05 Girlfriend Out of Nowhere

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Fantasy, Fluff, Romance, School

Summary: What if a peach flavored drink made a random girl appear out of nowhere claiming to be Chaewon’s girlfriend? What will happen next?

Word Count: 12022

Hashtag: #SSBB_GfOutOfNowhere

 

Girlfriend Out of Nowhere

 

"Why did I even bother inviting you guys?" Chaewon said, face palming herself as different noises around her can be heard along with the tv playing in the background.

It was a Saturday night and Chaewon had the idea of inviting her friends over for a movie night. The idea was good and all, with her friends agreeing on coming, finally deciding on what movies to watch, what to bring as they come over for the night, but Chaewon overlooked one thing-- her friends consisted of couples. Each one taken by another, except for Chaewon herself.

They were supposed to watch movies all night and maybe play a few games after if they still weren't tired. Again, supposed to. Chaewon's whole plan of a relaxing and fun Saturday night turned into an unfortunate, awful, displeasing evening. Well, at least for her, since she was the only one who wasn't busy being all 'lovey-dovey' with someone.

Everyone around her was occupied being in their own little world. Hyewon and Eunbi were on the couch with Eunbi's head on Hyewon's lap as Hyewon feeds her some chips, Yena and Yuri were sprawled on the floor with a tickle war happening between them, and lastly, Yujin and Minjoo were on the couch next to her with Yujin teaching Minjoo how to play PUBG on her phone.

Chaewon was the only one among her friends who was actually watching the movie. She ran her hand through her hair in frustration. "This is not how I pictured my Saturday night to turn out." She said, leaning her head back on the sofa behind her where Hyewon and Eunbi were sitting.

Chaewon decided to look at the ceiling above than to look anywhere beside her with all the couples around. She was about to close her eyes when a pillow was thrown at her direction. "Hey! What was that about?" Chaewon yelped out. It was Eunbi who threw the pillow at her.

"Oh, sorry." Eunbi says before sitting up to take a better look at the girl beside her. "I kept calling your name but you wouldn't look and I didn't want to get up from my position." Chaewon was now glaring at the older. She tried to look angry by knitting her eyebrows together and showing Eunbi a huge frown that later on turned into a pout.

 

"Wait, no. Don't do that face. It makes me forget what I was about to say." Eunbi cackled out. Chaewon's expression then turned into a bored one. "So did you need anything or were you just gonna laugh until tomorrow?"

Eunbi stopped from laughing, clearing in the process. "I remember now. We're out of chips. Would you mind buying one for us?" She asked the younger who was still wearing a bored expression. "Why don't you get one yourself? There's a store three blocks away from here. It isn't much of a hassle." She says before facing the screen, trying to watch the movie again.

"Oh please, please, Chaewon-ah. I want to buy one myself but Hyewon asked me not to go anywhere. She said I should just stay right by her side even if we ran out of chips and now, I can't buy one." Eunbi showed her best puppy eyes to Chaewon to let her agree. Chaewon let out a big sigh, muttering something like couples under her breath, before standing up. "Fine. Give me the money, I'll go buy one."

Eunbi bounced in her seat happily before getting money out of her bag. "Here you go. Make sure to be back before midnight, and thanks again." She kissed Chaewon on the cheek with Chaewon wiping it. "She should've at least left the kissing part to Hyewon." She muttered, wearing her long-padded coat, and eventually leaving the house.

                                                                        * * *


Chaewon walked three blocks away from her house when she saw that the store that she was about to go to was already closed. It was a chilly night outside and it was already late out, making all the stores near her house closed. Chaewon rubbed her palms together to refrain herself from getting cold. "I shouldn't have agreed to this. I didn't know it was already late."

She walked back to the direction of her house and focused on nothing but getting home. It was starting to get chilly and Chaewon wanted nothing more than to be back in the comfort of her home. Just as she was about to cross the street, she saw a convenience store on her left that was still open. "Huh, I never noticed there was a store like this here before." There was a red neon sign next to the door that read, 'Open 24 Hours'. Chaewon walked inside the store to buy the chips that Eunbi wanted.

There was no one else inside the store, only the old man who was at the cash register. Chaewon went to the food section, retrieved the chips, and went to pay for it. She put the chips on the counter and pulled her phone out from her pocket. There was a message from Eunbi asking her where she was. She replied back saying she's almost home and that she already got the chips. Eunbi sent another message to her. It was a pic of her and Hyewon with the caption, 'Thanks~ We can't wait for those chips ♡'

 

Chaewon sighed seeing the pic of two. "They really just can't get enough of each other." She says, shaking her head.

"You seem to be down, young lady." Says the old man as he finished putting the chips in a bag. "Oh." Chaewon looked up from her phone. She didn't know that the old man would notice this.

"Ah, it's nothing." She says, "My friends are just being silly." The old man gave her a soft smile, studying Chaewon's expression. "I know what could cheer you up." He stood up from the counter, went inside the storage room, and went out with a drink on his hand. He put it in front of Chaewon.

Chaewon looked at what the old man had brought. It was a can of juice. She took hold of the drink and tried to see what it was. It had a huge brand name written on it in Japanese in which she didn't understand. It was the size of a coke in can with a pink rim and there was a picture of a peach on it, meaning it was peach flavored.

"I'm sorry sir but what is this? And what does it say?" Chaewon politely asked to the old man while putting down the can. "As you may know, that is a drink. It's our best seller. You see this writing over here." The old man took the drink and pointed at the kanji on the can. "It says, 'Take a sip and see what happens next.' Our customers loved this tagline so much that this drink ended up becoming our best one yet."

Chaewon nodded at what the old man had said. "Here, take this." The old man gave her the drink. "A little something to lift up your mood." Chaewon was a bit surprised on the old man giving her something like that. "O-oh, thank you sir. How much for the drink?" She asked as she already paid for the chips.

"On the house." The old man said giving Chaewon a smile. Chaewon can only thank the old man again. He didn't know why he was being friendly but still, she was thankful for the drink. The old man's intentions were clear, he just wanted Chaewon not to feel down anymore.

Chaewon grabbed the chips and also the drink. He gave the old man a one last thanks before going on her way.

                                                                        * * *


Coming home from her little getaway, Chaewon found her friends finally watching the movie. The only thing was they were all cuddling, specifically the couples. In other words, all of them. Chaewon huffs before going to Eunbi's side. "Here you go." She lazily says, giving her the chips as she went up to her room.

 

"Hey, Chaewon. Don't you want to come watch with us?" Yelled her ducky friend who was busy cuddling with a hamster. "No, thank you. I'd rather stay up here studying. Enjoy your night and don't forget to lock the doors on your way out." Chaewon tells her friend as she was already in the middle of the staircase.

All six of them looked at each other. "What's with her?" Yujin whispered. The others shrugged in response. "I think she's fine." Says Yena. "She did want us to watch the movie. So I guess... let's continue watching?" All of them agreed on Yena, now looking back at the screen to continue watching the movie.

As Chaewon entered her room, she immediately plopped down on the bed. "Worst decision ever." She says, her voice muffled by the pillow on her face. She then got up and put the drink on her study table.

While doing so, she saw the script for her club. Chaewon was part of the Drama Club and they were preparing for a school play. The characters aren't decided yet, there was still an audition to be held to see who fits the characters well. Chaewon wanted nothing more than to be the lead actress so she did her best in practicing every day.

"I should've practiced my lines than inviting them in." She took the script and scanned through it. Feeling tiredness come over her, she put the script down before laying back down on her bed. She was about to doze off when she remembered the drink the old man gave her.

She stood up, almost immediately, as she grabbed the drink. "He did say this drink will help lift my mood up." Carefully, she opened the canned drink. A sweet aroma filled her room as soon as she opened the can. "Peach flavored. I've never tried something like this before." Slowly, she put the can next to her lips as she drank it. She ended up finishing the whole drink in one go.

"That tasted better than I thought." She wiped with her sleeve. "Hmm, I don't feel any different." She says, trying to see if anything had change. Unfortunately, nothing did. "I guess the old man just wanted to dispose this drink." She tossed the empty can on the trash can next to her study table as she went on her bed, eventually falling asleep.

                                                                        * * *

On mornings, Chaewon goes to the park with her bike to do a morning ride. She does this for exercise and also, seeing nature every morning makes her feel relaxed before facing a whole day ahead.

With her airpods on, she continued on her usual path to the park. There weren't too many people in the park as the sun was just about to rise. Only a few people who were jogging and some who were walking their dogs.

Chaewon didn't mind much on what the others were doing. She immersed herself in her music and biking, not minding other people who were there with her.

She was too engrossed in her own little world that she didn't notice someone calling her. "Chaewon! Chaewonie!" The voice said. She stopped right in her tracks after hearing her name, removing her right airpod as she looked behind her.

As soon as she did, a blonde girl was already walking towards her direction. She looked about the same age as her only, Chaewon was a bit taller. "Chaewon, you're finally here." The girl says happily.

Chaewon looked at the girl confusedly. "I'm sorry, who are you? And how did you know my name?" She asked the girl who was giving her a big smile.

"Oh, I haven't introduced myself yet, sorry." The girl said cutely. She extended her hand out to Chaewon, "I'm Hitomi and I'm your girlfriend." The girl adds, still wearing a smile on her face.

Chaewon's eyes widened upon hearing the world 'girlfriend'. "You're my what now?" Hitomi still had her hand in front of Chaewon on which she still didn't take.

"You're girlfriend, silly." Hitomi says, chuckling a bit. "You seemed kinda lonely seeing how all your friends are taken. And now, I'm here to change that."

Chaewon chuckled bitterly after hearing Hitomi's words. "Did my friends put you up to this? Are they hiding somewhere here waiting for my reaction?" She looked around them to see if her friends were anywhere, only to find out there wasn't anyone who she knew who was in the park that morning.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Hitomi had her eyebrows furrowed, completely unaware of what Chaewon was saying. Chaewon could only scoff at the girl. "I'm sorry, but the show's over. You can stop pretending now." Chaewon had her arms crossed while still balancing herself on her bike.

"Show? What show? There isn't any show. I just wanted you to know that I'm your girlfriend and it'll be better if we start getting to know each other now. The sooner, the better." Even if Chaewon didn't believe in this whole 'girlfriend' thing, she still had to listen on what the girl has to say.

"That's it. I'm out of here." She says, putting back her right airpod as she started pedaling away from the younger. "But you didn't even shake my hand yet." Hitomi shouted to Chaewon who paid no attention to her and kept biking.

 

Hitomi looked down on her hand and pouted. "She didn't even shake my hand."

                                                                        * * *


As Chaewon reached her house, she immediately locked the doors and went to her room. She looked out the window to see if anyone was following her. Fortunately, there were none.

Seeing no one was there, she let out a deep breath that she didn't even knew she was holding. She leaned her back against the wall, letting her body slide until it reaches the floor.

"Why would anyone pretend to be my girlfriend?" She tells herself. "I mean, I know I want one too but I'm not that desperate to pretend to be someone else's." She shook her head almost rapidly. "No, no. That must be some random girl playing pranks on people. But wait, how did she know my name?" As she thought about it, she didn't even tell the girl her name. All she could remember was stopping by when she heard her name being called.

She heaves out a sigh, stood up, finally regaining herself. "I shouldn't think about it too much."

                                                                        * * *


That day, everything went pretty normal for Chaewon. She stayed home the whole day. There weren't much anything to do as it was a Sunday. Everything was exactly the same. No more strangers calling her name, no more blonde girl saying she was her girlfriend, nothing.

Chaewon kept her guard up the whole day, preparing herself for anything that might happen. Lucky for her, nothing ever happened that day.

Even as she does her homework, even as she eats dinner with her parents, even as she prepares herself for bed, nothing. Nothing weird ever happened that made Chaewon feel a little better. She smiled to herself, slowly drifting off to slumber land

Chaewon woke up with the sun ray hitting her face. She looked at the clock and saw that she slept past her alarm. Maybe it was her being all paranoid yesterday that she slept through it.

While preparing herself for school, she hears her name being called by her parents. "Coming!" She answered, now going downstairs.

When she reached the kitchen, she couldn't believe what she was seeing. Together with her parents was the girl from the park yesterday. Specifically, Hitomi.

 

"Oh, there you are." Her mom said. "This is Hitomi." She glanced at the girl next to her. "She's an exchange student from Japan and she chose us to be the host family to take her in. She'll be staying with us until she finishes the school year."

"Wait, you signed us up as a host family?" Chaewon asked her mom who was busy smiling at the girl. "I didn't know too." Her mom said enthusiastically. "I must've signed us up without remembering it. But, she's here now and that's all that matters."

"But you can't even remember it! We don't know if what she's saying is true. Maybe she's just fooling us!" Chaewon tried to reason out. One day she's claiming to be her girlfriend and now, she's claiming to be an exchange student.

"Now, now honey. Don't be rude to our guest." His dad butted in. "Can you please show her the room she'll be staying in?" Chaewon tried to think of a good answer back but seeing the look her parents were giving her, she knew she didn't have a choice.

"Fine." She huffs out. "But wait, what room will she be using? We don't have any more rooms except for the storage room next to mine."

Her parents smiled at her sheepishly. "Well, you know where your brother sleeps before he went to college?" Chaewon tried to think where that was, until it hit her. "Wait no no no, not in my room. I couldn't possibly share a room with a stranger, not to mention yesterday when she--" She stopped midsentence seeing how her dad was looking at her sternly.

"Okay, fine. Come along, I'll show you your room." Chaewon said to the younger, with no emotions in her voice.
 

When they were finally in her room, Chaewon showed Hitomi her bed. It was a mattress next to Chaewon's bed. The mattress was on the floor as it didn't have a bed frame to be put in.

Hitomi thank the older for doing so. But before Hitomi could even react, Chaewon was already looking at her harshly. "Okay, I don't know what your plan is or whatever but all I know is that you're hiding something." Chaewon was staring at Hitomi that much that Hitomi would probably melt by the second.

Hitomi chuckled at her. "Chaewon, I'm not hiding something. Why would I lie to my girlfriend?" Hitomi says cheerfully. Chaewon was left dumbfounded. She was surprised that Hitomi would even mention it again. She thought she wouldn't bring it up anymore now that they'll be living in the same house.

 

Chaewon went closer to the younger and held her shoulders. "For the last time, I am not your girlfriend. Don't call me that in front of my parents, in front of my friends, or even anywhere else." She shaked it gently but with a little force. "Now go wash up. We need to be in school in ten minutes." She released Hitomi's shoulders and went out the room. Hitomi could only smile. "But I am your girlfriend. You'll see."

                                                                        * * *

After another unexpected meeting between the two, they were finally getting along. Well, you can call it getting along if it means Chaewon touring Hitomi around the school spiritless and just pointing to whatever they see, not even pointing out the important places in the school.

Before the first class started, the two stopped by Chaewon's locker first. As if it wasn't a coincidence enough, the locker next to Chaewon's was vacant and that is where Hitomi will be staying. Also, Chaewon and her shared the same classes, even their schedules were alike.

Chaewon swore that this girl is bad news, that there is something fishy about her. Nonetheless, she kept shut.

Approaching the first class is easy. There weren't many students around as Chaewon went to her usual seat. Hitomi followed after Chaewon and sat beside her. Chaewon couldn't care less. She put her head down and decided to take a quick nap.

It seemed like Chaewon has forgot that her friends were in the same class as her. A hand tapped Chaewon's back that woke her up from her slumber.

"Chaewon-ah, who's that girl on my chair?" Yena asked, her friend which also happened to be her seatmate. Behind Yena, her other friends were there, looking at Chaewon expectantly.

Chaewon's eyes widened as she looked at the girl beside her who was busy scanning her textbook.

Chaewon cleared before answering. "Oh, I don't know. She must be a new transfer." She tells her friend in a nervous tone.

"Oh. Then I'll go talk to her now." Yena says, going over to her seat to talk to the girl. Chaewon was about to refuse but the older was already on the other side, talking to Hitomi.

"Hello there. You must be new. I'm Yena and it appears you got my seat there." Yena chuckles after saying.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know. Chaewon didn't tell me anything so I thought this seat wasn't taken." Hitomi says, about to stand up when Yena stopped her. "W-wait, you know Chaewon?"

As Chaewon heard her name, she bolted straight to their direction. "Haha... what about me?"

Yena looked at her with narrowed eyes. "You said she was a new transfer and that you don't know who she was. How come she knows your name?" Chaewon scratched the back of her head, unable to think of a reply.

"Ah, I know Chaewon because I'm currently staying at their house. And yes, I am a new transfer." Hitomi extended her hand out to Yena. "I'm Hitomi and I'm Chaewon's girl--" Hitomi was cut off when a hand flew to , stopping her from continuing.

"Oh, silly me." Chaewon says, still covering Hitomi's mouth with her hand. "I must've forgot. Well, you can go ahead now." Chaewon tells Yena as her friends started to crowd next to them.

"Did I hear it right? Was the new transfer saying something about being Chaewon's girlfriend?" Yuri suddenly says, now behind Yena.

"I didn't quite catch it. Can you repeat that again?" Yena tells the younger. Hitomi removed Chaewon's hand from and was about to speak when Chaewon grabbed her by the arm and pulled her outside the room. "Yah! Chaewon! Why do you keep cutting her off?!" Yelled Yena as the two already went out.

"What was that about--" "Okay you listen to me." Chaewon says seriously as she faced Hitomi. "What did I tell you about going around telling people that you're my girlfriend?"

Hitomi seemed to think for a moment. "Uhm... that I shouldn't call you my girlfriend?" Hitomi says innocently. Chaewon knew that being angry at her wouldn't do any good. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath in then releasing it.

"You seem to understand what I said earlier. I don't wanna get angry at you. Now please, just listen to what I said. This wouldn't turn out good if we keep on fighting each other." Chaewon turned away from Hitomi and entered the room, leaving Hitomi alone in the hallway.

                                                                        * * *

Somehow, Chaewon was able to convince her friends that Hitomi was nothing more than a friend. After explaining with all her best and Hitomi finally agreeing with her in not calling her her girlfriend, they were able to convince them. Even if they did, Yena kept her eye out at the two, saying there was something more than Chaewon was telling them. Yena being Yena, her friends dismissed her idea as they believe Chaewon wouldn't lie to them.

Lucky for Chaewon, class already started that made her friends go to their respective places. Today for Literature Class, they were tasked to construct a poem in pairs. Chaewon knew she'd be left out again since all her friends already has their own pairs.

She brought her pen out together with a piece of paper to start writing. She placed her head on her left hand while her right hand was scribbling on whatever she could think of. She let out a sigh, she wasn't going anywhere with this.

"Chaewonie! How's our poem going so far?" Out of nowhere, Hitomi came sitting right beside her. She caught Chaewon by surprised as she jumped a bit when she heard her name.

"Our poem?" Chaewon asked. Hitomi nodded at her. "Yes, our poem. This is a work for pairs and you're my partner. Isn't that what girlfriends do?"

Chaewon was about to protest when she realized she haven't done anything on her own yet. If Hitomi will be her partner, she'll be able to finish her work in time not to mention she didn't have any partner herself.

"Sure, I'd like that." Chaewon says, smiling at Hitomi as the younger returns her smile. They started working together to create a whole masterpiece, with Chaewon even forgetting of Hitomi addressing her as her girlfriend.

                                                                        * * *


The bell rang signaling school was done for the day. Students can be seen going out of the rooms and flooding the hallways, excited to go home. Chaewon was relieved that the day was eventually coming to its end. She didn't need to deal with Hitomi coming close to her friends again.

Chaewon was lost in her thoughts that she forgot that Hitomi was right beside her. "So, are we going to walk home together?" That made Chaewon stopped from thinking.

"Wait, what did you say?" She asked. Hitomi giggled before answering. "I asked if we were going to walk home together. Technically, we do live together now."

"Oh, yeah. Well, you go on without me. I still have a club meeting to go to. I wouldn't want you waiting for me." Hitomi nodded. Her eyes then sparkled. "Wait, what if I go with you to your club? I can join the club if you want too so you wouldn't have to go home alone. If I'm a member, we can always go home together every after meetings."

 

Chaewon didn't like the idea of them being in the same club. They were already living in the same house, having the same classes, and now Hitomi wants them to have the same club too? For Chaewon, it was all too much but seeing she will have someone to walk with her home, Chaewon couldn't disagree. Sometimes club meetings last for a long time and Chaewon doesn't have anyone to go with her. Even if Chaewon is used to going home alone, she wouldn't mind having the company.

"Seems fine by me. But remember, it's not that easy to join the club. You must really showcase your potential and truly show the club members that you are someone worth recruiting." Hitomi listened to every word Chaewon said. Her face showing determination. She really did want to join this club and Chaewon being in it makes her even more earnest in joining.

Chaewon couldn't believe it, Hitomi already got in the club. Chaewon thought it'll be hard for her judging that the younger didn't have any experience with acting whatsoever. She thought that the members wouldn't like Hitomi's audition. But as it turns out, they liked her performance. Maybe even better than the performance Chaewon showed them when she was new to the club.

Eunbi, Chaewon's friend who is also the president of the club, liked Hitomi's performance that she even decided to give Hitomi a script for their upcoming play. She told Hitomi that her acting was really good and that they could use someone like her for their play.

Chaewon was of course stunned. She didn't know whether to feel happy or angry at the girl. Happy, because she got in and angry, because her performance was that good that everyone agreed to accept her. At the end of the day, she chose to be happy for her. Besides, they'll be living with each other now. Chaewon didn't want any bad blood happening between them.

                                                                        * * *

Night came as the two girls can be seen getting ready for bed. Chaewon's bed was the one placed in a bed frame while Hitomi's bed was located below, next to Chaewon's bed.

"Good night." Chaewon says before putting the light out. She tried to rest after a whole stressful day with Hitomi. Chaewon was in the middle of losing consciousness when she felt someone laying next beside her. "Good night." The voice said. She was facing the other direction so she didn't see the person going beside her, but she didn't need to see to know who it was.

Chaewon turned from the other side and saw Hitomi staring at her. They were at least two inc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter