At Some Point in 2011

10 Years After That Day

Mirai: What are you doing here?

Ryosuke found himself in Mirai’s newly-purchased coffee shop.

Ryosuke: I just thought you might need a hand?

Mirai raised a brow. She looked around the shop. She had hired carpenters and interior designers to do the renovations for her so there’s no more lifting to do.

Ryosuke: About the cakes.

Mirai: Wait, you’re not proposing to be my supplier, right?

Ryosuke: I don’t have time for baking while doing Johnny’s stuffs.

Mirai: (grins) Of course you don’t.

Ryosuke: I am proposing to give you baking classes.

Mirai: (narrowed her eyes) For free?

Ryosuke just smiled and nodded which made Mirai smile. For a moment, they stood there smiling at each other.

 

Ryosuke: Aren’t you too rich to be stingy?

Mirai briefly laughed as she takes the things for baking.

Mirai: I am not rich to begin with. Lucky enough prenuptial agreement is not a thing in Japan so I shared riches with the guy. (she paused for awhile) I still get a part of it even after the divorce. (teasingly smile) I’ll take advantage of it. So maybe I’ll branch out in a month using his money.

Ryosuke chuckled.

Mirai: What?

Ryosuke: If you’re that willing to spend his money, I can get you professional bakers to give you baking classes.

Mirai: They’ll be too strict. I can’t handle another stressor.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Right.

Mirai finally finished laying all the baking tools and ingredients. She spread her arms at the counter before looking at Ryosuke.

Mirai: So, you’re still up for this right?

Ryosuke: (smiles) I’ll take a free coffee every session.

Mirai: (grins) …Deal.

Suddenly the bell rang signaling someone entered the shop. A delivery guy entered with a big bouquet of pink roses.

Delivery guy: We have flowers for Shida-san.

Mirai: That’s me. Who is it from?

She approached the guy to sign on the paper.

Deliver guy: From Ryusei Ryo-san.

Mirai was taken aback for awhile before she took a deep breath. Ryosuke can only observe her reactions.

Mirai let out a deep breath and walked out of the counter to receive the flowers. Ryosuke had just to look at her and the big bouquet of roses on her side, and the lad can’t help but remember some details in the past.

*****

[2011]

Saaya: Mirai-chaaaaaannn!

Saaya Irie caught everyone’s attention in class she slammed opened the door of the classroom, shouting Mirai’s name while panting heavily and a big smile in her face.

Mirai: Eh? What happened?

Saaya: (panting) Ther—There’s something –(gulp)—for you.

Mirai was confused and the rest of the class turned to a group of guys behind Saaya. They were holding a huge bouquet of pink roses. One of the guys step in and handed the flowers to Mirai.

Guy 1: This is for Shida MIrai-san. A present from the School Council President.

Mirai: School Council President? (smiles confusingly) Why?

On the corner of the classroom, Ryosuke was staring at Mirai, when Mirai looked back at him, he immediately looked away.

Mirai: Ah umm…Why would he be sending me flowers anyway?

Saaya, Umika and Suzuka, Mirai’s friends looked at each other with a teasing smile.

Saaya: (whispering) The guy likes you, obviously.

 

Suddenly someone stood on the frame of the door—a tall, good-looking guy with a student council tag on his left arm—Ryusei Ryo was smiling as he stares at the clueless Shida Mirai.

The other guys from the student council who delivered the flowers fled behind the guy, taking all the attention of all class D, including a death glare from Yamada Ryosuke.

Ryo: Hi, I hope you like them (referring to the flowers).

With that he left with the rest of his council.

 

*****

Mirai placed the huge bouquet on the table and turned to Ryosuke with a smile.

Ryosuke: (smiles back) That’s a pretty sweet for a soon-to-be ex-husband.

He tried to . Mirai just shrugged and walked to the counter to join Ryosuke.

Mirai: Seems like a congratulatory present for the coffee shop. That’s the only thing he has ever been good at. (looks up at Ryosuke with a smug face) Surprises. (laughs)

Ryosuke: Well, at least there is something he is good at.

Ryosuke retorted jokingly but Mirai was silent.

Ryosuke: What happened?

Mirai: He is trying to slow the divorce process. He refused to sign the last papers.

Ryosuke turned to Mirai with a worried expression on his face.

Ryosuke: Why?

Mirai: He is trying to impress the Board of Directors. His father is retiring soon and being the first born doesn’t secure his spot to be the next president. Sure, a divorced man is not a very good image for him.

Ryosuke rolled his eyes as he straightened his back. He looked pissed but he calmed himself with a deep breath.

Ryosuke: Do you need a breather before doing this? (he pointed at the baking tools) As far as I know, you are so bad at this.

The lady can just look at him with a confused look on her face before she let out a brief laugh.

Mirai: Not you doubting me on this! (laughs)

Ryosuke: I know you’d be okay. But I want you to take it slow. I’d be here.

Mirai’s laugh subsided as it turned into a soft smile realizing that he meant more than what he said.

Mirai: Thank you…Yama-chan.

Their eyes met and for a sudden they both laugh.

Mirai: Let’s do this.

Ryosuke: (laughs) That’s one determined woman right there, like she’s always been.

 

The next thing they knew; they are already waiting for the cakes to finish baking. While they exasperatingly waited for the oven to ring, Ryosuke was reading a magazine while enjoying his share of a cup of coffee.

Mirai: Do you need more?

Mirai offered for another cup of coffee.

Ryosuke: Yeah, I’d be happy to have my third cup.

Mirai was pouring coffee on his cup when the oven clicked and they looked at each other before Mirai ran to the oven.

 

They placed the cakes on the counter.

Ryosuke: Well, they almost looked identical.

Mirai: Except for the bump on top of my cake. Why the hell did my chocolate cake turned into a volcano?

Ryosuke: (trying to prevent from laughing) I think it’s amazing.

Mirai: Then why do you look so amused?

Ryosuke: Unn? (looks at Mirai)

Mirai: You look like you are laughing from the inside.

It took for a couple of seconds before Ryosuke burst out a laugh.

Mirai: See? You are making fun of me.

Ryosuke: No! no! I just wonder why it looks like this. (laughs) Are you sure you followed what I did?

Mirai just looked at him, disappointed of herself.

Ryosuke: A little trim on top with fix that! And of course we will be frosting it so…(nods)

Mirai: You should have told me earlier!

 

After frosting, Mirai placed her cake next to Ryosuke’s.

Ryosuke: That looks pretty good.

Mirai: (smiled) It does.

Ryosuke offered a high five and Mirai did excitedly.

Rysouke: Now it’s time to taste. Let’s start with mine.

He sliced his chocolate cake and placed one in each of their plates. Both took a bite.

Mirai: That’s really good!

Ryosuke: (smiles) Now, it’s time for yours.

Mirai looked nervous but she sliced her chocolate cake, gave one slice to Ryosuke and waited for his reaction as he took a bite. The guy’s eyes narrowed looking at Mirai after eating the whole slice.

Ryosuke: Are you sure you are still bad at baking cuz this taste good.

Mirai: Eh? Really? (she took a bite of her own slice) You’re joking!

Ryosuke: This is really good compared to high school.

Mirai: Well, yeah at least it’s edible this time.

Ryosuke just grin as he remembered something from the past and Mirai who noticed that let out an unexpected snort while she hit him in the arm.

Ryosuke: I always knew you poisoned Hirasawa-sensei!

And they both laugh.

They always have been good friends—that cute friendship people around them always thought to have something more to it.

Suddenly, the door opened and Miyuu dashed in aggressively to surprise her sister but it seems that she was more surprised. Ryosuke and Mirai’s laugh subsided as their attention darted at Miyuu in front of them.

A smirk grew on Miyuu’s face.

Miyuu: Did I interrupt you guys?

*****

[2011]

It was lunch break. Saaya was taking pictures of the elegant bouquet.

Saaya: This piece looks expensive.

Umika: Of course it is! Class A’s Ryusei Ryo-san is the son of a multimillionaire businessman in Tokyo.

Saaya: What? I thought he is just good looking and smart!

Umika: Apparently, he is every girl’s dream guy!

Mirai: Should I return the flowers?

Saaya: Why would you?! (skips in front of Mirai)

Suzuka smirked as she looked at Yamada Ryosuke’s direction. The guy was with Chinen and Yuto who were talking and later join by Kamiki who leaned towards Ryosuke.

Suzuka: Is someone getting jealous?

Umika: (smirks) The guy was not in the mood all morning.

Saaya: He never expected a little competition so early today.

Mirai: Girls! No, stop! (sighs) I just thought that I really never knew him. And I don’t even know why he’ll be sending me flowers.

Saaya: Mirai-chan, he said “I hope you like them” with that smile on his face as he stared at you with so much love. Now tell me you still don’t know why he sent you those flowers?

Suddenly Umika elbowed Saaya when Ryosuke approached Mirai’s table and leaned towards her and whispered.

Ryosuke: Hirasawa-sensei wants to talk to us.

Mirai: About what?

Ryosuke did not answer and just walked ahead making Mirai looked at her friends, confused, before standing.

Umika: Now tell me that doesn’t look like some sort of a jealous boyfriend.

Suzuka: (chuckles) Yamada-kun might have been so pissed.

Saaya: Wait, are they dating?

Umika and Suzuka synchronically shrugged.

 

Meanwhile, Mirai had been following Ryosuke on the hallway. He has not said any word.

Mirai: Yama-chan, why—

Ryosuke: We’re here.

He opened the door of the faculty room and bowed at the teachers inside before approaching Hirasawa-sensei’s table. The bald, short, old guy who happened to be their Math teacher looked angry.

****

 

 

Miyuu tasted her sister’s chocolate cake.

Miyuu: This is okay. But I’d rather have the other one. (grabs on the plate with Ryosuke’s cake)

Mirai: Yeah of course, you’d rather. (glares at her sister) Anyway, do you need anything?

Miyuu: I bought a wine to celebrate. I had a feeling you would be bored here cuz I thought you are…(slides her eyes to Ryosuke) alone. But well (stands up) I guess I’ll leave the wine here and you guys enjoy. (smirks)

Ryosuke: No, my session is done here. I am leaving anyway. So, I guess, I should leave you two for a sister time. (smiles)

Miyuu: NOOO! I mean, I leave, you stay. (smirks) My sister would love your company, more than mine—awh!

Mirai kicked her sister secretly and forcefully smiled at her then turn to Ryosuke.

Mirai: Sure. Thanks for your help. (smiles)

Ryosuke: (smiles) I’ll see you tomorrow.

The guy had left when Miyuu decided to give her sister a teasing look.

Miyuu: Tomorrow?~ Is it a date?

Mirai just gave her a fake smile making Miyuu roll her eyes as she sighed.

Miyuu: Fine, sorry I just—(sighs and went to the shelves to get some wine glass) Only God knows, he could have been your first kiss.

That made Mirai gasp and gulped looking at the cake in front of her.

 

Meanwhile, while Ryosuke walked home, there was an unconscious little smile on his face, then suddenly his expression change. He panicked when he realized some details.

 

[2011]

Ryosuke and Mirai were in the rooftop, contemplating how angry Hirawasa was as he accussed them of food poisoning him.

Mirai: I did not do it!

Ryosuke pulled his back from leaning on the chair.

Ryosuke: I think he wouldn’t try to tell the principal about this. He doesn’t even have any evidences…and it’s not our fault he had to eat the cakes cuz he presented as a judge for baking class.

Mirai: (sigh) I wish not. (stands up) And I thought today’s gonna be an ordinary day.

Ryosuke played with his nape before staring at her.

Ryosuke: Right. So, you seeing this guy from Class A.

Mirai: (glared at Ryosuke) Really? I just met the guy today.

Ryosuke: You looked excited when he showed up.

Mirai: And you’re jealous for what?

Ryosuke can only glare back at her, no words but he looked mad. Mirai laughed and stood next to him.

Mirai: (murmured) Too serious. (looks briefly at Ryosuke) Let’s go back to the classroom.

Mirai has already taken few steps when she felt a hand in her wrist. She looked up at Ryosuke only to realize his face is getting closer to hers, only to realize it was a kiss when she felt his lips on hers.

 

Ryosuke shook his head as he remembered. He slowly grabbed his nape, scratching it unnecessarily.

Ryosuke: Did I actually do that? No! That was the 17-year-old me. I have nothing to do with that.

Then his face turned serious.

 

 

Miyuu: Nee-chan?

Mirai: Eh?

Miyuu: (hands a glass of wine) Cheers?

Mirai took the glass and smiled. Her smile vanished as she drifted to that certain point in 2011.

 

TO BE CONTINUED....