The Guy who First Broke Her Heart

10 Years After That Day

 

[2014]

Mirai was feeling the dainty diamond ring in her left ring finger. It was the first time she officially wore it. She was nervous but excited. She wondered what will be his reaction. Although, she expected quite less with such tsundere personality Ryosuke has. She laughed inside her head.

She looked around the resto-bar Kamiki reserved for his late 20th birthday celebration. Kamiki is of legal age now so there were alcoholic drinks on the menu and only a few of her classmates were of legal age so most of them were stuck on juice and cola including Umika who was in the same table as hers.

There were so many TV personalities on that bar, mostly Kamiki’s friends—which incredibly he has a lot.

Jingi was in there table a while ago but the guy pulled Suzuka on the dance floor when she arrived so what’s left was Mirai and Umika in that table watching other guests enjoying the party.

Suddenly Mirai felt a tap on her back, Kamiki was behind him.

Kamiki: Mirai, let’s take a photo if Yama-chan arrived. I really want a TGQ trio reunion photo after 2 years since graduation. You guys are too difficult to bring together.

Umika: Right. Everytime we have a hang-out, it’s always either one of you can’t come. What are the odds!

Mirai: (laughs) Ok fine.

Kamiki: He said he’s coming. Anyway, I need to go and check the other guests. See you around, girls.

Kamiki left.

Umika: Mirai, let’s darken your lipstick. I have a red lipstick here. This will go better in your white dress.

She grabs her little bag and dig in for the red lipstick.

Mirai could never care less as she felt the ring on her hand again, looking outside from the glass wall of the bar when she noticed a black car parked. There was a smile in her face when she saw Ryosuke coming out from the car.

But her heart sank when he opened the other door of the car and a lady came out of it. He brought a beautiful woman with him. Her brown hair was short enough to just touch her shoulders. She looked elegant in that red dress and the red lipstick made her look more attractive.

She held his hand as they started walking in.

Mirai immediately pulled her purse.

Mirai: I’m going to the lady’s room.

Umika: Okay. Do you want me to come—

But Mirai had already left.

Suddenly, Umika was surprised when there was raged of cheers and whistle from the other table behind hers. She looked back and saw her male classmates going crazy as they watch Ryosuke coming in the door with a tall and beautiful lady next to him.

There was a big grin in his lips as Ryosuke smack Shuhei and Jingi who was the loudest in the bunch.

Suzuka sat next to Umika.

Suzuka: Who’s that? (looks at Mirai’s empty seat) Where’s Mirai-chan?

Umika: She’s in the lady’s room. I’ll go use the toilet too.

 

Meanwhile the guys finally stopped fussing and Ryosuke got the time to introduce the lady.

Ryosuke: This is Miyata Satoko-chan.

Satoko: (smiles and waves) Hi I’m Satoko. Nice to meet you.

Shuhei: Hi I’m Nomura Shuhei. (offered a handshake)

Jingi: (slaps Shuhei’s hand) I’m Irie Jingi.

Hayato: Guys, will you cool down okay?

Hayato pulled Hayato and Jingi, only to overtake them and took Satoko’s hand and give her a handshake.

Shuhei: That’s not fair.

Satoko giggled and the rest of the guys laughed. Suddenly Kamiki arrived and with excitement, Ryosuke hugged him and greeted him a happy birthday.

Ryosuke: Anyway, this is Satoko-chan. (looks at Satoko) My girlfriend.

Yuto: Finally, a confirmation!

And laughter raged.

 

*****

Mirai could never care less as she sat on the toilet, trying to digest things. She tried not to but her tears started streaming down her cheeks, she briefly laughed at herself.

Mirai: What the hell! (sarcastic laugh) What the hell, Mirai! What have been doing?! (voice cracks) Did you actually just—(breathes deep) How stupid! Why are you so stupid!

She started sobbing silently. Her hands on when tried not to let out a sound. She was struggling to remove the ring from her finger, and when she did she clenched it inside her palm.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door.

Umika: Mirai? Are you there?

Mirai shaking hands ran to her cheeks to wipe the tears. She breathed deep and tried to calm her voice.

Mirai: Yeah. I’m here, Umika.

Umika: Are you okay?

Mirai: Unn…

When she nodded, her voice cracked and tears started forming in her eyes again.

Umika: Did something happen?

Mirai: Th-There’s just some…(gupls)…a little…a little problem.

Umika started to worry.

Umika: What is it? Do you need some help?

Mirai: Umika I need… I need to go home…(gulps and breathes) Unn…I suddenly got my period.

Umika: Just now?

Mirai: Yeah just now…I stained my dress.

Umika: Do you want me to help you out?

Mirai: It’s fine. I’d just… I’d just sneak from the back door.

Umika: Are you sure you don’t want me to help you?

All of a sudden, Umika’s phone rang.

Umika: I’ll just take this outside, okay? Tell me if you want help.

Mirai: No worries!

 

When Umika finally had left the lady’s room, Mirai slowly went out of the toilet and leaned on the sink, slamming the ring on the side of the sink. She fixed her hair and looked at her face—her eyes and nose were red and traces of tears are still on her cheeks and neck.

With a deep breath, she stormed out of the lady’s room only to dumped on someone.

Mirai: I’m sorry.

She did not even look up at the lady she bumped into. But the lady nodded and smile and briefly watched her left.

Satoko took a red lipstick inside her bag the moment she’s inside the lady’s room. She pressed her lips together after applying and fixed her hair. When she grabbed on her bag on the side of the side to put the lipstick back, she saw the diamond ring.

She picked it up and examined it for a while.

*****

It was loud in the bar. Everybody was getting drinks.

Ryosuke was with Yuto and Chinen enjoying their drink while laughing at how wild Shuhei was on the dance floor. He was a little tipsy and he was not of legal age yet but the guy was drunk enough to be dancing with everyone.

Satoko arrive on their table and held Ryosuke’s arm.

Satoko: I found this on the lady’s room.

She handed the ring to Ryosuke.

Satoko: I’ll leave it to you. Since you know most the people here, It’ll be easier for you to find the owner. (smiles)

Satoko smiled, grabbed her drink and bopped her head with the music. Meanwhile, Ryosuke was already shaking as he saw what’s on his own hand. He immediately lifted his head and looked around.

He walked farther around, looking for the owner of the ring. Only then he noticed, he met everyone from the class except her.

Kamiki: Yama-chan! Where are you going?

Ryosuke: Have you…

He hid the ring inside his palm.

Ryosuke: Is M-Mirai here?

Kamiki: Oh yeah. I was also looking for her. I have been anticipating for us three to catch up. Maybe a photo. But I couldn’t find her. He was wearing a white puffed sleeved short dress and her hair’s down, but I really could not find her.

Suddenly Umika went in the door from taking a phone call and immediately Kamiki grabbed her hand.

Kamiki: Umika, where’s Mirai?

Umika: Oh yeah, Mirai gets into a little problem. I can’t tell you guys but it’s a girl thing.

Kamiki: What?! (sighs and scratched his head) No way! My mom personally wanted to see a photo of me with Yama-chan and Mirai.

Umika just shrugged before she noticed Ryosuke’s expression and the silent pant that causes his fast breathing. Is he worried?

Umika: Yamada-kun, are you okay?

Ryosuke: (forced a smile) Yeah. Yeah…I am.

He hurrily shove the ring inside his pocket.

Chinen: There you are!

Chinen suddenly grabbed Umika in the waist which the girl tried to shove away.

Umika: Are you drunk? You’re not supposed to drink! You’re 19!

Chinen: Everybody’s getting drunk so why not?

Umika pulled Chinen’s arm around her and grabbed his wrist only to pull him away from Ryosuke and Kamiki.

Kamiki: Is she going to hurt the little guy?

 

*****

 

For days, Mirai has been isolating herself. She cried every night that resulted the big eye bags under her eyes. Her manager didn’t know what to do about it. The girl has photoshoots and TV guesting.

Her manager though it’s stress due to work so she cancelled two days of her work and all she did was hibernate inside her room.

Suddenly her door clicked open, Umika was there standing.

Umika: I tried to visit in your HQ. They said you were given a day-off.

She closed the door and sat on the edge of her bed.

Umika: Mirai? Is this because of Yamada-kun.

Mirai just froze under her blanket.

Umika: Hey~ (shakes Mirai)

Mirai finally lifted herself up, getting out of the blanket. Umika looked worries as she stared at her eyes.

Umika: (forcefully smiles) Wanna come with me?

Mirai was confused but she did. The next time she knew, she was already in a bar with Umika who had her fifth glass of beer while she had her second.

Umika ended up drunk crying complaining about boys.

Umika: We don’t need boys Mirai~ All we need is money. Money is better. Dump all these boys! They are worthless eyecandy! Just good in the eye and nothing more! (sighs)They will pay for breaking our hearts!

Mirai gasped when Umika slumped her face on the bar table. She rubbed Umika’s shoulder just to realize her best friend had already drunk slept.

Suddenly the bartender handed her a blue Hawaiian.

Mirai: Sorry I did not order that.

Ryo: Don’t worry it’s from me. (smiles)

Mirai: Ryusei Ryo-kun.

Ryo smiles as he sat next to Mirai and glimpsed at Umika next to her.

Mirai: She slept. This is our first time drinking. (whispers to herself) And she’s not even legal.

Ryo: I see, so how are you?

Mirai: I am good. How about you?

Ryo: Happy. I am happy to see you…really. (smiles)

 

*****

 

Yamada Ryosuke was in front of the mirror, buttoning his shirt. He is attending a formal dinner with the premiere of Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo Neo.

Ryosuke: Should I wear a tie?

Satoko: Yeah, use that one I bought you. It’s my favorite.

She sat on the edge of his bed then glance at his jewelry cabinet.

Satoko: Lemme choose your accessories.

She excitedly went through his watches and rings when she noticed that one ring. She picked it up and at first glance she knew it was that ring she found in the party.

Satoko: Ryosuke-kun, isn’t this the ring I found?

Ryosuke anxiously nodded.

Ryosuke: I—uh…the owner had left the party so I was not able to give it back to her.

Satoko: (nods) So you know who owns it.

Ryosuke: Yeah…(fixing his ties) It’s unn…It’s Mirai—(gulps) I mean Shida…Mirai-chan.

Satoko: Ahh~ (nods) You are good friends right? I heard stories of her from Yuto-kun and Chinen-kun.

Ryosuke: They talk about her?

Satoko: There were few times her name comes out in their stories.

Ryosuke nodded.

Satoko: I think you should give the ring back to her. It may have a sentimental value. Like it’s from a special person.

Ryosuke coughed.

Ryosuke: Huh?

Satoko: (smiles) There’s a lot of things you still don’t know about girls. We don’t buy diamond rings, Ryosuke-kun. So every diamond ring we own are given by men in our lives. And… not all men in our lives just randomly give diamond rings.

Ryosuke uneasily inhaled and turned to her.

Satoko: What happened to your tie?! (sighs) Lemme fix it.

Satoko was fixing his tie when she looked at him.

Satoko: Are you okay?

Ryosuke: (forcefully smiles) Of course.

Satoko: Anyway, I have work so I gotta go.  (grabs her bag) Update me! See you!

She waved bye and left the apartment.

Ryosuke’s smile faded as soon as she left. He grabbed his phone and texted Kamiki.

 

*****

 

 

It was Saturday when Mirai arrived at an old restaurant in Tokyo that served the best kabayaki. Kamiki contacted her for some reason and demanded to meet him on that night.

The moment she’s in the restaurant, she immediately saw him waving at her from the most secluded table in the restaurant.

Mirai: Are you paying for tonight’s dinner.

Kamiki: (laughs) No way!

Mirai crunched her nose as she sat across him.

Mirai: You are forever stingy, aren’t you?

Kamiki: (laughs) Yama-chan will be paying so why would I?

Mirai’s smile slowly changed to frown as she heard his name.

Mirai: HAAAAAA?!

Kamiki: He was here before me. He just returned to his car to get his pho—Oh he’s back! (waves) Yama-chan! Mirai’s already here.

Ryosuke uneasily tried to look at Mirai while she was avoiding an eye contact yet bowed politely so he did too. Ryosuke sat next to Kamiki.

It was the most awkward situation Mirai has ever been in. She swore she’d kill Kamiki for not telling her Ryosuke is joining them.

Kamiki: Anyway, we had already ordered for you Mirai. So if you want additional order we can call the waiter.

Mirai: No. It’s fine. I am…I am not staying long anyway. I—unn…I have work after this so…

Kamiki: You have? I thought you are free after 6?

Mirai: I said unn… I said after 6. (forced laughs) Work resumes at 6:30.

Kamiki: Ha?

Mirai tapped her phone.

Mirai: So yeahh… I—uh…I’m leaving in 15 minutes.

Kamiki: You gotta be kidding me! Our order won’t be ready in the next 10 minutes, Mirai!

Mirai shrugged and let out a forced laugh.

Mirai: What is this little reunion is all about anyway?

Kamiki: Well…Yama-chan here—

Ryosuke briefly looked at her then glared at Kamiki when he heard his name. Kamiki looked back at Ryosuke while eventually scratching his head.

Kamiki: He texted me…He…

Kamiki was trying to read Ryosuke’s expression so he was talking slowly.

Kamiki: He said he was free on Saturday and both of us are too so. Here we are! (grins) And of course I miss you guys! We had not reunited in my party. Cuz someone left without a notice~ (eyes Mirai)

Mirai looked pissed as she forced a smile.

Kamiki: Anyway (turns to Ryosuke) Do you know that Mirai looked extra pretty that night? On my birthday! It’s on my birthday.

Mirai looked a lot more pissed as she gritted her teeth inside behind the forced smile and narrowed eyes.

Mirai: Of course! It’s your birthday neeee~

When suddenly she kicked Kamiki under the table. And when the guy lifted his head to look at MIrai, she was glaring scarily at him.

It’s a normal scenario for Ryosuke. Kamiki and Mirai have always a cat-dog relationship. If given any chances to fight, they do. They are pissed of each other, more often Mirai is pissed of Kamiki.

For the entire time, Kamiki was able to make both Mirai and Ryosuke talk in that table while they eat. Occasionally, they also laughed as they reminisce some old memories—during TGQ days or high school. But Mirai and Ryosuke still can’t look at each other not talk to each other.

Kamiki: Anyway (takes his phone) Let’s finally take a photo.

After taking the photo, Kamiki’s phone rang.

Kamiki: I’ll just take this outside.

When Kamiki left, both became uneasy. Mirai pulled her drink closer and wished for Kamiki to come back any sooner, while Ryosuke took a glance at her from time to time, still contemplating on how would he say what he wanted to say.

When he just suddenly slid a folded handkerchief in front of her.

Mirai glance at it then to Ryosuke, then back to the handkerchief only to finally notice the ring on top of it. She gasped and her popped in surprise, slowly looking up at Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Satoko-ch—I mean…she found it in the lady’s room during Kamiki’s party.

Mirai didn’t say a word, but she was clutching on her drink so tight.

Ryosuke: So I—uh—

He stopped when he found tears forming in her eyes, as tightened and lips pressed tightly.

Mirai: Do you actually think I am still taking that?

Her round teary eyes were finally looking at him.

Mirai: How pathetic do you actually think of me?

Ryosuke was not able to say anything as she grabbed her bag and dashed out of the restaurant. Without any second thoughts, Ryosuke grabbed the ring and followed her outside.

She was walking really fast but Ryosuke was able to catch up with her.

Ryosuke: Mirai. Please, can we talk? Mirai!

They were a few blocks away from the restaurant but Ryosuke wouldn’t leave her.

Ryosuke: Please, Mirai. (sighs and pants) I am sorry! I am really sorry.

That was then Mirai finally stopped. When she slowly faced him, he almost regretted that he asked for it. He felt the unnecessary pain in his chest as he looked at her crying.

Mirai: I believed you. (wipes the tears in her cheeks) I waited for you cuz you told me to. I held on to that—I held on to you…Because I thought you will too. (presses her lips together before breathing out) I stayed in love with you because I thought you will too.

Her voice was cracking and shaking but she continued.

Mirai: (forced laugh) So are you sorry that I have been waiting for you and for thinking that you’ll choose me all these years? Or are you sorry because you have forgotten about me?

Ryosuke just stood there but nothing could come out in his mouth.

Mirai: If all you wanna say is sorry. Then, I don’t need to hear it. Anyhow, your sorry only means one thing—

She walked closer to him and pointed at his left chest.

Mirai: I am not here anymore.

Those words still left a sore in his heart. Because at some point, she could be right. And he doesn’t know how much he had hurt her.

 

*****

 

Ryosuke was leaning on the wall beside the door when it opened and the small figure of Mirai came in. She gasped when she realized Ryosuke was there. She forced a smile behind the swollen eyelids.

Mirai: How long have you been there?

Ryosuke just stared at her.

Mirai looked down at her toes and sighed deep when she realized he had witnessed everything.

She forced a laugh and when she was about to explain things Ryosuke got closer and slowly wrapped his arms around her, gently leaning her head on her chest. It was shortly then when she just let her tears welled up.

At that moment, Ryosuke just thought he should have held her like this that night. No…he should have done more than that—he should have not hurt her at all because no matter what he does he will always be the guy who first broke her heart.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...