Epilogue

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I moved a leg over to straddle Wheein on the bed. I rolled her sleeves up and leaned down to kiss all her stars over there. I heard Wheein sigh below me as I slowly made my way up on her shoulders. After kissing the last star on her arm, I sat up and ed her pajama top. I moved in between her legs before leaning down to give her stars on her left abdomen their kisses. After giving a lingering kiss on her stab wound, I climbed, leaned my elbows on either side of her, and hovered above her.

“Good morning, Mrs. Jung” I whispered above her before I leaned down to kiss her lips.

“Good morning too, Mrs. Jung” she whispered below me before pulling me down for another kiss.

Wheein and I got married in the same year that I got my memories back. In the same year that we got settled back in our penthouse. And just as I asked her when we got engaged, I carried her last name with me so that all three of us will all be Jung. It has been a year since we got married, and Nabi has grown a lot too and is now four years old.

I was still on top of Wheein when we heard Nabi’s excited voice from outside our bedroom.

“Mommy! Mama!” Nabi shouted over our closed door.

I looked down at Wheein and asked her, “Does she know how to open doors now?”

She rolled her eyes at me and scoffed. “Of course”

“Did you lock the door?” I asked her again.

“I think so…” she responded, sounding so uncertain as her eyes slowly went wide.

We heard a loud knock on our door that got us both startled. I scrambled and moved to the side while Wheein hurriedly ran to the bathroom, her pajama top floating behind her as she ran out of panic. I laid on the bed again just as Nabi opened our bedroom door and Wheein closed the bathroom door.

“Mommy!” Nabi shouted with a huge smile on her face as she ran to our bed.

I smiled at her as I slowly sat up on the bed. “Why are you excited today?” I asked her curiously.

She jumped to our bed and moved to sit on my lap just as Wheein walked back to bed from the bathroom. I chuckled at her when I saw her pajama top is now safely buttoned back while she just sighed heavily and shook her head at me.

“It’s my first day of school today!” Nabi said excitedly as Wheein climbed back to bed and sat beside me.

“It’s your first day to school already?” Wheein asked beside me, her eyebrows dipping low as she stared at Nabi before she glanced at me. “Is it already?” she asked me.

I rolled my eyes at her, but still smiled at her because I know she was just teasing, while Nabi grabbed her cheeks and pinched them. She pouted at Nabi as she asked, “It’s really your first day of school, baby? Why did no one tell me?”, her voice muffled a little bit from Nabi’s pinching.

“Mama, you’re not paying attention. I told you yesterday” Nabi said exasperatedly.

Wheein grabbed Nabi’s hands away from her cheeks and reached both of her hands to tickle Nabi, making her squirm on the bed. “Of course, I know it,” Wheein said over Nabi’s loud laughter.

I smiled as I watched Nabi pry Wheein’s hands off her. “Mama! Stop it!” she shouted in between her laughs while Wheein continued to tickle her.

“Why would I forget my baby’s first day of school?” Wheein asked Nabi as she held Nabi’s shoulder, pulled her closer to her, and tickled her more.

“MOMMY! HELP!” Nabi shouted loudly, recruiting me on her side now.

I laughed at both of them fighting each other beside me, letting this go on longer because Nabi’s laughter is like her Mama’s. They both have infectious laughs.

When I felt so satisfied already, I reached out and touched Wheein’s shoulder as I said to her, “Okay, that’s enough. Let our daughter breathe”

Wheein stopped tickling Nabi and pulled her to sit in between us while Nabi was still catching her breath from all her Mama’s tickling. Wheein and I leaned down and kissed either side of her cheeks at the same time.

“Good morning, Nabi” Wheein said to her as she put an arm around her shoulders.

“Good morning, baby” I said to her as I lace an arm around her waist.

“Morning…” she said in between heavy breaths. “No tickling… Next time… Please”

We both laughed at her. Wheein leaned down and kissed the top of her head and whispered to her, “Okay, no more tickling”

Nabi whipped her head at her and said, “Promise?”

“I promise,” Wheein said sincerely. “No more tickling. For today. But I didn’t promise anything for tomorrow or the days after” she added, winking at Nabi.

Nabi groaned and pouted at her before she looked at me and pleaded, “Mommy…”

I brushed her hair and said to her, “That’s between you and Mama. I’m out of the equation when it comes to tickles.” I cupped her cheek and asked, “Are you ready for your first day of school?”

She smiled so wide and nodded her head excitedly, “I am!”

“Are you excited?” I asked her, smiling back at her.

“Yes!”

I leaned down to kiss her forehead and said to her, “Now, go with Mama to take a bath. I’ll cook us breakfast”

I climbed out of the bed while Wheein carried Nabi in her arms, showering kisses on her tummy that would still make her giggle until now. I went out of the bedroom, the two of them following behind me, to prepare breakfast for my family.

 

“Good morning Jungs!” Hyejin shouted once she got inside the penthouse.

I was drinking coffee while packing Nabi’s lunch box, filling it with biscuits, apple juice and gimbap. I looked up at Hyejin and said to her, “You’re early”

“Of course! I don’t want to miss baby Jung’s first day of school” Hyejin said as she walked behind me to grab some coffee for herself.

The door to Nabi’s room opened and Wheein walked out of it, followed by Nabi who was carrying her baby blue with white stripes backpack with her. Hyejin placed her mug of coffee on the kitchen counter before she kissed my cheek. She then walked to Wheein and kissed her cheek as well.

“Auntie Hyejin!” Nabi smiled at her when she saw Hyejin.

Hyejin walked to Nabi and lifted her. “You’re getting heavier now, baby Jung,” Hyejin said to her while Nabi pouted at her.

“That’s because of my backpack” Nabi whined at her.

Hyejin kissed her cheek and said to her, “Okay… If you say so”

Wheein went back to our bedroom to grab our bags and my keys after I finished packing Nabi’s food. I emptied my mug of coffee and placed it on the sink before I went back to the counter. Hyejin sat Nabi on the counter in front of her while she drank her coffee.

I sat beside Hyejin and asked Nabi, “Do you have everything you need in your bag already?”

“Yup! Don’t worry, Mommy” she said, smiling at me.

I saw Wheein carrying our bags from our bedroom and asked her, “You ready?”

“Yup!” she said as she passed me my keys and bag.

“Okay. Hyej, you done with your coffee?” I asked Hyejin as I grabbed Nabi’s bag before placing her lunch box inside it.

Hyejin emptied her mug and stood up to place her mug by the sink. She went back and carried Nabi as she said, “Okay, Jungs. Let’s go!” She looked at Nabi and said to her, “Baby Jung, you're riding with me okay?”

“Okay” Nabi said, nodding her head at Hyejin.

Wheein grabbed Nabi’s bag from me before grabbing my hand. We walked out of our penthouse then to the basement parking hand in hand. Hyejin was walking ahead of us, Nabi in her arms, while talking random stuff to Nabi.

“She will be fine, right?” Wheein asked beside me as she climbed inside the passenger seat.

“Are you okay there?” I asked her, referring to her anxiety when riding cars.

It has been more than a year since she has overcome her fear of riding cars. What we had not worked out yet is her driving again. We never talked about it and she never brought it up too. I have no complaints though. I have no problem driving us around for as long as she’s comfortable. And I am not forcing her to drive again. It has also been a long time since she was visited by her nightmares. She has made huge progress already with her guilt and fear, and I’m very proud and happy for her.

She fastened her seat belt and nodded her head at me. That initial nervousness that she experienced once she got inside the car has been gone too. And that’s really a huge progress already. I leaned in and kissed her cheek before I closed the door.

“Nabi will be fine, right? Yong?” she asked me once again after I got inside the car and fastened my seat belt.

I glanced at her and smiled before I started the car. “Why? Are you nervous for her?” I asked her.

“Aren’t you?” she asked me back.

“I am” I said to her as I pulled us out of the penthouse building.

“You seemed so calm though”

“I have to because if I look so nervous and act nervous, then both of us will freak out on our daughter’s first day of school” I said to her, not removing my eyes from the road ahead of us.

I heard her sigh heavily beside me before she whispered, “I just hope nothing bad will happen to her”

When I reached a red light, I removed a hand from the steering wheel and reached to grab her hand. I squeezed her hand and said to her, “Don’t worry. We’ve got our daughter’s back, right?”

“Yeah” she breathed, still feeling nervous for our daughter. “We got her back”

“Hyejin is there too. Dr. Song and your M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter