11 Blooming Memories

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fantasy, Time Warp

Summary: For as long as Chaewon can remember, her life was within the four walls of her company – dull, boring, a mere repetition of sleeping and going to work. She planned to keep this mundane life but all of this is thwarted when she stumbled upon a mysterious pub.

Word Count: 7677

Hashtag: #SSBB_BloomingMemories

 

Blooming Memories

 

The sun descends below the horizon creating romantic shades of red, yellow and orange in the sky. For some, sunset is a great reminder to rest their minds and hearts. Others regard it as a symbol of a coming dawn - start of renewal. Except for a woman not minding the pleasant view across the glass window of her own office. Said girl, wearing her mint suit, types furiously as she tries to finish the report that her secretary (former as she fired the lazy girl already) fails to submit on time. 

Sighing heavily, the woman rans her hand through her hair as she contemplates about her life decisions. She just fired her third secretary this month, as she's a perfectionist, they all failed to keep up with her. 

She nearly lets out a curse as the door to her office abruptly opened. A blonde came into sight grinning to her widely lips jutting like those of a duck. It was always like this whenever she fired someone, the CTO would barge in with her bright and amazing energy that drains her. 

The CTO flopped on her couch carelessly as she paid no attention and just go back to typing furiously on her personal computer. 

"I heard you fired your secretary again. Chaewon, you should stop overworking the HR, they’re going to have a hard time finding you another one again."

For the most part, Chaewon was undisturbed, fully focusing on getting the task done as it was on deadline, not until, her CTO best friend starts playing a game with full volume on. 

Chaewon groan in annoyance as she glares at her best friend, "This is all your fault, you duck! Stop annoying Yuri on the HR, she can't find me the right secretary because of you"

Yena looked at her seriously which shocked her, when her friend acts like this, it was because she is concerned to her. "I'm saying this not just as a friend but because I'm older than you, Chaewon you should loosen up. It's like your always guarded. Breathe a little, will you?"

She doesn't know how to answer that because deep inside she knows Yena is right. It was exaggerating but her life only revolves on the company. Sometimes, she wonders if the dark circles were worth it. For whom is she doing this for? She got everything but her life feels empty. 

"I will borrow your car so breathe some fresh air okay?" 

"What?" Chaewon stand on her reclining chair as she strides towards her friend and hit her lightly on the head. "You can't really stay serious, can you?"

The latter pouts as she dramatically holds her head, "I read somewhere that walking is therapeutic, you have insomnia, right?"

"Okay" She just agreed right away. Maybe it's a good way to relax her mind. She misses riding the bus anyway. 

***

And maybe she should thank her friend; she was now walking on the way to the train station. She walks peacefully as she observes people walking against and on the same path with her. Others are like her alone, few are with co-workers but the sight that made her chest hurt a little was the ones walking with their family. She shook her head to put away the thoughts that would only make her sad.

She focused her eyes on the stop light showing red across the street. It fascinates her how the colors triggers two opposing emotions - passion and love; anger and danger. Underneath her calm face and personality, hides the thousand thoughts in her head. It would always keep her at night, and it irritates her. 

“Hi, Miss!” An energetic voice snaps her out of trance. Chaewon looked to her both sides and notice that the people beside her already crossed the street. She cursed under her breathe when she noticed that the light is red once again.

The lady started giggling that made Chaewon’s eyes narrow. She looked at mysterious lady who was now laughing with her head almost tilted on the back. It made Chaewon scared; she could be a psycho killer. Or maybe just a crazy woman. Walking is not a great idea!

She eyed the woman cautiously. The still laughing woman has bright red hair and is wearing a light blue Grecian dress which cuts through her thigh on the middle and long on the sides. 

“What do you regret the most?” Chaewon was caught off-guard by the sudden question but after assessing her situation she just glared at the red-haired woman, “Find other person who you can scam, crazy!”

“Feisty, aren’t we?” The woman motions at her back and pointed a vintage looking bar that made Chaewon’s eyes grew wide. It creeped her out – she’s sure that it’s never there before. 

“Luce in Altis”

“I know I’m smart for naming my pub like that.” The woman giggles as she moves her eyebrows funnily. Chaewon snorted, who would use the word pub nowadays? 

“Would you like to come inside? I have something that you would like.”

And perchance Chaewon’s face showed grimaced and forlorn that the red head started shaking her shoulders from too much laughing. Her head sways as well as her arms flailing like choreography.

Wiping the tears that streaks on her face from laughing too much, the weird lady retorted, “You looked fashionable… Chaewon’s mouth turned up in a warm smile hearing the statement. “And you’re pretty too… The young-business woman’s eyebrows twitch, loving the ego-boost the red head is giving her. She was impressed that this uncanny lady has good taste.

“But you’re not my type.” Chaewon’s jaw dropped. It feels like she’s been feed with the most delicious food in the world, only to be killed after. What’s more is that the way the weirdo says the words feels like she’s being compared to someone. 

The red-haired lady raises her arms in mock surrender, “Pardon me for my words but I’m only saying the truth. As I said earlier, I have something that you would like, can we go in now?”

Chaewon doesn’t really know what got into her, she just found herself entering the vintage pub with someone she barely knows. She expected less with the bar, but her eyes almost bulge out, bright lights surround the area. It has nice decorated old ornaments that she could only see in movies. A nice sleek piano placed in the corner also caught her attention but the potent fragrance that lingers the whole area is what she loves the most. She couldn’t explain it, it was not the same cigarette smoke or the drinks from the usual bars she went to. The fragrance has lingering effect that calms and soothes every nerve on her body. 

She hazily sat on the bar rail as she watches the red-haired lady mixed different colors of drinks. Chaewon could tell apart the colors - coral, emerald, pastel pink, yellow, orange, purple and so on but she couldn’t distinguish what type or kind of drinks are being prepared. 

“Are you trying to poison me?”

The red-haired woman shrugs, smiling mysteriously at her. “Depends on how you would define help.”

“And how does drinking your weird concoctions would help me?” 

“It would serve as a bridge”

“A bridge?” Instead of an answer, the woman shoves the peach drink to her.

Like a moth to a flame, Chaewon is captivated by the drink. Really, she doesn't know what had gotten into her, she's too dumb to drink the whole thing without even thinking about the consequences. Maybe it's the fragrant smell. Maybe it's the red-haired lady. Maybe she's just thirsty. Maybe. 

"Open the door to memories~~"

"What?" Chaewon hazily heard the pub owner mumbling something but she's too dizzy to focus on anything. 

"What do you regret the most?" The repeated question made her head throb. It was uncommon to ask to anyone. Probably a simple question but so hard to be answered. Her heart aches for no reason, it was uncomfortable like she had forgotten something. 

"Regrets? I got a few... thousand." She chooses to be silly and sang a line from a song. 

"Then this is for you~" Her right eyebrow twitch in confusion. This lady is crazy or perhaps she's the one crazier for even entering the pub. 

She received a box of matchstick from the red head - an antique to be exact. Chaewon is even wondering if it could still work, a strike could make the stick break. 

"Use the three matchsticks wisely Kim Chaewon. Don't forget to read the instructions." The lady said as she blows air on her face. 

"What do you ---" Chaewon can't continue as she's suddenly feeling sleepy. She tries hard to keep her eyes open, but she can't really fight the force. And suddenly everything went black. 

 

****

Chaewon's eyes shot open. 

Breathing heavily and with sweat dripping from her forehead, she sat on her bed abruptly. 

Wait... her bed? 

"Is that a dream or did I get drunk?" She wipes her forehead as she noticed there are no lights in her room, even on her lampshade. As it was so dark, she gets her phone, but to her annoyance - the contraption was empty in battery. 

Chaewon reached for the drawer beside her bed remembering she keeps candles there. Idiot! She facepalms since she has nothing that could make the candlelight. 

"Maybe I should just wait for the power to get back. Why are there even interruptions here? It's a high-end apartment!"

She just sat on her bed staring at the darkness when suddenly she feels a hot sensation on her pocket. It was tolerable, more like an overheating portable Wi-Fi. 

Realizing it was the same matchbox in her 'dream' earlier, Chaewon shivered from goosebumps. Once again, she was set into trance, suddenly wanting to use the matchstick.  It was not even curiosity at all, her hand feels like it has a mind of its own. 

Just as she thought, the stick is brittle - her first one immediately broke after striking it twice. Hissing in annoyance, she throws it wherever and get another one. 

Once... twice... thrice... It took her three strikes to light the matchstick. The fire slowly blares and burns dancing beautifully on her eyes. As she continues to stare, her surrounding gradually starts to spin, like a camera showing 360 degrees. It felt as if time and space were collapsing. Another spin and everything fade to gray... literally. 

 

****

KOREA 1933 (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!! THIS IS PURELY FICTIONAL AND NOT FULLY RELATED TO KOREAN HISTORY. THE VIEWS OF THE CHARACTERS DOESN'T REFLECT THE OPINIONS OF THE ONE PORTRAYING THEM) 

In the middle of the night at bustling city of Gyeongseong, a young woman is stealthily walking the alleyways. She's wearing a man's suit with her hair safely tucked in under a black cap with white vertical lines. Lowering her gaze, she peeks on her back and saw a bunch of police tailing on her.

It was never easy accomplishing a mission. They could get busted and die. And today is one of the days wherein they almost got caught because of lack of time. Keeping herself calm, as she knows they wouldn't easily recognized her, she turned left.

And she cursed on her mind when the police followed the same path. The woman immediately surveyed the area. She must think quick. It was a matter of life and death. She wouldn't want to waste the efforts of her comrades as she need to deliver a message back to them. 

As she looked further on her right, she found a lady standing on the front of a clothes shop. From behind, her ears caught the sound of feet approaching. She had no other choice. She leaps towards the unaware woman and angled herself perfectly, it would create an illusion that their kissing. The suited woman inhaled sharply when she heard the pairs of foot passing and ignoring them. 

"KIM CHAEWON. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO MEET YOUR PARENTS." She muttered to herself. 

"What was that all about?" An angry snarl brought her back to her senses. Right. She forgot about her current dilemma. Chaewon's breathe hitched when she finally had an eye-to-eye with the woman she cornered. Their faces are so close that she could feel the woman's breathe hitting on her chin. 

Realizations hit her and she instantly stand back when she had a full view of the woman in front of her. 

"You're a Japanese." Chaewon never intend to say that out loud but betrays her anyway. For someone who is a part of Joseon's Women Alliance solely wanting the liberation of their beloved country, she feels conflicted. But thinking logically, she is in this situation because of her mission, right? Her comrades did not see her, anyway. 

"I was waiting silently here when you suddenly came like a thief. Why are you even wearing that suit? I believe it's for a man."

Chaewon was perturbed although she never showed it. She often walked with these types of clothes and no one notice. But this woman has a keen eye. 

"Should I kill her?" Chaewon dropped the thought on her mind as it was in the code of conduct of their alliance that they should not execute anyone unless it is under the command of their head. 

"My deepest apologies for the rude behavior, my lady." She bowed her head acting ashamed of her actions. "I'm afraid I won't be able to answer your question too." It was the best response that she could formulate that time. She's curious as to why the shorter woman was so fluent in their language but she doesn’t have time for that. After muttering another apology, she immediately dashed to the side without looking back. She just hoped they would never meet again. 

It was midnight when Chaewon reached their hideout. At daytime, it was camouflaged as a small diner where various people from different nationalities goes to. 

"Comrade Kim. You're back safely."

Comrade Yoon is acting as the leader of their unit. There are around six units of their alliance around gyeongseong. They have different disguises that can be beneficial for what they are seeking for.  Chaewon doesn't really know anything about their boss except her father was harassed and killed by a drunk Japanese lieutenant. 

"Messenger Shin gave the signal to proceed with the plan. We will attack the office of the minister of foreign affairs exactly ten tonight. If we succeed, all the loots and materials with value will be used to buy more goods from Manchuria. Escape routes had also been plotted."

"And what is my number one rule for you?"

"Try to commence the plan without getting killed." As the youngest in their team, Comrade Yoon worries about her a lot. It was never shown, but Chaewon knows that their leader treats her as a family already. 

****

Chaewon positioned herself on a building near the office of the minister. From where she stood, she could get the perfect bird-eye view of the selfish, cruel, corrupt and pro-Japanese man who abuses his power in every way he can. 

As usual, she was wearing a full-black ensemble completed with mask covering half of her face. From her concealed position, she easily pinned down three guards, stirring the enemy – causing the gunfight to spread sporadically. She keeps her stance and continues firing her rifle, it would be dangerous to lose her stability and control as more and more Japanese police keeps on coming, exceeding their number. 

She cursed on her breathe when someone saw her and fired a pistol on her direction. As she didn’t expect that to happen, a bullet hit her about three inches down from the surface of her right shoulder. Chaewon feels like she’s prick by thousand needles that are burning. Having no other option, she dashed through the stairs to escape. 

 

Hissing through the pain, she muttered to herself, “The hounds showed up early. It seemed like they know we are going to be there.”

 

Chaewon safely arrived at the first street but she’s stucked on the corner hiding as there are suddenly checkpoints ongoing. She planned to seek another place when a pair of Japanese guards move towards her direction. Albeit calm, she was praying for divine intervention as she’s too suspicious to be seen with the blood flowing on her sleeves. 

She was calming her mind, pledging not to say anything about the organization if she ever got caught but someone suddenly covered and carry her effortlessly. The sniper tried to worm her way out of the strong arms, yet her efforts failed as she loss too much blood. A sight of a small hanok was all she remembered before she loses her consciousness. 


 

****

Hushed voices and cluttering chopsticks made Chaewon awake. Her senses heightened and she jolted from the bed only to hissed when she feels pain from her shoulder. Two pair of eyes were suddenly bored to her making her feel small. 

 

“You’re awake.” Chaewon suddenly sit on defensive mode as she realized who is talking to her. It was the same Japanese woman she had encountered with from the last mission. She’s wearing a thick western velvet dress that looks good on her and a stiff beret hat with fringe feather on the top of her head. 

 

“Wait did I just compliment her? But she’s really pretty though.” Chaewon slapped herself causing the other girl whom she identified as the one who carried her to react. “My lady, I think that rebel hit her head on something.” Chaewon glared at what she calculates as younger to her and started to talk in a firm tone. 

 

“You can’t get anything from me. Just kill me already.”

 

What the two ladies did baffled her. They just laugh at her and the youngest told, “You don’t have to worry, my lady is different from them. I know you could move your own, so come here and join us. My lady prepared a portion of food for you too.”

 

Chaewon hesitantly move from the bed and joined them. She’s still wary of the Japanese and what appears to be her servant, but she still believes in humanity. The two helped her and even treated her gun wounds. 

 

“You’re lucky the weapon used appears to be low in lethality scale.” The Japanese told her softly and Chaewon can’t helped but to be mesmerized, she looks smart and witty. She bowed her head to both women to show her gratitude. “I’m really grateful for your help but may I asked why did you help me? You could just turn a blind eye and let me be tortured.” She faced the tallest and youngest among them and said, “Especially you! You are still young, what if you got caught with me.”

 

“Just think of this as a random act of kindness. Ease yourself and relax, the police wouldn’t be able to find you here as Hii-unnie is a part of an influential family.”

 

“Hii?” Chaewon asked trying to clarify if the name is correct.

 

“Yes, my name is Hii and this is Jinnie, she’s right, you could rest here until your wounds are healed.” 

 

“Michelle.” It was a shame but Chaewon couldn’t reveal her identity just like that. She used the name of an American delegate who’s a regular at the diner. The two didn’t ask her so she guess it’s okay. Her gaze focuses on the food and suddenly she feels emotional.”

 

“Don’t you like the food? I could prepare you something new for you.” Hii muttered to her politely.

 

Chaewon smiled, “No. It’s just…  It’s been a long time since someone fixed a meal for me.”

 

The sniper spends her three days healing and partially getting to know Jinnie and Hii. Although, it's mostly the youngest as she could feel the japanese woman puts restrictions too. 

 

But it made her happy. It was the first time she met other people close to her age. She momentarily forgets about her struggles. It made her feel human. 

 

****

 

"What took you so long, everyone's getting worried?" As soon as she entered the diner, Comrade Yoon's face is what she saw first. 

 

"I took a detour to ditch the tail. Bos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter