14 Wishes

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Medical

Summary: Kim Chaewon has been very fond of wishes ever since she was a kid. Birthday candles, 11:11, eyelashes, paper cranes, shooting stars - you name it all. Her wishes were either very unlucky or a god-sent gift, but most of the time unlucky. But she still believes nonetheless, especially if the one she’s wishing for right now involves her life.

Word Count: 10851

Hashtag: #SSBB_Wishes

 

Wishes

 

NOTE: This is a work of fiction so there may be some inaccuracies on the medical terms used.

 

------------------------------ 

 

Chaewon released a long tired sigh as she opened the door of her room. Another long day of having multiple needles injected to her body as part of her treatment. Her body feels so heavy right now but she insisted on walking instead of riding another wheelchair. A nurse was assisting her, the very same nurse who was assigned to her every time she is needed to be confined because of her Myeloma.

 

“I can take it from here, Eunbi unnie.” Chaewon smiled at the older girl while trying to take the IV stand from her grasp. The older girl only shook her head and nodded her head at her to enter the room. Chaewon only pressed her lips together and complied.

 

She sat down quietly on her bed as she watched her nurse fix all the wires and tubes near her bed so she would be comfortable. 

 

“Do you need anything else? Water? Some snacks?” Eunbi asked, Chaewon sensed the tiredness on the nurse’s voice so she shook her head and politely declined. “I’m all good, unnie. You should rest now also, your shift was supposed to end a few hours ago.” She said apologetically, knowing she was the reason why the girl stayed up late again.

 

“It’s okay, kid. How many times am I supposed to tell you that it’s my choice to stay with you.” Eunbi said with the same warm smile she always gave Chaewon.

 

A sudden alarm was heard from Chaewon’s bedside. She reached for her phone to turn off the alarm, also realizing that it’s already 11:10 at night. Eunbi smiled at the sight of Chaewon staring at the clock of her phone, waiting for the time to go exactly 11:11 before closing her eyes and making a wish. She knew how fond of the girl is into wishing stuff, she even accompanied the girl every day at the hospital’s garden just to look for a four-leaf clover or some dandelions. 

 

“So what did you wish for this time?” Eunbi asked after Chaewon opened her eyes.

 

“You know, the usual.” Chaewon answered with a shrug,

 

Eunbi can sense the hint of sadness in the younger’s voice. Both of Chaewon’s parents are working overseas and they only came home to visit her at least once every two months. Chaewon can’t blame them though, she knew they had important business to take care of and they can’t afford to lose it, especially they needed a lot of money for her hospital bills. She’s thankful enough that they still keep in touch with her through phone calls, but she can’t help it to miss them everyday. 

 

Chaewon shrugged her shoulders before reaching out for a piece of paper by the bedside table. Multiple folds were done very carefully, until the paper was formed into a crane. She carefully wrote the number 232 on the right wing before putting it inside a box.

 

“I can’t believe I’ll actually reach 200.” She chuckled at herself.

 

Flashback:

 

A faint cry was heard when the door was slightly opened, entering was a nurse with a black bob cut hair. Inside the room was a 16-year-old Chaewon who was quietly sitting down on her bed, head hung low. 

 

Chaewon’s myeloma had a relapse. And like what the doctor said, Chaewon had to go through another treatment, meaning she has to go through all the pain again. Her other organs, such as her kidney and bones, could also be damaged in a matter of time so Chaewon might experience more hardships.

 

“Am I going to die again?” The younger asked, playing with her fingers nervously. Eunbi didn’t have the heart to tell her what was happening so she only shook her head and approached the girl with a smile. “Don’t mind them first, they are having a conversation only for adults.”

 

Before the atmosphere could get a lot more gloomy, Eunbi snaps her finger when an idea comes to her mind. “Just wait here.” She told her before leaving the room, Chaewon just nodded and waited for her.

 

Eunbi came back to the room holding sheets of different colored papers. She set up the small table connected to Chaewon’s bed before plopping herself on the same bed.

 

“What’s that for?” Chaewon asked as she eyed the papers that were sprawled in front of her.

 

“Grab one and copy me.” Eunbi said before grabbing a purple paper, which Chaewon followed by grabbing a green one. 

 

Eunbi folded the paper with Chaewon copying her. After a few folds, Chaewon finally realized what they were making.

 

“Paper cranes?” Chaewon lifted up the piece of origami to her level and observed it.

 

“Yup,” Eunbi nodded, “Back when I was in Japan for a vacation, my friends gave me thousands of these held by strings. They told me that there’s a saying that a thousand of these can grant you a wish that is eternal.” She explained. 

 

“I actually heard about those stuff but I didn’t bother to start because a thousand seems a lot. I think I might give up even before I can even reach 200.” Chaewon frowned.

 

“Well, you have a lot of free time. Maybe you could do one or two every day” Eunbi suggested. “It requires a lot of effort so maybe it can really grant your wish.”

 

And that made Chaewon think. Her luck on 11:11 wishes are dying down, and she almost picked all the lucky clovers and dandelions on the garder so maybe she could start on relying her wishes to other,

 

“Ok, I’ll start tomorrow.” ‘Let’s see if I can reach 1000.’

 

------------------------------

 

“How are you, Chae? How long are you gonna be there?”  Yena, her cousin and classmate, asked over the phone.

 

“I’m not sure. Maybe a month or two?” Chaewon shrugged.

 

None in her class knows about Chaewon’s sickness - except the teachers and Yena. Her parents and teachers agreed to Chaewon’s request that every time someone asks for her whereabouts, they will only tell that she’s with her parents doing some business. The girl wanted no unnecessary attention. She didn’t bother about making friends - saying that she doesn’t want to get too attached to someone - that is why her favorite cousin, Yena, agreed on switching schools just so she could accompany her.

 

“It’s so boring here.” Yena whined.

 

“I told you to man up already and talk to Jo Yuri! Don’t tell me ever since I was absent you didn't talk to her.” Chaewon said, still working on her origami.

 

“How am I supposed to talk to her? Every time I try to go to her my heart feels like it’s about to explode.” Yena said, still whining.

 

“Stop overreacting and just make a move already. By the way, have you seen anyone talk to Yuri for the past few days?” Chaewon asked.

 

“She talks to a lot of people, Chaewon.” Yena deadpanned, making Chaewon roll her eyes as if the duck could see her.

 

“The day before I left, I heard the Junho from Class-3 was planning to ask her out--”

 

“And you’re only telling me this now?! Bye, I have to look for her!” The call was immediately disconnected and Chaewon could only laugh. She can’t believe how Yena easily believes her lie. 

 

After finishing her 235th origami, she smiled in satisfaction before putting it inside a shoebox given by Eunbi for her to put her origami cranes.

 

“Now what?” She whispered to herself. As usual, she had nothing to do. She usually goes to the hospital’s garden at this hour but Eunbi is busy at the moment so she has no company.

 

She looked outside the window to see if there were a lot of people in the garden. She noticed that most of the people in there are the elderly, some of them are even in their wheelchair with their own nurses. 

 

She was about to leave and go down on her own when she caught a glimpse of a familiar person..

 

That person has long brown wavy hair and was wearing a red top. She was guiding an old grandma, who seems to be a patient here at the hospital, holding her hand to help her walk.

 

Honda Hitomi from Class-2.

 

Chaewon didn’t even realize that she was already staring at the girl. She watched how the girl picked up a dandelion and blew on it. Her lips suddenly turn into a smile, making Chaewon’s cheeks turn red. She finally realized what she was doing and immediately tore her eyes off the girl.

 

------------------------------

 

“What time is Mrs. Lee coming tomorrow again?” Chaewon asked while picking up some dandelions. Mrs. Lee is her private teacher every time she’s in the hospital. Every time she needed to be confined, it always took at least two months or more before she could go out again, so she usually missed a lot of her classes. So in order to catch up, her parents decided to hire her a private teacher.

 

“Around 8 in the morning so you should wake up early tomorrow.: Eunbi answered. “I heard that she will be giving you a test tomorrow, so you better wish that you could ace it.”

 

“Nah, I am confident that I can ace it, even with wishes or not.” She said with a smug smirk before holding up five dandelions on her hand and blew at the all at once.

 

“I wish I could go home soon.”

 

“Yah, what happened to that story you were writing before?” Eunbi suddenly asked while they were strolling in the garden. She suddenly remembered how the younger excitedly squeal every time someone leaves a good comment on her story

 

“Oh, that. I think it’s been a month since the last time I checked on it.” Chaewon shrugged her shoulders. A month ago, Chaewon thought she could die from boredness so she tried on doing something for the first time - and that is writing. That was the first time she tried writing that isn’t a requirement for Mrs. Lee. But after a few chapters, she got bored and decided to discontinue it.

 

“Why? I thought it’s going well, what if a lot of people are waiting for it?” Eunbi asked the younger who is now kneeling down again.

 

“I doubt it, there weren’t 20 of them the last time I checked it. And don’t worry, I only wrote until chapter 5 so nothing to expect on that story yet.” Chaewon explained, 

 

“Yeah right. If only you updated it regularly then maybe you can gather a lot of readers.” Eunbi said, also kneeling down to help her find a lucky clover.

 

“You wish--”

 

“Found one!”

 

------------------------------

 

Chaewon was in the middle of folding her 278th origami when her phone suddenly buzzed multiple times. She looked at it and it was from Yena. She tried to read the messages but is mostly keyboard smashes - the only words that Chaewon could read were ‘Yuri’ and ‘Success’ 

 

Finally getting the context, she quickly dialed Yena’s number and they both squealed in delight.

 

------------------------------

 

Chaewon was now on her 307th crane. She’s folding it by her room’s window to see the view of the hospital’s garden - or more likely, to see someone who is in the garden.

 

Honda Hitomi was picking up some small flowers from the bushes before distributing them to every patient that was in the garden with her. She was smiling so brightly that Chaewon forgot that she was supposed to be folding her paper crane. She halted her movements and just stared outside.

 

A small ladybug suddenly landed on her window, tearing her eyes off from the girl. And that’s when she realized that she was staring too much. She sighed once again before focusing on the ladybug.

 

“Are you here to grant my wish?” She mumbled before closing her eyes to make a wish.

 

------------------------------

 

Chaewon was crying so hard while hugging the waist of her mother. Her parents could only chuckle in their 17-year-old daughter’s embrace. 

 

“Why are you crying so much? Did our dear Chaewonnie miss us so much?” Chaewon didn’t bother the baby talk from her mother, all she cares about is that she’s able to hug them again after a few months.

 

“Happy birthday, Chaewon. We’re sorry to keep you waiting.” Her father said, “Our project was successful so from now on we are able to visit you more.” He added, Chaewon’s smile grew bigger because of that news.

 

“I got the cake!” Yena entered the room with Eunbi while holding a chocolate cake. They set-up a small bed on Chaewon’s bed before placing down the cake. Chaewon closed her eyes to make a wish as everyone in the room watched her intently.

 

“I wish everyone could stay happy like this.”

 

Chaewon opened her eyes after a few seconds before blowing out the candle, missing the chance to see how her mother quickly wiped her tears just before Chaewon could notice.

 

------------------------------

 

“Now don’t stress yourself too much again, I don’t want to see you here any time sooner.” Eunbi said jokingly as she hugged Chaewon who is now in her casual clothes. After doing some multiple therapies and rests, she can now leave the hospital again.

 

“Will do, Eunbi unnie. Thank you for keeping me company again.” Chaewon said before breaking the hug. Her parents came to pick her up from the hospital. After a short farewell between Chaewon with Eunbi and a few of other medical staff who are quite close to her, she went inside the car along with her luggages, 

 

Just before they could go far, Chaewon looked back at the hospital’s entrance only to see Eunbi was now crying and trying to wipe her tears.

 

“Will she miss me that much?” She softly laughed, but then a tear also escaped her eye.

 

------------------------------

 

“Thank God you two finally confess to each other. I thought I would come back with your secrets still unknown to each other.” Chaewon said, sipping on her juice box.

 

“Wait, what? What do you mean by OUR secrets?” Yena asked with a confused tone, Yuri could only giggle beside her.

 

“Yuri actually told me first that she likes you before you could tell me that you have a crush on her.” Chaewon said, trying to hold her laugh because of Yena’s expression. “What?! I thought I am your only friend here?” Yena said, almost standing up from her seat.

 

“Chaewon unnie also told me that you also liked me months ago. I was just waiting for you to tell me directly.” Yuri said, making Yena lose her mind. 

 

“We could’ve been celebrating our 2nd monthsary now.” Yena said in disbelief, making the two other people laugh.

 

Ok, so Chaewon has 2 friends. 

 

------------------------------

 

“Psst! What about you?” Yena said in a hush tone right after Yuri left since she still needs to do something before class starts again. “What about me?” Chaewon looked up from the 310th crane she’s making.

 

“You like someone from Yuri’s class right? What was her name again?” Chaewon suddenly got nervous because of the duck’s question.

 

 “W-what do you mean? I don’t like anybody?” She said, completely looking away from Yena who’s still trying to remember the name.

 

“Ahhh! It’s Hond--” Before she could even continue, Chaewon immediately stuffed some tissues inside Yena’s mouth. “I told you, I don’t like her.” Chaewon said while wiping her hands with drool on Yena’s shirt.

 

“Then what was that for?!” Yena spitted out the tissues inside and Chaewon could only chuckle at her before standing up. “Come on, ducky. Let’s head back to class.”

 

------------------------------

 

Chaewon was currently in the library alone - she was supposed to ask Yena to accompany her, but remembering how loud the girl is, she decided not to. There was an assignment given to their class a day before Chaewon came back, she was also required to submit hers since they have 2 more days before the deadline.

 

Yena offered her assignment for Chaewon, even convincing her that Yuri helped her with it since they did their assignments together, but Chaewon declined it - saying that she wanted to make it herself with her hard work.

 

Chaewon looked around to see if there’s a vacant spot, but there’s none. Everyone also seems to have a companion so it would be awkward to join them. She tried to look for someone who is alone, and thankfully there was one near the corner - just beside the sleeping girl.

 

The table was against the wall and there were only two chairs beside each other. Chaewon was waiting for the librarian to give back her ID for verification when three guys entered. One of them pointed at the table Chaewon was eyeing so she panicked for a bit. When it was their turn to give their ID to the librarian, Chaewon skipped her way towards the table before one of them could get it.

 

Chaewon carefully pulled the chair so it won’t make any noises that could wake the girl beside her. She sat herself down and took out her things and started her work.

 

After an hour, Chaewon managed to finish half of her paper. The other half requires a certain book for reference so she stood up from her seat and went to the front desk.

 

“Excuse me, I’m trying to look for this book.” She said while handling a small piece of paper to the librarian, “Do you know where I can find it?”

 

“Oh, you also need the 4th edition. I don’t think there are any copies left, there were only six copies and five of them were brought home by students. Try to look at the natural science section- isle 4 to see if the last one is there, if not then the student who has it is in here somewhere.” The librarian explained to her. Chaewon went on her way to the direction that was given to her and tried to find the book, but hopefully there wasn’t.

 

Chaewon came back to her seat, planning to call Yena and asked for her assignment when she noticed the book that the girl beside her was sleeping on. She tried to peek at the header of the opened book and realized that it was the same book that she needed. The only problem is, the girl is still sound asleep.

 

She tried to tap and poke her shoulders lightly but no reaction was made. “Psst.” She tapped her multiple times but she only moved her position - she is now lying her head on her arms sideways, and Chaewon could clearly see her face.

 

“Honda Hitomi.”

 

Chaewon was frozen on her seat, now staring at the sleeping face of her seatmate. She suddenly had no idea what to do. The girl suddenly moved in her sleep, scratching her cheeks with her right hand before finally opening her eyes - the first thing she saw was Kim Chaewon’s blank face staring at her.

 

“.” Hitomi mumbled as she straightened her back and fixed her hair. “H-how long have you been here?” She clumsily asked as she fixed her things that were scattered on the table.

 

“I was doing my assignment here for almost an hour now.”Chaewon said with a steady voice, still staring at the girl with blank eyes. Hitomi realized that the older is now staring at her so she looked down to hide her blush. “Do you need something?” She asked in a hush tone.

 

“Yeah, I was wondering if you’re done with that book. I kinda need it for my assignment.” Chaewon answered while eyeing the book. It didn’t even take 2 seconds when the book was suddenly slid to her side of the table. “Here. You can use it first.” Hitomi said with a bright smile.

 

Chaewon was stunned but she managed to reply with a nod and focus back on her work.

 

Chaewon tried so hard not to glance at the person beside her every 5 seconds. The girl was also continuing her work on her laptop. Chaewon thought that she should start a conversation between them but she doesn’t know how.

 

“Do you need help or something?” Chaewon sharply turned her head at the girl who just asked her. “You kept on glancing at me. Is there something wrong with my face?” Hitomi giggled.

 

“Ah n-no. It’s just that…” Think Chaewon, think! “You’re doing the same assignment as me, right? Gen Bio from Ms. Lee?”

 

“Yes haha, that explains why we both need the same book.” Hitomi smiled.

 

“Are you really done though? I mean, was it okay that you gave it to me alrea--” Hitomi can sense that hesitation and nervousness in Chaewon’s voice so she quickly shakes her hand “Ah no, it’s alright really.” She reassured, making Chaewon sigh in relief.

 

“Though I still need it for double checking, do you mind if I peak at it once in a while?” Hitomi asked with a smile and Chaewon nodded in response.

 

A comfortable silence surrounds the two - the book was placed on the middle of the table as they both finish their work.

 

“I’m Kim Chaewon.” Chaewon suddenly introduced herself, not tearing her gaze away from her laptop.

 

“I know.” The girl replied, “I’m Honda Hitomi.”

 

Chaewon let out a small smile, “I know.”

 

------------------------------

 

After an hour of working, they both finally finished their papers. Hitomi stood up from her seat and stretched her arms while Chaewon fixed her things.

 

“Are you going home now, Chaewon-ssi?” Hitomi asked as she fixed her bag.

 

“Yup, my cousin said that she’ll wait for me outside.” Chaewon answered.

 

“Oh good, I’m also waiting for my friend. Should we leave together?” Hitomi smiled at her so how could Chaewon decline her invitation. 

 

They walk beside each other towards the exit of the library. The sun was almost down so there weren't a lot of people left in the campus. 

 

“Let’s wait for them here.” Hitomi let out a sigh and sat at the staircase. Chaewon sat down beside her carefully. 

 

“That was hard. Mrs. Lee has been giving us assignments like we’re college students, don’t you agree?” Hitomi looked at the girl to smile at her, but she was already staring at her with serious eyes. 

 

“What is it--”

 

“Don’t move.” Chaewon said as she leaned her face forward.

 

Hitomi was getting nervous but she still followed. She saw how the girl slowly lifts her right hand to her face and Hitomi’s eyes went wide. Soft fingertips were draped on her cheek for a few seconds until she felt the girl moving away from her.

 

She then realized that Chaewon was now focusing on her palm. 

 

“An eyelash.” Chaewon showed a crooked grin, 

 

“Wha--” Before Hitomi could react, Chaewon made a wish in her mind and blew the eyelash that was on her palm.

 

“Honda Hitomi!” They both turned their heads towards the owner of the voice and saw the familiar red-haired girl with a duck.

 

The couple went up the staircase to reach the two - one was smiling and one was frozen on her seat. Yena had a teasing smile on her face on their way up, making Chaewon lose hers. 

 

“Yah, Tomi why are you so red?” Yuri asked, so Hitomi quickly shook her head and stood up. “Nothing, let’s go.” She said before grabbing her friend’s hand and dragged her down the stairs.

 

“Bye, Yena unnie! I’ll see you tomorrow!” Yuri waved at her girlfriend, Hitomi also looked back and gave the two girls a small bow before running away with Yuri.

 

“Bye babe!” Yena shouted as she watched them until they were lost in her sight.

 

“So what was that-- YAH!” Chaewon was already down the staircase when Yena started talking. She looked back to see the duck waddle her way down with a pout on her face. “So you’re planning to leave me after I personally picked you up here?”

 

“I thought you were behind me.” Chaewon shrugged her shoulders before they started walking towards Yena’s car.

 

“So what was that about earlier?” Yena said with her high teasing voice

 

“What?”

 

“I saw you two earlier. You two were so close like this.” Yena raised her two hands to demonstrate her words.

 

“There was a fallen eyelash on her cheek then I asked her not to move so I could get it.” Chaewon said nonchalantly.

 

“Eyy that’s it?” Yena asked, making Chaewon raise her eyebrow, “What did you expect?”

 

“Oh nothing.” Yena said as they reached her car. Chaewon settled down on the passenger’s seat as Yena drove. Chaewon took out a piece of paper from her bag to work on an origami again.

 

“You have an appointment today, right?” Yena asked.

 

“Yup,” She carefully wrote the number 320 the wings, “You can just drop me off at the hospital. I can take the bus home.”

 

“Nah, it’s alright. I’ll wait for you there. I also want to see Eunbi unnie.”

 

------------------------------

 

Yuri has invited Yena and Chaewon to their lunch table today. Chaewon was walking behind the couple with her tray. She thought that she’ll be a third wheel again - it’s not that she hated it, she actually doesn’t mind - so she was surprised to see Honda Hitomi waiting for them while reading something on her phone.

 

“What are you reading?” Yuri looked at her phone as she sat down beside Hitomi. “How many times are you gonna reread that story?” Yuri laughed.

 

“What story?” Yena asked as Hitomi whined beside her girlfriend,

 

“My 10 wishes.” Hitomi answered with a pout. Chaewon’s ears perked up at the mention of the familiar title. “It’s been more than 3 months since the author updated this story.”

 

Yena let out an ‘Ahh’ as she nodded.

 

“And you’re still waiting for it?” All eyes were on Chaewon when she suddenly joined the conversation.

 

“Yeah. On the last update, the author promised that they’ll be back.” Hitomi said.

 

“It’s a great story though, even if it only has 5 chapters.” Yuri added before taking a bite of her sandwich.

 

“I see.” Chaewon nodded slowly and started eating her food.

 

“What the-- I don’t want your vegetables!” Yena suddenly exclaimed when Yuri removed all the tomatoes from her sandwich and put it on top of Yena’s. Then a series of bickerings from the two followed.

 

-----

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter