Better With You

10 Years After That Day

Konno Ayuri stiffened on her toes and she tried to relax her agitation.

Ryo: Ayuri!

Ryo screamed his name making the girl flinch.

Ayuri: I was helping you! I am helping you without losing you, Ryo.

Ryo glared at his woman.

Ayuri: You thought I didn’t know? I know you were planning to get back to her! Because of your ambition! You are getting rid of me, aren’t you?! (laughs) Mirai-san was always right about your selfishness! But I never cared because I love you and I am willing to do anything just to be with you.

Ryo shook his head.

Ayuri: So I contacted someone from the tabloid. I gave them some photos of you that night when Yamada Ryosuke hit you in the face. Yes! I followed you that night, Ryo. I saw you holding her…begging her to comeback.

Tears fell on her face.

Ayuri: Am I brilliant?! (laughs) I turned the tables for you. Now, you’re back on track. Everybody is convinced it’s not you who cheated. The news is spreading fast like wildfire.

Ryo: I did not ask you to do that!

Ayuri: Aren’t you happy? Mirai-san and Yamada-san are now in trouble. You are regaining the trust of the board. You won’t need her anymore and you won’t have to leave me.

Ayuri held both Ryo’s shoulder and leaned closer to him.

Ayuri: Isn’t this what you want, Ryo? (rubs his shoulder)

Ryo: Get out.

Ayuri: What?!

Ryo: I said get out!!!

Ayuri flinched when he started to scream in her face, pointing at the door.

*****

 

Mirai ran to the door when she heard it clicked, indicating Ryosuke had arrived.

Ryosuke: (smiles) I’m home.

Mirai: Welcome back.

Ryosuke growled when he stood up after removing his shoes. While Mirai was staring at him worriedly.

He immediately took her hand and walked her to the living room.

Ryosuke: What’s with that look?

Mirai: I was worried about you.

Ryosuke sat on the couch and invited Mirai to sit next to him.

Ryosuke: I’m okay. (smiles) I managed. JUMP helped me…a lot. I don’t know what they did but it seemed the internet is clear.

Mirai: (smiles) Aren’t you lucky to have them?

Ryosuke: I am. So do not worry anymore. And they let me address the issue myself too so I was able to settle the misunderstanding. I guess our fans grew mature over the time. Well, to be pretty fair, there are still those who doesn’t approve that I am dating.

Mirai: Well, I expected that.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Everytime will be okay soon. It’s already starting to be okay, so don’t worry.

Mirai: (smiles) Thank you…Ryosuke.

Ryosuke was surprised when she called him in his first name.

Ryosuke: (smiles widely) Y-You called me—

Mirai chuckled.

Ryosuke: I thought it’s gonna be gradual.

Mirai: Yes. I am just practicing. (grins)

Ryosuke who was just staring at her with a smile on his face, slowly leaned closer to her for a kiss when they heard a clank on the kitchen.

Umika: Sorry I dropped the pan!

Saaya and Suzuka pressed their lips together as they tried so much not to laugh. Umika purposely drop the pan on the sink.

Suzuka: (whispers) Why did you do that?

Saaya: (whispers) Seriously tho Umika.

Umika: (whispers) They were about to make out! It’s weird that we are here, isn’t it?

Ryosuke: Oh, you girls are there! (grins embarrassingly) I forgot I told you to accompany Mirai today.

He rubbed his nape.

Ryosuke: Thank you about that, anyway.

Umika: No worries!

Ryosuke: (whispers) Has they been there all along?

Mirai: (nods) They are helping me cook dinner.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

Ryosuke: Who’s this? (stands) I told the security to be aware of anyone. Some media poses as visitors.

Suzuka, Umika and Saaya get out of the kitchen.

Ryosuke checked on the security front door camera when suddenly a sigh of relief escaped from his mouth. He opened the door.

Kamiki: Surpriiiiseeee!!!

Ryosuke: Ryu. (sighs) How did you get in?

Kamiki walked passed Ryosuke.

Kamiki: Have you not remember the receptionist loves me? She’s a fan of mine.

Ryosuke closed the door, tilting his head.

Kamiki: Mirai!!! (beams excitedly) Oh-oh! You girls are here too!

Umika: Kamiki-kun. (sighs) You are really weird, aren’t you?

Kamiki: Here comes Umika and her bluntness!

Umika: It’s not time for you be smile so excitedly, read the atmosphere you know.

Kamiki: Of course I know that is happening. (pouts) But…I have something that might make things better.

Mirai: Huh? What?

Kamiki’s face became serious as he looked at his friends.

Ryosuke: What did you do?

Kamiki: I called someone who can help us.

Umika: Who?

Kamiki: A friend from the competing tabloid.

Umika: Another tabloid company?

Kamiki: (nods) Tabloids are in tight competition as you know. So, my idea was to get the competing tabloid to write the real story.

Ryosuke: You mean you want us to acknowledge an interview from a tabloid?

Mirai: Your agency wouldn’t agree on that. Official agencies don’t usually cooperate with tabloid companies.

Kamiki: No. (looks at Ryosuke and Mirai) I will.

Mirai: Miki.

Kamiki: My identity will be confidential. Nobody will know I’m the source. But I will make sure that people will believe me more than whoever is the source of the first article.

Umika: You’re crazy, Kamiki-kun.

A gradual smile on Umika’s face.

Umika: You’re brilliant!

Suzuka and Saaya looked at Umika.

Kamiki: That…is if Yama-chan and Mirai approves.

Mirai: You are really gonna do that?

Ryosuke sighed and batted his eyes before he looked at Kamiki.

Ryosuke: The agency wouldn’t like it but…(nods) I’ll take your help Ryu.

Kamiki: (smiles) I have one more thing to add.

All their eyes on Kamiki.

Kamiki: I am confirming it’s Mirai.

The girls look at each other.

Suzuka: Do you think you have to? I mean…wouldn’t it be dangerous for Mirai?

Kamiki looked at Ryosuke making the guy look back at him.

Ryosuke: (nods) I’ll take care of Mirai.

A smile grew on Kamiki’s face.

Umika: (sighs) You better not mess up, Kamiki-kun.

Kamiki: (grins) Leave it to me.

Suzuka: Since when did you become reliable?

Saaya: Kamiki-kun! Ganbatte!

Kamiki grinned before he turned to Ryosuke in wonder.

Kamiki: Why did you punch Ryusei Ryo anyway? Coz that I cannot explain.

Ryosuke tilted his head.

Kamiki: You owe me a story to tell.

 

*****

 

Mirai was on her phone, looking at the city lights outside the glass window of Ryosuke’s unit. Their friends have left after dinner.

Miyuu: (on the line) Are you okay?

Mirai: (nods) Yeah. Better. (sighs) How about mom and dad? Did they know?

Miyuu: I don’t think they know. They have not read the article. And you’re not named in the article anyway.

Mirai: (sighs) They’d know it soon. Uuugghhh! I wanted to tell them about this myself…but I guess I could not have that chance anymore.

Miyuu: Hey onee-chan, do not stress it okay? I’ll take care of mom and dad. Just focus on yourself for now.

Mirai: (nods) Thank you Miyuu.

Miyuu: Anyway… (smiles) I am really happy that Yamada Ryosuke-niisan is taking care of you.

Mirai: (smiles) He is. I just really hope this does not affect his career.

Miyuu: Ne, onee-chan…he is a good person. I know everything will be okay soon.

Mirai smiled.

Miyuu: Are you spending the night in his place?

Mirai: (nods) Mhm. I don’t have a choice. I can’t go home yet. I’m prolly stuck here.

Miyuu giggled teasingly.

Miyuu: Enjoy~

Mirai: Idiot.

The phone call ended when suddenly Ryosuke stood next to her, looking at the city lights while one hand rubbing a towel on his hair and one hand tucking a towel and a shirt.

Ryosuke: Are they worried about you?

Mirai: Seems like mom and dad are still clueless. Miyuu was taking care of it.

Ryosuke nodded.

Mirai picked the towel and the shirt tucked in Ryosuke’s hand.

Mirai: Thanks.

She was about to leave when she remembered something.

Mirai: Ah. (turns to Ryosuke) I forgot to tell you.

Ryosuke: (raises brows) Mhm?

Mirai: (sighs) I sneak with the girls this morning. (presses her lips together before continuing) I met Ryo.

Ryosuke just look at her before he blinked and nodded.

Mirai: I guess he really had something to do with it.

Ryosuke nodded abruptly before a grin grew on his face.

Ryosuke: Did you threw a tantrum at him?

Mirai briefly chuckles.

Mirai: You bet.

Ryosuke slowly stepped closer to her and gave her a hug.

Ryosuke: (grins teasingly) I know you love me but I wouldn’t like you running into danger without me.

Mirai let out a brief chuckle. After all, he always had that ability to make things lighter.

Mirai: You’re sleeping in the couch.

Ryosuke: Eh?

 

 

Ryosuke was in front of the TV, watching showbiz news waiting for anything about him. it was relief when only JUMP’s new single was reported and nothing else unnecessary. Afterall tabloid news remain in tabloids.

Suddenly Mirai went out of the shower wearing Ryosuke’s shirt.

Ryosuke can’t help but notice how small her girlfriend is that his shirt looked like a one-piece on her.

Ryosuke: (stares) You are getting used to wearing my shirt, aren’t you? (grins)

Mirai: Eh? I don’t have a choice, have I?

She joined him in the couch, watching TV.

Ryosuke: We’ll, you have been wearing my hoodie for quite awhile so…

Mirai slowly turned her head to his direction with a frown on her face.

Ryosuke was grinning as he kept his eyes on the TV.

But it surprised him when she did not scream at him, or hit him or even say a word.

Ryosuke: (turns head to Mirai) Wait! You actually—

Mirai rested her chin on her knees as she pulled them on the couch.

Mirai: 3 years.

Ryosuke: Eh?

Mirai’s eyes were glued on the TV while she talked.

Mirai: I was supposed to stop when I started dating Ryo. But I find myself occasionally wearing it on random days.

Ryosuke can only stare at her, surprised.

Mirai: I don’t know why. I only finally forgot wearing your hoodie when I finally fell in love with him.

Ryosuke: You mean—

Mirai finally look at Ryosuke.

Mirai: So to really answer your question from before…if the thought of you crossed my mind when I am with Ryo? (nods) Yeah. I occasionally remember you. You’re my first love after all.

Ryosuke kept his eyes on her.

Mirai: So when you said in your official statement awhile ago…that I am your first love too…it relieved me. (smiles) That you truly loved me when you first told me you were.

He suddenly held her hand, leaning closer to her.

Ryosuke: I never lie when I say I love you…eversince my first I love you, I never stopped loving you.

Mirai put her hands on his shoulder, then run them through his neck, her thumb massaging his jawline. She slowly moved closer to him, lifting her body as she kneeled in front of him, looking at his eyes.

His hands on her waist. She slid her arms on his back, now hugging him. Then slowly, she pulled from the hug and moved her face infront his, looking back at his eyes.

Mirai: (whispers) Don’t look at me like that. You are still sleeping in the couch.

Ryosuke can only grin widely as Mirai got off from the couch.

Mirai smiled teasingly.

Mirai: Good night, Yamada Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Not even a kiss? No?

Mirai opened the door of the room.

Mirai: (smiles) Good night.

*****

 

It was already 10 in the morning, Chinen panickly ran inside the JUMP room. He found all members gather around Daiki who was using the laptop.

Chinen: Another article?! (pants) Why the hell?!

Yuto: It finally named Mirai-chan.

Chinen: No way!!!

Chinen shove the members in front of him to see the monitor.

Inoo: Ouch! Would you chill a bit, Chii?

Chinen: Who did this?!

Yuto: It’s the whole story—the real story at that.

Yabu: But it has better responses. After the statement from Yama-chan, everyone seemed to give positive comments about this too.

Chinen: Really?

Yabu: (nodded) We checked online and a lot congratulated Yama-chana and Mirai-chan.

Yuya: Inoo’s tweets also helped I guess. Him ranting—posing as a fan—that actually persuade a lot to think the same. (laughs)

Inoo: (smiles) Our fans are actually more understanding than before. I guess 7 members getting married trained them to be more accepting with our poor Yama-chan. (laughs)

Daiki: Apparently, their only issue is Mirai being married and the possibility that it was an affair. But now that Yama-chan cleared things plus this tabloid article giving us such cute love story…I think things are settled.

Hikaru: Speaking of cute love story…(looks at the monitor) the part where Ryosuke punched the ex-husband is written in such a prince-charming-ish way. It feels so surreal but people thinks Yama-chan as a real prince, do they? (laughs)

Yuto: (laughs) I like that part.

Yuya: And oh, the indirect the-one-that-got-away plot. So good!

Hikaru: The childhood friends to lovers never grow old.

Inoo: Too cheesy but people like cheesy. (grins)

Daiki: (laughs) They really do.

The rest of JUMP laughed along.

Yabu: Who sourced this anyway?

They can only shrug.

 

 

*****

 

Mirai had her hand on as she reads the article. Her eyes were teary and she was pursing her lips together behind her hand. When suddenly she bursted out of laughter.

Mirai: Mikiiiiiiiiiii!

Ryosuke joined laughing.

Ryosuke: He just made a fairytale-like story out of us.

Mirai: It’s too cheesy…is it?

Ryosuke: Yeah. But the article did not lie. Just…the way it’s written is so dramatic.

Mirai: (laughs) Like a movie kind of dramatic.

Ryosuke chuckled as he placed their meal in the dining table. They were just about to have their brunch when the article was published.

Ryosuke: But people are liking it.

Mirai: Yeah…(sighs) That’s a breather.

Ryosuke sat on the chair across her.

Ryosuke: I almost even call for a press conference.

Mirai: What?! (chuckles)

Ryosuke: (laughs) I panicked for awhile when they started talking bad about you. But I get snapped by the bosses.

Mirai: It’s okay now. (smiles) Thanks to everyone and thank you.

Ryosuke: Ah…about Ryusei.

Mirai: Mhm?

Ryosuke: His cheating was not in the article.

Mirai: (nods) I told Miki to not mention about it. Nor any details about him. After all, I don’t wanna play it dirty like he did.

Ryosuke: Do you think he can really do this?

Mirai: I actually can’t believe he can but only he has the motive to.

Ryosuke: I don’t know…(sighs) I hate the guy but would he ever wanna publish a photo of him being smacked in the face, wouldn’t he? Well, his face was pixelated in the article but he was still punched. I don’t think his ego can afford to. (laughs)

Mirai laughed.

Ryosuke’s laugh subsided as he started eating while Mirai had to think of the possibility.

Mirai: Anyway, how long should I stay here?

Ryosuke: That actually would depend on how long will people fuss about this current situation and… (smirks) depends on how long would you wanna stay with me.

Mirai frown for a while when she decided to go along his teasing. She put her chopsticks down and stared at Ryosuke with a teasing smile.

Mirai: More like how long are you willing to sleep in the couch.

There was a gradual smile on Ryosuke’s face as Mirai playfully grinned at him.

Ryosuke: Ah. So you’re making fun of the fact that you made me sleep in the couch last night eh?

Mirai shrugged playfully. Suddenly Ryosuke stood from his seat and grabbed Mirai and carried her.

Mirai: Yama-chan! I am eating!

There was laughter as he princess-carried her while her hands on his shoulder.

Mirai: Wait! Put me down!

He only put her down when they got in the couch, laying Mirai while Ryosuke sat on the space on her side, leaning down at her.

Ryosuke: The next time I am sleeping in the couch I am dragging you along with me.

He leaned closer when Mirai covered .

Mirai: There’s food stuck in my teeth right now.

That made Ryosuke laughed as he tried to remove her hand while she refused.

Mirai: Stop. (chuckles) Stop.