Chapter Five

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What did you just do?!” Wheein shouted beside me, looking at me with her eyes wide open.

I looked at her while still stirring the pot and my eyebrows furrowed from confusion. “What? You said add the rice cakes, fish cakes and onion”

“I said after, Yong. After the seasoned stock is boiling.” She reached for the spatula but I instantly held her wrist and stopped her from the attempt while she frowned at me. Her eyes landed on the electric stove, which made her frown even more. “And I said medium high heat. Why is the stove in full heat?” she said exasperatedly, pressing buttons on the electric stove to lower down the heat.

“I told you to sit down and just watch.” I placed the spatula inside the pot and left it there as I held Wheein's shoulder. I turned her around and pushed her to the kitchen island.

“But you were ruining everything” she whined in front of me.

“And you kept on moving your hands when you’re supposed to let it heal. Now, sit down and just watch”

“You already ruined it” she whispered before she groaned while I just smiled behind her.

“No, I didn't.” I pulled a stool by the kitchen island for her before I watched her sit on it and sigh heavily as she pouted at me. I smiled and winkd at her before I went back to cooking.

Wheein and I grabbed a quick brunch after we went out from her office this morning. Since her hands are still currently healing from injuries, I forbid her to use them for the time-being. She kept on protesting, saying that she could move them slowly without hurting herself, but I stood with the decision on not letting her use them. I fed her at the hospital food court. She was whining and groaning the whole time, afraid to be seen by her colleagues, which was a huge contrast to my smiling face. 

When we went back to the penthouse, I asked her about the grocery bags that were still on top of the kitchen counter. She said she planned on cooking tteokbokki for my birthday. She also had a cake for me in the refrigerator. I squealed in excitement when I found out about this. And since I still refuse to let her use her hands, even though it was my birthday, I offered to cook it. By the time it was almost dinner time, the kitchen was a mess because of me and her non-stop whining for letting her cook it instead.

When I thought it was done, I excitedly scooped a bowl and walked to her. I stood in between her legs and fed her a spoonful of it. “How was it? Is it good? Is it bad?”

She  flinched for a split second before she looked at me with an obvious forced smile on her face as she nodded. “So it’s bad?” I asked, raising my eyebrows at her and trying not to laugh at her adorable face.

She repeatedly shook her head and blinked at me, looking all so innocent.

“It’s good that it’s making you speechless?” I asked, playfully narrowing my eyes at her.

She immediately nodded again.

I raised one of my eyebrows at her and tasted my cooking myself while her eyes opened wide.

How do you even consider this food?!

I placed the bowl and spoon on the kitchen island and grabbed my phone beside it to order tteokbokki instead.

“What are you doing?” Wheein asked.

“Ordering food. That’s obviously inedible” I said, pointing at the pot of tteokbokki I cooked behind me.

“But what about the one you cooked?” she asked, pouting at me while I held the phone to my ear.

“Do you want to eat it?” I asked, raising my eyebrows at her while listening to the ringing on my phone.

She shook her head hesitantly.

I laughed at her adorable face and cupped her cheek with my free hand. When the call connected, I leaned forward to kiss her forehead before moving away to order our food. After I finished the call, I went back to the kitchen to find Wheein cleaning the mess I made in there. I sighed and moved closer to her. I grabbed the cloth from her hand, careful not to hit her knuckles and said, “Sit down. I told you not to use your hands”

“But it’s your birthday. Shouldn’t you be the one who’s sitting down? I should be the one doing all the work” she whined once again.

“I told you already. Whether it’s my birthday or not, I won’t let you use your hands until they’re completely healed”

“I can still move them. My knuckles had stopped bleeding already. Let me at least work on small chores” she said, softly stomping her foot on the floor.

“You could’ve done all the work you wanted to do if you weren’t so aggressive this morning.” I stoppedcleaning the table to give her my full attention.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes before she whispered, “She deserved it”

“Fine. But do you really have to do it until your knuckles bleed? Until your hands are already bruising?” I asked as I shook my head disapprovingly.

Her glare was back once again as she looked at me intently. “She cheated on you. Only stupid people does that”

Her eyes were quite intimidating even though I know the glare wasn't directed to me even when her eyes were right on me. I sighed heavily as I moved closer to her while she continued rambling.

“You don’t deserve that. You deserve more than that”

I cupped her cheeks and just looked at her while she went on, never stopped moving from her ramblings.

“She should’ve talked to you. She should’ve fixed the problem. She should’ve taken care of you and love you. She should’ve… Hmm…”

I cut her rambling off by kissing her lips. Then I showered her lips with kisses before I pulled back and smiled at her surprised face. Her eyebrows held up as she opened her eyes wide at me. Her face slowly turned red as a blush crept up to her face.

“I’ve heard that a lot of times, Wheein” I said to her shocked face while still cupping her cheeks. “I’ve heard of that already. So stop being so frustrated and let me just take care of you now, okay?”

She closed her eyes and pouted at me, wanting to protest but still nodded at me nonetheless. I smiled at her and quickly kissed her pouting lips, surprising her again before I placed a kiss on her forehead. Then I went back to clean the mess I made in the kitchen when it seemed that she doesn't want to protest anymore.

 

I woke up late the next day since it’s the weekend and I don’t have to go to work. That’s good news. What’s bad news is on weekends, I would be alone all by myself in the house because Wheein wakes up early in the morning to go to her hometown.

I yawned when I exited my bedroom before gathering my hair up in a bun. I went to the sink and made myself some coffee. We still have leftovers yesterday so I pulled that out and heated it instead of cooking breakfast from scratch.

When all was ready and heated, I moved to the kitchen counter and devoured my breakfast. After I finished everything, I moved all the used utensils to the sink and washed them. I smiled, thinking how things seemed to go back to normal. They’re even better now.

I went back to my bedroom to grab a quick shower. I dried my hair before wearing an oversized shirt, and a pair of denim shorts. I went out of my bedroom again, bringing my laptop and some papers that I need to review. I placed all of them on the dining table and went to the fridge to grab my pineapple juice.

I was steadily working for almost an hour when I heard the doorbell ring. I put down my glasses, pulled back my chair and walked to get the door. I jumped, startled, from a sudden opening and closing of the door behind me. I was so shocked when I saw Wheein wearing her sweatshirt and baggy pants and her hair up in a ponytail walking past me. I blinked rapidly, confused as to why she was here on a weekend while I stayed standing in the living room. I opened my mouth to ask her why but she spoke first.

“I’ll grab the door. That’s for me” she said when she passed me, and walked to the door.

My eyebrows dipped lower, getting even more confused when I still couldn’t make sense of everything.

Why is she here?

Not that I’m complaining, but I normally have the house by myself on weekends. This was the first time, ever since we lived together, that she’s here with me on a weekend.

Who’s visiting her?

She never mentioned any visitor yesterday when she had the opportunity to tell me when we were talking over dinner.

Curious, I stayed in the living room to see who her visitor was. When Wheein opened the door, a middle-aged woman carrying a baby, probably around two to three years old and most likely a girl because of the clothes, and a baby bag came inside the house. Wheein moved around the woman to kiss her cheek and motioned for the woman to pass the baby to her. The baby instantly giggled as Wheein lifted her and blew kisses on her tummy.

“Sweetie, what happened to your hands?” the woman asked Wheein as she removed her shoes.

Sweetie?! Okay, what is going on?

My first assumption from that s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter