Settled as Friends

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke was running down the stairs when his mother called his name. She sounded excited and happy.

Ryosuke: Mom, what’s going on?

There was a big smile on his mom’s face. Before she can finally say a word, two sets of small voices called him by a nickname.

“Ryo-chan!”

 A girl around eleven or twelve and a five-year-old boy ran excitedly towards him and gave him a big hug. It’s Meikko and Hio, Chihiro’s children.

Ryosuke crouched down, one arm on Meikko and one on Hio.

Meikko: Mom told us Ryo-chan is here.

Ryosuke: So you missed me huh? (smiles)

Meikko: Just a little.

Hio: I missed you! When are we going to play soccer again, Ryo-chan?

Ryosuke: Today! Of course. Right?

Ryosuke looked at his mother and older sister, Chihiro.

Chihiro: Yeah! (smiles) My kids are yours for the day…Ryo-chan.

Calling him by the kids call their uncle.

Ryosuke: Did you hear that? I’m gonna be your dad for the day!

The kids laughed.

Chihiro: But! Ryosuke! No buying of toys or anything. Your spoiling them so much.

Ryosuke shrugged.

Chihiro: Seriously their father and I are trying to instill in them that we can’t buy things you can.

Ryosuke: Okay. I’m sorry. (looks at the kids) No expensive toys.

Hio: And ice cream?

Hio looked sad.

Ryosuke: Of course, we can have ice cream. (turns to Chihiro) Right?

Chihiro: Ice cream is fine.

Hio jumped in excitement making the rest laugh.

Chihiro: So, I am not going to stay longer. I have to go. I really just need to drop the kids. (turns to her mother) Thank you, mom. (turns to Ryosuke) I’ll leave the kids to you.

Ryosuke: Roger that.

Chihiro: (smiles) I hope you realize you need kids of your own after babysitting Meikko and Hio.

Ryosuke: Or the other way around. (laughs)

Chihiro: (laughs) You love unruly kids.

Chihiro walked to the door.

Ryosuke: Bye.

He then turned to Meikko and Hio.

Ryosuke: So, no toy stores, no shopping, no amusement parks. What do you wanna do?

Meikko: What does jiji do?

Ryosuke: Jiji? I told you not the forbidden uncle-nickname, Meikko-chan.

Meikko: (scoffs) But you’re an ojii-san!

Ryosuke pouted at Meikko and the girl just sighed.

Meikko: Fine…But how about Ryo-jiji?

Ryosuke held his breath as he squeezed his eyes.

Ryosuke: No! Sounds nauseating.

The kids laughed.

Hio: I just wanna play soccer!

 

Ryosuke got his old soccer ball and played soccer with Hio and Meikko in the backyard. Kenta also played along with them. They end up playing tag too. While the older lady watched them and was happy to see Ryosuke enjoying these kinds of moments. At a young age, he already started working and it became his priority. She can’t help but think what if she did not sign him up for Johnny’s? How many kids might he has now? Or will he be a teacher or a professional soccer player?

But she had no regrets. Ryosuke was surrounded with a lot of great people that made him so he is.

After an hour of playing, they slumped on the couch.

Hio: Now I want ice cream.

Ryosuke laughed.

Ryosuke: I kinda am up to that.

Yamada-okaasan: There’s a gelato shop across the playground.

Ryosuke: Really? I didn’t notice.

Yamada-okaasan: That’s because you have only had gone as far as Mirai’s coffee shop. (smiles) It’s a little few more blocks away.

Ryosuke: Yosh! So (looks both Meikko and Hio) Let’s go and get ice cream!

 

 

*****

 

Meanwhile, Mirai was decorating her strawberry shortcake. She had two more attempts before this. She sighed in relief looking at the better result.

She wiped the dripping sweat under her chin by the back of her hand, only to be smudged by a little whipped cream.

Suddenly, Mirai heard the sound of the bell on the door. She tilted her body to the side to see who’s coming. She wiped her hands and went out of the counter.

There was a smile and a confused look at her when she saw two kids went in and Ryosuke holding them.

Ryosuke: I just thought we’d drop by—

He was cut off mid-sentence when Meikko and Hio ran towards Mirai.

Meikko: Mirai-chan!

Ryosuke was confused.

Mirai: (crouches down) (smiles) Meikko-chan. Hio-kun. Hisashiburiii~

Hio: Mirai-chan is here, Ryo-chan! (turns to Ryosuke excitedly)

Ryosuke: (raises brows) I didn’t know you already know each other.

Mirai: (chuckles) Chihiro and I went to the same cooking class. You know, wives get the necessity to learn how to cook. That was then I met Meikko-chan and Hio-kun.

She said as she smiled at the kids.

Meikko: Mirai-chan and Ryo-san even brought us to eat foie gras! (grins excitedly) It was really delicious!

Ryosuke raised a brow when he realized, the kids did not just met Mirai…but also the husband.

Hio: (points at Ryosuke) Ryo-chan, you have the same name with that man!

Ryosuke: Yeah, but I am a Ryosuke. (points at himself)

Hio: I thought you are Ryo-chan? Hmmm…

Mirai smiled amusingly at the kids.

Hio: Is Ryo-san here?

Ryosuke had just watched Mirai handle the situation.

Mirai: (shakes her head) Ryo-san is working very far away that Mirai-chan can not see him anymore.

Hio: That’s fine. Ryo-san is a bit scary anyway. (grins)

There was a sudden change in Mirai’s face. She gasped and forced a smile. Ryosuke unconsciously clenched his fist as he looked at Mirai.

But out of the blue, Mirai started snorting as she tried not to laugh until she burst in silent laugh.

Ryosuke: I’m sorry. Hio-kun doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Mirai: No, actually Hio-kun’s right. (grins) Ryo is really bad at dealing with kids.

Meikko: Hio! Look at this! (points at the shortcake)

Hio: Oh! A cake! That’s so cooool!

Hio excitedly ran towards his older sister and looked at the strawberry shortcake while Ryosuke and Mirai watched the kids.

Ryosuke: Finally, a finished product.

Mirai: (briefly laughs and sighs) After three attempts.

Ryosuke laughed along, when he decided to wipe the whipped cream in Mirai’s chin with the back of his hand.

Mirai was surprised as she touched her chin.

Mirai: Was that in my chin all along?

Ryosuke nodded and laughed. Mirai laughed embarrassedly, as she took a napkin and cleaned Ryosuke’s hand.

The kids looked at Ryosuke and Mirai then looked at each other. Hio shrugged. Meikko grinned.

Meikko: Are you dating?

That made Mirai and Ryosuke looked at each other with a confused look before Ryosuke grabbed Meikko.

Ryosuke: Where did you learn that? (tickles Meikko)

Mirai watched Ryosuke tickle Meikko while the girl tried to get through his arms. Mirai laughed.

Meikko: I am in 6th grade! Jiji!

Meanwhile, Hio suddenly held Mirai’s hand.

Hio: Let’s go get my ice cream, Mirai-chan. (smiles)

Ryosuke and Meikko finally stopped at turn to Hio and Mirai.

Meikko: (skips to Mirai) Ah! Come along with us, Mirai-chan.

 

Mirai could never refuse. She found herself walking with Ryosuke and his niece and nephew to the gelato shop. Ryosuke was giving Hio a piggyback while Meikko was between him and Mirai. And the girl was holding Mirai’s hand.

If strangers see them, they’ll be thought as a couple with two kids.

 

*****

 

They arrived in an Italian ice cream shop not so far from the coffee shop. The four of them sat around the table. Ryosuke was busy cleaning the area around Hio’s lips while eating his chocolate hazel gelato, that even his own ice cream is already melting.

Meikko and Mirai was chatting while enjoying their vanilla ice cream.

On the table across them were two guys. The other one was wearing a black beanie and a huge black hoodie while the older one had his hair dyed in orange.

“I’m Nomura Shuhei, you know!”

The beanie guy said scratching his nape, frustratingly. The orange-haired guy who happened to be his manager can only sigh.

Shuhei: I am a healthy 37-year-old guy and nobody wanted to date me!

Shuhei complained as he eats his ice cream. His manager was nice enough to come along with him on that sunny morning since no one from the set of SHuhei’s new dorama wanted to.

Shuhei: Even all my girl co-stars refused me! I don’t know if I’d like to go back to the set after this. (sighs)

Suddenly the family on the other table got his attention.

Shuhei: Look at that happy couple over there with their children. That could have been me too! But no! I am single, lonely, getting older man.

Shuhei looked back at the table across. He sighed but suddenly his eyes narrowed trying to clear his vision.

Shuhei: Wait, do you see that lady. That’s Shida Mirai. You know Shida Mirai, right?

Manager Orange-san: Yeah. She retired couple of years ago.

Shuhei: Yeah that’s her. She married a son of a business tycoon. They own a big clothing lines and restaurants and yeah of course…golf courses.

Manager Orange-san: You mean that guy with her?

Shuhei looked clearly at the guy with Shida Mirai. He was busy wiping the boy’s face so Shuhei can’t see his face. Finally, the guy turned enough for Shuhei to recognize him.

Shuhei: (coughs) What the f—!

 

He immediately got up from his seat and into the table across.

Shuhei: So what’s going on here?!

Mirai: (surprised) Shuhei?!

Ryosuke: Oi Shuhei. What are you doing here?

Shuhei’s eyes take turns in looking at Mirai and Ryosuke.

Shuhei: Ok, what I know is you two did not make it to happy-ever-after so tell me WHY!?? WHY DO YOU HAVE FREAKING KIDS!!!

Ryosuke and Mirai looked up at him blankly.

Mirai: Shuhei-kun, calm down.

Ryosuke: You are surely out of your mind.

Meikko: Who is this loud man, jiji?

Ryosuke: (sighs) Meikko! I told you not to call me that!

Shuhei: Jiji?

Shuhei was taken aback.

Ryosuke: Meikko-chan. Hio-kun. Meet Shuhei-kun, another jiji.

Mirai: They’re Yama-chan’s niece and nephew. Remember Chihiro, Yama-chan’s older sister? She’s their mom.

Shuhei let out a big sigh as he fell, sitting next to Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Are you alright? (frowns) (whispers) Are you on drugs again?

Shuhei: I almost had a heart attack! I thought I missed one-fourth of my life for not knowing what my friends had been doing!

Shuhei leaned his arm on the table and looked at Ryosuke and Mirai again.

Shuhei: You still need an explanation to do.

Ryosuke: (sighs) Well, I’m on a month long break. Actually I only have two weeks more.

Mirai: I just moved back here.

Ryosuke: We bumped into each other and we’re just catching up.

Shuhei: Nothing more?

Ryosuke: Nothing more.

Mirai: Ah! He gives me baking class sometimes.

Shuhei: You—(thinks) So you’re telling me this is not just the first or the second time you bumped into each other? Oh I see… you hang out!

Shuhei gasped as he leaned to Mirai.

Shuhei: Hey Mirai-chan, does your wealthy husband know about this?

Mirai: No.

Shuhei: Oh my god! (gasped) This is danger!

Mirai: Chill, he won’t mind.

Shuhei: Huh? You remember when you were just dating and I drove you home…he was there? He grabbed my collar and almost punched the hell out of me!

Mirai: (chuckles) I’m sorry about that, Shuhei-kun.

Shuhei: It’s fine now. I am just worried about Yama-chan over here. (looks at Ryosuke)

Ryosuke: Don’t worry. We are just old friends taking these kids for an ice cream.

Shuhei: I don’t know, man.

He sighed once more when a sudden smile curved in his lips.

Shuhei: But looking at both you right now, not to bring old memories…but I must say you still look good together. (chuckles)

Ryosuke and Mirai’s eyes were on Shuhei and the guy felt uneasy as he coughed.

Shuhei: (clears throat) Okay. I am making things uncomfortable here so I’m gonna go. It’s really nice seeing the both of you today. (stands from sitting) Anyway, Yama-chan, you’re still single right? No girlfriend?

Ryosuke: Unfortunately…yeah.

Shuhei: (smiles) Cool! At least I’m not the only one.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Idiot!

Shuhei’s manager was waiting at him from the door.

Shuhei: I’ll see soon.

Meikko and Hio: Bye, jiji!

Shuhei: Hey! These kids are trying to frustrate me again!

 

*****

 

[2015]

Mirai: Still friends?

Ryosuke took Mirai’s hand and nodded with tears on his eyes.

Mirai: (chuckles) Are you crying?

Ryosuke: (wipes the tears on his cheeks) I probably am.

He joked as more tears streamed on his cheeks.

Mirai smiled at him softly.

Ryosuke: If only I can—

Mirai: Hey! You don’t have to change anything now. (smiles) Everything will fall on its right place.

Suddenly a shivering voice from behind.

Shuhei: I—uh I’m sorry but I can’t take the cold anymore.

Mirai: Shuhei-kun!

Mirai immediately grabbed a towel and wrapped it around the guy, letting him sit.

Mirai: How long have you been standing there?

Shuhei: Since Suzuka-chan was running upstairs. (shivers) S-Sorry I heard everything. I d-don’t intend too. Anyway, nothing sunk in my brain. I think it went full freeze.

Ryosuke served him a cup of hot tea which he immediately cupped and drink.

Mirai: How about the others? Kamiki, Yuto and Jingi?

Shuhei: Th-They are on the grill pestering Hayato to remove the yakiniku and the vegetables and make a bonfire instead. Umika-chan was in raged.

There was a sudden silence.

Shuhei: So…you two are settled being friends huh?

Suddenly a fast stomping can be heard going downstairs.

Suzuka: It’s here! I have more towels!

*****

 

After the ice cream, they trailed back to the coffee shop. This time, the two kids are between Ryosuke and Mirai. Meikko was clenching on Ryosuke’s T-shirt and Hio holding Mirai’s hand.

They had a little chat while Meikko and Hio never stopped addressing Shuhei “jiji”. Ryosuke was relieved he is not the “jiji” anymore.

Mirai: I’m here!

They stopped in front of the coffee shop.

Mirai: (crouches down in front of Hio) Thank you for bringing me on an ice cream break, Hio-kun.

Hio nodded happily.

Meikko walked closer to her.

Mirai: Meikko-chan too. (smiles)

Meikko: (smiles) Till next time, Mirai-chan.

Mirai nodded and stood from crouching as she looked at Ryosuke and bowed at him. He did too and took both Meikko and Hio’s hands.

Mirai waved at them as they go when suddenly Meikko pulled out from Ryosuke’s hand and ran towards Mirai.

The little girl gestured Mirai to crouch down. And when Mirai did, she whispered in her ear.

Meikko: (whispers) Ryo-san is gone now right?

Mirai nodded.

Meikko: (whispers) That means, Ryo-chan…

Mirai was nervously waiting for what Meikko is about to say.

Meikko: Ryo-chan can be the one to bring us to eat foie gras. He wouldn’t mind if we eat two.

Mirai laughed and nodded.

Meikko: (whispers) And Mirai-chan looked a lot happier today. (smiles)

That made Mirai’s heart flutter. Is she? She did not realize it but she may really be a lot happier.

Meikko ran back to her uncle.

Meikko: Bye-bye, Mirai-chan!

Mirai waved back at them.

Ryosuke looked down at his niece.

Ryosuke: What did you tell Mirai?

Meikko: (smiles) Nothing.

Ryosuke narrowed his eyes, glaring at Meikko.

Meikko: (laughs) I told her Ryo-chan had a crush on her! (pulled from Ryosuke’s hand and ran)

Ryosuke: Huh?

Hio: What’s crush?

Ryosuke just looked at Hio before picking him up and carrying him as he ran after Meikko.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

**********************************************************

A/N: O'right! Just wanna say I made up Yukari and Hio lololol I just thought the names are cute. Anyway, thanks for reading this just-popped-up-in-my-head fanfic. I appreciate it a lot. :3 Till next chapter, luvs.

Edit: I just found out Ryosuke's niece in Chihiro is named Meikko. So I changed her name to Meikko.