31 Tiny Magnets

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: A SsamBbang single parent AU. Hitomi’s number one priority is her daughter. She doesn’t have time in her life for anything else. Chaewon’s still just trying to figure out this whole parenting thing.

Word Count: 7004

Hashtag: #SSBB_TinyMagnets

 

Tiny Magnets


 

Day 1


 

They arrive a half-hour early at Nako’s insistence. Her daughter had certainly inherited her affinity for learning and academia. Combined with a high social aptitude, Nako had been looking forward to attending school from the moment she had first been informed of the existence of institutionalized learning. Hitomi is sure that no other child in the history of the world has anticipated their first day of school more than her small bean. 

 

Like every parent on their child's first day of school, the young mother feels wholly unprepared and completely overwhelmed. When had her baby gotten so big? She wishes she could rewind to a time before Nako had grown so autonomous. Her baby is growing up.

 

After years of repressing her attraction to girls and entering misguided relationships with boys to prove her own heterouality to herself, Hitomi had eventually found herself pregnant and alone at the age of 20. 

 

She had gotten the whole deadbeat baby daddy response package when she had told Tetsuo that he was going to be a father. 1. Skepticism: his initial reaction was to repeatedly ask if she was sure she was pregnant. 2. Denial: he had then moved straight into accusations of the baby not being his. 3. Abandonment: and finally, he had eventually said that if she wasn't getting an abortion, then he would be terminating his parental rights and refusing to pay child support.

 

Tetsuo hightailing it out of her life had been fine by her. She hadn’t been attached to him in the first place. Hitomi had only lamented for her unborn child who would have to grow up without a father. She had decided then that she would just have to give her baby enough love to compensate for the lack of having two parents.

 

Luckily Hitomi had managed to pass her CPA exam shortly after her daughter was born. Her cousin Sakura had helped her secure a job as an accountant for a local restaurant which offered her financial stability and the ability to work from home. It just left her with little free time not dedicated to her daughter.

 

"Be good, be kind, and listen to your teacher," the Japanese woman reminds her daughter. She’s crouching by the elementary school's front steps, hands grasping Nako's shoulders. Nako stands facing her mother with rosy cherub cheeks and large excited eyes.

 

"I will! I'm going to make so many friends today," Nako boasts determinedly and gives her a big toothy smile, deep dimples on showcase. 

 

Placing a soft kiss on her daughter's forehead and wrapping her in a tight hug that’s eagerly reciprocated, Hitomi whispers into her tiny ear, "I love you always.”

 

"I love you always! See you after class, mama."

 

And just like that, Nako spins around, bounds up the front steps, and disappears beyond the open doors of her new school. Even surrounded by other parents milling around, Hitomi suddenly feels very alone.


 

---


 

Chaewon carefully pulls up to the curb and turns off the car’s engine. It’s a bittersweet day, thinks Chaewon as she turns to her withdrawn niece sitting in the front passenger seat.

 

She wishes that Eunbi was here with them today.  Eunbi should be here to see her baby off on her first day of school. Chaewon can see it in Yuri's despondent eyes that she’s thinking of her parents too.

 

“Look alive, kid. We’re here.”

 

Yuri makes a noncommittal noise and continues to stare vacantly out the car window.

 

The little girl is practically inhaling her bottom lip. It was one of the idiosyncrasies she had picked up after her parents' deaths. She would chew on her lip when she was feeling anxious or upset until it was swollen and raw. It’s a habit that Chaewon has been unsuccessfully trying to help Yuri break since she had started living with her 7 months ago.

 

A knock at 2 am had woken her up to find a solemn police officer at her door. He told her that her sister and brother-in-law had passed away in a fatal car accident earlier that night. She had been babysitting Yuri for the couple’s monthly date night at the time and had been the one to break the news to her. Chaewon will never forget the sound of Yuri’s anguished cries. It was unequivocally the worst night of her life.

 

The young aunt certainly hadn't been prepared to become the sole guardian of her young niece while still in the throes of grief herself. However, with no other living relatives to speak of, Chaewon was all Yuri had left. For much of her life, Chaewon had only had Eunbi. It was only fair that she now be the one to take responsibility for Eunbi’s daughter. 

 

"Kid, you're 5. Somebody your age should never look this stressed. It'll be fine, Yuri. I'm sure you'll fit right in."

 

Yuri tries to smile but it comes out as more of a grimace. 

 

Chaewon unclips Yuri’s seatbelt and they both exit the vehicle. She double-checks to make sure the packed lunch she made is inside before helping the little girl slip on her backpack.

 

"You will! And if you don't, you'll still be my best friend."

 

"You're my family, Auntie Chaewon, not my friend," Yuri replies apathetically.

 

"Oof!  Chaewon half-jokes. That stung a bit. She kneels down and encircles the precious little girl in a warm embrace. “Niece or not, I honestly think you’re the coolest, greatest kid I’ve ever met. I consider it a great privilege to be your friend.”

 

This time Yuri manages a half-hearted smile as she loops her arms around Chaewon’s neck and buries her face into Chaewon’s shoulder. Chaewon rubs soothing circles on the child’s back in comfort.

 

After a moment Chaewon pulls back and holds out her hand. “C’mon, let me walk you in.”

 

Yuri grabs her hand and they head towards the school’s entrance.

 

"Don’t forget to have FUN, Yuri!” Chaewon calls out as the little girl’s mushroom head disappears among the throngs of children entering the school.


 

---


 

As Hitomi leans against her SUV waiting for Nako to exit the building, she sees another young woman off to her right pacing back and forth. Even from a distance, Hitomi can’t help but notice how exceptionally pretty the dark-haired woman is. She has a small face and beautiful round eyes but looks visibly anxious.

 

The young mother wonders why the other woman looks so perturbed.

 

The bell rings, stealing Hitomi’s attention, and it takes mere minutes for little feet to come storming through the school’s front doors. Hitomi wrings her hands as she searches for sight of her daughter.

 

When Hitomi finally spots her baby, she notices another little girl is glued to her side. Both of them have matching grins and Nako drags the other girl towards her.

 

“Yuri, this is mama. Mama, this is my bestest friend forever, Yuri!!” Nako proudly introduces the adorable little girl with shy eyes and hair cut just below her ears.”We have the same Ryan the lion backpack!”

 

Yuri’s eyes cast downwards before looking up at Hitomi through her lashes. Hitomi smiles and kneels down to meet her timid gaze.

 

“Hi, Nako’s bestest friend forever Yuri. I’m Nako’s mama, Hitomi,” Hitomi says as gently as she can, trying to put the nervous child at ease.

 

Yuri steps closer to Nako’s side who immediately grabs the other girl’s hand, instinctively knowing that Yuri needs the reassurance. The mushroom-haired girl hesitantly returns Hitomi’s smile and squeaks out a hello.

 

“Where’s your mom, Yuri?”

 

Yuri tenses up again and starts to chew on her bottom lip. She looks around wildly, as if remembering that there is in fact somebody waiting for her, until she stops and stares at something off to their right. Hitomi follows her sightline to see the woman she had coincidentally noticed earlier. The dark-haired woman is watching them closely.

 

“That’s my… my Chaewon,” says Yuri in a quiet voice, pointing at the slender young woman who is now smiling encouragingly in their direction. She approaches the trio after she sees Yuri pointing at her.

 

When she reaches them, Chaewon introduces herself with a friendly smile and courteous bow. “Hi there, I’m Yuri’s Auntie Chaewon.”

 

Hitomi returns the smile and bow in kind and says, “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Honda Hitomi and this little one is my daughter Nako.”

 

The blonde curiously studies the woman in front of her. Chaewon looks young, far too young to be Yuri’s mother, but there is a seriousness in her doe brown eyes that reveals her age. A blatant expression of relief and hopefulness settles on the Korean woman’s face when Yuri tells her that Nako is her new best friend.

 

“Hey kiddos, I’m just going to discuss something with Nako’s mama for a sec. Sit tight.” They take a step away from the girls so they’re just out of earshot but still near enough to keep a close eye on them.

 

“Sorry about that. I just wanted to take a quick moment to inform you that Yuri lost both her parents last year. I’m her permanent caretaker now.” Chaewon puts tremendous effort into keeping her voice and demeanor easygoing as she explains their situation with sad eyes. 

 

Hitomi barely stifles a gasp and doesn’t interrupt but her heart shatters hearing of the tragedy and loss Nako’s new friend has already had to endure at such a young age.

 

“So I apologize if this is a little forward, but I was hoping we could exchange numbers. I would love to set up future playdates for these two. I’m really hoping a friend could help Yuri acclimate to her new life.”

 

“Oh, of course! I can tell Nako is already enamoured with Yuri so I suspect we’ll be seeing a lot of each other in the future.” Hitomi hands Chaewon her phone and grabs the one offered to her in return.

 

Chaewon nods enthusiastically. “Honestly, I’d be grateful. Thank you so much.”

 

They both quickly input their contact information and exchange back their phones.

 

“If you want, I could take Yuri home with us for the afternoon and you could pick her up after dinner. I was planning on baking cookies with Nako in celebration of her starting school and the more the merrier,” Hitomi offers.

 

Chaewon resists the urge to crush her new acquaintance in a bear hug. “I’m sure she would love that. Seriously, thank you so much.” 

 

“It’s really no problem. I’ll text you the address. You can swing by around 7?”

 

“Sounds perfect.”

 

They share a look of understanding before turning their attention back to the children.

 

“How would you girls feel about heading back to our place to bake some cookies?” The words barely leave Hitomi’s mouth before tiny cries of excitement assault their ears.

 

Chaewon reaches down to Yuri and drops a kiss on the top of her head. “Be good for Miss  Honda, munchkin. Love you. I’ll see you tonight and you can tell me all about your first day. It was wonderful meeting you, Miss Nako.”

 

“Bye, Auntie Chaewon. Love you.” 

 

Chaewon’s eyes meet Hitomi’s again and she finds herself moved by the kindness reflected back at her. She nods and she turns to leave, feeling optimistic in a way she hadn’t felt in a long time.


 

---


 

Hitomi is pleased to note that, although still a little shy, Yuri already seems much more comfortable in her presence compared to when they had first met this afternoon. The three of them had a great time baking even if her kitchen did pay a price.

 

The girls are currently on their stomachs with colouring books waiting for Yuri’s aunt to arrive.

 

The accountant isn’t sure why but she finds herself unexpectedly nervous at the thought of seeing Yuri’s guardian again. It’s a little after 7 when Hitomi hears the doorbell.

 

Yuri’s ears perk up and she shoves her crayons into her backpack before her short little legs race towards the front door.

 

As soon as Hitomi opens the door for her, Yuri launches herself forward as Chaewon reaches down to pick the mushroom-haired girl up. They share a crushing hug before the Korean woman settles Yuri high onto her hip.

 

Chaewon’s black hair is in loose curls that fall around her shoulders and she’s wearing a black leather jacket over a white hoodie and dark blue jeans. It’s a much more attractive look than the casual business attire she had been donning earlier, Hitomi notes.

 

“Hello again, Miss Nako, Miss Hitomi. I hope this little rugrat wasn’t too much of an inconvenience for you,” Chaewon greets them as she uses her free hand to give Yuri’s tummy a tickle.

 

“I’ll have you know this child is a pure angel. Don’t you be sullying the good name of our new best friend.” Hitomi smiles at Yuri who grins bashfully and hides her face in Chaewon’s chest.

 

Chaewon shakes her head ruefully. “I, too, once considered Yuri my best friend before she replaced me with far more delightful company.”

 

Hitomi laughs. “She’s clearly a girl of taste and good judgement.”

 

The young Japanese mother is charmed by the sparkle she finds in the other woman’s expressive doe brown eyes. She might just have the prettiest eyes Hitomi has ever seen.

 

“I can’t disagree.” Chaewon grins.

 

Hitomi s the bag on Yuri’s back and slips in a small container filled with the freshly baked cookies they had made together this afternoon.

 

“Thank you so much, really,” Chaewon repeats her words from earlier in the day with a disarming openness and sincerity. 

 

Hitomi blushes and waves her off. “It was our pleasure. I’m sure Nako will be having me call you soon to set up another playdate.”

 

Chaewon nods and says, “Absolutely anytime. Just let me know when. Have a lovely night, ladies.”

 

“Bye, Naknak!” 

 

“See you tomorrow, Yul!”

 

Hitomi closes and locks the front door after she watches the departing duo climb into Chaewon’s black hatchback. She holds a hand up to her chest and wonders at the unfamiliar but pleasant feeling that lingers there.


 

---


 

Day 15

 

They fall into a comfortable pattern. Chaewon is surprised at how quickly a rapport develops between her and Hitomi. The young mother has been nothing but understanding and accommodating. If Chaewon were a religious person, she’d be thanking God everyday for introducing Nako and Hitomi to her and Yuri’s lives.

 

On weekdays, Hitomi normally picks the girls up from school and Yuri will stay with them for a couple hours. Chaewon, on the other hand, takes the girls out once or twice a week, usually on the weekend. 

 

Nako and Yuri are inseparable and Chaewon is already noticing a difference in Yuri’s emotional well-being. It’s a giant relief to see the positive changes in her niece day by day. Yuri’s doing well in school, she smiles more easily, and she’s been gnawing on her lip less.

 

Things are looking up, Chaewon thinks.


 

---


 

Day 28

 

“Do you want to come in for a bit?” Chaewon offers.

 

“Sure, why not,” Hitomi replies as the dark-haired woman steps aside to allow her entry into the apartment.

 

Hitomi finds the children sitting in front of the television watching Wall-E.

 

“Hi baby, hi Yuri. What did you girls do today?” the blonde asks as she takes in the chaos around her. There are stuffed animals, toys, and colouring books strewn about the floor and sofa.

 

“We had a Pixar marathon,” the youngsters chime out in unison. They turn to each other as if silently communicating through telepathy.

 

“Bubbles!” Nako screeches, raising her short arms in the air.

 

“Bubbles!!” Yuri dutifully echoes, arms also in the air.

 

Hitomi looks over at Chaewon in alarm.

 

“There may have been candy involved,” Chaewon sheepishly admits.

 

“And we still have more left!” Nako squeals with glee, proudly holding up a ziploc bag full of confectionaries.

 

"Oookay then. I think that’s enough for tonight. I’m cutting you off, missy." Hitomi gently pries the bag of candy out of her daughter's tiny fist while giving Chaewon the stink eye.

 

 Chaewon shrugs unapologetically. “I have no regrets.”

 

Hitomi raises a sassy eyebrow in response. “Get back to me when you try to put Yuri to bed tonight.”

 

Chaewon wistfully takes in the happiness on Yuri’s face. “It’ll be worth it.”

 

The accountant doesn’t have the heart to hold it against her. She can’t help but find the annoyingly charismatic young woman before her endearing.

 

“Thanks for looking after Nako tonight. I guess I’ll see you Monday when you pick Yuri up?”

 

“Wild horses couldn’t drag me away. Goodnight Miss Honda.” Chaewon smiles at Hitomi before bending down and giving Nako a hug. “Don’t give your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter