Ryosuke's Day-off

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke slightly groaned as he felt the gentle of the sun in his eyes. When he opened them, he saw Mirai’s face in front of him. He can clearly see her long lashes and her soft fair skin sparkle with the rays of the sun and her plump lips still in the shade of her lipgloss.

Suddenly her eyes moved and finally opened. And her dark round eyes met his brown ones. With tired low voice they greeted each other.

Mirai: Good morning.

Ryosuke: Good morning.

Mirai gently closed her eyes, trying to get used to the sudden light.

Ryosuke: It’s actually my day off today. Would you wanna stay longer?

Mirai: (opens her eyes) Okay.

Ryosuke leaned his chin on to of her head.

Mirai: Yama-chan, will you teach me how to make that blueberry cheesecake we sell in the coffee shop?

Ryosuke: Mhm?

Mirai: Ren-kun really like that but I haven’t told him I am not the one who makes the cheesecake.

Ryosuke briefly laughed.

Mirai: No matter how much I try following your recipe, I couldn’t do it right.

Ryosuke: Okay. After all, you learn best with me.

Mirai: (smiles) Did I say that?

Ryosuke: I just noticed. (grins) I bet you always like it when I am around.

Mirai: Oh, so you decided to wake up a little cocky today?

Ryosuke: (laughs) I was testing if you’ll affirm.

Mirai looked up at him as her smile turned lax.

Mirai: I have been meaning to ask you, have you been playing around in the 10 years you’re single?

Ryosuke became speechless for a moment as he stared at her playful expression.

Ryosuke: Really? You actually think I have been hopping from one woman to another in the past ten years?

Mirai nodded unhesitantly.

Ryosuke took a deep breath.

Ryosuke: Well, I met some. I went on dates. Met random girls in bars—

Mirai: You’re actually telling me that?!

Ryosuke leaned closer to her.

Ryosuke: But none of them really interests me.

They looked at each others’ eyes for a moment.

Ryosuke: Say Mirai, have the thought of me crossed your mind while you’re with him?

It took for a while before she answered.

Mirai: Probably. (smiles) I always remember your birthday.

Ryosuke: Of course you will! (laughs) It’s the day before yours!

Mirai laughed.

Mirai: I remember how fun was it to celebrate our birthdays together. I always thought I wanna do it again with everyone. (smiles)

She breathed deep before she bit her lower lip.

Mirai: It has not been that fun. Ryo always misses my birthday. Sometimes, he’ll just send me presents and a bouquet of flowers while he was busy working. I think he doesn’t really remember it but his secretary does.

Ryosuke suddenly pulled his back up from lying and sat on the couch. He pulled Mirai’s arms gently to get her back up.

Now they were sitted cross-legged on the couch.

Ryosuke: Would you wanna celebrate our birthdays with me? Again? (smile)

Mirai: (laughs) What are you saying? Our birthdays were couple of months over.

Ryosuke smiled before he stared at her.

Ryosuke: Then next year. And the next years to come.

Mirai just stared back at him, almost teary-eyed, when suddenly she buried her face on his shoulder.

Mirai: You are too cheesy sometimes.

Ryosuke laughed and she joined him.

Ryosuke: Really?

Mirai: Really.

Ryosuke: But you’re blushing.

And the laughter continued.

 

*****

 

Ryosuke: I don’t really do no-bake cheesecakes. Coz if you want to make cheesecake the way it’s intended to be, with a filling that is a little fluffy and creamy, rich but not so dense…we don’t like it too densed, but just enough that it sticks on the roof of your mouth, then a baked cheesecake is what we should do.

Mirai glanced at her boyfriend across the table while she was struggling to hear him from the noise of the food processor she was using to crush the biscuits for the crust.

Mirai: Eh?! I can’t hear you?!

She wiped her chin by her left shoulder when she felt a crumb flew in her chin, staining the huge white tshirt Ryosuke lent her while her dress was on the dryer.

Ryosuke: For the cream cheese, we are using the block, not the spreadable cream cheese in tubs. That were too soft. For the blueberries, it needs to be fresh or frozen.

He picked a blueberry in front of him.

Ryosuke: Since we are using frozen ones, we will not thaw them. (puts the blueberries back on the friedge) Otherwise it bleeds when we stir it in and we’ll end up with a purple cheesecake. That’ll not be appetizing.

Mirai: Yama-chan, we are still on the crust!

Ryosuke: Oh! Let me help you press them into the pan.

He got a round flat based and straight walled pan to place the biscuit crumbs.

 

They were waiting for the cheesecake to cool inside the over. Ryosuke said it helped to keep the cheesecake creamy inside. The gradual drop in the temperature creates an environment such that the cheesecake finishes cooking but cannot overcook.

Mirai can only realize how much of a food geek Ryosuke was.

Suddenly his phone rang and he took the call.

Ryosuke: Hi, mom. Did you miss me? (smiles)

Yamada-okaasan: (giggles) Of course I do miss my boy.

Ryosuke laughed making Mirai looked at him with a smile.

Yamada-okaasan: Actually your dad and I are in Tokyo right now.

Ryosuke: Really?

Yamada-okaasan: Yeah. We are here in Chihiro’s house. Misaki is also here.

Ryosuke: That’s really nice. Would you want me to come over too?

Yamada-okaasan: No need, just take your day-off at home today. But maybe you can bring me and your dad on dinner tonight? (smiles)

Ryosuke: (laughs) Of course! Dinner at your favorite restaurant! (glances at Mirai who was busy checking inside the oven) Perfect timing, I want you to meet someone.

Yamada-okaasan: Oh, I love the sound of that. (chuckles)

Ryosuke: I’ll see you tonight. Bye.

When he put down his phone and turned to Mirai.

Mirai: I think it’s cooked.

Ryosuke: My mom called.

Mirai nodded with a smile.

Ryosuke: She and dad are here in Tokyo and I want us to have dinner with them.

Mirai: Us?

Ryosuke nodded.

Mirai stepped backwards.

Mirai: You…You are not planning to—

Ryosuke: I am going to.

Mirai: Eeh?! (awkard laugh) Don’t you think it’s too early? Do you think they’re okay with me?

Ryosuke: (smiles) Just trust me.

She just looked at him trying to find some assurance in his eyes before she nodded.

 

*****

 

Mirai can see the older couple of the table for four they reserved. They were happily chatting and waiting for her and Ryosuke to arrive.

She felt a gently tap on her back and when she looked up, she was greeted by the reassuring smile of Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: That dress looked good on you.

He teased knowing exactly it was the same dress last night during Saaya's barbeque picnic. A purple, short-sleeved dress that falls just few inches above her knees. The one which was perfectly washed and dried while she’s wearing his shirt.

Mirai: Stop making fun of me, it’s your fault I wasn’t able to go home.

Ryosuke: C’mon. (smiles)

 

They were approaching the table when they can vividly see the smile and excitement in the couple’s face.

Yamada-okaasan: Mirai-chan!

Mirai bowed at them.

Mirai: Gonbanwa, oba-san, oji-san.

She smiled genuinely behind the tensed feeling she felt inside.

Yamada-otosan: Ah! So, Mirai-chan is here. It’s such a pleasant night to see you.

Mirai: Thank you. You too.

Ryosuke assisted her as she sitted before Ryosuke took his own seat next to her and across his dad.

The older lady smirked, looking at her husband while he just nodded and smiled at his wife.

Ryosuke: (smiles) So, what do you guys wanna eat?

He was waiting for an answer but he can see his mother clasped her fingers together, placing her hands under her chin, eying both Mirai and Ryosuke with a teasing smile.

Mirai can just slid her eyes on Ryosuke, nervously.

Yamada-okaasan: So you guys finally started dating.

It was not a question at all.

Ryosuke was surprised but he comfortably nodded.

Ryosuke: Ah, Mhm.

Yamada-okaasan: Then what are you doing?! Introduce Mirai-chan properly to your parents!

Ryosuke flinched with the sudden raise of his mother’s voice.

Ryosuke: (sighs) Hai, hai. (gulps) Ah, mom…dad…(smiles) Please meet my girlfriend, Shida Mirai.

Mirai smiled and bowed.

The older lady covered with squinted eyes and a big smile.

Yamada-okaasan: I always know it’ll come to this. (turns to her husband) Ne, papa?

Yamada-otosan: (nods) Omedatou! To the both of you. (smiles)

Yamada-okaasan: I am so relieved! (sighs) You don’t know how happy you make me tonight. Omedatou! (smiles)

Mirai: (bows) Thank you so much.

Ryosuke also bowed and thanked his parents.

Yamada-okaasan: So when are you going to talk about your wedding?!

Ryosuke: M-mom!

Yamada-okaasan: (laughs) I am just kidding!...But seriously when?

Mirai laughed.

Yamada-otosan: Mama, maybe we should leave that discussion to the both of them.

Ryosuke: (whispers to Mirai) Now you know who did I get my humor.

Mirai just silently laughed.

Ryosuke: (whispers to Mirai) But I don’t mind if we talk about that too.

Mirai just continued laughing.

 

*****

 

It was a memorable dinner. Mirai was relieved how welcoming Ryosuke’s parents were. She was happy they accepted her and entrusted their only son to her.

Ryosuke: Are you sure you’re good here?

Ryosuke said the moment they stopped in front of Mirai’s apartment building.

Mirai: (nods) I’m good here. I know some of your fans camp outside your home, so I will take extra caution about that. (grins teasingly)

Ryosuke: Camping outside my home is exaggerated but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. (chuckles)

Mirai: Yeah, you can brag the amount of girls swooning for you.

She rolled her eyes and grinned as she went out of the car.

Ryosuke: (laughs) I love you!

He teasingly exclaimed.

Mirai smiled and waved at him.

When his car left, Mirai took a deep breath and a smile carved in her lips until she was a familiar guy on the lounge of the building. He was fighting with the reception personnel and looked a little drunk.

Mirai immediately pulled the reception personnel.

Mirai: Ryo, what are you doing here?

Her ex-husband just looked at her.

Mirai: (bows at the receptionist) I’m sorry. I’ll take care of this from here.

She pulled Ryo by the wrist out of the building. She dragged him further outside.

Mirai: Why are you here?

Ryo, who was obviously a little drunk looked at her and scoffed with a grin on his face.

Ryo: You look beautiful.

Mirai: You need to go. You’re drunk.

Ryo: Tell me you still love me.

Mirai: What are you saying, Ryo?! Just go, please.

She was about to leave the guy when…

Ryo: Please come back! I need you, Mirai! Please just come back home? We can start all over again. I will marry you again. Please just come back to me.

Mirai: W-What?! (sighs and gulps) I don’t know what’s running in your head right now, but please just go. I’ll call Konno-san.

Ryo: She can’t help me! (grabs Mirai’s hand) Mirai, you’re all I need right now.

Mirai pulled her hand from her ex-husband. She was stepping backwards as he gets closer.

Ryo: They all turned away from me!!!

Mirai was surprised by his sudden outburst.

Ryo: The board found out we divorced because I cheated. It has been circulating in the company and it gave me bad impression. (pants) They said, how can they entrust the whole company, to take care of it, protect it when I can’t do so with my own wife.

He stared at Mirai.

Ryo: Mirai I was wrong. I can’t be the man I want to be without you.

He grabbed her by the shoulder.

Ryo: Please, I’ll do everything just to make you come back. I’ll change! I’ll break up with Ayuri. We can have kids! You always want to have children, right?! Let’s start over.

Mirai: R-Ryo, g-get off! You’re hurting me!

He squeezed her, tightening the grip in her shoulder.

Ryo: I need you to win the hearts of the board once again, Mirai!

Mirai: I am not a thing, Ryo! (tears finally broke in her eyes) I am not a tool that you can use for your own selfish desires! You never cared for me. All you ever think was yourself and your stupid ambition! I don’t wanna be with you anymore! Please….

Ryo’s grip started losing as he looked at her eyes. His eyes suddenly turned big as he felt Mirai slipping off from him and a built of a man pulled her away and into his arms.

Yamada Ryosuke’s murderous face was glaring back at him.

Mirai: Yama-chan.

Ryo, from a total shocked reaction, scoffed seeing the guy.

Ryo: Aaaahh~ Of course it’s you! (laughs) So, it’s not just about the coffee shop now huh? (raised a brow at Ryosuke) Finally you made your way in! But I am going to pull you out again.

Ryo moved closer and when he was about to grab Mirai by the wrist again, what he met was Ryosuke’s fist in his face. Upon being drunk and tipsy, the single strong punch was enough to knock him down off the ground.

The guy grumbled, nose bleeding and eyes shut in pain.

Ryosuke: I’ll never let anything pull me out again…especially not you!

Mirai held Ryosuke’s hand, pulling her inside the building. Leaving the pained man on the dirty ground.

 

*****

 

Mirai put down her telephone before climbing up the couch next to Ryosuke.

Mirai: I already called his driver. He’ll gonna get him soon.

Ryosuke nodded, eyes on the TV.

Mirai pulled her legs on the couch, hugging both legs and her chin on her left arm, looking at Ryosuke. She can tell he was still pissed.

Mirai: Are you okay?

He turned to his right side to look at her.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Yeah. Are you?

Mirai nodded but he lifted the left sleeve of her dress to be sure.

Ryosuke: The other one?

She turned and he lifted the right sleeve. There was sigh of relief when he did not see any bruising.

Ryosuke: Tell me if bruised tomorrow, I’ll bleed his nose one more time.

Mirai moved closer to him and placed her chin on his left arm.

Mirai: I am sorry you have to deal with my issues. Sorry you got involved.

He turned his head a little to the right that his face was just a few inches from her.

Ryosuke: I am involved now. So don’t be sorry. Whatever issues you’ll have, it’s going to be my business too. I’ll always choose to be involved.

He looked back at the TV, straightened his face when he felt a kiss on his left cheek.

Mirai: Thank you.

He turned his head back to her, leaning closer to her until he met her lips, pushing her down on the couch. Giving her brief tiny kisses in the area under her ear.

Mirai: Ah! Yama-chan!

Ryosuke was now on top of her as she pushed him lightly by the shoulder.

Ryosuke: (looks down at her) Are… your parents…strict?

A playful smile grew in his face.

She can't help but laugh below him. He laughed along with her before he drifted back to her.

Mirai: Aaah!!! Wait a minute, Yama-chan!

 

Ryosuke definitely enjoyed that day-off afterall.

*****

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED...