Chapter Two

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul and I first met when I was the president of the umbrella organization of the College of Engineering while she was the vice president. We were under different departments but we got closer because of the organization. There were also a lot of activities that we handled way back when, which led to spending more time with each other and getting to know more of each other.

Were we in love? Definitely not. But we're both attracted to each other. 

Ever since we saw each other that night at the bus stop, Byul would always pick me up from the university to walk me to the bus stop. She would also sometimes ask me out for lunch. Since the university and her workplace are just on the same street, it was convenient for us to meet anytime when we’re both vacant.

Spending time with her gave me a nostalgic feeling. It brought back the memories of how tired we were before and after an organization event, how fulfilling it was after, how busy we always were, how she would always walk me to the bus stop when it was already late, and how we celebrated after a successful event.

Being able to talk about these when we were in college brought out the youth once in me. It was refreshing. Looking back, it seemed like the end of the world because of how stressful college was. We were indeed young then. Real world is far more stressful than chasing deadlines after deadlines in the university.

What I noticed though is how Wheein became distant from me since we met Byul at the bus stop. She said she was busy because of an upcoming surgery and she wanted to focus on that. I don't get it though. She used to have a series of surgeries before but she never distanced herself from me.

Our breakfast routine was even revised. We used to talk over breakfast, used to wash the dishes together, and she used to hug me before she went out for work.

In these two weeks, she would just knock on my door, shouted over it that she would head out first, and left without giving me her usual hugs. I would just find a plate of whatever breakfast she prepared and a fresh mug of coffee when I went out of my bedroom.

I tried to wake up earlier than her, but my body wouldn't just cooperate because of the series of meetings and journal submissions I had. 

I missed her hugs. Her consistent hugs.

I wanted to ask if something is wrong but I don't want to pry as well. Wheein has always been secretive. I can't even go inside her room. But I don't want to cross the line as well. I know how much she valued her privacy.

So even though I felt like something was very wrong, I decided to brush it off and trusted her when she said that there's nothing wrong.

 

Two weeks after we met at the bus stop, Byul invited me out for dinner. I clocked out earlier than I used to because she'll be picking me up right after she finished with her shift. I fixed my hair and makeup before leaving my office and walking out of the university. 

Byul was by the gate, sliding her hands on the long-sleeve button down striped shirt and fixing her long blond hair, while she waited for me. She clasped her hands behind her and looked down at her feet as she softly kicked the ground. 

She never changed. Her mannerisms are still the same. 

I smiled while I walked towards her and called out her name when I was a few feet away from her.

She raised her head and smiled right away when she saw me coming towards her. When I was already in front of her, I moved closer to give her a hug as she hugged me back.

Her hugs aren't as tight as Wheein's. She would lightly wrap her arms around me, gently pat my back a couple of times, and then break the hug right away.

"Let's go" she said as she smiled so wide, showing off her dimples at me.

"Let's go" I said, nodding my head at me.

Byul brought me to a restaurant near the university. It looked so grand and expensive that it made me feel a little bit uncomfortable. I've been to hotels and restaurants that were way more expensive than this but I could never get used to it. I prefer a simple and quiet place but Byul was putting an effort on this dinner and I don't want to ruin that. So I smiled and followed her.

A waiter guided us to an empty table. Byul pulled a chair for me to sit before she went to sit across from me. We chatted and laughed as we reminisced on our memories together in college while we waited for our food. 

Byul talked about her experience working in Japan over dinner. I just nodded and listened at her, digesting every information she said to me. Dinner was okay despite my initial uncomfortable feeling earlier. The food was great too. It was delicious and did match the expensive aura I feel from the restaurant. I offered to split the bill, conscious of the expensive feeling the restaurant is giving me, but Byul insisted to pay. I simply conceded and nodded at her.

When we got out, she offered to walk me home since it was getting late already. I guess we got so lost in talking that we did not notice how the time passed by so fast.

 

"Do you want to grab some coffee?" I offered to her when we reached my penthouse building. 

Byul raised her eyebrows at me, surprised by this. 

"Just some coffee, Byul. No other implications" I said, chuckling at her surprised face.

She stared at me with her eyes wide open as she blinked innocently. "I don't know what you mean"

I laughed at her failed attempt for an innocent face and motioned for her to follow me. "Come on" I said, walking towards the elevator with a chuckling Byul following behind me.

When we got inside the house, I directed her to sit on the couch in the living room but she insisted on accompanying me in the kitchen. She sat by the kitchen counter, gently tapping her fingers on the kitchen island while I busied myself with our coffee. 

"Your place is spacious. It looks so great too" I heard her say from behind me.

I quickly glanced at her and saw that her head was turning around, scanning the interior of our house. I went back to the coffee in front of me, finishing the prepartions. Then I turned around and leaned back on the sink when all I have to do is wait for the coffee to brew. "Yeah, thanks" I said, scanning my eyes all over our place as well.

"Is Wheein home yet?"

I shook my head and said, "I don't think so"

Just then, we heard muffled voices by the front door. We both looked towards its direction, curious about whom those voices were from. I stood straighter from leaning on the sink when I recognized Wheein's voice while my eyebrows furrowed when it seemed like she has someone accompanying her.

When the door opened, a grumbling Hyejin went in followed by a slumping Wheein who seemed to be holding an ice bag on her face.

What happened? 

"I'm sorry, okay?" Wheein said, her voice muffled by the ice bag as she groans lightly.

"Sorry?! Wheein, what if something worse happened?!" Hyejin exclaimed, sitting on the wooden floor as she removed her shoes then went to remove Wheein's shoes afterwards. 

"Well, nothing happened" Wheein weakly responded.

The two of them hadn't noticed us by the kitchen yet so they continued to argue. Hyejin was fuming mad while Wheein looked tired and defeated.

My eyebrows were meeting in the middle from confusion of what was happening while my heart started to pick up its pace from worry and nervousness. Wheein seems to be injured but I couldn't make myself to move towards them, confusion locking me on where I was standing despite my worry for Wheein. Byul was just silently observing them too.

Hyejin stood up to face Wheein. She was standing on the wooden flooring so her height towered Wheein's and covered her from our view.

"Nothing?! What do you call that bruise on your face? That cut on your lip? And what about that stabbed wound on your side?! Was that…" 

"Stabbed!" I shouted, unable to stop myself from raising my voice. 

I saw them whipped their heads towards me the moment they heard my voice. I immediately walked towards them, glaring at Hyejin to move aside when she went to stand completely in front of Wheein. I continued to glare at her, motioning for her to move until she did before I stood in front of Wheein.

Her hair was covering her face so I leaned forward and slid my fingers through her hair, moving it away. My hands remained on the side of her head as my eyes frantically scanned her face.

"Bring that down" I whispered when the ice bag was still covering her face.

"Yong…" she whispered, still stubbornly covering her face from me.

I moved a step down to the doorstep to be eye level with her. I tucked her hair behind her ears and held a hand on her shoulder. I grabbed her hand that was holding the ice bag and moved it away from her face. 

I in a breath when I saw a huge purple bruise that covered almost all of her left cheek. Her bottom lip was also cut open and has still a little bit of blood on it. I looked at her but sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter