Still Your Yama-chan

10 Years After That Day

[2014]

When Ryosuke got back to the restaurant, Kamiki was looking at him as he walked to their table as if Ryosuke is expecting an interrogation.

Kamiki: Where were you guys been?

Ryosuke: Uhh—(stammers) Mirai—she uhh—she left for work. I sent her to the bus station.

Kamiki: Really?

Ryosuke nodded.

Kamiki: No, really. What is happening between you too? I am not stupid enough to notice the whole time that you two were not okay.

Ryosuke sighed as he looked at Kamiki. That was he thought, he needed to tell him what is happening.

After minutes of listening, finally Kamiki broke his silence.

Kamiki: Have you really gone nuts! You gave her a ring and then broke your promise to her!

Ryosuke: I thought what we had was hopeless.

Kamiki looked confused and mad at the same.

Ryosuke: She’s too good for me, you know. She doesn’t know but she’s like the best that I don’t deserve. We weren’t able to talk for two years and I thought maybe…just maybe, maybe she’s not sure about me anymore.

Kamiki: Are you hearing yourself right now?! Base on your stories, she loves you—so much! I can see that too!

Ryosuke: (sighs) I know. I know messed up. When I saw the ring during your party, I know big time I messed up!

Kamiki: Now, thinking that what you and Mirai had was a hopeless case was enough. But getting a girlfriend? Shoving it to her face?!

Ryosuke: I never intended to. Satoko-chan just happened. She understood my work so well having a brother on the same agency and she is okay with our situation. And Mirai…Mirai may deserve someone not me. That’s what I thought.

Kamiki: Hon, no! No! I love you, man. But I won’t console you for this.

Ryosuke sighed.

Kamiki: So, do you still have feelings for Mirai?

Ryosuke just look at him.

 

*****

 

 

Ryosuke sighed deep. His tea is getting cold but he has taken even a sip of it. He has not seen Mirai for three days now eversince that day. She returned to Tokyo the day after that to settle important matters. At least that's what Miyu told him.

He did not even notice when his mom sat next to him in the counter table.

Yamada-okaasan: You don’t like the tea?

Ryosuke: (gasps) Mom!

Yamada-okaasan: Are you bored?

Ryosuke: I missed being bored. (smiles) With all the tight work schedule, I sure enjoy this little moments of boredom. (laughs)

Yamada-okaasan: You barely talk to me about anything but I know when there is something that bothers you.

Ryosuke smiled at his mother softly.

Ryosuke: I just realized how I messed things up in my younger years. There are so many what if’s in my head right now.

Yamada-okaasan: (holds Ryosuke’s hand) There are things we regretted we had done and we have not done but…(smiles) Getting to experience those things left us with memories, whether good or bad, that made us who we are. Bad memories may be a result of a supposedly good decision. Good memories could be a part of a supposedly bad decision.

Ryosuke just stared at her mother.

Yamada-okaasan: No matter what, nothing is wrong with messing up things. Fixing them has no definite time. If you still can, you will.

Ryosuke: (smiles) You sure is my mom.

Yamada-okaasan tapped Ryosuke shoulder.

Yamada-okaasan: I am watching an old movie of yours.

Ryosuke: Why would you tell me that? Now I am worried again!

 

*****

 

Meanwhile in Tokyo, Mirai just arrive in this restaurant her lawyer told her to meet. After her encounter with Konno Ayuri, all she ever wanted was to make her divorce final.

The moment she got in the restaurant, she immediately got ushered my one of the waitresses and led her to a reserved table for four. When she sat down, she heard someone called her name from the next table.

When she turned her head she saw Miyata Satoko and her wide smile.

Satoko: Long time no see, Mirai-chan!

 

 

[2014]

A couple of months after her encounter  with Ryosuke, Mirai can only distract herself with work. She will release her new movies for 2015 and shooting had already started. She was currently busy with Nobunaga no Chef 2 and ST as well so her schedule was packed enough not to think of her personal heartaches.

And now, she was having a photoshoot with a popular magazine for July issue. They had her hair curled. And the blue dress complemented her fair skin.

In the middle of the shoot, other models get in the studio for their makeup. She immediately noticed a tall woman with short brown hair entered with a bunch of other pretty models.

Miyata Satoko recognized her when their eyes met.

The moment Mirai’s shoot ends, she immediately grabbed her bag and had not even undo her hair and removed her makeup. Her manager thought she’s had private plans so she packed her things too.

All of a sudden, Mirai bumped into someone from the exit.

Mirai: I’m sorry.

It was then she realized it was Satoko.

Satoko: (smiles) Shida Mirai-chan, right? I’m Miyata Satoko. We have common friends.

Mirai: I heard. (forced smiles nervously)

Satoko: Do you wanna join me on a coffee break?

 

Mirai did not know how to refuse her so she can only found herself on the agency building’s café.

Satoko: Come I’ll recommend you some good menu.

She grabbed Mirai’s hand and lead her inside. Mirai can only watch her hand hold hers. It was awkward for her to held hands with someone’s girlfriend who she just met for the first time.

But Satoko was very lovable, she made Mirai comfortable. She has a healing smile. The moment they sat down to eat their food, Satoko immediately chatted with her.

Satoko: So you’re not wearing it.

Mirai: Huh?

Satoko: That diamond ring I found. Ryosuke-kun told me he had returned it to you during your lunch with Kamiki-kun.

Mirai: Uh—(laughs) I don’t wear it at all.

Satoko: Oh really? I thought it’s from someone special. Diamond rings are usually from someone special, if you know what I mean.

Satoko said completely clueless.

Mirai froze for a while before Satoko giggled.

Satoko: Guys just don’t know diamond rings are too much for us women.

Mirai just nodded.

Satoko: (chuckles) So Chinen-kun is right.

Mirai: Eh?

Satoko: You don’t talk too much in first meetings. (laughs) Before you asked, yes he sometimes talk about you. Yuto-kun too. Your name always comes out in their fun stories.

Mirai: Those guys. I bet they have talked of the embarrassing things that happened in high school.

Satoko: (laughs) Yeah! But I thought you were adorable to keep up with those boys. They were just nosy at times.

Mirai: Most of the times actually. (smiles)

Satoko and Mirai continued a better conversation.

That was just when Mirai realized why would Yamada Ryosuke fall for her.

 

*****

 

Satoko joined Mirai in her table.

Mirai: (smiles) How are you? It has been a long time.

Satoko: I am good. Have not seen you for…(smiles) after your wedding I have not seen you again.

Mirai: Yeah…that was 10 years ago.

Mirai noticed a ring in her fourth finger. Satoko realized Mirai was staring at it so she lifted her hand excitedly.

Satoko: 5 years ago. (smiles) I got married to one of the producers in my modelling agency.

Mirai: So, you and Yama—

Satoko: (giggles) We broke up shortly after your wedding. After four years of on-and-off relationship, we official broke up.

Mirai: I had no clue at all. I thought you’re still—

Satoko: Don’t get me wrong, he was a really nice guy. But he has priorities. I was not the one who’s meant for him.

Mirai just let out a soft smile when suddenly Satoko’s smile faded as she realized Mirai was not wearing her wedding ring.

They looked at each other for a while before Satoko held her hand.

Satoko: Sometimes, we would land on random people—even marries him before we actually find the one who was meant for us.

They smiled at each other.

Suddenly a small voice called from behind. It was a boy and he was calling Satoko “mama”. A guy was also following the little boy.

Satoko smiled happily as she held the little boy’s hand. She later introduced her son and husband and shortly after, they left the restaurant.

 

*****

 

It was a sunny morning, Ryosuke woke up early for a walk. This time, Kenta was energetic enough to come along with him.

After a few rounds in the park, he decided to grab a drink from the vending machine in the corner of the neighborhood. He chugged the whole can of grape juice when he noticed a figure getting closer.

Kenta barked and waggle his tail before running towards the person.

Ryosuke: (smiles) You’re back.

Mirai rubbed Kenta’s face with both hands before standing up and turning to Ryosuke.

Mirai: Yeah. (smiles)

Ryosuke: I thought you’d stay there a little longer.

Mirai: I suddenly miss—

She got distracted when she looked up at him and realized he was staring at her.

Mirai: I miss it here. (smiles)

Ryosuke: (grins) Of course you do.

Mirai: (clears ) Anyway, I met Satoko-san.

Ryosuke: Really? How is she?

Mirai: Do you know that she’s married tho?

Ryosuke: Yeah, I heard.

Mirai: She has a toddler!

Ryosuke: (chuckles) She has!

Mirai: You know?

Ryosuke: I heard. (grins)

Mirai: And I thought you are still together.

Ryosuke: (turns to Mirai’s direction) Really? All along you thought we are still dating?

Mirai: Why not? (shrugs)

Ryosuke: (laughs) I am set for 5 blind dates soon after this long vacation.

Mirai: (laughs) You’re kidding me!

Ryosuke: My mom… she’s desperate.

Mirai: I must agree with your mom. You need it. (teases)

And they both burst out into laughter.

Ryosuke: So how’s things going on?

Mirai: I—uh…I should have met him with our lawyers but he never came. Although, a grace period of 2 weeks was decided. By then, the divorce will be final.

Ryosuke: That’s great. So, are you feeling better now?

Mirai: (nods) Yeah. At least I am getting an assurance. I want my last name back. I’ve actually never really like the sound of Ryusei Mirai [translates to Future Shooting Star] (laughs)

Ryosuke: (laughs) Now that you mentioned it, it actually sounds cool. Like…(shrugs) It could be an anime title.

Mirai: You gotta be kidding me!

Ryosuke: And it’ll be about a protagonist who aspires to be a shooting star. And she has a lot of friends.

They both laughed.

Ryosuke: So after that, you’ll also be down for 5 blind dates, huh? You need it.

Mirai laughed as she realized he imitated her.

Mirai: Nooo! (laughs subsides) I’m just gonna enjoy my life this way. (breathes the cold air)

Ryosuke was just staring at her with a soft smile on his lips. He was just happy that she’s smiling and feeling a lot better.

All this time, he always thought he doesn’t deserve the friendship she is giving him. After all the pain he caused her? How did they keep being friends all along?

 

*****

[2015]

Ohgo Suzuka and Kamiki Ryunosuke decided to bring their friends together on that new year’s eve on 2015.

They rented a villa in Hokkaido, near the beach.

Everyone expected was already there except for Mirai who already told Umika she was less likely to come due to work schedule problem. Umika, of course, did not buy that. Ryosuke would really come so her best friend might be just trying to avoid him.

After meeting Miyata Satoko on a photoshoot site, Mirai did not shut up about how the lady was nice and pretty and all the reasons why Ryosuke would fall for her.

Mirai felt insecure but there was smile in her face as she talked to Umika about her.

Umika sighed as she thought of her best friend.

Suzuka: Mirai-chan!

Umika: Oh Mirai couldn’t come, she’s busy at work. New drama. She’s gonna be a nurse in it with Horikita Maki-chan.

Suzuka: No, I mean Mirai-chan’s here! (taps Umika)

Umika: She’s what?!

Everybody looked at the main entrance and Mirai was standing there with a big smile in her face.

Mirai: Unn…Surprise?!

Umika immediately noticed the tensed reaction of Ryosuke.

Everybody gathered around Mirai, except for Ryosuke, and Kamiki and Umika who were both busy to observe Ryosuke’s reaction. Suddenly a small smile arched in Ryosuke’s lips before he awkwardly looked down at his shoes.

Umika: (turns to Mirai) I thought you are not coming!

Mirai: Turns out the filming got postponed for some holiday reasons so I am here! (smiles)

She noticed Ryosuke in the background but her smile was consistent.

Kamiki: Look who’s catching up the fun!

Mirai: Me! (laughs) So what are you guys doing?

Kamiki: We are about to play something cliché but still interesting.

Mirai: Spin the bottle?

She said as she put her bag on the couch.

Chinen: Now, that’s TOO cliché! We’re talking about Truth or Shot! (excitedly pulls a bottle of hard liquor)

Mirai: How could that be cliché if I haven’t heard of that?

Yuto: Well, apparently cuz we are new legals!

Shuhei: I can’t believe we are a bunch of 20 year olds!

Suzuka: So, how is this game supposed to be played?

Chinen: Easy. We will form a circle, take turns in answering daring truths and if you refuse to tell the truth, then take a shot of this very wild…hot…liquor in my hand!

Mirai: I’m out. (picks up bag) Where’s my room?

Everyone: Nooooooooooooo!

Shuhei: (pulls Mirai) Don’t be such a kill joy, Mirai-chan.

Mirai: I just arrived. I have a jetlag and you wanted me drunk?

Shuhei: Then just tell the truth! Simple solution to the problem.

Then Umika realized what will Mirai get into if she joins the game.

Umika: Maybe…Mirai actually need a little nap.

Shuhei: No, she doesn’t need a nap. (takes Mirai’s bag from her shoulder)

Yuto pulled Mirai’s shoulder and made her sat on the couch.

Yuto: She just needs to chill for a while.

Chinen: Come on, Mirai-chan. The least thing we want you to do now that you are here is not nap nor stay in your room like you always do on your day-offs!

Mirai: Fine! Okay fine. Later. (sits properly on the couch) I’m gonna chill first… Do you have food?

That made everyone laugh even Ryosuke grinned.

He noticed, she was a lot okay. She was smiling and laughing genuinely. And when their eyes met, there was no uneasiness in her expression. Has she moved on?

But Ryosuke was not yet okay. He still was not feeling easy. He still immediately looked away when their eyes met. He still felt guilty for making her cry.

 

An hour had passed and they weren’t able to do Chinen’s game cuz the guy realized Umika is not legal. She’s yet to be 20 on March and she forgot about that which actually made Umika super pissed.

So they just decided to take a night swimming on the pool.

Jingi, Yuto, Kamiki and Shuhei were having too much fun that they just went jumping with their shirts on.

Umika: Guys are so annoying!

Umika rubbed off the water that splattered in her skin.

Suzuka: I guess for now we only have three normal men in this bunch.

She looked at Ryosuke, Chinen and Hayato on the grill, flipping meat and vegetables.

Mirai: Chinen would have join the crazy ones if Umika is not mad at him.

Umika: He forgot my birthday!

Umika, Mirai and Suzuka—who were the only girls who came, were on the edge of the pool, dipping their feet on the water.

Kamiki: Hey aren’t you girls gonna swim?

Umika: No, not with our shirts on!

The guys looked at each other, teasingly.

Umika just let out a disgusted look.

Umika: In your dreams, erts!

Kamiki: If only Saaya’s here! She’ll be down for a little swim.

Suzuka: (giggles) She’s be smacking your heads once she caught you staring tho.

Mirai: (laughs) Oh—oh! Saaya-chan’s doing kick boxing right?! You guys are gonna die!

Then the girls started laughing.

 

 

Ryosuke can’t help but look at Mirai. There was a little relief in his heart but he felt a little tightening still when he looked at her.

Chinen: So, what’s the deal with you and Mirai?

Ryosuke just shrugged, a little uneasy.

Chinen: Don’t shrug at me! When Umika is pissed, she doesn’t talk to me. Girls don’t talk to guys they are pissed off.

Ryosuke: She’s not pissed. Look at her, she’s..she’s laughing. She’s happy.

Suddenly Ryosuke gulped as he saw Chinen’s glare.

Ryosuke: She’s not pissed with me…(still sees Chinen’s glare)…Fine! She’s mad at me. We’re not okay! We haven’t talk! We don’t talk. I guess we will never.

Chinen: Of course, you don’t! You broke her heart. (pauses) That’s just my assumption but maybe I’m right. (stares at Ryosuke) Am I?

Ryosuke just sighed, then Chinen sighed too.

Chinen: Oh god. I know Satoko-chan was a bad idea.

Ryosuke gritted his teeth.

Chinen: (glares at Ryosuke) How come you never told me about this?! How come I only know about this…NOW?!

Chinen acted mad and walked out. Ryosuke sighed as he squeezed his eyes. When he turned at the grill, he realized Hayato was just there listening to the conversation.

Hayato: (shrugs) I was just flipping the vegetables.

Ryosuke: No, you did not. They are burning.

Hayato: Oh shoot!

Ryosuke sighed for nth time. He decided to went inside the house. Ryosuke went straight to the kitchen, grabbed a drink from the cooler, snapped it open and sat on mini bar counter.

Suddenly Suzuka and Mirai went in to get some towels for the shivering boys who were crazy enough to jump on the pool in full getup.

Mirai went straight up the cabinets.

Mirai: There’s two here.

Suzuka: I’ll get two more in the bathroom upstairs.

Mirai: Okay.

As Suzuka ran to the stairs, Mirai was left there with Ryosuke.

She only noticed him in the counter when their eyes met, which immediately Ryosuke shook off by looking down at his drink.

Meanwhile, Mirai was still looking at him. She took a deep breath before a sigh.

Ryosuke felt anxious when he realized Mirai was already in front of him in the counter.

Mirai: Oi!

Ryosuke took a glimpse at her nervously.

Mirai: Are you scared of me?

Ryosuke: (glimpses) N-No.

Mirai just stared at him. Observing him.

He looked super tense like the first time she approached the 12-year old Ryosuke on the set of Tantei Gakuen Q SP—intimidated and nervous.

Mirai: It’s alright.

That made Ryosuke looked up at her. That tone—the way she said it. He remembered, that was what she said on that first day shoot for TGQ SP.

He just sat there, looking at her, realizing the time she made him feel better from so much anxiety.

Finally, a small smile in Mirai’s lips.

Mirai: I have thought it over…and over and over. It still hurt me whenever I deal with the feeling. But, I don’t want us like this. We may not have the same feelings but you’re still “Yama-chan”. You’re still my childhood friend, “Yama-chan”.

Suddenly, tears form in Ryosuke’s eyes.

Mirai reached out a hand and smiled.

Mirai: Still friends?

As Ryosuke was looking at her, the image of little Shida Mirai appeared again. When she reached out his hand and decided to call him a friend.

He took her hand, and finally, the tears fell from his eyes. He got bailed for it...again.

 

*****

 

Mirai noticed Ryosuke was staring at her. Mirai raised her brows at him but he did not even blink. For a while they were staring through each other’s eyes.

Mirai: (taps Ryosuke’s arm) What?

Ryosuke finally blinked.

Ryosuke: I--uh--C-Can I get a free coffee?

Mirai: (grins) Okay?

Ryosuke: With extra milk.

Mirai: (laughs) O’right!

Ryosuke: Kenta will love milk too. (grins)

Mirai: Of course, Kenta gets his share!

Afterall the feelings and the pain, all that's left between Yamada Ryosuke and Shida Mirai was the friendship they always had. And Ryosuke knew, he was lucky enough to still be friends...with that one girl he was always in love with.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...