21 Always on my mind

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fluff, Tragedy

Summary: Chaewon is painfully reminded of an unfortunate event with her lover, Hitomi. About her daily routine, she is unable to help but feel disturbed by her recollection of that one moment - forever etched in her mind.

Word Count: 2537

Hashtag: #SSBB_AlwaysOnMyMind

 

Always on my mind

 

“Next stop  – SongJeong station.” 

Chaewon held up head, realising that she had unknowingly fallen into a mindless daze on the train. She darted a glance at the map. It seemed that she had missed her stop – and by a long shot. Shaking her head, she attempted to break away from the painful longing of her beloved. She gets off. Headed out to a street, a throw of a hand, and she finds herself in a cab to her workplace. With the scent of lavender freshener in the car assaulting her sense of smell, she could not help but think about her again. That one moment was still so freshly imprinted in her memory. Her gaze cast into the distant rumbling of the thundery skies, as a shallow shower began to descend upon them. How could she forget? How painful it had been, that she will remember it for what will seem to be an eternity. 

------

Dawn breaks. The first rays of the morning sun lightened up the eastern sky. The outside was blowing a cold, billowing breeze – adequately balanced by the heat of the fiery orb appearing beyond the horizon. Willing her eyes to open, Chaewon awakens, seeing Hitomi eyeing her surreptitiously as she slept. Their eyes meet, as Hitomi averted her gaze sheepishly, having been caught in the act. Unable to hold back an adorable laughter, Chaewon threw her arms around Hitomi, drawing her close into her embrace. Behind her, the sunlight bathed her skin in a glistening glow, creating a pseudo-halo that accentuated her godly presence. Yet, it was nothing compared to the warmth of her body as she nestled in her arms, resting her head against her thumping heartbeat. She was here. Hitomi was too. And that was all that mattered. 

“Good morning love.” Chaewon greeted, breathing against Hitomi’s arm as she sniffed her comforting smell. 

“Ready for another day of Hokkaido?” Hitomi asked. Her hand lightly brushed Chaewon’s head of caramel-brown long hair, even drawing out a few strands that slipped past her lips. In response, Chaewon whined a little, like a spoilt child not getting what they wanted. “Just a few more minutes…” Where she laid within Hitomi’s reach, it was so cosy and comfortable, with the softness of the bed beneath her fuelling her reluctance to get up. 

“Alright. Take your time, babe.” Hitomi extricated herself deftly from Chaewon’s unforgiving grasp, sliding out of the bed. Rousing from her quasi-slumber, Chaewon realised that Hitomi had already gotten up, going about her daily routine of washing up. Her lips curled downwards as she paddled her feet up and down, bouncing up and down on the mattress where she laid. Turning to her side, she propped herself up on an elbow. Right before her eyes was the snow-capped peak. A palette of greys, deep-blues and silver-whites blended together to colour the side of the mountain. From her angle, a few brave mountaineers were seen beginning their long, arduous trek up the mountain, appearing as though nothing but miniscule ants to Chaewon. The scenery right outside their hotel room was a sight to behold. And this, was on their personal itinerary for the day. The newly wedded couple had been painstakingly saving up their earnings to purchase their home-to-be. Seeing that it had been a great ordeal for the two partners, Hitomi decided that it was time that they allowed themselves a reward. A reward to a vacation destination that they both wanted to visit – Hokkaido. It was a place of great memories for Hitomi – having made a trip to the snowy island with her extended family when she was a small child. Home to the superior quality of seafood one can get nowhere else, Chaewon immediately jumped on the bandwagon and agreed to visiting the place. 

Gathering her willpower, Chaewon rolled herself off the magnetic pull of the bed, dragging her feet to the bathroom to wash up. Entering, she sees Hitomi brushing her teeth diligently. She flashed her immaculate rows of teeth, holding a brush to provide ample care to each and everyone of her pearly whites. It was no surprise to Chaewon that she always wore such a beautiful smile. 

“Must we really climb that mountain today?” Chaewon tucked her head into the curvature of Hitomi’s neck, wrapping her arms around her waist. The familiar aroma of her lavender body wash engulfed her senses – a rich, alluring aura emanating from her being. Her eyes were directed at the reflection of Hitomi in the wide mirrors of the bathroom, making the decently small bathroom seem like it was double in size. 

“My parents didn’t bring me up Asahi-dake when I was four. But I’ve always wanted to do it.” Hitomi shared openly, her voice muffled a little as she was still busily cleaning her teeth. “It’ll be fun, I promise.” Hitomi rubbed her cheek affectionately against Chaewon’s cheekbone, feeling the warmth of her face in addition to the friction created. Chaewon instinctively closed her nearer eye, letting the girl do as she wished. 

“You know I’ll do anything for you, Hitomi.” Chaewon straightened as she declared, staring intentionally into Hitomi’s eyes. Hitomi returned a vicarious eye-smile, making Chaewon instantly recognise her look of unrestrained mirth. Slowly, she inched her face closer, and closer, towards Chaewon. Just before their lips touch, Chaewon pulled back in a violent jerk, causing their intimate moment to adjourn abruptly. 

“Ya! No kissing with toothpaste in your mouth!”

------

In a matter of an hour, the two girls arrived at the foot of the 2000-meter-tall mountain. With all the forward planning done, they wasted no time in renting out the required trekking equipment to commence their climb. Gear properly donned, and items all accounted for, Chaewon gulped as she came face to face with the ginormous mountain. It loomed over them with an imaginative mockery, as it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter