The Coffee Shop's Opening

10 Years After That Day

A/N: Present time is situated in 2029

_______________________________________
 

[2024]

The door automatically opened for Ryosuke when he arrived in the agency building. He bowed to everyone he met on the receiving area when a news broadcast got his attention stopping in front of the big TV screen above the information desk.

“[Shida Mirai (31), retires from the entertainment industry after 25 years as an actress.] Today, Shida Mirai-san posted an official statement of her retirement. She was married to a non-celebrity last 2018 and wanted to focus on her family life. In her statement she thanked all the people who supported her and…”

Ryosuke did not barely understood the next statements due to the disbelief. When he heard a sigh. He looked up at Tamamori Yuta next to him.

Tamamori: So Mirai-chan just retired, eh?

Ryosuke nodded as he looked at the TV.

Tamamori: What is your opinion about that?

Ryosuke: Weird. She will never retire. (sighs) She planned of retiring before but she always misses acting and comes back.

Tamamori: (chuckles) You really know each other well, eh?

Ryosuke: Eh?

Tamamori: I remembered back then when Mirai and I costarred in a drama, she always talked about you. That was the reason I never asked her on a date coz I thought you were in that kind of relationship. (laughs)

Ryosuke forced a laugh.

Tamamori tapped him in the shoulder before he left. He was about to go too when the receptionist called him. She showed Ryosuke a thin package which was for Chinen Yuri and nicely asked Ryosuke to give it to him which he willingly took.

When he arrived in Hey! Say! JUMP’s room and saw Chinen on the long couch in front of the TV looking shocked.

Chinen: Mirai-chan just retired.

He was blankly looking at the TV with Shida Mirai’s picture on the headline news. Ryosuke sighed as he walked closer to him.

Chinen: Weird. I always thought I’d retire first before her. That’s how she loved her work.

Ryosuke nodded in agreement.

Ryosuke: Said she wanted to focus on her personal life.

Chinen: This news said ‘married life’.

Ryosuke: Apparently, it’s the same. Anyway. (hands the package to Chinen) The reception gave that to me.

Chinen just looked at the package in his hand and took a deep breath when suddenly the door opened and the enthusiastic Nakajima Yuto beamed in.

Yuto: Yahoooo! Hey you guys! I have a news!

Ryosuke: A good news? In the middle of a bad news. That’s cool.

Ryosuke said sarcastically while Yuto seemed to hear nothing as he put down his bag and jumped on the couch next to Chinen.

Yuto: I have a girlfriend! (grins proudly)

Ryosuke: Don’t tell me you got back with Suzuka.

Yuto: Ah. No. Suzuka’s doing well with that pediatrician guy. I think they are dating with the purpose of getting married.

Chinen: So, this girl you’re dating…Who is this if it’s not Suzuka?

Yuto looked at both his friends with a thrill and a drum roll.

Yuto: Yuko!

Ryosuke: Yuko?

Yuto: Yuko.

Ryosuke: Araki Yuko?

Yuto: Araki Yuko. (smiles proudly)

Chinen: I thought you are not his type.

Yuto: Apparently, you were wrong. We’ve been exchanging LINE messages lately and I decided to ask her out and she said yes. Now, we are officially a couple.

Chinen: Well, congratulations my friend!

Chinen gave Yuto a hand shake.

Yuto: Guess it’s gonna be a good year. With Chii getting married…secretly tho and me being in a new relationship. (slowly turns to Ryosuke) Any good news from you tho?

Ryosuke: I bought a new gaming console.

Yuto rolled his eyes while he faced Ryosuke. On the other hand, Chinen decided to open his package.

Yuto: Anyway, I heard Mirai-chan retired.

Ryosuke: Yeah. It’s all over the news already.

Yuto: I actually knew it yesterday. Suzuka told me.

Ryosuke: You still talk casually to Suzuka-chan?

Yuto: Why not? We’re friends.

Ryosuke moved his brows in disbelief. Sometimes he envied how casual Yuto and Suzuka are to each other.

Suddenly, Yuto heard Chinen sigh as he leaned on the back of the couch. He looked at the guy before noticing bunch of pictures on the center table in front of them.

Ryosuke looked at him worried.

Ryosuke: What was that package?

Yuto: Awww~! These are a bunch of Chinen’s baby pictures.

Chinen: I told my mom to send some pictures of me when I was a baby.

Ryosuke: Why?

Chinen breathe long and deep. He batted his eyes before he answered Ryosuke.

Chinen: I think I saw Umika a week ago while I was shopping.

Ryosuke: Isn’t she in Italy? It has been almost 3 years since she left for Italy.

Chinen: I can’t be wrong it was her.

Yuto: Oh. I forgot to tell you guys. Umika-chan’s back in Japan, maybe 2 weeks now. I heard from Suzuka.

Ryosuke: So, it’s confirmed Umika-chan’s back. (looks at Chinen) What does that has to do with all of those baby pictures?

Chinen: When I saw Umika…she was carrying a baby. Maybe around 2-years old. I don’t know.

Ryosuke and Yuto looked at each other.

Chinen: I had to confirm it so I asked my mom to send me pictures and…

Chinen looked down at his old baby pictures.

Chinen: The baby looked exactly like me.

The two guys almost stopped breathing.

There was a total silence as they contemplate with the shock. Yuto grabbed his hair while Ryosuke recalled that time she drove Umika home from Chinen’s party.

Ryosuke: Oh fck.

He said in a low voice but enough to make Yuto and Chinen look at him.

Ryosuke: 2021. During your party.

Chinen: Which one?

Ryosuke: The one when you introduced Naomi.

Yuto: Ah. Umika left early during that party. Apparently it was also the last time we saw her coz she declared a hiatus, days after that and left for Italy.

Ryosuke: I was the one who drove her home that night when I caught her feeling ill and dizzy. She was really pale too and—(sighs) If Chinen is right about the baby, Umika knew back then she was pregnant.

Chinen’s eyed bulged in surprise as his heart raised when he remembered Umika approached her that night saying she wanted to talk about something.

Chinen’s voice was almost a whisper.

Chinen: That was…what she wanted to tell me.

The two guys looked at Chinen worriedly.

 

*****

 

Chinen woke up from the small couch in the JUMP room. He gasped upon lifting himself up. He squeezed his eyes and when he opened it he saw Ryosuke standing on the glass window. All dressed up and smelling good.

Chinen: Where are you opt to go?

Ryosuke: All I need is timing.

Chinen: Timing? What are we talking about again?

Chinen asked, confused. Ryosuke turned to him.

Ryosuke: Today is the opening of Mirai’s coffee shop. I am planning to sneak.

Chinen: What?! No Ryosuke! You’re not gonna make the management mad, and Yabu!

Ryosuke: I can in between work right?

Chinen: How? Have you forgotten? All your a-month backlog are jammed in one week! Today, you have to shoot for a scene in your new movie, then you have a magazine shoot after that plus interview. Then another shoot for our variety show. You don’t have inbetweens, Ryosuke.

Ryosuke sighed.

Chinen: You have just even came from a photoshoot have you? You still have glitter eyeshadows. (sighs) You can text her. Or call. Say your congratulations.

Ryosuke: I can’t.

Chinen: Why?

Ryosuke: Ah…That’s… because I don’t have her contact information.

Chinen: W-WHAAATTT??!!

Ryosuke leaned on the glass window behind him.

Chinen: (sighs) Fine. I’ll call Umika. I’ll ask her Mirai’s number for you.

Ryosuke: Eh? Really? But…you and Umika—

Chinen: It’s fine. We were awkward in real life but she doesn’t ignore my calls.

Ryosuke: Really? (blinks in disbelief) If I am her, I am going to ignore you for life!

Chinen: Com’n!!! I am helping you here!

 

******

 

Mirai wore a big smile on her face. She was wearing a white laced dress with puffed short sleeves. Her hair were curled and held completely down.

She was surrounded by her family and friends as she cut the ribbon in front of her coffee shop and bowed together with the applause.

As the doors open, the crew welcomed and ushered all the guests in. While the others were joined by Miyuu and her mother inside.

Mirai stood in the entrance bowing at the guests when she saw Ryosuke’s mom and dad. A smile grew in her face and she bowed at the couple.

Yamada-okaasan: (smiles) Mirai-chan, omedatou.

Mirai: Thank you so much, oba-san.

Yamada-otosan: Maa~ (sighs) It’s like Ryosuke can’t make it today. Sorry.

Mirai: (shakes her head) Oh, it’s okay, oji-san. I told him he doesn’t have to force it. Besides, both of you are here so I am happy.

The couple smiled at her. Suddenly, Mirai’s mom and dad approached them and guided the couple inside, leaving Mirai in the entrance.

She looked outside and smiled feeling the warm touch of the morning air before she joined everyone inside.

 

*****

 

Chinen was on his phone waiting for Umika to pick up the call while Ryosuke was next to him.

Chinen: Seriously, you’ve been with Mirai all month and you don’t have her number?

Ryosuke pouted.

Chinen: I don’t know if you are just really not hitting on Mirai, or you’re too shy to ask her. But either way, I want to remind you Ryosuke. She’s married.

Ryosuke: So if she’s not married anymore—

Chinen: Huh? What do you mean by that?

Ryosuke panicked.

Ryosuke: N-Nothing.

Luckily, Chinen’s call was picked up.

Chinen: He-Hello… Umika.

“Hello, Chinen!”

Chinen: Eh? Jin-san?

Ryosuke: Jin-san?!

Ryosuke panicked more when Umika’s husband picked the call. What will he think about Chinen calling his wife? Is this gonna be trouble?

Chinen: Hey! (smiles) Anyway, is Umika there?

Ryosuke looked worried at Chinen when he was so casual as he talked to Jin.

Jin: Oh, she left for Kanagawa. She brought Ren with her. He forgot her phone so I took the call.

Chinen: Oh, is that so?

Jin: Do you wanna talk about something?

Chinen: Oh no, I was just actually going to ask Umika for Mirai’s number.

Jin: Okay then. I’ll run through Umika’s contacts and send you Mirai-chan’s number when I find it.

Chinen: Thanks a lot.

The call ended. Chinen closed his phone and turned to Ryosuke only to meet his really surprised and amazed expression.

Chinen: What?

Ryosuke: Did you just had a casual conversation with the husband?

Chinen: (nods) He is a nice guy. We started getting along maybe 3 months ago when he invited me on a drink.

Ryosuke: So you’re telling me, you—you are of better terms with Jin-san than Umika.

Chinen: Maybe we can put it that way.

Suddenly his phone clicked.

Chinen: Oh, he already sent Mirai’s number. I’m gonna send it to you.

Ryosuke was still amazed by the fact that Umika’s husband and Chinen had it good. He wanted to ask more questions but his phone rang. He already received Mirai’s number.

Ryosuke: Got it! (smiles) Thanks.

The door opened and their manager called Ryosuke. They are off to the location shoot for Ryosuke’s new movie.

Ryosuke: I’m coming!

Chinen: Hey Ryosuke. Just text or call, okay? No sneaking.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Yeah!

 

*****

 

Mirai immediately notice the glass door opened and saw Umika dashing in hurriedly.

Mirai: Umika!

Umika: Mirai! I’m sorry I am late. I have been trying to find the location. I forgot my phone at home.

Mirai: Don’t worry about that. I am happy you’re finally here. (looks down) Hi Ren-kun. (smiles)

The little boy smiled and waved at Mirai.

Mirai: Do you like some cake?

Ren: (smiles) Do you have cheesecake?

Mirai: (chuckles) Yes.

Later, they settled on one table, enjoying their coffee and desserts.

Umika took a bite of the slice of strawberry shortcake.

Umika: This is so good! And it goes so well with the coffee.

Mirai: (smiles) Thank you.

Umika: Did you bake all of these?

Mirai laughed embarrassedly.

Mirai: No. (grins) Actually I only did the shortcake. That’s the only one I mastered. The rest are baked by my staffs. But these are all Yama-chan’s recipe.

Umika: Yamada-kun’s recipe?

Mirai: Ah. (nods) He left me with a handwritten recipe of all the pastries I can work on. (laughs) It has crappy drawings too.

Umika stared at Mirai as she sipped on her coffee.

Mirai: But I was just not good at baking so I am progressing really slow. I am still learning some baking techniques Yama-chan taught me. Maybe by then I’ll do the rest of the recipe right. Yama-chan will be pissed off if he finds out I did not improve. (smiles)

Umika was just staring teasingly at Mirai.

Umika: Anyway, is he not here?

Mirai shook her head.

Umika: I saw him yesterday. I should’ve remind him to come.

Mirai: It’s fine. He is really packed. He’ll never have a time to come over.

Umika: You seemed a little upset about that.

Mirai: Oh no! No!

She waved her hands in defense.

Mirai: No! (chuckles) I unnn…(gulps) I expected that we will not be seeing each other for a long time again.

Umika: Now you seemed more upset.

Mirai: Eh?

Umika grins teasingly.

Mirai sighed when she realized what was Umika thinking.

Mirai: Umika.

Umika: You’ll be officially divorced tomorrow, right? That means you can move on from Ryo-san and be with someone who can make you happy.

Mirai: And it’s not…

She looked around before sprouting his name out in the open.

Mirai: (whispers) It’s not Yamada Ryosuke.

Umika: It’s not what I see, Mirai. You have a smile on your lips when you talk about him.

Mirai stared at Umika for a while before she sat properly as she took a deep breath.

Mirai: I am not gonna move in circle, Umika. You know what happened to us back then. It’s gonna happen again. I don’t want to confine him in a box were I am the only option. (gulps) He is out there again. Being surrounded with so much things. Better things. I want him to be happy and choose the better things.

Umika looked at Mirai long.

Umika: Oh my gawd, Mirai. You love him.

Mirai was taken aback. There was silence for a couple of seconds before Umika burst into a laugh.

Mirai: (frowns) What was that?! You startled me!

Umika: (laughs) You’re too serious. It’s a joke!

Mirai sighed and smiled at Umika.

Mirai: After this day, I’ll finally be out of Ryo’s grip. I want to focus on myself. I think the 10 years of being married was enough experience for me. I don’t think I’d ever wanted to be on such relationship again.

Umika: Don’t you want to be with someone who’ll truly love you?

Mirai took a deep breath.

 

*****

 

Inside the van, while he was drove to the location shoot, Ryosuke was constructing his mail to Mirai. He would type few words and then delete them. Type again and delete again.

He sighed and leaned on the back of the seat.

In the end, he had not sent a message to Mirai. Maybe later, he’ll know what to say.

 

It was already 2pm when he was done with his first schedule of the day and headed to his photoshoot. He was already on the dressing room getting styled when he glanced at his phone in front of him.

He was decided when he pulled the phone and typed his message to Mirai.

 

*****

 

There were more customers in the coffee shop. All the tables were occupied and everybody seemed happily enjoying their orders. Some customers recognized Umika and Mirai and even asked for pictures which they happily granted.

The customers bowed and thanked Umika and Mirai. Suddenly Mirai’s phone beeped and saw an unfamiliar LINE ID on her phone screen. She clicked on the message.

“This is Yamada Ryosuke…”

There was a skip in her heart when she read the first line of the message.

Umika: Is something wrong?

Mirai shook her head and smiled at Umika.

Mirai: I’ll just bring these glasses to the kitchen.

She took the tray of dirty glasses and mugs and walked to the kitchen. She laid the tray on the counter, which the staff took, before she opened her phone and continued reading Ryosuke’s message.

“This is Yamada Ryosuke. How are you? How’s the opening of the coffee shop? I hope it is going well. Anyway, congratulations! I’m sorry I can’t be there on such beautiful day but know that I am celebrating with you. I am happy for you…so much. And I’ll continue hoping the best for you.

So, what did you name the coffee shop? I am curious coz you never talked about it lol. You don’t have to reply right away. Tomorrow will be fine. Or the next day after that. Or whenever you like. But I’d definitely love to hear from you. –Yama-chan”

 

There was an unconscious smile in Mirai’s lips as she read the entire message. Umika, who has been following her gaze at her, noticed that and a smile grew on her face too.

 

*****

 

It was already 7pm when Ryosuke finished his photoshoot and interview for a magazine. He was already on the van with his manager, still on his semi-formal wear he wore during the interview—white sleeved shirt rolled to his elbows tucked in a pair of black pants and black leather belt and while sneakers. They were ready to fetch Chinen to the headquarters then to the TV network of their variety show.

He was exasperately refreshing through his LINE to see if Mirai already replied. But there was no reply.

Ryosuke: (sighs) I should have not said she doesn’t have to reply right away.

He didn’t even realize that Chinen is already next to him.

Chinen: You really at this, do you?

Ryosuke pulled himself away from Chinen when he got startled.

Ryosuke: You scared me!

Chinen: Well, at least you won’t feel guilty anymore for not making it to the opening.

Ryosuke: I still feel unsatisfied.

Chinen: EEEHHHH??!!

Ryosuke: She didn’t reply.

Chinen hit Ryosuke in the gut making the guy cough.

Chinen: Don’t be too demanding. You’re not her boyfriend, idiot.

Ryosuke: (pouts) Still. Why would she not reply?

Chinen: Because she might be busy with the customers and the guests!? She has priorities!

Ryosuke’s nostrils popped in frustration when Chinen indirectly tells him he is not a priority.

Suddenly, their manager’s phone rang and he talked to the person on the line while Chinen was on his phone while Ryosuke still sulking.

The manager ended the call and turned to Chinen and Ryosuke in the backseat.

Manager-san: The filming is postponed.

Ryosuke: Eh?

Chinen: Why?

Manager: I talked to one of the producers. They said some technical problems. The filming will be rescheduled tomorrow.

Chinen: (sighs) Guess I’d be home ear—

Ryosuke: Can you give me a ride?

Manager: Eh?

Chinen: Oi Ryosuke!

Chinen immediately knew what the guy intended to do.

Ryosuke: It’s just Kanagawa. Approximately 45 minutes. You can drop me in the first bus stop once we’re in Ayase. My destination is a walk away by then.

Manager: (sighs) Okay then.

Chinen: Oi! What about me?

Ryosuke grinned at Chinen and bowed at him with a troubled smile.

 

 

It was less than 45 minutes ride when they arrive in the first bus stop of the prefecture. Ryosuke grabbed the door of the van ready to leave.

Chinen: Are you sure you are fine here?

Ryosuke: (nods) Yeah. Thanks for the ride. (smiles)

He bowed at them before he started running to his destination.

Chinen scratched his nape as Ryosuke was getting farther.

Chinen: I don’t know what he is really up to. Getting all hyped like that. (sighs) You better not be running into danger, Ryosuke.

The van finally drove to the direction back to Tokyo.

 

Ryosuke was panting as he finally arrived in front of the coffee shop. The welcome board was not outside. The lights inside are closed and the only lights on where the street lights and the signage of the shop.

A smile grew in Ryosuke’s lips behind his pants when he read the signage on top of the coffee shop.

[みらい] The signage says “MIRAI” in hiragana.

Ryosuke put his hands in his pockets, managing his pants, still looking at the coffee shop’s name.

Suddenly small, slow footsteps can be heard behind him. But he was too amused to notice that Mirai was behind him, surprisingly looking at him.

She was staring at his back and how his shoulders move with his little pants. Strangely… she felt so happy to see him... so happy she may cry. She heaved deep to relax her heart.

That was then Ryosuke realized someone was behind him. When he slowly turned halfway, enough to see Mirai looking back at him. The gentle cold wind blew her long hair and her while dress.

They never said a word as they remained looking each other’s eyes.

 


TO BE CONTINUED...