Chapter Eighteen

Endura: The Enduring Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wheein!” I shouted, calling out her name as I went out of her bedroom. “Whee!” I called out once again as I surveyed the empty living room and the connected kitchen and dining area. “Wheein! Where are you?!” I shouted as I felt myself slowly panicking when I went to my bedroom.

Empty.

I rushed back to her bedroom and looked once again, searching every nook and corner of the room, desperate to see Wheein or any evidence that she’ll be coming back. “Wheein?” I whispered, my voice breaking as another sob escaped from my mouth.

I went back to her bed and noticed a single piece of paper laid in the middle of it that I had overlooked earlier because it blended well on her sheets. I hurriedly ran to it and grabbed the paper, unfolding it in front of me while I’m still hugging Wheein’s box of letters.

I’m sorry

I flipped the paper, looking for anything else or any clue to tell me where she went or whether she’s coming back or not. I read the words repeatedly until I remembered how I shouted at her that I don’t want to see her anymore. I remembered what she told my parents earlier that she would stay away from me.

I slowly collapsed on her bed, crying and wailing for losing Wheein just because of my selfishness and stupidity. I placed the box beside me and grabbed her pillow, then buried my face on it, smelling her familiar scent as my tears were absorbed by her pillow case and wetting it.

“Wheein!” I cried, my voice muffled by the pillow. “I didn’t mean it! I’m sorry! Come back home now. Please… ” I whispered helplessly on her bed as I continued to cry like a mess. The bed that we shared for years. Years. And I could not remember a single one of it.

I closed my eyes, silently crying, feeling hopeless and lost of what I am supposed to do and where I am supposed to start searching for her.

“” I whispered under my breath as I hurriedly grabbed my phone from my pocket.

I should have done this a while ago.

“Stupid! Stupid!” I whispered as I scrolled through my contacts and looked for Wheein’s name. I tapped the call button and put it on my ear.

The moment my phone landed on my ear, I cursed once again as I went straight to voicemail. I tried calling her a couple of times but I always ended up with the same result. My calls all went straight to voicemail.

I sat up on the bed, bringing Wheein’s pillow with me, as I called a different person. I placed it on my ear and held my breath as I heard ringing from the other end. “Pick it up. Pick it up. Please” I whispered when the ringing seems to go on forever.

“Is there something wrong?” I perked up when the call connected and sat straighter on the bed.

“Yes” I said, sighing in relief. “Hyej, where’s Wheein? The house is empty. All her things are gone and it seems like she’s not coming back here at all. Tell me where she is. Please...” I pleaded, my voice turning to low whispers as I rambled to Hyejin.

“Yong, calm down…”

“I could not calm down, Hyej” I said, cutting her off. “I  wanted to see her. I needed to see her”

“Remember your head, Yong. Please. You’re not helping yourself if you keep panicking” she said over the line, her voice turning low with worry.

“! Okay” I breathed, trying to relax. Trying. “Tell me where she is please” I begged, my voice calmer than my desperate tone earlier.

“She took an indefinite leave. She went back to Jeonju” Hyejin said, her voice turning soft and cautious.

“Jeonju” I whispered, my mind turning gears and switches as I tried to think on what I’m going to do.

I released a heavy sigh before I grabbed Wheein’s box of letters while still hugging the pillow and slid down out of the bed. “Hyejin, thank you” I said to her as I walked out of Wheein’s bedroom to go to my bedroom.

“What are you doing?” Hyejin asked over the line as she heard me shuffling.

“I’m going to Jeonju”

“Right now?” she asked, her voice raising from disbelief.

“Yes,” I said as I placed Wheein’s pillow and box on my bed. “I’m hanging up now. Thank you…”

“Wait!” she shouted at the other end of the line. “Are you serious?” she asked.

“I am,” I said determinedly.

I heard shuffling and noises from her side before she said in a hurry, “Don’t leave the house or don’t do anything stupid that will hurt your head. I’m picking you up. Stay there”

“You don’t have to…”

“Stay there, Yong!” she said, getting mad at me. “I’ll see you. Bye” she said before she hung up the call.

I closed my eyes to sigh as I clenched my teeth tight. After calming myself down, I placed my phone and wallet on the bedside table before going inside my closet. I changed out of my clothes into cleaner ones before pulling out one of my suitcases and laid it open in the middle of the room. I dumped a bunch of underwear then grabbed a couple of pajamas, shirts, jeans and sweatpants. I cramped them all inside the suitcase, not caring if they’re going to be wrinkled or not, before zipping it closed.

I went out of the closet, rolling the suitcase beside me. Then I went to the bathroom to grab my toothbrush and some toiletries, and placed them all inside a small bag before going out of the bathroom. I went back to my room, placed the bag of toiletries on top of the suitcase before rolling it beside my bed.

I grabbed the wooden box and hid it in one of my drawers on my bedside table before grabbing my wallet and phone. I sent a quick text to my secretary that I might not be able to work in a while or just send work through email before dumping my phone and wallet inside a small purse.

I left our penthouse, my suitcase, bags and Wheein’s pillow with me, and went down to the building lobby. When I arrived at the lobby, I spotted Hyejin coming inside the building. She saw me right away as well and jogged closer to me. My eyes went wide when she grabbed my face and inspected my eyes.

“Headaches?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowed from worry.

I shook my head, unable to speak because I felt guilty for making her worry again.

“Have you been crying?” she asked, releasing her hold on my face.

I nodded my head and whispered, “Yes”

“Nothing happened?” she asked.

“Nothing happened” I confirmed. I didn’t bother mentioning that my head throbbed earlier. That will make her worry more and I don’t want that also.

She scanned her eyes on my face once again, doing a last assessment, before nodding her head at me. She grabbed my suitcase and carried it for me as she said, “Let’s go”, while walking out of the penthouse building.

I hugged Wheein’s pillow following behind her as I whispered on her back, “Hyejin… You don’t have to do this”

“Do you even remember where her house in Jeonju is?” she asked as we got out of the building and walked straight to her car.

I know, I wanted to say to reassure her but I honestly don’t remember. So instead, I said, “I’ll remember once I got there”

“Thank you for making me sure about my decision in driving you there,” Hyejin said teasingly, carrying my suitcase and placing it on the backseat.

I went to the passenger seat, opened the door, and climbed inside while I muttered, “Thank you”

I heard her chuckle before I closed the door. I fastened my seatbelt before I slumped on the seat, feeling the exhaustion catching up on me. I hugged Wheein’s pillow closer to me, seeking comfort as I tried to locate her scent from it.

“You okay?” I heard Hyejin asked before hearing the door closed.

“I think so” I whispered on the pillow, unconsciously releasing a heavy breath. “Thank you” I whispered once again to her.

“Don’t worry” she responded as I felt the car move from its stationary position earlier. “This will be a long drive, about two hours or less, so try to relax or sleep, Yong”

I nodded my head still with my eyes closed. I tried to sleep just like what Hyejin said but I can’t bring myself to relax not until I could see Wheein again. This must be how Wheein felt when she was waiting for me to wake up. Except for the intense guilt, the worry, and the hopelessness that she felt, which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter