29 Mint Chocolate Ice Cream

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Comedy, Fluff, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: Yuck. Gross. Not over your dead body. You’d have to lose your mind if you planned on ever eating mint chocolate ice cream. You wish you knew you were going to lose your mind that same day.

Word Count: 4620

Hashtag: #SSBB_Mintcho

 

 Mint Chocolate Ice Cream

 

It’s hot. Like, really hot. Like— an asteroid is breaking through the Earth’s atmosphere and burning at 1000 degrees Celsius —hot. 

 

Well, maybe not that hot but you get the picture. The only reason you’re suffering in the blazing heat rather than lounging in your perfectly air conditioned apartment was because your best friend Nako insisted on getting ice cream.

 

A new shop opened up near your apartment and Nako, being the mint chocolate loving person she is, was dying to try it out. It would be fun! She said. You are not having fun. 

 

You were walking in the heat to reach the shop rather than taking public transportation. Because seriously, would you want to be burning hot and squished between other heat producing organisms? You think not. But walking wasn’t so great either. 

 

It required energy— energy which you don’t currently have at the moment. The semester is over. It’s summer break. You should be doing just that; having a break, at home, on your couch. Damn Nako, she’s lucky she’s your best friend or else you wouldn’t have even opened your phone to reply. 

 

Simple blue jean shorts and a red off shoulder blouse. Cute sandals adorn your feet and your blonde hair is tied in a high-pony. This may have been last minute but you were not going to go outside looking like a potato. 

 

Not to brag, but you had fashion sense, known for it in fact. Whether it be casual or formal you knew your clothes well. Hopefully Nako wore something presentable because you swear she would come out wearing her pajamas without a care in the world. 

 

You spoke too soon because there she was, waving her hand to get your attention, in her little penguin pajamas. Oh for the love of— Nako, really?! You’re gonna have to give her pointers because this was not it. 

 

“Hiichan!!” Oh can she please stop waving. You did not want to be associated with her right now. You give her this look. Ya know, the ‘what the hell are you wearing and give me one reason why I shouldn’t act like we know each other?’ Type of look. 

 

“What?” She puts her hands on her hips and gives you the look back. Leave it to Yabuki Nako to try and be intimidating with her tiny stature. She’ll threaten to kill you while standing on her tippy toes. Truly threatening.

 

You cross your arms and stand there for a second. “Nako,” you pause to give her body a once over. “You look absolutely horrible. Like, what are you even wearing?!”

 

She gasps in an exaggerated way, hand to her chest and mouth wide open. Oh here we go again. She wasn’t an acting major for nothing, her overdramatic little—

 

“How dare you say that about me? I’ll have you know I’m comfortable and fashionable.” She strikes a few poses and you swear you’ll put her into a choke hold right there and then but you keep your composure.

 

“Lets…” you take in a deep breath, you can hear her snickering while you do it. “Let's just get your ice cream and go.” 

 

You roll your eyes and head for the entrance, a now fully laughing Nako following close behind you. She did this on purpose, you just know it. Why is she your best friend again? 

 

“Sorry Hiichan, don’t worry I’ll pay for all this!”

 

Oh, that’s why.

 

You’re kidding. You love her. Just, her fashion choices are always a bit questionable. You should give her more pointers later when you head back home to sit under your air conditioner. Or maybe not, because God forbid she wouldn’t give a damn about what you had to say about her fashion sense.

 

You look around the shop and it’s like you expected. Cozy. Warm. It was real home-y. The walls are a nice beige with shelves of different plants sitting atop them. Natural sunlight bathed the entire room thanks to the large windows that cover the entrance wall. Different lounge areas were present, the couches being all sorts of pastel colors.

 

You liked it. 

 

Nako starts to drag you to the counter to look at the assortment of choices. You wonder why she even wants to look when you know she’s gonna order mint chocolate anyways. 

 

Which by the way, tastes awful. How does Nako even eat that stuff? Yuck. Gross. Not over your dead body. You’d rather not swallow an entire tub of toothpaste on a hot summer day. You’d have to lose your mind if you planned on ever eating mint chocolate ice cream. You wish you knew you were going to lose your mind that same day.

 

“Hiichan look at all the flavors, they got some really tasty looking ones here.” Nako practically has her face squished against the glass trying to get the best view of the treats. It’s cute, but also really embarrassing. Is she even wearing make-up right now? Because it’s going to stan the glass if she keeps going. 

 

“Nako! Get your tiny face off of the glass you weirdo,” you say as you pull her back slightly. She stumbles back slightly, a pout on her lips before a smirk appears moments later.

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment and ignore the second hand embarrassment I just gave you,” she replies, another cheeky smile crossing her face. You glare at her, hoping it would have some sort of effect to no avail.

 

You look over at the glass that shielded you from the different ice cream flavors on display. The classic chocolates and vanillas were there, as well as a few interesting ones like ‘rainbow swirl’ and ‘berry blast’. But you were a classic kind of gal and vanilla was looking extra delicious. Simple is best. You heard someone say that in a video once.

 

When you raise your head again you notice that your tiny friend has disappeared. Oh come on. You know Nako was small, but you didn’t think she’d be so small that you wouldn’t be able to see her anymore. You sweep your head around trying to catch a glimpse of her.

 

Only a few people were here at the moment but none of the people you saw were her. You let out a frustrated sigh. Why does she keep doing this to you? Well, at least she makes your life somewhat exciting by pulling her tricks. Gotta live life to the fullest or something like that.

 

You make another sweep with your eyes when you finally catch sight of her talking to someone. She really left you here without saying a word to talk to someone else. Rude. Huffing, you walk in her direction. Honestly the audacity of this tiny child, you’ll make her sit outside of your apartment door for a while before letting her in later.

 

“Nako!”

 

She turns around, a smile on her face. She actually just left you to talk to someone, how offending. Like, how could she just be smiling like that knowing she left you all alone? “You shouldn’t have just… left me…”

 

Your words are caught in your mouth as you finally see who she was talking to. Kim Chaewon. Star player of the volleyball team at your university. Leading student in academics of the College of Nursing. Your crush.

 

You glare at Nako for the nth time today. Oh you absolute brat.

 

You weren’t really friends with Chaewon, being an art major meant being on the other side of campus. You’ve shared some general classes with her, only exchanging a few words before simply parting ways. You’ve gone to some of the volleyball games as well to support your school. Needless to say, she caught your attention.

 

How Nako even knows her is beyond you but right now isn’t the time to be thinking about that. You’re too busy having a mental breakdown to be considered about Nako’s methods of making friends.

 

“Sorry Hiichan, I saw Chaewon and wanted to say hi,” she puts her hands together, making that disgustingly cute face asking for forgiveness. You see past that. The little smirk and glint in her eyes is telling you that she planned this. She’s lucky you were in the presence of your one and only or you would have already knocked her out cold where she stood.

 

“Hello Hitomi.” Chaewon looks at you with her polished smile. Damn you smile, it isn’t fair how perfect it was. Chaewon had simplistic clothes on, some skinny jeans and a white T-shirt tucked into it. A grey blazer over it while her hair cascaded down her shoulders.

 

Ugh, her style was just your type. The universe is playing games with you because you swear your composure was going to fall apart the longer she smiled at you like that. Breathe Hitomi breathe. You got this, no biggie. It’s just the person you have been falling for since the beginning of the school year. Yeah, no biggie.

 

You return the greeting as normally as you could, a snicker from your right was followed by a quiet ow that hurt! as your arm jabbed at her side. Another endearing smile from her. You feel like you’re on cloud nine.

 

“Chaewon said she works here so I was asking her about the mint chocolate,” says Nako after she recovers from her feigned injury. Great, now you have to come here more often. For science. And research purposes, but Nako doesn’t need to know that.

 

“Yeah! The mint chocolate here is really good!” Just your luck, she likes mint chocolate. You know what, it’s okay. Everyone has their flaws, and Chaewon’s was liking mint chocolate. From how you see it anyway, Nako must see her as some Godly being that has descended upon the earth for those mint chocolate loving fellows down there such as herself.

 

“I was going to order right now, I could pay for yours too! You know, that employee discount benefit,” she smiles again while wiggling her eyebrows. Dangerous game she’s playing but you aren’t complaining. Nako doesn’t seem to either as another giggle escapes her lips.

 

“How could we say no to that offer!” Nako shouts as she was practically vibrating next to you at the thought of getting her precious mint chocolate at a discount. You would have said no right away because you were an independent woman who could pay for her own ice cream, but then the opportunity to spend more time with Chaewon could vanish and— yeah, you weren’t about to let that happen.

 

You nod your head in agreement. Chaewon beams, her smile there again. “Awesome! I know what Nako and I want already so Hitomi, are you getting mint chocolate too?”

 

“Oh no she doesn’t-”

 

“I would love that!”

 

You shove Nako to the side, a smile on your face as you hold back the want, the need, to gag at the slightest thought of eating mint chocolate. But you’ll be damned that s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter