit by a truck” story?

Umika and Chinen just looked at each other, knowing exactly it was not the same case.

Suzuka: Or this is just another story.

Hayato grinned looking at Ryosuke who just fetched Mirai’s hand by his bigger one and pulled her gently holding her hand.

Hayato: Well, I guess this is really another story.

Suzuka and Saaya looked at the approaching couple in awe.

Mirai looked tensed as she observed everyone’s reaction.

Mirai: Sorry we’re late.

Ryosuke: Oh wait, I forgot the food in the car. I’ll just get it.

Ryosuke let go of Mirai’s hand and tapped her back before turning back on track.

Chinen: I’ll help out.

Ryosuke and Chinen left to go back to the car.

Saaya: Uh-huh~ I need to calm down for moment coz I am hyperventilating right now. (looks at Ryosuke who was carrying a big food container) Why are you with Yamada Ryosuke?

Mirai glanced at Ryosuke who’s now placing the food container in the table and had a little chat with Akihito. Chinen tapped him in the shoulder the moment he also placed another food container on the table.

Saaya: And why were you holding hands?

Suzuka: The last time I checked, you were just catching up with each other.

Hayato: I have a slightest idea what’s going on. (grins)

Saaya: Whatever that is, Hayato-kun… I think you’re right. (smirks)

Mirai just chuckled. Suddenly Ryosuke appeared behind Mirai and Chinen joined the small group.

Mirai: (glances at Ryosuke) Uuhh~ How should I start this?

Ryosuke grinned at Mirai before he looked at his friends.

Ryosuke: I am finally winning in life.

That made his friends laugh. Hayato wrapped an arm around Ryosuke before a light punch on his arm.

Saaya: Yup! That’s my boy! (points at Ryosuke)

Suzuka clasped her hands together as she looked at both Mirai and Ryosuke.

Suzuka: (sighs) Finally, you find the way back to each other.

Ryosuke and Mirai looked at each other before Ryosuke smiled and Mirai scrunched her nose chuckling.

Ryosuke: More like…She find her way back to me.

Mirai glared at him for a moment before she tilted her head with a shrug and a single nod.

Mirai: Maybe.

Saaya: Okay stop! Stop! You guys are giving me butterflies. I can’t stop smiling like a madman.

Saaya jumped in front of Mirai and Ryosuke pulling each of their hand and put them together inside her palms.

Saaya: But I am so happy for you two. Please take care of each other.

Suzuka nodded and also placed her hand on top of Saaya’s.

Suzuka: Yamada-kun, we place Mirai-chan in your care.

Chinen: Mirai-chan, we place Ryosuke in your care.

Mirai and Ryosuke looked at each other, weirded out at their friends’ reaction.

Umika: (laughs) Guys, you’re startling them!

Hayato: (laughs) What are you guys been saying?! Leave those lines to their parents!

There was a rage of laughter.

Saaya: Come on, let me introduce you to my husband.

Later on, Yuto, Kamiki and Shuhei arrived when Saaya decided to let them join the fun.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH??????????????!!!!!!”

Kamiki and Shuhei’s scream echoed in the middle of the night which was immediately shushed by the rest.

Shuhei: Okay wait. (points at Ryosuke and Mirai) The last time I saw you, you denied that you are dating!

Ryosuke: Coz we were not.

Kamiki: S-since when did you start dating?!

Mirai: Yet a week.

Ryosuke: (nods and looks at Mirai) 6 days.

Mirai: (nods) Yeah. Just really recently.

Kamiki: (scrunches his hair) I did not even see that coming! So this is what happens behind my back eh? During Tantei Gakuen Q, you secretly had been exchanging mails. In high school, you actually were secretly a thing—no label but a thing. And now…oh my god! You two are sneaky as hell!

Mirai: Relax Miki.

Ryosuke: You always have a different reaction to everything, Ryuu.

Yuto was laughing as he munched on his food.

Kamiki: And why aren’t you even shock, Yuto?!

Yuto: What?! I already know. Chinen and I know. The rest of JUMP know.

Chinen: Who would not! (hits Ryosuke’s shoulder) This guy randomly brought us all in an expensive restaurant. (laughs)

Mirai turned to her boyfriend with a questioning look.

Ryosuke: Don’t judge me. (looks at Yuto and Chinen) I did not even tell you guys why I brought you to the restaurant.

Chinen: You did.

Yuto: Yup! When you were happily drunk.

Everybody laughed. Ryosuke embarrassedly gulped and turned to Mirai who was giggling next to him. He hid his face behind Mirai’s shoulder.

Ryosuke: (whispers) That was so uncool.

Mirai just laughed and tapped his arm.

Kamiki sighed with a smile.

Kamiki: Anyway, I am glad that finally my best friends are together. I know that you both are in good hands. (sighs) But Yama-chan and Mirai…please don’t surprise me with a baby! I have uncle issues, you know that!

That gained another round of laughter.

Ryosuke: (laughs) I can’t promise you that tho.

Mirai: (hits Ryosuke’s arm) Idiot!

Saaya: Oh before you guys, Akihito and I should be first.

Akihito: Yup! Anytime this year, expect that you’ll be an uncle again, Kamiki-kun.

Kamiki: Oh right! I expected that, but I am really thrilled. I don’t know if I am happy or not.

It was a long night of chatting and eating and a lot laughter. It was already midnight when they left at Saaya and Akihito’s place. After a few minutes’ drive, Ryosuke and Mirai finally arrived home.

Ryosuke: Okay, we’re here.

Mirai: Eh? (looks outside) 

She realized they were in the parking lot of Ryosuke’s apartment.

Mirai: It’s already midnight, I need to go home.

Ryosuke: It’s already midnight and I am tired to drive a few more kilometers. You can spend the night here. (unbuckles his seatbelt)

Mirai just glared at Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: (yawns) Come on. I am really really tired, Mirai. I am driving you home early tomorrow…(smiles) Promise.

Mirai sighed and removed her seatbelt.

Mirai: Okay. But you’ll sleep in the couch.

Ryosuke nodded as yawned once more.

They were already inside Ryosuke’s apartment when he immediately dived in the couch.

Mirai: (chuckles) Yama-chan, I am kidding.

Mirai pulled his hand, trying to make him stand.

Mirai: Come on, you can sleep in your room. (sits on the small space on the edge on the couch)

Ryosuke can just smile while his eyes were closed.

Ryosuke: It’s okay. I can settle here.

Mirai stared at his face for quiet some time before she swept Ryosuke’s hair to the side.

Mirai: Thank you for tonight. Thank you for sneaking a portion of your time for me.

Suddenly, Ryosuke moved to the side, tilted his body. Now his back touched the back of the couch. Leaving an enough space.

With closed eyes, his right arm spread and his left hand tapped on the space.

Mirai immediately understood what he meant as she slowly lied next to him. Her back facing him, pillowing on his arm. He wrapped his left arm on her waist. He stared at his right hand hanging loosely on the edge of the couch. She can hear his breathing behind her head.

She felt a gentle kiss on the back of her head before he tigtened his embrace.

Ryosuke: (whispers) You’re welcome.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I am so sorry for the late update. I really tried to give you more chapters but my time can't afford to. I hope you still enjoy this update. :)))