Chapter Three

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been more than a month since Byul and I had been going out. Our hugs of greeting had slowly escalated to something more. It started with a hug and an additional kiss on the cheek. Then from her kisses on the cheek, it reached my forehead then slowly went down to my lips. She would now greet me with a short hug and a peck on my lips. Other than the kisses, Byul would also hold my hand when she walked me to the bus stop, when we went out for lunch or dinner, when we watched movies, or when we did a simple stroll by the park. She basically held my hand whenever she could.

It surprised me at first, especially the kiss on the lips. But at some point, I got used to it. I kind of like it too. She’s sweet and funny. She treats me like how I imagined it would be when we would’ve been together in college.

Are we together now? No. But I think we’re getting really close there.

It has also been a month since Wheein got her injuries. The bruise on her left cheek has completely faded now. The cut on her lip has fully healed too. Her stab wound, however, is something I have no clue of. I offered to clean it or to help her with her bandages, and asked to at least give me a peek to know how it was healing. She refused everything and just said that she could handle it.

Surprisingly, our breakfast routine has returned. Maybe because she had no scheduled surgeries yet or because I’ve always woken up first because her meds made her feel drowsy. Or maybe, just like Wheein said, nothing was wrong in the first place. That she was just simply busy.

“Your cheek and lip have fully healed now,” I said before chewing the eggs that I cooked this morning.

Wheein was sitting beside me on the kitchen island, sipping apple juice from her mug. “Hmm… Yeah” she said before she placed her mug down and grabbing her fork to eat her eggs.

“How about your wound on the side?” I placed my fork down and faced her, my eyes going down to her side where I think her stab wound is.

She was still chewing when I asked her the question so I waited until she was done with it.

“They removed the stitches a week ago. The wound has been fully healed now. Don’t worry, doc” she playfully said, smiling cheekily at me. “Headaches?”

Chuckling, I shook my head and said, “Nope, doc”

“Dizziness?” she asked again, doing her usual checkup early in the morning.

“None, doc” I said, teasing her this time.

She rolled her eyes then went back to eating her breakfast as she whispered, “Now, you’re just mocking me”

“I am not. I’m clearly being a good patient here, doc”

She shook her head and grabbed her mug to hide the smile on her face. Satisfied, I went back to eating my breakfast. From my peripheral view, I could see Wheein’s sleeves of her black with white tiny polka dots long-sleeve button down shirt almost touching her plate. I glanced at it and flinched when she almost stained it.

“You should probably roll your sleeves. You’re staining your shirt” I suggested and saw her slightly flinch as she briefly froze on her seat.

“That’s okay. I’m almost done eating” she responded, quickly eating the last slice of egg on her plate.

“Come to think of it, I’ve only seen you in long-sleeve shirts.” My head tilted to the side while my eyebrows scrunched up from curiosity as I continued to stare at her.

She emptied her mug of apple juice before she stood up. She grabbed her now empty plate and fork and placed them on the sink. “That’s because all of my work clothes are long-sleeve shirts. If I’m wearing a dress, I’d be wearing a blazer to cover my arms from the coldness of my office”

She walked back to the island then grabbed her new phone and purse. "Will it be okay if you'll wash the dishes alone? I have a scheduled surgery later. I wanted to be there early" 

"I can just drive you there if you're in a hurry" I offered before I emptied my mug of coffee. 

"No, it's okay. I really don't want to bother you. Dishes? Is it okay to you?" she asked again, pointing a finger to the sink.

"Fine. But I'll pick you up later." I stood up and lifted my plate, fork, and mug before I turned around to face the sink. 

She vigorously shook her head and said, "No. I'm okay, Yong. I'll take a nap before I'll go home. I'll rest after the surgery. I promise. You really don't have to pick me up"

My eyebrows dipped down while I placed my utensils back on the kitchen island. Then I walked closer to her, slightly disheartened when she's so determined to turn down my offer. "Why don't you want me to pick you up?"

"You're also busy with your work. I just really don't want to bother you, Yong"

"You have a driver's license and you can very much afford a car. Far more luxurious than mine. It would have been more convenient and safer for you. But you still insist on riding the bus. Why?"

I must've been too interrogative because she averted my gaze for a moment then visibly gulped before she looked at me again. "It helps me think. The bus" she responded, nodding her head but unable to hold my gaze longer.

She suddenly moved forward and hugged me, dropping the subject right away as she wrapped her arms around my waist and whispered, "I'll go now. Thank you for the dishes." When I didn't hug her back, she whispered like a small kid, "Why aren't you returning the hug?"

I sighed and slowly wrapped my arms around her shoulders before I whispered, “I’m picking you up. Your wounds just healed. I’m not letting that happen to you again”

She groaned from frustration as she pulled away from the hug. “You really don’t have to, Yong. Just please, no” she whined, shaking her head again.

“I’m picking you up. Now, go. You said you wanted to be early at work.” I turned my back to her and walked towards the sink, not letting her change my mind about picking her up.

I heard her sigh from behind me before she whispered, “I’ll go now.” I heard her light footsteps fading as she headed to the front doow before I heard the door opening and closing.

 

I made sure to leave the office early so that I’ll arrive at the hospital as soon as I can. Byul was supposed to walk me to the bus stop but I texted her earlier saying that I’ll be driving today and that I’ll pick up Wheein after her surgery.

Inside the car, I placed my purse on the backseat before putting on my seatbelt. I exited the university parking area and headed towards the hospital. I immediately called Wheein when I reached the hospital while I moved out of the car. Then I placed my phone to my ear while walking towards the hospital entrance, listening to the ringing on her end and hoping that she still hadn't left the hospital.

“Yong?” she said over the line, her voice heavily carried obvious exhaustion.

“Are you done with your surgery?” I asked her. I moved to the side enough that I wouldn't be blocking the entrance while still having a view of the inside of the hospital.

“I just finished now. Why?”

“Perfect. I’m waiting right outside the hospital. I’m picking you up, remember?” I said, tilting my body to the side to peek inside the hospital and expecting Wheein to show up any second now.

“You really don’t have to… ”

“I’m already here. Now, come out so we can go home right away”

"Okay" she answered defeatedly.

I smiled as we said goodbye before hanging up.

I paced outside the hospital entrance, swinging my arms, and occasionally glancing at the hospital doors while I waited for Wheein. I continued to wait as I realized that this is the first time I'm picking her up. I never knew why I haven't done this before too.

Maybe because I hadn't offered? Why didn't I even offer?

I stopped pacing as I tried to figure out why I haven't done this at all. Wheein would always go out first, never giving me a chance to offer, except for this morning. That's one. The hospital is also out of my way to the university. There's also the assumption of her driving her car because I saw her driver's license one time. But she doesn't. So I thought that she never drove a car because she found it tiring, and that riding taxis would be convenient for her. But then again, she doesn't ride taxis at all. She rides the bus all the time.

I closed my eyes and groaned as I thought of these assumptions and felt frustrated of how I just never analyzed this before and letting it be mere passing thoughts in my head.

I should’ve done this before along time ago already.

I jumped and opened my eyes when I felt warm hands cupping my cheeks, startling me. Then I slowly relaxed when I saw Wheein's worried face right in front of me. I closed my eyes again and slowly released the breath I unconsciously held while I sought comfort from the warm and comforting hands on my cheeks.

“Headache?” she whispered while I just shook my head at her, leaning on her palms. “Dizziness?”

I shook my head again.

“Then, what’s wrong? I heard you groan earlier” she asked, her eyebrows dipping low as I met her worried and tired eyes.

“Nothing” I said, shaking my head once again. “Let’s go. You’re probably tired already”

I held one of her hands that was on my cheek and walked us to my car. I could hear Wheein groaning and complaining behind me but I know she'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter