04 Miles Away From Home ( My Home Is You )

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Action, Angst, Comedy, Dystopia, Fluff, Tragedy

Summary: The elite soldier, Lieutenant Kim, had fallen in love with the medic army came from the Cherry Blossom land, Sergeant Honda. As their relationship blooms amidst a war between Humans and Androids, will they be able to keep their promises?

Word Count: 8787

Hashtag: #SSBB_MilesAwayFromHome

 

Miles Away From Home ( My Home Is You )

 

“Korean Defense Minister, Ms. Kwon Eunbi, Japanese Defense Minister, Ms. Miyawaki Sakura, and our dutiful military personnel, welcome to the 12th South Korea-Japan Alliance Dinner.”

 

“It’s a great honour to have the minister of defense from both sides joining us tonight. I am the Chief presidential secretary of South Korea, Ahn Yujin, here to deliver a message from our president.” 

 

The tall woman in a navy blue suit stood on stage. The cameras were flashing lights in every corner. All the press and military executives had eyes focused on her. Taking a glance at the well-prepared script, Yujin cleared before conveying the message.

 

“The South Korea-Japan alliance has been established and developed in a comprehensive and understanding way. With the alliance we’ve firmly maintained for years, I believe the wicked Androids dominion will be taken down in no time!” 

 

A round of applause filled the hall. People were cheering for the speech. 

 

“Blah blah blah— can they serve the dishes yet?” The person huffed. 

 

“Patience, Lieutenant Choi.”

 

“I’m very hungry, Chaewon-ah!” Lieutenant Choi whined, slipping her right hand back on the table while it was used for resting her head. 

 

The said one jerked her leg sideways, hitting Lieutenant Choi’s left leg. “What did I say about formality?”

 

“Whoops! My apologies, Lieutenant Kim.” Lieutenant Choi smiled sheepishly, looking around to see if any of their colleagues caught her Freudian Slip. 

 

Lieutenant Kim shook her head slightly, asking why she was friends with Lieutenant Choi for the nth time in her mind.       

 

As Ms. Ahn Yujin walked down from the stage after ending her speech by telling everyone to have a good dinner. Several doors in the hall were pushed open, lines of servants walked in with a tray of appetizing food that made Lieutenant Choi drooled like a baby, on their hands. 

 

“I’m gonna take a breather outside. You may eat my portion, Lieutenant Choi.” Lieutenant Kim bid goodbye to other lieutenants as she got up and left the venue. 

 

___________________________________   

 

The view of the capital, Seoul, was magnificent tonight. Closing her eyes, the young Lieutenant took a whiff in the chilly night breeze. Chaewon leaned on the balcony glass pane, simply enjoying the serene moment.    

 

Light footsteps were stepping closer and closer to Chaewon then it stopped beside her. Chaewon could feel the person’s warmth; the person had a nice scent. 

 

“What a view.” The person breathed out.

 

Judging by the voice and the subtle accent, the person who spoke to Chaewon must be a foreigner, mayhaps Japanese. 

 

“What a view indeed.” Chaewon replied, looking over to the lady beside her.

 

She wasn’t expecting to witness a literal beauty standing next to her at all. The presence of the other had caught her off guard.

 

Looking at the lieutenant who had agape, the lady giggled softly. 

 

Realising her discourtesy, Chaewon reined her expression in while fixing her attire. 

 

“Pardon my behaviour.” The lieutenant apologised for her faux pas.    

 

“No worries— Lieutenant Kim. I should be the impolite one for presenting unannounced.” The 

lady bowed slightly.

 

“May I know your name, miss?” 

 

“Honda Hitomi it is. I’m an Army Medic from Japan.”  

 

“Ms. Honda, I see.” Chaewon raised her brows in amusement. “I’ve never seen someone like you around here, is this your first time joining the alliance dinner?” 

 

“Yes, Lieutenant Kim. My fellow partner and I are joining the dinner for the first time.” Hitomi looked around the balcony. “And I’ve lost sight of her after using the restroom.” 

 

“Mayhaps, your partner is back in the hall. The feast started moments ago.” Chaewon pointed at one of the doors outside of the hallway.

 

“Right.” Hitomi followed her gaze and suddenly, the light bulb in her head flickered. “I should’ve gone in there.” Subconsciously, Hitomi wandered off the balcony. 

 

“Wait a minute!” A hand held back her wrist, Hitomi looked back and was greeted by a shy smile. 

 

“Which area will you be working in, Ms. Honda?” Chaewon had an expectant gaze fixed on Hitomi. The lieutenant seemed like she was scrounging an answer for something, which Hitomi had no clue about. 

 

“Oh, I will be working at the camp in Uijeongbu.”    

 

“What a coincidence!” The lieutenant’s eyes widened in amusement. “I’m in charge of training the army in that area. We’ll be working together.” 

 

“Nice.” Hitomi’s eyes crinkled, a smile hung on her face. “I’ll be looking forward to working with you, Lieutenant Kim.” 

 

“Likewise.” Chaewon replied. 

 

Noticing Hitomi was shivering by her side, Chaewon took off her jacket and covered Hitomi with it. “The night is getting colder. You should go inside now, Ms. Honda.” 

 

“What about this?” Hitomi takes hold of the leather jacket.  

 

“Return it to me when you come to the camp.” The lieutenant wore a coy smile.

 

The medic nodded. “Will do. Thanks for the jacket, Lieutenant Kim. See you soon!” Hitomi bid farewell to Chaewon as she went on searching for her partner.


“Pleasure to meet you. Ms. Honda.”

 

___________________________________

 

“Gahd!” Yena grunted, accompanying a yawning Chaewon back to their dorm. It had been a long and tiring day for the soldiers.

 

“Would’ve been nice if I could take a leave and go on vacation.” She leaned towards Chaewon, head resting on the other lieutenant’s shoulder. 

 

Chaewon patted Yena's head, wobbling on the path as she tried to support both of their weight. (It was harder when Yena was the buffer one among them.)  “Where would you choose to go on a vacation?”

 

“Everywhere! Cuba, Taiwan, Japan— anywhere with good food!” Yena chirped.

 

‘This duck, thinking about food 24/7.’ Chaewon chuckled by herself. “And you’re going alone?” 

 

“No?! I’ll take you with me of course!” Yena wrapped her arms around Chaewon’s petite waist, snuggling closer to her friend, making Chaewon harder to walk straight.

 

“Tsk, I’d rather stay here.”

 

“Come on! Chaewon-ah, you’ve been staying in this land for your whole life!”

 

“There are a lot more fascinating places and people yet to be discovered by us!” 

 

Chaewon shook her head. “Thanks for the invite but I’ll take a rain check, just bring your love interest with you.” 

 

Yena froze. Sensing the tensed up duck, Chaewon also stopped in place. “Are you alright, unnie?” 

 

“I have a confession to make.” Yena shifted her gaze from Chaewon, looking down at the ground.  

 

“W-what is it?” 

 

‘C-confession? No way! I-is this unnie—’


“You know, Chaewon-ah.”

 

“I think I’ve fallen in love with…










 

 Yuri.” 

 

“Thank god!” Chaewon let out a sigh of relief, “Wait— Yuri as in the noob private in your platoon?!” 

 

“Hey! S-she’s improving, okay!?”

 

“As she should, she is getting trained by the best trainer in the camp."

 

Chaewon smirked. “What was it about her that caught your eye, unnie?”

 

“Well……” Blushes started creeping onto Yena’s cheeks. “She’s adorable. Her smile, her expressions, her manner— everything about her makes my heart burst!” 

 

“How are you sure she’s the right one?”

 

“I just do.”

 

“Every day feels like spring ever since she has walked into my life.”  

 

Even though Chaewon didn’t understand that feeling, she nodded along. 

 

“So, are you gonna do something about it?”

 

“Of course! I’ll chase after her.”

 

“But you know the rules, unnie. We can’t date the small troopers, not openly at least.”

 

“Don’t worry. I’ve got a plan.”


“After the war, I’ll retire and maybe open an arcade or a dance studio. Then, I’ll use my free time to go on dates with Yuri.” Being immersed in her imagination, Yena almost slipped on a banana 

peel if not Chaewon had caught her first.  

 

“Anyway, enough about Yuri and I. How about you? Is there— anyone in your mind right now?” Yena wiggled her eyebrows, which caused Chaewon to look at her in disgust. 

 

Since that meeting at the balcony, Hitomi had been lingering in her thoughts. No doubt, Chaewon was attracted to the medic. 

 

After working with Hitomi for six months, she got to know more about her. Hitomi was more than just pretty. She is intelligent, quick-witted, and outstanding as a soldier. 

 

Hitomi and her partner, later self-introduced as Nako, weren’t only good at guiding and aiding soldiers but also excelled in combat fights as well as rifle shooting.  

 

They were strict during the training. However, people who work around them knew these two medics came from the Cherry Blossom land were cordial and fun to hang out with. Not to mention their visuals were a plus.

 

Hitomi is lovely. Despite receiving much attention in the camp; more and more people asking her to join them during lunch, Hitomi had always chosen to sit with Chaewon.

 

The medic liked to talk about bread, which Chaewon found amusing. From creamy bun to baguette, Honda Hitomi claimed she had tasted every bread in the world. 

 

Though the lieutenant wasn't buying it, who would have a heart to interrupt this cutie in the middle of her bread speech? 

 

So Chaewon listened, munching her food while her favourite podcast was broadcasting live.

 

She was bewitched by the medic's unique charm. (Who wouldn't?)

 

However, being stressed out and anxious about the war incoming for weeks, dismantling the entire troop of Androids and ending the war for good was all she cared about. 

 

“Nah, I don’t think so.”


___________________________________

 

“Ma’am! Lieutenant Kim has been injured!” 

 

“Bring her in quick!” 

 

A skinny rookie strenuously carried the wounded Lieutenant into the tent. Chaewon was unconscious. A bullet had been engraved on her right arm. There were a few open bruises on her temple and abdomen.  Blood dripping down from her face, staining the bloody uniform more.

 

“Nako, I need the tools!” Sergeant Honda firmly pressed on the nonstop bleeding gunshot wound with her palms while waiting for her partner to bring her medical supplies. 

 

“Please hang it there, Lieutenant Kim.” The medic murmured albeit Lieutenant Kim had already fainted.


















 

"Stay down you idiot!" Lieutenant Kim instructed a soldier while shooting the android army in the battle.

 

She went along the trenches, killing every metal figure she ran into along the way. 

 

"Lieutenant Choi!" The called person searched for the voice. Shooting down the androids approaching her, she ran towards Lieutenant Kim's side.

 

"Why did you go alone!? Are you out of your mind!?" 

 

"No, I wasn't! These scrap metals have fooled me with their disguise as one of us!"

 

"What the ? How are you not dead?!"

 

"DID YOU WANT ME TO BE?!" 

 

The Androids were pushing the line, they had to retreat back to their base or else both will bite the dust.

 

"Follow me!" Lieutenant Kim ordered.

 

She led the way back to their base. The journey was going smoothly, the Androids hadn't caught on to their location until they reached the bridge. The sound of a bullet penetrating rang through Lieutenant Kim's ears, then she felt a stinging pain on her right arm.

 

"!" She silently cursed while palming the bullet wound with her other hand.

 

"Chaewon-ah!" Lieutenant Choi immediately dashed over to carry the injured soldier.

 

"You good?"

 

"Yeah, still breathing. Take me to the base and help me lead the troop." Lieutenant Kim gritted her teeth.

 

Lieutenant Choi took her comrade to the base and ordered soldier Jo Yuri to get Lieutenant Kim treated by the medics. As the only standing Lieutenant in the war, Lieutenant Choi had to make sure the rest of the soldiers got to return home safely.








 

"Hmm……" Chaewon woke up, groaning in pain. 

 

She squinted her eyes, trying to take in the brightness attacking them. 

 

White walls, white curtains, and a white bed. The sound of beeping was heard throughout the strange room.

 

Chaewon didn't feel like waking up so she lay in bed, staring blankly at the plain walls.

 

Quietly, the doorknob turned. A nurse walked in with a bucket and a wet cloth.

 

When the nurse had noticed a pair of eyes on her, she turned to the side and found that Chaewon had regained consciousness.

 

"Oh, Lieutenant Kim, you're awake!"

 

Chaewon nodded, closing her eyes. 

 

"I'll go get the doctor, please wait a minute." The nurse closed the door as she went out, leaving Chaewon all by herself again.

 

Few minutes later, Hitomi walked into the ward with a clipboard. She wore a white robe, a pair of gold frame glasses. Her hair was tied to a ponytail. The medic was looking professional, but Chaewon couldn't help finding the medic really attractive in her outfit.

 

"Good afternoon Chaewon-ssi, how are you feeling right now?" Hitomi asked with a polite smile.

 

"It's— alright, my head feels a little heavy though…..."

 

The medic nodded while taking down the notes. 

 

"How is the war going?" 

 

"Unfortunately, we've lost our first defence line but our backup line is strong and packed with heavy artillery. The captain said the Androids will soon be destroyed once the backup line steps foot into the battlefield."

 

Hitomi stopped writing and looked at Chaewon. "Your right arm needs more time to recover, so you will be staying here until I am sure a relapse will not happen on your arm easily."

 

"My arm is fine. This is not the first time. I can still fight—" said Chaewon as she tried to get up from the bed only to be pushed back down by a pair of hands.

 

" ’Not the first time’ is exactly why I'm keeping you here. Chaewon-ssi." Hitomi spoke in a firm tone. “You are not allowed to leave.” 

 

What a bold woman, Chaewon thought. There hadn’t been once the Lieutenant was restrained by the medics, no matter how badly injured she was. Chaewon is tough and domineering. She wasn’t going to cooperate and just sit in a hospital that reeks of sanitiser.  

 

“Hands off, Ms. Honda.” Chaewon swatted Hitomi’s hands off herself. “I do what I want to do.”

 

"Nuh uh, not on my watch."

 

Chaewon squinted her eyes, rising up from the bed. "Perhaps you still haven't figured out how this hospital operates," she pointed a finger towards herself, "They listen to me."

 

The medic chuckled, entertained by the lieutenant's wonderful expression. "I'm sorry to say, Chaewon-shi but—"

 

"—new chief, new rules."

 

"You don't order me—" A smirk forming on her face. "Private with a health kit."

 

The medic raised her eyebrows, "I'm not a normal private, Chaewon-shi." 

 

"You shouldn't disrespect my position." Her face turned serious as she stared at Chaewon with a blank face.

 

"Then you shouldn't do the same to me," Chaewon disputed, "I'M the First Lieutenant. Who are YOU to order me—"

 

Suddenly, Chaewon felt her shirt collar being forcefully pulled by a pair of hands. The medic 

shot her a stern gaze, tightening her hold on the lieutenant’s collar. 


“This is the hospital and YOU listen to THE DOCTOR.” 

 

Chaewon gulped in hesitation, searching for a sharp remark to snap back while trying to not get flustered by how close the girl was in front of her. (She had failed to do so.)

 

Hitomi leaned in closer to her as she whispered, “You better obey me right now, or else the next time you come back here with arm injuries I’m gonna amputate it and put a prosthetic arm on you.”

 

“You wouldn’t want to feel like part of the scrap metal, right?” 

 

Accepting her defeat, Chaewon nodded silently.


“Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

 

___________________________________

 

As the brilliant captain had predicted, the war ended on a victory note for the humans. The military threw a celebration in the grand hall of the headquarters. Chaewon, who had fully recovered, went to congratulate her fellow comrades as well as to express her regret for not being able to join and fight for this battle. 

 

“You don’t have to be sorry, Lieutenant Kim.” said Lieutenant Choi, resting her arm on her shoulders, “I should thank you for saving my life back then.” 

 

Moving over to their seats, Chaewon caught a glimpse of the medic. Ms. Honda looked remarkably stunning that night. She wore a simple no-sleeve black dress, showing off her glabrous skin. The corset belt boldly accentuated her slim waist, the cuff bracelets adorned her delicate hands. The entire outfit oozed elegance; she is the epitome of a graceful black swan.    

 

Upon noticing the lieutenant, Hitomi nodded and kindly returned a smile before immersing back into the conversation going on around her. 

 

Soon, everyone's heads were a little heavy because of the alcohol. Chaewon was feeling tipsy as she stumbled towards a certain table. 

 

“No, Nako-chan. I’m not taking another shot—” A tap on the table disrupted the conversation between the Japanese. Everyone looked up in confusion and saw the lieutenant by the table. “Are you— okay, Lieutenant Kim?” 

 

“May I talk to you— privately, Ms. Honda?” The medic immediately stood up, ushering her to the outside, “Is your arm okay? How much wine did you take just—”
 

“Wait!” Turning their head, Hitomi recognised the shout from her best friend, Nako. “Hii-chan! Will you come back here? Do I have to wait for you later?” The latter spoke in Japanese.

 

“Uh— it’s alright Nako-chan! Leave without me! I’ll see you at the dorm.” Hitomi quickly flashed a smile as she left the hall with Chaewon.    








 

After struggling with keys at the door, Chaewon finally got in her room. 


“I’ve never seen someone having that much of a hard time unlocking doors.” Feeling giggly, Hitomi entered the room while shaking her head. 

 

Chaewon remained silent, facing backwards.

 

“Why? Are you sulking, Chaewonie?” Hitomi half-jokingly said as she stepped closer to the lieutenant.

 

Hitomi flinched as her back hit the cold wall. 

 

Resting her hands at both sides, Chaewon slowly looked up at her with an enigmatic smile, her charming brown eyes bore through Hitomi’s soul.

 

Endearing, this is the Chaewon that Hitomi wanted.

 

“What a daring yet impressive dress you’ve worn, Ms. Honda. Was it for someone in the hall?”

“It was,” Wrapping her arms around Chaewon’s shoulders, Hitomi continued. “And it seems that the person has noticed.” 

 

A smirk crept onto the lieutenant’s face, “Well you see, Ms. Honda—” 

 

“I remember that time when you pushed me back to the bed and yelled at me.”

 

She breathes in her ear.

 

“You were pretty hot there.”














 

The night was young, so were them. 








 

Closing the gap between them, Chaewon and Hitomi shared a passionate kiss. Though it was their first kiss, there was a lot of raw emotion in the way she nibbled on Hitomi’s bottom lip. Maybe it was the intoxication that has brought out the sensuous side of Chaewon. The pounding of her heart only intensified as the kiss deepened. 

 

The lieutenant pulled away to take a peek at the medic. Hitomi had her eyes half-lidded, gasping for air due to the inexperience in kissing. She held onto Chaewon as she felt her knees weakened.

 

‘Thank god, this isn’t a dream.’ Chaewon thought.

 

She leaned in, claiming again. 







 

That night, Nako went to sleep by herself.

 

___________________________________

 

“LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED WOOOO!!” Yuri jolted as Yena’s unannounced and unnecessarily screams blared through her ears. 

 

“Will you please keep your duck mouth shut, unnie.” Covering her ears, Nako silenced Yena while budging the girl to get in the train. 

 

Seeing such ridiculous scenarios unfolded in the public, Chaewon massaged her temples, thinking how many more embarrassing moments would happen during this trip. Meanwhile, the girl she was holding hands with, Hitomi, chuckled at the sight. 

 

“Let’s get on the train, Chaewonie.”




 

They were granted a summer break from the Captain after the victory battle against the Androids. Therefore, five of them planned a relaxing and healing trip to SokCho city.

 

After dropping off their luggages in the hotel, the first place they went to is the beach. 

 

“Alright, who’s gonna be the judge?” Yena smirked as she looked at Nako, holding a beach ball. Which earned an eye-rolling from the younger. “Of course it’s me, screw you couples.” The latter stepped forward and snatched the ball from Yena’s grip.

 

“Rock, paper, scissors and the winner gets the ball.” 

 

It was Yena competing against Chaewon.

 

“Rock…...”

 

“Paper…...”

 

“Scissors!”

With one putting out rock as the other putting out paper. Chaewon won the game, smiling triumphantly at her partner while Yena groaned in annoyance. 

 

“Let’s see who will smile til’ the end, Kim Chaewon.” Yena taunted as she went back to Yuri’s side, getting into her competitive mode.   

 

It had been a long time since they have had this much fun. For once, they got to live in a peaceful moment. It was like they went back to the time when they were still children, free from predicament, free from warzone, free from pain and death. 

 

Annoying cheers, loud bickering, trivial quarrels, Chaewon loves it. She found herself fondly staring at her friends (especially her girlfriend) making a mess on the shore. To her, it felt like home; and she treasures it, a lot.

 

Yena who had her lower body fully soaked in the seawater tried to retaliate as Nako jumped on her and splashed more salt water onto the poor duck’s face. While Yuri watched Yena’s suffering with compassion, Hitomi only laughed hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter