Chapter Ten

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~ Spring, Six Years Ago ~

 

It has been months now since I asked Wheein to wait for me and to be patient with me. However, I still couldn’t find myself to confess to her. It’s so stupid but I really don’t understand why. Everytime she goes home from my apartment, I try to say it. Everytime I go home from her penthouse, I attempt to say it. And everytime she picks me up or I pick her up or if we went our separate ways after meeting, I helplessly try to say it. I ended up opening and closing my mouth instead, unable to do it.

The thought of saying it back to her consumed my mind so much. When I convinced myself it is okay to finally confess to her because I truly mean it, I ended up being a nervous mess. I am just thankful that Wheein is very patient with me. I don’t know what to do if not for that.

 

I tightened my coat around me when I got out of the taxi when I reached the hospital. I’ve been here a lot of times that the guards and the nurses at the reception desk would just smile and nod their heads at me, and would not inquire about my purpose of visit anymore. I smiled and nodded my head back while blowing my heads when I walked towards the elevator.

When I got inside the elevator, I pressed the button on the floor of Wheein’s office and stayed at the side, leaning on the wall as the elevator doors were slowly closing. I jumped and leaned away from the wall when a hand was inserted in between the doors, stopping them from fully closing. I hurriedly pressed the open button from the panel for whoever was outside.

The person outside stood frozen. Her eyes went wide from shock when our gazes met whie I unconsciously mirrored her expression. When the elevator doors were closing once again, we were pulled out of trance. She hurriedly went in just as I was motioning for her to come in.

We smiled at each other and hugged as I said, “It’s been so long since we’ve seen each other”

“It really is,” she said, chuckling as we pulled away from the hug.

“Oh, what floor?” I asked her as the elevator slowly brought us upwards.

She glanced at the panel before she said, “We’re just heading on the same floor”

I nodded and smiled back at her. “How are you, Byul? You’re still working in Japan right?”

She smiled back and nodded at me. “I’m fine. Still the same. And yes, I’m still working in Japan. How about you, Yong?”

“Oh, I’m good. Really good”

Byul and I went to the same university when we were in college. Out of all the people who courted me, she was probably the only one whom I genuinely liked back then. We almost got into a relationship but Byul got hired to work overseas right after graduation. Things between us were left hanging after that. She went to work in Japan while I stayed here and pursued my graduate studies.

“What are you doing in the hospital? You’re not sick, aren’t you?” I asked Byul as we got out of the elevator and walked beside each other since we're heading towards the same direction.

“Oh, no. Not me” she said as she shook her head. “My younger sister has a benign brain tumor. I flew here right away when my mother told me about the news. That’s why I’m here. They’re still talking with the doctor while I dealt with something on the ground floor”

“I’m sorry to hear about that”

“It’s okay. We were able to find the best neurosurgeon and she said that there’s nothing to worry” Byul said, glancing briefly to smile at me.

I smiled so wide, thinking that she’s probably referring to Wheein and nodded at her. “That’s good to hear then”

“How about you? What are you doing here? You don’t look sick either”

“I’m not” I said, chuckling at her. “I’m just here to visit someone”

She nodded at me while we walked in silence. Byul was fidgeting and restless beside me so I kept asking her if she was okay. She said that she’s fine and that there’s nothing to worry about but she still kept on fiddling with the buttons and pocket of her coat. She’s been sighing every now and then too like she’s nervous about something.

When we reached Wheein’s office, we both stopped and stared at each other. She was looking at me nervously and averting my gaze from time to time while I stared at her with my eyebrows raised, curiously watching her.

“Yong?” she called, finally holding my gaze on her.

“Yes, Byul.” I nodded, encouraging her to continue.

She closed her eyes to release a deep sigh while I waited for her. I think I know where this is going since she was also like this when we were in college. But I decided to wait and not intervene since I don’t know what to do to make her less disappointed.

“I missed you” she whispered, opening her eyes again to look at me.

I gave her a small smile and said, “I missed you too, Byul”

“I told you already when we were in college how much I liked you, Yong. You remember that?”

“I did. I never forgot about that, Byul”

She nodded her head and gulped before she continued. “It’s still you, Yong. All these years, it’s still you. I’ve been away and I tried to look for someone else but I couldn’t. I still like you”

There it is.

I have to close my eyes and bend my head low because I don’t know how to make this less painful for both of us; from the disappointment for her and for not being able to make it less disappointing for me. If this was a few years ago, I wouldn't be very conflicted.

“I still have to come back to Japan but I’m on contract and that I’ll be back here soon. I wanted to know if we could try it, Yong. If I still have a chance with you” she continued.

I looked up and held her gaze as I released a sigh. “I’m sorry, Byul, but I can’t”

Her face fell immediately from hurt and it also hurts me to see her like this. Byul and I genuinely liked each other. I still do like her but not the same as before. We weren’t even in love back then but I think we were both slowly moving towards there. When we were in college, it felt like we were meant to be together. It felt so sure, but circumstances stopped us from being together.

Even though we were both very reluctant, I told her to pursue working in Japan. I supported her. I don’t want to hold her when we both know it’s her dream to do it. I guess we were really supposed to be for each other but our timeline has ended. And there’s nothing we could do about it.

She gave me a small smile and nodded at me. She couldn't mask the disappointment in her eyes though. It was there for a few seconds before it went away when she blinked at me. “That’s okay. I understand, Yong. I just wanted to try”

I smiled back at her and said, “Thank you, Byul. Thank you for understanding”

“You’re already in a relationship?”

“No. Not yet” I said, smiling as I thought of Wheein.

“I could tell that you like this person. You looked so happy” she said, smiling genuinely at me now.

“I am. I love her.” I didn't know why this is so easy to admit to someone else but difficult for me to tell it directly to the person herself.

“Can I at least give you a hug?” she shyly asked.

I laughed and moved to hug her. “Of course, Byul. You don’t have to ask me about it”

She chuckled and squeezed me in her arms. “I’m really happy for you, Yong. I really am”

“Thank you, Byul” I whispered back just as the door to Wheein’s office opened.

Byul’s mother and sister came out followed by Wheein who stopped momentarily when she saw us. I sneak a wink at Wheein while she slightly pouted at me, making me silently laugh at her. Then Byul and I pulled away from the hug before she introduced me to everyone.

“Mom, you remember Yong right?” Byul asked.

“I do. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, Kim Yongsun” Mrs. Moon said, reaching to shake my hand.

I took her hand right away and shook it. “It is. How have you been Mrs. Moon?”

“I’m good, dear” Mrs. Moon smiled at me while I smiled back.

“That’s my younger sister, Yong. The one I talked to you about earlier” Byul added pointing to her sister who waved at me behind her mother.

I smiled and waved back at her.

Byul then moved beside Wheein, smiling so wide at Wheein who was just silently observing everything the whole time. “And this is Dr. Jung, my sister’s doctor”

I chuckled and smiled so wide as I moved to stand in front of Wheein. I teasingly reached a hand for her to shake and said, “I heard you’re the best neurosurgeon here, Dr. Jung”

She rolled her eyes at me but was unable to stop herself from smiling as she said, “I am not”

“Why aren’t you shaking my hand?” I asked, pouting at her.

She shook her head, laughing softly at me as she reached and held my hand, indulging my request for a handshake.

I smiled and moved closer to cup her cheek. Then I leaned forward and kissed her dimpled cheek. “It’s so good to see you” I whispered as I pulled back from her.

She held my waist and kissed my cheek as well. “You too. You’re early”

I smiled at her while I placed an arm across her back and turned her to face a surprised Byul. “Whee, this is Byul. She’s a friend of mine. We went to the same university when we were still in college. Her younger sister’s apparently your patient” I said before I faced Byul, smiling so wide at her and trying not to laugh at her surprised face. “And this is Wheein. The one I was referring to earlier”

Surprised, Wheein looked at me with her eyebrows raised. “You knew each other?” she asked before she faced Byul once again. “Are we supposed to shake our hands again, Miss Moon?” she asked, chuckling softly.

“I guess so. And please, call me Byul” Byul said, laughing softly at Wheein as she reached a hand towards Wheein.

Wheein took her hand and shook it. “Call me Wheein”

Byul faced me after they shook hands and said, “You’re so ing lucky”

“Byul…” Mrs. Moon warned.

“Sorry” Byul whispered, earning a laugh from all of us except from her mother.

“I’ll see you again in a few days,” Wheein said, addressing the Moons while I stepped back so she could talk to her patient properly.

“Thank you, Dr. Jung,” Mrs. Moon said while holding her daughter's hand.

Byul went to hug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter