Chapter Thirteen

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~ Fall, Four Years Ago ~

 

Wheein's Mom would be staying with us in the penthouse since she’s doing some work here in the city. She arrived earlier this morning and will be leaving tomorrow. We plan to have dinner together in the penthouse tonight before she'll be going home tomorrow.

Now, I'm on my way to the hospital since Wheein drove me to work this morning and so that we can go home together. I instantly shivered when I got out of the taxi. I wore a black turtleneck long-sleeve shirt, black leather jacket over it, a thick white with black horizontal stripes scarf, black skinny jeans and black leather ankle heeled boots. It isn't even winter yet but the fall wind is clearly mad at me. I completely wrapped myself with clothes but the layers I have on aren't doing its purpose.

I rubbed my palms together and blew on it as I hurriedly walked towards the hospital entrance. When I got in, I took a moment to revel on the warmth the hospital building provided before walking towards the elevator doors. I wasted no time and walked out of the elevator right away when I reached Wheein's office floor. My steps were stopped short when I saw Wheein standing by the nurse's station near her office.

That new nurse. That new nurse who's been testing my patience for the past few weeks is wrapping her arm around Wheein's waist. Again. That new nurse who's been clinging to Wheein ever since she got hired in this hospital. And that new nurse is definitely making me fume with so much anger right now.

I stayed back and observed, like what I've been doing every time I caught her acting like a leech towards Wheein. I only brought this one up to Wheein one time. I told her that I witnessed how that new nurse is flirting with her but I reassured her that I wasn't mad at her. I am confident of our relationship and I know Wheein isn't the type of person who cheats. She hates cheaters and there is no way she would be one herself.

Wheein, on the other hand, wasn't doing anything. She wasn't reciprocating towards her actions and advances. She wasn't doing anything at all. And that's the problem. The new nurse would always cling to her even when she made it clear that she's already in a relationship. Even when I straight up hugged and kissed Wheein right in front of her, she wouldn't stop at all because Wheein wasn't doing anything as well.

I am jealous. I admit. But I've never acted on it because that kind of feeling is very toxic to any relationship. It questions your trust. It questions your loyalty. It most importantly questions the strength of your relationship. I've been telling myself not to be mad, to calm down, and to believe in Wheein. But I guess everyone has their limits. I clamped my jaw tight and tried to control my breathing before I started to move once again.

When I was near the nurse's station, I looked at them. They both looked so cozy with each other. From someone else's point of view, they might think that the two of them were in a relationship because of how close they are. Hell, they even looked like a couple in my perspective.

"Wheein, I'll wait in your office" I said, not bothering to greet her and just continued walking. I even caught a glimpse of the nurse smirking at me as she tightened her hold on Wheein when she saw me.

it. I'm definitely losing my mind right now.

I sat on the bench across Wheein's table inside her office and rubbed my freezing palms on my face as I inhaled and exhaled deeply from anger. I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled it softly from stress. I honestly don't want to get mad. I tried everything within me not to get mad but I can't. I really can't. I could even feel my tears pooling in my eyes because of the anger that I've been containing inside me. I blinked fast as I huffed a huge air out of me.

When the door opened and Wheein came in, I immediately stood up and told her, "Let's go"

She looked at me, brows meeting in the middle, while her worried eyes scanned my face. I looked away. I have to look away in order not to say something I would definitely regret. I need to calm myself in order not to do something I would regret.

She moved closer to me, her arms reaching out to me, as she asked, "Is there something wrong?"

I held her hands, stopping them before they reached me, squeezed them before dropping them and walked across her as I said, "Let's go." I went directly to her office's door and turned the knob.

"Yong?" she called out from behind me but I ignored it as I walked out of her office, not bothering to look and respond at her.

When I was halfway to the elevator in the hallway, I heard her hurried steps before I saw her from my peripheral putting on her black coat. I clasped my hands behind my back, thinking that she might hold it. I wanted to avoid every touch of her as possible as I ran my bottom teeth on my upper ones, working my jaw to stop myself from doing further damage.

Once inside the elevator, I went to the farthest corner, leaned on it and closed my eyes as I zoned out everything around me, most especially Wheein. I felt her hands cup my cheeks but I'm very determined not to look at her or listen to her. My brows are scrunched together as a million curses run in my head, worsening my already contained anger.

When the elevator dinged, signaling our arrival on the ground floor, I opened my eyes, but didn’t look at her, and pulled away from her touch to walk across and exit the elevator. I walked as fast as I could out of the hospital.

When I arrived here earlier, all I could think was the cold. Now, I do not even register the coldness around me as my mind kept on wandering on how, not even a single effort, Wheein never stopped that new nurse from flirting and attaching herself to her.

I already located her car earlier, so I headed there right away. I was almost there when I felt a hand closed around my wrist and stopped me from walking. Wheein then, moved in front of me and looked into my eyes.

"Yong, what happened? What's wrong?" she asked, eyes scanning my face before focusing on mine.

I am still breathing heavily from anger but I held her stare and said between clenched teeth, "I don't want to talk about it right now. Let's go. Your Mom is already waiting"

"I'm not moving here unless you talk to me. Please, tell me what's wrong" she begged, moving a step forward closer to me.

I tugged my arm away from her hold and said again, "Can we just go? I really don't want to talk right now"

And that's true. As much as I wanted to solve this issue between us, I just wanted to face things one at a time. We still have to face her mother and there's still my problem with trying to refrain myself from bursting mad right now. I don't want to do something I would regret because of how intoxicated my mind is, straying away from being logical. 

I moved forward again and headed to her car. I grabbed the handle and tried to open it but it was still locked. I dropped my hand and looked at Wheein who's walking closer to me.

"Unlock this" I demanded. 

"I'm not opening it unless you tell me what's wrong" she said, starting to get irritated by me.

"You either unlock it or we'll be freezing to death here" I retorted back.

"Fine" she said, her brows dipping low. "We'll talk inside"

She pressed a button from her car key then her car beeping followed right after it, indicating the car had already been unlocked. I immediately went inside, fastened my seatbelt once I'm already seated and leaned as far away as possible from the driver's seat.

Wheein climbed in, turned the car on to turn on the heater, and then I saw her face me from my peripheral.

"What's wrong?" she asked softly, trying a calmer approach.

"I don't want to talk about it," I responded stubbornly.

"Why are you making things hard, Yong?" she asked exasperatedly.

I didn't bother to respond to her as I'm still dealing with my own anger that’s about to burst any second now. I clamped my mouth shut, pressed my teeth hard against each other, and continued to breathe heavily as I tried not to combust. 

"Yong, talk to me. Give me something here. I don't even know what I did wrong"

I whipped my head at her to glare at her. "That's the problem, Wheein. You don't even realize what you have been doing that's why it kept on happening" I hissed at her.

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused. 

I closed my eyes and shook my head as I tried to hold myself back. I am starting to slip away from being rational and I don't want to be completely overcome by my anger. That's the last thing I wanted.

Knowing myself when I'm angry, I might say a lot of things I didn't mean because of my want to satisfy my anger. I might unconsciously say words that would hurt the person on the receiving end because all my mind and heart were telling me is to inflict pain just like how the other person is making me feel. I might want the person to be subjected under the same situation that I am in. It’s amazing and scary how anger would flip a person to someone you couldn’t recognize, even if that said person is yourself. And I don't want to be like that, especially now. Especially towards her.

I opened my eyes again and looked at her intently. "We'll talk later. Your Mom's waiting for us"

She glared back at me, wanting to protest, but decided to shut and drove us back to the penthouse. The drive back to the penthouse was unbearable. The air was so thick with tension that I started to breathe heavier the longer I'm inside the car. It's starting to feel suffocating that I never even waited for the car to come to a full stop when she parked it and just got out of it right away.

I didn't wait for her once I'm out and just went to the elevator doors. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter