Chapter Four

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul and I have been together for almost a month now. We’ve been spending most of our time together. On weekends, when Wheein goes to her hometown, I would be having Byul over to our penthouse. Sometimes I spend the night at her apartment too. When we go to work I would pick her up from her apartment, then I’ll transfer to the passenger seat so that she can drive us to work. We’ll have breakfast together, then she’ll drive me to the university before walking to her company building. Having her around is a pure bliss.

There were times of misunderstandings but not a single serious argument has clashed the two of us. Not until three days before my birthday.

Byul wanted me to move in. I don’t want to move in. When I told her that it seems so fast and that nothing is wrong with our current arrangement, she said that it’s wrong for me to live with Wheein when I am in a relationship with her. I told her it didn’t bother her before but she retorted that I should stay with her.

I don’t get it though. Wheein and I were never beyond friends. She knows that. Wheein and I stayed under a single roof but we didn't sleep on the same bed. She knows that. I don’t kiss Wheein. I have never kissed her. And she knows that. So when she said that she was jealous of Wheein. I don’t really get it.

I’ve always been transparent with her. I haven’t even seen Wheein ever since I told her that Byul and I are officially together. So I don’t get the reason why she was so adamant with me moving in with her. We were already shouting at each other, and that was a first. I decided to let her cool off and went back to the penthouse.

It’s been days now since we haven’t seen or talked to each other. And I felt bad because I wanted her to trust me but I’ve been giving her reasons not to. I wanted to reassure her that we are on the same boat in this relationship, but I’ve been giving her reasons to doubt me. After days of contemplation, I decided that I should just probably move in with her. If it would fix everything between us, then I would gladly do it.

On the day of my birthday, I decided to surprise her first thing in the morning. I woke up early in the morning and got dressed, ready to fix the crack that opened in our relationship. Ready to move in with her.

By the time I got out of my bedroom, I saw Wheein coming in from the front door, bringing two bags of groceries, which is weird since I was expecting her to prepare for work. I just brushed it off though. She might’ve plans of her own.

I might as well tell her about my plans of moving in with Byul.

I walked towards her and she smiled right away when she saw me walking to her. I smiled back at her as I said, “Wheein, I just wanted to ask your permission on something”

She raised both of her eyebrows and asked, “What is it?”

“I’ll be moving in with Byul. Probably tomorrow or today. She already asked me days ago. I just made my decision last night”

Her smile fell and her eyes bounced back between either one of mine. She walked around me and went straight to the kitchen with her bag of groceries. “You don’t need my permission on that”

I turned around and saw her drop the bags of groceries on the kitchen island. She turned to look and smile at me before she headed to her bedroom. “You’re already old enough to do whatever you want, Yong”

“I know, but I still wanted to ask you…” I said but she cut me off when she reached her bedroom door.

“You don’t have to,” she said, not looking at me while she turned the door knob and pushed the door open. “I’m already tired, Yong. Goodbye.” She went in her room before closing her door.

I stayed standing in the living room, feeling all kinds of wrong.

Why does moving out of the penthouse feel so wrong? Why does leaving Wheein here feel so very wrong? And why does not moving in with Byul also feel wrong?

I stayed standing, conflicted of all kinds of uncertainty in my head as my heart seems to compress from an emotional pain I do not understand. It felt like my decision to move in with Byul was wrong. It felt like I would definitely regret it. Despite having a happy relationship with Byul, it seems like something was so, so wrong without having Wheein.

I remembered our breakfast routines. I remembered how she would always pick me up when I have meetings that'll end late at night. How she would always check up on me if I am feeling well or not. But ultimately felt how things seemed so wrong. And I don't understand it.

How could I be in a relationship with Byul if I stayed here with Wheein? How would I be able to have both of them when it felt too selfish?

With a heavy heart, I decided to push through with moving in with Byul and deal with Wheein later.

I drove to her apartment, pushing down my jumbled feelings, and planting a smile on my face, ready to surprise my girlfriend. When I reached her place, I punched in her code and went inside feeling excited, imagining her adorable surprised face in my head. We've been planning to spend my birthday together so I'm still hoping that we will be able to do that despite our fight days ago. 

I went straight to her bedroom and opened her door just for me to falter in my steps.

There's blond hair, obviously from Byul, and dark hair, definitely not from her, peeking under the covers. I gripped the door handle tighter when I saw clothes scattered on the floor of her room. Clothes I know that belonged to Byul and clothes that are foreign to me.

What. The. .

"Are you ing kidding me?" I whispered under my breath.

When the initial shock passed, I just let anger take control over me. I released the knob and door frame from my grip and moved towards the bed. I grabbed the sheets, and yanked it out of the bed, revealing two ing bodies. 

I pulled the necklace Byul gave me as I zeroed my gaze on her surprised face. I never glanced at the other girl's face. It doesn't matter.

How the hell would that matter? 

My ears were ringing from my anger that when Byul moved to say something, I couldn't hear a single thing from it. I'm also too mad to listen to whatever she excuse she could come up with.

When the chain broke, I threw it right at her face and said in a very calm voice that scared her, sitting frozen on her bed, "We're through. We're done. We're over. We're finished. If you lost your comprehension and did not understand a single thing that I said, then just off and don't ever show your face to me"

I turned around and walked out of her apartment with my still ringing ears. I went straight to my car and drove back to our penthouse, breathing heavily from the anger that I still felt.

Everything flashed in my eyes as I drove back to the penthouse. One moment I was exiting Byul's apartment building and then the next thing I knew, I was already walking out of the elevator as I reached our penthouse floor.

When I went inside the house, what happened a while ago was sinking fast in me like a ton of weight on my shoulders. I felt so tired right away that I couldn't even reach my bedroom and just dropped my body on the couch. I lifted my legs, hugging them, and buried my face on my knees.

I released the flood of tears that I held in the moment I stepped out of Byul's apartment. I felt so much compression in my chest that I have to heave huge amounts of air in order to breathe. I felt so hurt that it seems like my heart was passionately stabbed multiple times and I could never find a way to stop it. I cried so hard and wailed so loud that my throat had started to hurt. I felt so ing betrayed right now and all I could do is cry like a ing baby.

I immediately pulled away from my knees when I suddenly felt like I was lifted. I saw the blurry face of Wheein as she turned to sit on the couch while she sat me sideways on her lap. Once she got us settled, I instantly wrapped my arms around her shoulders and buried my face on her neck. I felt her arms tightly holding me around the waist, pulling me closer to her.

I cried harder in her arms, wetting her neck and hair as I repeatedly called out her name while she rubbed a hand on my back, trying to calm me down.

"Let it all out. I'm here, Yong. I'm just right here" she whispered soothingly into my ear.

I tightened my hold on her as I snuggled closer to her, feeling her familiar scent and warmth to calm myself down.

"I'm right here with you. I'm not going away, Yong. You can let it all out" she continued to whisper as my wails gradually turned into sobs.

I'm just right here.

I believed her when she said that. Because she always is. I may have things that I still don't know about her, but I know she's telling the truth when she said she's right here with me. Everything seems to be okay when I'm with her.

When I calmed down, she gently pulled my head away from her neck to wipe the tears on my face. Her eyebrows were dipped low, a small pout was on her lips, and her eyes were heavily laced with worry.

"What happened?" she whispered, hand cupping my cheek.

I closed my eyes and released a shaky breath. "She slept with someone else" I said, my voice cracking a little bit. 

"Who? Byul?" she asked, her voice rising a little bit, obviously mad at what happened.

With my eyes still closed, I gulped hard and nodded my head.

"" I heard her hissed under her breath before she slowly pulled me towards her again, hugging me tightly.

The hug this time was something she needed. I already calmed myself down earlier but Wheein was fuming mad and breathing hard right now. I rubbed my hand on her back as she buried her face on my chest. 

"You don't deserve that, Yong. That's just… That's… " she groaned, shaking her head vigorously. She tightened her hold around me, pushing me as close as we can be to each other.

Now, it was my turn to calm her down.

"I know, Whee. Just calm down now, okay?" I whispered to her ear but she continued to huff angry breaths out and shook her head.

"You don't deserve someone like that, Yong. You deserve far more better than that"

I wanted to ask her what I deserved. I wanted to ask her if I deserved someone like her. I wanted to ask if this would never happen, if I wouldn't be able to experience being cheated on if it was us together. I wanted to ask her to just be with me but I wasn't able to. I was about to but the ringing door bell and loud knocking interrupted me.

"Yong! Let me explain!"

We heard Byul shouting over the door.

Suddenly, I felt being lifted before I was instantly put down on the couch while I heard Wheein growling beside me. In a flash, Wheein was already opening the front door and pulling Byul by her shirt collar. She was so fast that I wasn't able to react right away. That I didn't notice her move from the couch to the door.

"I told you not to hurt her!" I heard Wheein scream at Byul as she punched Byul and knocked Byul off-balance.

She never gave Byul a chance to escape as she pinned her down on the floor by straddling her. She continued to punch Byul while Byul tried to shield her face as she raised her arms in between her and Wheein.

"You promised not to hurt her!" Wheein shouted as she continued to punch, slap, and hurt Byul.

I was shocked by the sudden turn of events that I couldn't move from my position on the couch. I could only watch the events unfolding in front of me.

"She could never love me! She felt distant when we're together!" Byul retorted, her voice muffled from Wheein's punches and from her arms that's blocking her face.

"She wanted to move in with you, you idiot!" Wheein growled. She pried Byul's arms and pinned them to the floor, which gave her access to punch Byul's face.

I watched as they continued to fight each other but when I saw Wheein's bleeding knuckles, it pulled me out of the shock and gave me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter