Reminiscence

10 Years After That Day

Ryosuke jogged in the morning that day. He decided not to bring Kenta because the dog actually never liked running. When he was in Tokyo, he always brings his dogs with him on the run to divert the attention of people to his dogs rather than him. It was a really great strategy to not attract anyone’s attention.

But in his hometown, there is not a single thing to be worried about. Even his neighbors recognize him but they treat him like that same boy who grew up in the neighborhood.

He passed by the convenient store and decided to get something to drink. When he was on the coolers, choosing a good drink, he heard a voice behind him.

Woman: That’s Yamada Ryosuke, right? Nee-chan, look!

Ryosuke decided to look behind and when he thought he’s caught up by some fans, there was Miyu and Mirai on the vegetable stalls.

Miyu and Mirai bowed at him and he did too.

 

Miyu decided to bring the shopping bags the moment they were out of the convenient store, and left her sister with Ryosuke walking along the street home. Nobody was talking until Ryosuke decided to break the silence.

Ryosuke: The last time I saw Miyu-chan was in high school. (chuckles) I almost did not recognize her at all.

Mirai: Yeah. Up until now I can’t even believe she’s already engage.

Ryosuke: Oh! Really? I wasn’t able to congratulate her.

Mirai smiles. Ryosuke briefly looks at Mirai.

Ryosuke: You liking it here?

Mirai slowly looked up at him and a small smile drew in her lips as she nods.

Mirai: This place is field with good memories.

Ryosuke: It is. (smiles and sighs) Chinen was weirded out I choose to visit home instead of travelling outside of the country to relax. This is exactly the reason why.

As he said that, he unconsciously stared at Mirai, making the lady looked back at him, confused.

Ryosuke: These! (he spreads his arm) These old streets, the clear sound of the birds chirping, the gentle streaks of the morning sun, the solidarity. It’s…home.

There was a sudden chuckle from Mirai.

Mirai: So that’s what ojii-san-ism is, huh?

Ryosuke: Hey! I was just expressing what I feel.

For a while he was just staring at her laughing and he just laughed with her. He can still feel she isn’t completely fine but having to be able to laugh genuinely this time, he was reminded how tough of a person Mirai is.

 

****

 

The moment Mirai got home, she was greeted by the teasing look on Miyu’s face.

Miyu: What did you talk about? He is single, right?

Mirai just ignored his sister and sat on the couch, and use her phone.

Miyu: Did you get his number?!

Mirai: No. I am too old for this so stop it Miyu.

Shida-okaasan: Who are you girls talking about?

Miyu: Ma! (excitedly) We met Yamada Ryosuke on the convenient store. He had a little chat with oneechan on the way home.

Shida-okaasan nodded.

Miyu: Ma! This is destiny! You should believe me. I always know the end on oneechan’s red strings are in him!

Mirai was just shaking her head.

Miyu: You can’t let it slip this time, nee-chan!

 

Mirai froze for a while before sighing. She stood from the couch.

Mirai: I’m taking a shower.

Miyu: (pouts) She’s not even interested.

Shida-okaasan: Stop pestering your sister, Miyu. She’s still trying to move on from her failing marriage. This is not the right time for that.

Miyu: (sighs) Fine. But what I’m saying is, I used to really like Yamada-kun and onee-chan since they were in high school. They have this really great presence together. Well, Kamiki was okay too but onee-chan has been friendzoning him too much.

Shida-okaasa: Why don’t we instead talk about your engagement.

MIyu: Oohhh~! I am happy you initiated mom. I am planning on getting these roses from Amsterdam to be—

Shida-okaasan: Amsterdam?

 

****

 

 

Ryosuke found Mirai in front of the coffee shop. It was a couple of days since their last encounter. Her hair is down and her bangs are secured by bobby pins on the side. She had her glasses on, and she’s wearing a blue one-piece that falls below her knees. She even brought along with her her journal and an old book she finally decided to read. But there was a sign outside the coffee shop saying it’s closed.

On the other hand, Ryosuke was just walking Kenta. He was wearing his usual white huge hoodie and black jogging pants.

He observed Mirai for a while. He was a bit worried about her since learning about her divorce.

Ryosuke: (stands next to Mirai) What’s wrong?

Mirai: I was here yesterday. Their French Vanilla was really good. I had two.

Ryosuke: Eh? (he looks at Mirai, confused)

Mirai: It seems like they closed.

Ryosuke: (nods) There’s another coffee shop somewhere next the train station.

Mirai: It is a shut down.

Ryosuke looked briefly at his childhood friend who kept her eyes on the door of the coffee shop. He sighed and walked closer to the door and notice a flier.

Ryosuke: It’s for sale.

Mirai: Eh? (walks closer to Ryosuke)

Ryosuke: It’s written here. They’re selling it. There’s even a contact number for those—(notices Mirai pulled out her phone) –interested…to buy.

Mirai: (on the phone) Hello. Yes, unn… hi.

 

****

 

The next time Ryosuke realize, he was now walking with Mirai. He suddenly stopped walking.

 

Ryosuke: Did you just buy that coffee shop?

Mirai looked back at him and nodded.

Ryosuke: Talking about impulsive buying. For the record, it’s a coffee shop. And my sisters teased me for impulsively buying a bed and cleaning equipment when I guested in a variety show.

Suddenly Mirai chuckled turning on him. That was a total breather for him.

Mirai: It’s not like that at all. (smiles) Hmmm…how do I say it. Well, when I retired from the industry, there’s one skill I learn.

Ryosuke looked a little confused for a moment.

Mirai: Making coffee! (grins) You see, Ryo-kun... (she got silent for a while) My-my husband…soon-to-be ex-husband… (awkward laugh) loves coffee, so I tried to perfect his coffee until I develop it as a hobby. I even went to a coffee-making class cuz I really enjoyed it a lot. (laughs)

The guy next to her can just smile.

Ryosuke: I thought you’ll never love something more than acting.

At that moment, Ryosuke knew he said something wrong when Mirai was taken aback.

Mirai: It was a diversion.

She forced a smile as she briefly looking at Ryosuke.

Mirai: But it’s fine now. It was just the adjusting period—Aaaaaaahhhhh!

Suddenly Mirai shrieked in surprise when she felt something went in her skirt and her calf.

Ryosuke: Kenta! (looks at Mirai) I’m sorry, this is my mom’s dog. I totally did not train him or anything. (gets defensive)

Ryosuke immediately pulled Kenta’s leash and embarrassingly apologized to Mirai. But she just laughed louder realizing all this time Kenta was walking with them. She crouched down on the level of the dog.

Mirai: Sorry I didn’t notice you. (pats Kenta)

Ryosuke: He’s quite an attention seeker.

Mirai: I see that.

Ryosuke looked at Mirai petting Kenta and realize she’s looking a lot brighter than the first time they met. After all, she’s always tough even she’s in the middle of a difficult time in her life.

Ryosuke: So what’s your plan?

Mirai: (looked up at him) Eh?

Ryosuke: About your coffee shop.

Mirai: Ah, right. (stood up) I guess I have to run it since I am already buying the coffee shop. It doesn’t have to be popular. I’ll try selling my coffee. And probably cakes too. It goes well with together.

Ryosuke nodded and agreed when Mirai let out a little scream. They look at each other for a moment and Ryosuke immediately got it.

Ryosuke: You can’t bake until now?

Mirai: It’s not my forte at all.

Ryosuke: Right. I remember how many times you failed baking class in high school. You even needed to switch yours from the extra cake I made to pass the class. That was the first time you cheated.

Mirai: You didn’t have to make me feel bad about it. I have already moved on from that guilt. I wasn’t able to sleep well for an entire week thinking about it.

Ryosuke suddenly burst out in laughter.

Ryosuke: You’re kidding right? (laughs)

Mirai: I’m not kidding. I felt too bad getting better grade than Chinen at that time. (laughs)

They never realized that they were laughing like the old days when they were still kids and never cared about the world. They met on set of Tantei Gakuen Q when they were ten and since then they were two-thirds of the famous TGQ trio with Kamiki to complete it.

 

All of a sudden, two high school girls approached them.

School Girl 1: Excuse me.

At this point, both laughs are slow subsiding and the fear of getting recognized crept through Ryosuke. They exchange looks before Mirai answered.

Mirai: Is there something we can do for you?

The first girl pulled the other girl.

School Girl 2: Can we take your photo?

At the back of Ryosuke’s mind, he knows his peaceful break is over. The next day, he will be on the front page and getting beat up by the netizens.

School Girl 1: You see, we are looking at both of you for a while now and we think you are a really lovely couple.

Mirai and Ryosuke looked at each other, confused. The girl pulled out her camera.

School Girl 1: It is for our school project. We are to take photos of real couples of different ages for our Sociology class.

Ryosuke: (laughs in relief) Oooh~ So that’s what it’s all about.

Mirai nodded and turn to Ryosuke’s direction, and their eyes met. Ryosuke just raised his eyebrows.

Mirai: But, you see, we are—

Ryosuke: Sure.

School Girl 2: Really? (smiles)

Mirai can only glare at Ryosuke while forcing a smile.

Ryosuke: Yeah but I’ll keep my hoodie on, okay? Cuz actually I haven’t shower for a while now. (whispers) You know ojiisan thing.

The girls laugh and Mirai can only forcefully went with it.

Mirai: His hair stinks so bad that I have to change the pillow case every day.

Ryosuke: Eh?

The girls laugh harder and the other one take out his camera.

Mirai was proud for a while to stain Ryosuke’s image for a moment. Ryosuke signals at Mirai to look at the camera while Kenta placed himself between the couple.

School Girl 2: Can you move closer to each other, please?

School Girl 1: Onee-chan, please hold onii-chan in the arm.

Mirai did what is told with a forceful smile.

School Girl 1: Hai! We got it. (bows)

School Girl 2: Thank you so much. (bows)

Mirai and Ryosuke bows and the two girls waved and ran.

 

Mirai: What were you thinking?

Ryosuke: (smiles) High school, eh? I remember doing this same project with Yuto and instead of getting photos of people, we were the ones taken photos.

Mirai: Do you think those girls did not recognize you at all?

Ryosuke: Nah. I bet they only know my kouhais. Old men don’t get attention from high school girls anymore.

Mirai: (briefly laughs) Anyway, I am meeting up with my lawyer so I gotta go now.

Ryosukes: (nods) I’ll see you sometime around.

Mirai smiled, bowed and start walking away.

 

Suddenly Ryosuke’s phone rang, it was Chinen on facetime.

Ryosuke: Chii!

Chinen: Is this that ring you’re talking about? (lifted a dainty diamond ring)

Ryosuke intently look at the ring and slowly stared at the retreating figure of Mirai not so far away.

Chinen: Oi! Ryosuke! Ryosuke!

Ryosuke: (realizes Chinen has been calling him) Yeah. Yeah…I mean yeah that’s it.

Chinen: So, what do you want me to do with it?

Ryosuke: Just put it back in.

Chinen: What? You made me drove all the way here just to check for this ring?

Ryosuke: Sorry I was just worried if I was able to keep it.

Chinen: What is this anyway? I mean I know you like really flashy and feminine rings but this sure is too small for your fingers.

Ryosuke: You can bring with you my gaming console and you may leave my house.

Chinen: Really? The new one, right?

Ryosuke: No! I meant the one you have been asking—

Unfortunately, Chinen had already turn off the facetime.

Ryosuke: Oi Chii! (sighs)

 

****

 

Ryosuke removed Kenta’s leash when they got in the house and the dog run towards the kitchen and a shriek can be heard which made Ryosuke run to the kitchen. Ryosuke sighed as he saw Kenta under her mother’s skirt.

 

Yamada-okaasan: Kenta is starving. Where have you been?

Ryosuke: What stuff are you teaching this dog, anyway?

Ryosuke went to get a glass of water from the fridge.

Ryosuke: He did the same to Mirai a while ago.

Yamada-okaasan: Who Mirai? Shida Mirai-chan?

Ryosuke took a gulp of the water and nodded.

Yamada-okaasan: You met Mirai-chan? She’s home in Kanagawa?

Ryosuke just nodded one more time.

Yamada-okaasan: Ooohh~ How is she?

The lad was contemplating for a moment before answering.

Ryosuke: Good.

Yamada-okaasan: You used to really be close as kids. She’s the only girl friend you had back then. (laughs) You were too shy with girls. I guess that’s the reason why you barely date.

Ryosuke: That’s not it at all!

Yamada-okaasan: Speaking of which, Chihiro called and I asked her to set you up with some of her friends.

Ryosuke: (sighs) Mom, you know I don’t do blind dates.

Yamada-okaasan: Blind dates aren’t bad at all. Plus, most of Chihiro’s friends are models. You like models, ne? (places dog food on Kenta’s bowl)

Ryosuke: Where did you get that assumption?

Yamada-okaasan: Well, the first and last woman you dated was a model. (smiles at Ryosuke) Satoko-chan is really adorable but she barely visits.

Ryosuke: Don’t make it as a qualification. (sighs)

Yamada-okaasan: Come on Ryosuke, just give it a little push. Do the blind date. (pouts)

Ryosuke: (sighs) Okay. I’ll do it.

Yamada-okaasan: (smiles) We’ll be setting you up with at least five blind dates once your back in Tokyo.

Ryosuke: Five!?

Yamada-okaasan: You already said yes. And aren’t you a little too old to refuse the chance of getting a girlfriend? Ninomiya Kazunari-kun was married at 35 and had his first born at 37. You are already 37 and single, Ryosuke.

Ryosuke was only scratch his head.

Yamada-okaasan: But you know, I always thought you would end up with an actress, like maybe Tsuchiya Tao-chan or Hamabe Minami-chan.

Ryosuke: What are you saying? Tsuchiya-san has been dating Yamazaki Kento. And Hamabe Minami-chan is too young for me.

Yamada-okaasan: But I always had high hopes for Mirai-chan since you seemed to really like her back then. Even your sisters are convinced you were in love with her.

Ryosuke can only sigh at his mother’s hopeful thoughts.

Yamada-okaasan: Did you not really date Mirai-chan back in high school though? (leans closer to Ryosuke)

Ryosuke: Aren’t you one of those people to constantly remind me about the dating ban of my agency?

The lady pouted and sat on one chair.

Yamada-okaasan: You could at least break the rule secretly, ne?

Ryosuke: Unfortunately, I didn’t.

Yamada-okaasan: You could have at least regret not dating her when she got married eh?

Ryosuke froze in his seat.

Yamada-okaasan: What was I thinking, you were with Satoko-chan that time. (shrugs)

 

Ryosuke just sat there, looking down at the empty glass on the counter. At that time some memories flashed in his mind.

****

Ryosuke laid on his bed that night and realized how much he screwed things in his younger years. He remembered the diamond ring. The first ever ring he gave to a girl.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED...