The Encounter

10 Years After That Day

The unending ringing of his phone made Ryosuke on his sheets and pulled himself to reach the phone on the bedside table.

He yawned when he took the call.

Chinen: Ryosuke!

He was shocked to hear Chinen on the phone.

Ryosuke: Hey, whattup?

He said, scratching his disheveled hair.

Chinen: Tell me you haven’t been doing crazy stuffs in there?

Ryosuke: What’s going on?

Chinen: (sighs) There’s a sighting of you.

Ryosuke: Okay?

Chinen: With a woman!

Ryosuke squeezed his eyes, looking confuse.

Ryosuke: Is that Friday or Josei Seven?

Chinen: Neither. But it’s in twitter. Netizens are talking about it.

Ryosuke: You’re on twitter? Anyway, photos?

Chinen: Why do you sound so calm?! You’re more worried that I have twitter! No! No photos!

Ryosuke: Then, there’s nothing to worry.

Chinen: So, you’re really with a woman!

Ryosuke: Calm down. It’s nothing.

Chinen: Nothing? According to the fan report, you attended a party with this woman! Said, you were together the entire time!

Ryosuke: Chinen! (sighs)

Chinen: Tell me what’s going on? Who’s this lady you are currently into, huh? I mean, okay, there’s nothing wrong with dating, you’re old. But you had this long vacation in exchange of a safe publicity!

Ryosuke: It’s just Mirai, okay.

Chinen: What?!! Sh-Shida Mirai?!

Ryosuke: (sighs) I met Mirai here in Kanagawa.

Chinen: So, now you’re having an affair with a married woman?!

Ryosuke: Chinen!!! Can you just let me talk?! Okay?!

Ryosuke looked irritated and tired.

Ryosuke: (sighs) Two days ago, Mirai’s sister, Miyu, invited me to her pre-wedding party. Since I don’t know anyone in the party, Mirai was just kind enough to accompany me the whole time.

Chinen: Okay, now I understand. 

Ryosuke nodded, in the relieve that finally Chinen got the situation. When suddenly his voice rise again.

Chinen: So how would you explain the allege that you held hands?

Ryosuke bit his lower lip as he squeezed his eyes in frustration.

Ryosuke: We did not hold hands! I just…I was just comforting her.

Chinen: With your hand.

Ryosuke: What should I do?!

Chinen: Talk?

Ryosuke: I didn’t know what to say.

Chinen: (sighs) What’s new? You always don’t know what to say when it comes to Mirai. You just act your feelings out without thinking.

Ryosuke: Don’t make it sound like I am still in love with her.

Chinen: Maybe you are.

There was a long pause. Then it hit Ryosuke, he likes spending time with her baking, he always tries to think of other pastries to bake just like how he’s planning to teach her how to make tarts just so he can come to the coffee shop later, he probably had not enjoyed this vacation as much as he does if he hadn’t met Mirai…and he tried to kiss her the other day.

Ryosuke: Chii, relax. It’s not an official article. The agency doesn’t know yet. Also, Mirai is not having an affair and I am not dating her. You don’t have to be worried about me. And besides, I will be back in 5 more days. I’ll make sure I wouldn’t do anything that will put me—you or even the whole group in a bad light.

Chinen: Well. (sighs) Send my regards to Mirai then.

Ryosuke smiled.

Chinen: And oh…Stop holding her hand in public!

Ryosuke: (grins) I thought nobody saw that.

 

*****

 

Ryosuke pushed the coffee shop’s door, getting in with an exciting bright smile on his face. He had a grocery bag with him containing the ingredients for the tarts he had planned to teach Mirai. He called her before heading towards the kitchen.

Ryosuke: I have bought the things we need for to—

He stopped as his smile vanished by what he was seeing—In the counter was Shida Mirai with a tall guy sitting on the high counter chair. Ryusei Ryo had his eyes on him as well as Mirai who looked worried by the encounter.

Mirai: Uhnn…Yama-chan, can you uh leave us for a while?

Ryosuke nodded and bowed respectfully before grabbing the door. But when he was about to open it, Ryo clicked his tongue.

Ryo: So, Ayuri was right. (grins) Yamada Ryosuke is here.

Ryosuke clenched the knob of the door harder.

Ryo: (chuckles) So is this a just little reunion between childhood friends?...or you have been—

Mirai: Ryo!

Mirai’s voice synchronized with Ryosuke’s glare as he looked at him above his shoulder.

Ryo: What?! (chuckles) I always have a bad feeling about this guy.

Ryo slowly stood up from his chair and Ryosuke turned his body in the direction of the taller guy.

Mirai blocked Ryo’s sight.

Mirai: Yama-chan, just please leave us.

She said while her eyes at her husband. But Ryosuke was still. Glaring at Ryo who was also giving him a bad look.

Mirai: Please!

As Mirai plead, Ryosuke pulled the door open and left the premise with a pissed look in his face.

Mirai sighed the moment Ryosuke left.

Mirai: So why are you here? What do you want?

Ryo: Well, I just came to visit you. (smiles)

Mirai glared at him, unconvinced.

Ryo: (sighs) I want to ask you to attend the company party with me.

Mirai: (frowns) Why? Bring Konno-san with you.

Ryo: You know I can’t.

He sat back at the high chair.

Ryo: If I want to get this promotion, I have to bring the legal wife with me. The board doesn’t know about our ongoing divorce. Moreover, about Ayuri.

Mirai: So you’re just gonna use me to get the promotion.

Ryo: Come on, this is the last time that I’m gonna ask a favor. Afterall, technically you are still my wife. Our divorce will be of final verdict on a week so I don’t see anything bad about bringing you to the party.

Mirai: (sarcastically chuckles) Here you are again with your publicity stunt.

Ryo: Let me do a trade.

Mirai: What do you mean?

Ryo: You come with me in the party or I’ll tell the media about you and that childhood friend of yours.

Mirai was shaking in anger as she realized what is Ryo up to.

Ryo: Hey Say Jump’s Yamada Ryosuke Has an Affair with a Married Retired Actress. Caused the Divorce of the Retired Actress and her Husband? (grins) Wouldn’t that be an amazing headline?

Mirai: How dare you!

Ryo: It may not be true. But people will believe that, would they?

Mirai was trying to calm herself. She knew exactly how powerful Ryusei Ryo is. He can always do this flawlessly with his money.

Ryo: A little thing in exchange for his career and his entire public image. And also yours.

Mirai let out a sarcastic laugh.

Mirai: So this is how dirty you play?

Ryo: I’ll do what it takes to get what I want. I’ve worked hard for it. I deserve to be the next company president, you know that.

Mirai: I can’t believe this is how you’ll turn out to be.

Ryo: I was always like this Mirai.

He smiled when he pulled himself up from the chair.

Ryo: So, I’ll have you fetch tomorrow. I have already reserved a hotel for you. I’ll take care of everything. What you gotta do is use your talent as an actress and try to pretend we are still together during the party.

Mirai just watched the well-dressed tall man walked out from the coffee shop until he vanished in her sight. She sighed as she sat at the closest chair.

Ryo made his way to the parking area just two buildings away from the coffee shop. There he saw Ryosuke standing, leaning on the wall with his hands inside his pocket, glaring back at Ryo.

The taller guy walked pass him with a smirk on his face when he heard Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: I told you. (glares) When I see a little creak, I’m never hesitating to get in.

Ryo let out a brief chuckle.

Ryo: I thought you had given up.

Ryosuke: I did. But now I am back on track.

Ryo: (grins) Don’t worry. I have already won the game 10 years ago. And for 10 years I had enjoyed my prize. I am not participating in this second round.

Ryosuke: So this is what Mirai meant for you? A trophy to be won?

Ryo: Why? Isn’t she a grand prize?

That made Ryosuke clench his fist ready to blow the guy’s face.

Ryo smirked at he saw Ryosuke’s clenched fist.

Ryo: Don’t get this all wrong. I loved her. I still do. But I admit she’s not my priority. Aren’t we the same?

Ryosuke was taken aback.

Ryo: You might have won Mirai if you prioritized her. But you never. (breathes deep with a smug face) So you settled with a woman who was okay to be hidden…who understands your priorities. We’re just the same Yamada.

That just left Ryosuke irate. He was so pissed that the guy was right. He was so pissed to hear the truth from that arrogant piece of trash. He was so pissed of himself for being the coward, unorganized fool as he was.

Ryo: If you still have feelings for her, you should get things straight.

Ryosuke: So that’s what you did? You turned back to Konno Ayuri and made things straight.

Ryo: I was never in love with Ayuri. I just need a woman who puts me first.

Ryosuke: Someone you can manipulate.

Ryo: That’s a lot harsh, but ‘handle’ will be a better adjective.

Ryosuke can’t believe the guy’s true colors. He can’t believe he actually trusted this guy once in his life.

Ryo: I actually don’t like you around Mirai. I never really liked you… but if I am right about you still in love with her, I commend such patience and loyalty.

Ryo suddenly crunches his nose.

Ryo: Nuh. I still don’t like you.

Ryosuke cursed under his breath as the arrogant and rich tall guy made his way inside his latest Lexus car.

 

******

 

Mirai was still thinking about her encounter with Ryo. She didn’t wanna attend the party pretending to be still the Mrs. Ryusei she had been for 10 years.

Suddenly the door dashed open with Yamada Ryosuke throwing curses in the air.

Ryosuke: I really don’t like that guy!

Ryosuke panted with that frown in his handsome face before looking at the confused Mirai from a distant.

Ryosuke: I can’t believe you married that arrogant manipulative blockhead!

Mirai was silently watching Ryosuke being pissed, when he realized he has been saying stuffs he shouldn’t. He quickly glanced at Mirai.

Ryosuke: I’m sorry.

Mirai gave him a glass of water.

Ryosuke: I can’t believe he lectured me!

Mirai: Wait. Did you meet up outside?

Ryosuke just glanced and her making her sigh.

Mirai: What did you talk about?

Ryosuke did not answer and instead took the glass of water to drink.

Mirai: I don’t want you to be involved with this. I appreciate you taking my side but I’m fine.

Ryosuke just stared at her. She let out a big sigh.

Mirai: Uuuhh! This is exactly why I don’t talk to friends about my divorce. (looks at Ryosuke) Did you know that even Umika doesn’t know a thing about this? Because I know she’d be throwing tantrums at Ryo.

Ryosuke: Which he actually deserves.

Mirai: Yeah! But! (sighs) No. He is capable of doing things that can put you in the bad light. You can’t a finger on him.

That made Ryosuke remember his promise to Chinen—to not put any of them in the bad light.

Mirai: I can handle this.

Ryosuke let out a long sigh before looking at Mirai.

Ryosuke: Fine. But if you need backup—

Mirai: (frowns) Yama-chan! (grins) Who do you think am I? I am Shida Mirai! I have turned down 12 men in my life.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Now we get an exact number, huh? Am I one of them?

Mirai: No. I did not turn you down.

Mirai’s grin became a soft smile.

Mirai: You were the one who turned me down.

Ryosuke’s smile vanished. He can feel his heart in his throat as he realized what he had caused.

Mirai felt the awkward atmosphere between them. She turned her back on him and forced a smile when she said…

Mirai: Iced coffee?

Ryosuke did not answer but she proceeded in making his coffee.

Suddenly she felt Ryosuke behind her. Standing close to her that she can feel his breathing on her nape.

She froze there, trying to contemplate what was he trying to do, when he started talking with that icy cold low voice.

Ryosuke: That was the biggest mistake I have ever done in my life.

Mirai turned around in shock and jolted when she realized Ryosuke was really that close. They looked at each other’s eyes for a while before Mirai hit him in the stomach as she forced a laugh and got out from confided between the table and Ryosuke.

Mirai: Can we not bring that up?

 

*****

 

[2018]

It was the night before her wedding, Mirai was excitedly exiting from work. She had a khaki coat on in that cold September night. She arrived in the parking space of her agency to wait for Ryo, but she was surprised to see Yamada Ryosuke standing—waiting for her.

He had a little drink a couple of hours ago and something inside him wanted to see her.

Mirai: (smiles) Yama-chan. What’s going on? Why are you here?

He did not say a word. He just stared at her with those sad eyes.

Ryosuke: People do bad things, but I did the worst.

Mirai was confused.

Ryosuke: If you’re lucky, you get a chance to set it right, but most of the time it goes unpunished.

Mirai: What are you saying, Yama-chan?

Ryosuke: I owe you an apology, Mirai. More so, I owe you an explanation. But it doesn’t matter anymore, yet… hear me out when I say that I still love you. I love you, Mirai.

He looked like crying.

Mirai was stumped. She can just hear her heart beating faster. Not tonight. Not on the night before her wedding.

Mirai: (forces a smile) What are you saying? I—I don’t understand you, Yama-chan. I don’t understand why are you doing this?!

Tears started forming in her eyes.

Ryosuke: I’m so stupid for letting you go! But you were too cruel for not giving me a chance!

Ryosuke started crying.

Mirai: We had one big chance! (tears fell on her cheeks) One big chance and that was it. We screwed up, Yama-chan! Whatever we had…it was nothing.

Mirai turned around as she wiped the tears in her eyes when Ryosuke tried to grab her in arm.

Ryosuke: Mirai, please. 

Mirai slowly removed his hand on hers.

Mirai: Hey, listen. You’re just confused. You’re just drunk. Maybe you’re sad. I know you are not doing well after Keito-kun left for New York. It’s just stress accumulating inside you. You’ll be okay.

Mirai looked at his sad eyes one more time and held his wet cheeks in both hands.

Mirai: Can’t you just be happy for me? Hmm?

At that rate, he just gave up. He leaned on the concrete wall and slowly glided himself down on the ground, sitting there apathetically.

Mirai: I need to go. I’m sorry. Try to call Chinen or Yuto to fetch you here, okay? I really need to go.

Mirai walked fast, avoiding another more conversation with the Ryosuke. She fished her phone inside her bag and wiped her tears.

Mirai: Hello, Ryo. Unnn… Can we meet in the bus stop instead? I uh—I’m heading there already…Yeah, I will be waiting.

 

*****

 

As Ryo was driving, he remembered that encounter he had with Yamada Ryosuke, 10 years ago, the night before he and Mirai’s wedding.

Ryo: That guy…I thought he was just drunk. But he actually meant it.

 

*****

 

[2018]

What they didn’t know, Ryo was already in the parking lot halfway through Mirai and Ryosuke’s conversation. He decided to hide and observe from a distant.

Mirai had head to the bus stop while Ryosuke was miserably lying on that hard ground when suddenly Ryo pulled him up and gave him a hard punch on the face. He rolled on the ground, groaning at the impact.

He grabbed his opponent by the collar and gave him a punch but his tipsy state cannot aim for his face and ended up being pushed back on the ground.

He had a hard time pulling himself up but he is not gonna give up.

Ryo: I don’t know what you talked about but I have two words for you—Give up.

Ryosuke was panting and groaning in pain.

Ryosuke: The moment I find a creak. Even how small is that…(glares at Ryo) I am not gonna hesitate to get my way in.

 

*****

 

Ryosuke followed her sight when she avoided him.

Mirai: It was a long time ago. Can we just forget about it? (chuckles) Besides, we were young and we still don’t understand anything back then.

Mirai can’t help but feel bad seeing the guilt in Ryosuke’s eyes.

Mirai: I know how badly you felt about what happened to us. But I am okay now. The pain was long gone.

She tapped his arm with a smile in her face.

Mirai: And besides, (smiles) we are so much better as friends. Just like this. No feelings. Just friendship. I like it so much better this way.

She tapped his cheek this time before turning back to the coffee she was trying to make.

Ryosuke cannot hide the dismay in his eyes.

Mirai: Just imagine if we really dated when we were 19 or 20. We might have just broken up and might hate each other for life. (laughs)

Ryosuke: Or we could be together until now.

That made Mirai looked back at Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Or… not.

He pouted.

Mirai: Realistically saying, if we happened, we will never last long with the type of career we had.

Ryosuke: Then I’ll prioritize you.

Mirai: But you can’t.

They become silent for a while.

Mirai: I can’t. (smiles) We were young. We were driven by so much in our hands. We’ll lose each other eventually. (sighs) Staying friends with you was the best decision I have ever done. I hope you too.

She elbowed her childhood friend next to her and laughed trying to ease the tension.

Mirai: This is getting weird. (chuckles) Do you still want the iced coffee?

Ryosuke: (smiles and nods) Yeah.

 

*****

 

[2018]

It was the day of Mirai’s wedding. Ryosuke did not show up. So when he appeared on the reception in regular black suit and tie and polished shoes, his friends were so delighted they almost carry him in excitement.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Hey! Hey! You’ll gonna crumple my suit!

Kamiki: Why on earth were you late?! We can’t even reach your phone.

Yuto: We thought you’ll never be coming.

Ryosuke: I overslept. I drank too much last night. Actually, my head is still feeling big and empty right now. I just really forced myself to get up and be here after all your missed calls. (sighs) I had 73 missed calls from 4 different numbers.

Chinen, Umika, Yuto and Kamiki raised their hands. “That’ll be me.”

Saaya who was with Mirai on the other table with the other girls saw Ryosuke with the rest.

Saaya: Ah! (smiles) Mirai-chan. Yamada-kun is here.

Mirai saw him laughing with their friends, she felt a little tightening in her chest but she was happy he is there. And he looked fine. He looked very much okay, like last night never happened.

Saaya pulled the bride to the next table. Mirai was now wearing her second gown. A modernized Victorian coral pink long frilly gown and her hair was down accessorized by a bow on the back.

Chinen: Why would you be out drinking on the night before a special day, anyway?!

Ryosuke: I’m sorry, I met with old friends from elementary. The guys I used to play with in the soccer team. I can’t say no.

Chinen: So you went on getting wasted.

Ryosuke: (shrugs) We had a good time, I did not realize I was getting drunk. And Keito gave me a special pass in that high-end bar before he left for New York as an apology for leaving. They offer the best whiskey. (winks)

Shuhei: Ooohh, you might probably wanna bring us there.

Ryosuke: Yeah of course! I’ll text you.

Shuhei: (points at Ryosuke) You’ll text me. Yeah cool!

Ryosuke was laughing when he noticed Mirai was approaching them as Saaya was holding her hand, leading her.

Kamiki: But wait.

Kamiki examined Ryosuke’s face, getting really closer.

Kamiki: Is that a bruise on the side of your mouth?

Ryosuke immediately covered his mouth for a while.

Mirai looked at him, trying to remember if he had already that bruise when she met him in the parking lot.

Ryosuke: Oh this. I uuh—I don’t recall but…I think I slammed my face on a big whiskey glass.

Shuhei: What?! (laughs)

Ryosuke: (laughs) I was too drunk; I think I slept through the drink. I don’t remember anything actually. I passed out and the next thing I remember was the 73 missed calls.

The first half was a lie of course.

Ryosuke glanced at the groom on the other side of the room, perfectly remembering the solid punch on his face.

But that got everybody laughing. Even Mirai laughed even though she barely remembered he had the bruise. But she was relieved to know Ryosuke did not remember a thing about last night.

She was relieved he was just really drunk and confused. Afterall, she was right. Ryosuke was totally fine. She can see it as he laughed with everyone.

Umika: I still can’t believe you missed the wedding ceremony.

Umika said as she wrapped her arm around Mirai’s.

That made Ryosuke look at Mirai next to her. She was looking back at him with a small smile carved in her lips.

Shuhei: It was the most dramatic part of this whole wedding!

Kamiki: (laughs) Umika and Suzuka were crying.

Umika: Shut up! I saw you teary-eyed too!

Suzuka: She was so beautiful. (smiles)

Ryosuke’s eyes never left hers when a smile broke in his lips. A soft genuine smile. That made Mirai really happy as her smiled wider at him that her eyes thinned.

Ryosuke: Omedatou, Mirai.

Mirai: (nods) Arigatou.

Suddenly, Satoko came running in her heels with excitement as she hugged Mirai and stood next to Ryosuke.

Satoko: Congratulations on your wedding, Mirai-chan. (smiles) Sorry we’re late.

Shuhei: Oh, you can have my seat Satoko-chan.

Chinen: ‘chan’?

Satoko: (laughs) It’s all right. Thank you, Shuhei-kun.

Shuhei smirked at his friends when Satoko used ‘kun’.

Yuto: Quit flirting at someone’s girlfriend, you womanizer!

And a rage of laughter broke from that table again. As Ryosuke laughed it out, he saw Mirai happily laughing along. He did a good job in pretending not to remember anything about last night. He did a good job in accepting that Mirai is better off with the other guy. And he with Satoko.

That was the last time he ever saw Mirai.

Until 10 years after that day.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...