Back in Town

10 Years After That Day

Chinen (on the phone): Are you sure you want to do this?

Ryosuke: I just did.

 

Ryosuke went out of his car and stand in front of the old house he grew up in. Looking up at it while a hand on his phone. He breathed deep.

Ryosuke: Chii. I will call you again later. Bye.

 

Before the guy can even say his goodbye, Ryosuke had already turn off his phone and proceeded in pressing the doorbell. Later, the gate automatically opened and he went inside his car again and drive it inside the garage.

 

Yamada-okaasan: (smiles widely) You did not say anything about being early.

Ryosuke: Sorry mom, I actually drove in a terrible high speed, that’s why.

He was hit in the shoulder by the older lady.

Yamada-okaasan: I told you it’s better be slow and safe than fast and dead.

Ryosuke: Lucky, I am fast and alive! (laughs)

 

Inside the house, Ryosuke immediately threw his bag on the couch and roamed his sight around. He let out a sigh.

Ryosuke: Nothing has actually change a lot in here, huh?

Yamada-okaasan: Your dad and I wanted to keep it as how it was when you were kids. It makes us less miss you and your sisters.

Ryosuke: Speaking of dad, where is he?

Yamada-okaasan: In the restaurant.

Ryosuke: He still manages the restaurant? I thought I was clear when I told him to just relax at home and let the crew do it for him. He is not getting any younger.

 

The older woman who was preparing the dining table for lunch smiled after putting a bowl of stew down.

Yamada-okaasan: Talking about not getting any younger…when do you plan of giving us a grandchild? (she says teasingly)

The 37-year-old guy had just to raise a brow at her mother.

Ryosuke: Seriously mom?

Yamada-okaasan: (sighs) Yeah I know the nature of your work. I know your agency’s rules. I was the one who was constantly reminding you to follow them but you can’t always just be your nieces’ and nephew’s baby-sitter and pamper-uncle, right?

Ryosuke: (smiles) I love pampering my little angels. I am happy with that. I don’t mind baby-sitting.

His mother walked closer to her only boy and hugged his arm which made Ryosuke smile at the sudden gesture of his mother.

Ryosuke: Onee-chan and Misaki had already given you beautiful grandchildren, I am sure they are enough for now.

Yamada-okaasan: (nods) I just thought life is a little unfair for you. Chihiro got married 15 years ago, have 2 beautiful children, and Misaki too. She’s younger than you but her daughter is already 10 years old. And here you are, having a vacation in your parents’ old house.

Ryosuke: (laughs) I don’t know if I should be touched or insulted right now, mom.

Yamada-okaasan: (laughs) Why don’t you bring your stuff up in your room before we fill your belly with your favorite stew I made.

Ryosuke: Yum! I’d love that.

The woman then shoved Ryosuke to get his things.

 

*****

 

It was already dark when Ryosuke decided to dial Chinen for a little update. They could have been in their late-thirties but they still update each other like usual since childhood.

Ryosuke sat on the edge of his bed.

Ryosuke: Hey!

Chinen: Hey! So…?

Ryosuke: Good so far. Was just looking around the house and found some old stuffs. Kinda liked reminiscing for now.

 

Chinen laughed behind the phone.

Chinen: Just now, you’re definitely sounding like an old man.

Ryosuke: (laughs) Right. My 17-year-old self must have been shocked I gotten older.

Chinen: He must have been proud of himself for surviving all those years, surely.

Ryosuke: (laughs) That dork sure is. By the way, what did the agency think about my sudden leave?

Chinen: Oh that. (sighs) The board was frantic about it but Kekeke, yes, stood up for you. You’re always going to be his favorite.

Ryosuke: (smiles) That guy. He is pretty reliable sometimes.

Chinen: You better make this break worth for rejecting two movies, a drama and never-ending magazine photoshoots. Oh and variety shows.

Ryosuke: I’m sure it will. I just really need this.

Chinen: (sighs) I understand. Well then, my good old friend, enjoy your vacation.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Thanks a lot Chii. Send my regards to JUMP. And Kekeke.

 

After the call, Ryosuke back slump on his old bed. It’s weird how everything seems the same. The glow-in-the-dark stickers on his ceiling were still there. He turned his head to the left where his study table is. He lifted himself up and walked towards it. He unconsciously smiled at the old stuffs on it. He looked up a small board and there were photos stuck on it.

He smiled. It felt good having to worry nothing and just smile unconsciously with himself. He almost forgot how it feels like.

 

*****

 

The next day, Ryosuke started the day jogging outside. It has been ages since he jogged outdoor peacefully. The small town is such an escape from stardom and such bullsht.

He jogged along his mother’s dog, Kenta, which by his name implies is a large strong, healthy St. Bernard. It doesn’t like a lot of activity and refuses to ran along Ryosuke after just few minutes.

Ryosuke: (pants) Are you sure you don’t need this exercise, big guy? (sighs) Fine.

 

He crouched down and tied Kenta’s leash in a leg of a bench on the sidewalk. He frantically stood up when a crazily driven car was approaching his direction. Lucky enough, the driver has still in control and didn’t hit his perfectly displayed .

Ryosuke: Nope. Nope. I can’t leave you here, now that I know crazy cars come by in this place.

He said, pulling Kenta again. This time just walking casually home.

 

*****

 

No. No. No. NO!

Meanwhile a panicky voice of a woman inside a crazily-driven car can be heard. On the driver seat, there was a loud laugh.

Miyu: (laughs) That was so close!

Mirai: You almost ran over a person just seconds ago!

Miyu: Just the ! Not the entire man.

Mirai: (sighs) No. No. We are not doing this anymore. Stop the car, Miyu.

Miyu: But Onee-chan~!

Mirai: Miyu!

Then there is a sudden brake. Making the lady shut her eyes intensely.

Mirai: (sighed) I’m off here.

Miyu: You sure? I mean, the house is streets... Like STREETS away, Mirai-nee.

Mirai: I will be fine. Better than being in this car driven by you, obviously. (sigh) I also need a little walk. (opens the car door, then closes it)

Miyu: Where are you going?

Mirai: (shrugs)

Miyu: (sighs and looks worried) If you need someone to be with, to talk to, I am here okay?

Mirai: (gently smiles and nods) I know.

 

Upon understanding her elder sister just wanted to be alone, Miyu went on still crazily driving her car. Mirai face-palmed.

Mirai: How did she even got her license?

 

*****

 

Ryosuke tied Kenta’s leash outside the house. He entered through the back door and was greeted by his mother in the kitchen cooking some breakfast.

 

Yamada-okaasan: You’re back early.

Ryosuke: Apparently yes. Your dog isn’t so into sweating up and I almost got ran over by car.

He opened the fridge and got a glass of water. He took a couple of gulps and went to the living room to reach for the dumbbell and started lifting.

Yamada-okaasan: We still can’t call it a bad day yet, right?

Ryosuke: (pants with a smile) You’re right.

 

He puts the dumbbell down.

Ryosuke: What do we have for breakfast?

 

It was 10:00 am and Ryosuke just got out of the shower. He was in his plain white shirt and grey sweat pants. He found his mom in the living room in front of her computer, talking to someone. He popped behind her and checked who was online. It was Chihiro, his older sister.

Chihiro: Oi Ryosuke!

Ryosuke: (waved) Hey.

Chihiro: What’s up with you? Taking a leave seems to be off from your vocabulary. What happened?

Ryosuke: Nothing, really. I just wanted a break. Yeah, doesn’t sound like me but yes you are hearing it right. I am staying a month so… I’ll just enjoy my life.

Chihiro: (smiles) I am actually happy my little brother is treating himself. (teases)

Ryosuke: Right. It’s not like I have been torturing myself, is it?

Chihiro: Kinda though.

Ryosuke: Okay…? (laughs) I’ll just grab some drinks at the konbini. Mom only has milk and I think for a 37-year-old grown man, milk isn’t it.

Yamada-obaasan: But you’re always be my little boy.

Ryosuke: Funny, mom. (smiles) Bye.

 

Ryosuke stormed out of the house and rubbed Kenta’s head before opening the gate.

Ryosuke: You are not coming this time, big guy. I guess that is a good news, huh?

 

As Ryosuke walked, he abruptly smiled to himself as he realized he has no sunglasses or mask on. He is bare Yamada Ryosuke on the streets. Like, wow! It felt great! Having not to worry about his life is just pure freedom! Gradually the smiling turned to laughing, and thank god no one is around to see him laughing alone like crazy.

 

His laugh slowly subsided as he saw a woman in her yellow and white striped top and blue boyfriend jeans standing in the middle of the road just two meters away from him. He observed the woman for a moment. And he knew at that time, it is her.

 

TO  BE CONTINUED...