Chapter 28

Borrowed From God (Ongoing)
“Get out!” Micky shouted as soon as he and Nan Hee were left alone. He was standing in front of the woman who he once loved with hatred in his eyes.

While Nan Hee looked at him with tears in her eyes. “Don’t you think you’re being too cruel?” she asked while trying to stop herself from crying uncontrollably.

Micky bitterly laughed. “Cruel? Shouldn’t I be the one to ask that? Don’t you think you’re hurting my wife because of what you’re doing? Please just have a conscience and leave. And take that… that baby with you.”

Nan Hee’s eyes grew out of anger. “That baby? That baby happens to be yours! Don’t you dare speak about our daughter like that,” she cried out.

Somehow Micky suddenly felt guilty after seeing the hurt and angry look on Nan Hee’s face. He wanted to take back what he said. But immediately decided it was better to be act tough than fall into her deception.

“Look, if you don’t want to be hurt anymore. Just get out and leave… I want you to leave my life permanently. Disappear… just like what you did before. You didn’t have any conscience when you left me years ago, so just do it once again. That way… we can all live peacefully,” Micky said as he combed his hand through his hair.

Nan Hee stared lovingly at Micky, and smiled with tears still visible in her eyes.

Micky noticed her and got more frustrated. “What are you smiling at? Am I starting to look funny, is that it?”

Nan Hee shook her head and smiled again, but this time with bitterness and sadness. “No, it’s just that… it’s been so long since the last time I saw you get frustrated that you brush your hand through your hand. It’s been your habit, whenever you get angry or frustrated… And I smiled, because I couldn’t believe that you’re still the same…” she tried to explain.

Micky stopped and started to think about what Nan Hee said. “So she still remembers… maybe she really does… still care about me,” he quickly thought to himself. Then he shook his head as if to wake himself up. “No, I am already married. I… I love Muko…. I can’t possibly think about Nan Hee now,” he tried to tell himself over and over again.

Nan Hee sobbed and let out her tears. “Fine, I’ll go. But before I go, can you please hear me out first? I want to clear up something… even if for the last time,” she begged.

Micky turned away and started to look at another direction. Somehow he couldn’t bear to see Nan Hee crying. There was still a part of him that actually cared about the woman sitting in front of him. And he was very scared that the more he looked at her, the more his feelings would start to come back.

“Clear out something? What? Don’t tell me you’re going to convince me to come back to you again? I won’t do that you know… I am already married and I don’t have any intention of hurting my wife because of you,” he said with a raised tone.

Nan Hee bit her lower lip and closed her eyes. She never expected everything to be this hard. Somehow she was expecting that once he came back into Micky’s life and he learned about their baby, everything would change.

She finally opened her eyes after a few seconds of silence. “Hear me out first… then I’ll go and I will never appear in front of you again,” she said with a pitiful tone.

“Fine… speak… Then afterwards, I want you to leave me alone… “ he said coldly.

Nan Hee lowered her head in total defeat. She knew she could no longer get him back. Now she knew that he her so much that it was difficult to change.

“That night… when we were supposed to have a special dinner…” she started to speak.

“Stop… I don’t want to hear anymore of your lies and excuses…. That night you suddenly disappeared and walked out of my life without any reason… was the night that you killed me. Do you know how long I waited for you? The restaurant already closed but I was still waiting for you outside… And when I tried calling you, you had somehow switched off your phone… that’s when I became so worried that I quickly rushed to your apartment…. Do you know I even woke up your neighbors just to ask where you were or if they had seen you… That was when they told me… that you had left…” he then stopped talking because his voice was starting to sound like he was about to cry. The pain he had locked up inside was starting to rush out and he was having difficulty in controlling his feelings.

Tears flowed down from Nan Hee’s eyes. She quickly stood up and knelt down in front of Micky. She then lowered her head and started to cry again. “I… I am sorry… I knew what I did was wrong. But believe me, I didn’t really want to leave you… It’s just that… that…”

“What? You left me! I didn’t know why you suddenly decided to pack and leave without any reason and without even a goodbye. Do you know how much you hurt me? Do you know how many days and nights I cried and kept on searching for you? Do you know all the crazy things I did just to forget you? Tell me, what did I do to deserve that kind of treatment? Did I do anything wrong? Did I hurt you in anyway? Did you find another man and suddenly felt the need to run off with him? Tell me! I want to know….” Micky shouted as tears finally escaped from his eyes as the feelings that he had been hiding had found its way out.

Nan Hee looked up at Micky and her heart was crushed as soon as she saw his tears. “I didn’t want to leave. But… during that time, I badly needed a large amount of money. My mother was sick and she needed an operation… And then, when the president of your company learned that you were planning to propose to me that night… he suddenly offered me a very large amount of money just to leave you… The money was enough for my mother’s operation and enough for me to start my life in another country… and so I… didn’t have any choice… Your president said that if you married at that time, it would mean the end of your career and also the career of your whole group. And I didn’t want that. He also said that I was just a hindrance to your success and if continued to stay in your life, there would come a time that you would eventually fall down. I loved you and I knew your career is your life and I didn’t want you to lose that. I don’t know… Maybe I was crazy or just confused at that time but somehow I was thinking that it was the best for the both of us. But please understand, I only wanted to save my mother and I also wanted to do what was right for you.” she explained in between sobs.

“Do you really think that I would believe what you’re saying?” Micky asked in a mocking manner. Somehow he was trying to deny everything that he had heard.

Nan Hee stared at him. “I knew there was a chance that you wouldn’t believe me… So I decided to prepare everything before I went here… I want to prove to you that I am not lying…” she said as she took two pieces of paper from her pocket. “Here… “she said as she placed the papers in Micky’s hands.

With trembling hands, Micky slowly opened and read the papers he was holding. One of the papers was an agreement signed by their president and Nan Hee. She was to be given a large amount of money, in exchange she was supposed to leave the country with her mother and was never to return again. And the other paper was a birth certificate… the birth certificate of his daughter.

“You were already pregnant… when you left?” Micky couldn’t help but ask.

Nan Hee sobbed again and then nodded. “I didn’t know I was pregnant at that time. I was already in the US when I realized I was carrying your child. I am sorry… If I had known that I was carrying our baby, maybe… I would have made a different decision. I know I was wrong… But believe me, I only did what was best at the time.”

Micky felt like his world was crumbling. Slowly he felt very weak… He never expected the truth to hurt so much. He slowly fell down on his knees and started to weep…

“Do you know how much I hated you for leaving me? Do you know how much I longed for you?” he said with a quivering voice.

Nan Hee slowly moved closer to him. “I am sorry Micky. I am so sorry… I was so desperate back then… and I didn’t know what else to do,” she uttered as she cupped Micky’s face with her hands.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I could have helped you? You didn’t have to leave,” Micky uttered slowly.

Nan Hee shook her head. “I couldn’t tell you. I couldn’t ask your help since I knew you were also taking care of a lot of problems in your family. You were also taking care of your family’s financial needs. I didn’t want to burden you with my own problem. So I ended up choosing the easiest solution… and I also ended up hurting you… And I am sorry for that.”

Micky wept and suddenly drew Nan Hee into his arms. “I am sorry too. I am sorry that I wasn’t able to help during the time that you needed me the most.”

Nan Hee returned Micky’s embrace. “I am the one to be blamed. You didn’t know. I was the one who made the mistake. So you don’t have to say sorry for anything. Let’s just start all over again… You, me and our baby.”

Micky continued to cry. He had been holding the pain for such a very long time now and it was finally time to release it.

As Micky and Nan Hee were wrapped in each other’s arms, a hurt soul was crying silently behind the door leading to the living room.

Max who had suddenly decided to follow Muko, quickly became curious as to what was going on. He carefully looked into the living room and was shocked to see his friend in Nan Hee’s arms. He was instantly gripped with pity for Muko. Without any second thoughts, he carefully took Muko into his arms and silently tried to console her.

Muko cried continuously in another man’s arms, the same way the man she loved was wrapped up in another woman’s embrace. She was just starting to learn how to love and now everything was starting to become so complicated. She never expected loving someone was going to be this hard. She always thought love was made up of sunny and happy memories…. Now she knew she was wrong.

“Don’t worry, everything will work out… Don’t cry… I am here,” Max said in a very comforting voice.

“Everything will work out? How? Maybe I did make a mistake in coming into his life… Maybe if I hadn’t appeared, maybe he can be finally be happy with the one he really love. Maybe I should just end the mistake as soon as possible, for everyone’s sake. I think this is God’s way of telling me I made a mistake and I should just return to where I truly belong,” Muko suddenly thought as her tears continued to flow.