Chapter 17

Borrowed From God (Ongoing)
“Hello, Micky,” the woman said again as she stood in front of him.

Muko just looked at Micky with curiosity in her eyes. Somehow she couldn’t understand the strange expression on his face. “Micky, are you all right?” she asked with concern. She then lightly touched his hand as if to draw his attention to her.

Micky immediately snapped out of his trance and stared at his wife. “I… I’m all right,” he treid to utter.

Muko looked at Micky for a few minutes, then her attention quickly focused on the girl standing in front of them.

“Hello. I am Mukades,” she greeted warmly with a bright smile.

The unknown girl smiled back at her. “Hi, I’m Nan Hee. I’m Micky’s…”

“She’s an old friend,” Micky quickly answered instead of the girl.

Muko gave her husband a confused look. She could easily see that he was feeling very nervous and uncomfortable. She wanted to ask again. But she just decided to stay quiet and act like she wasn’t noticing anything. She knew it wasn’t the right time to be inquisitive.

“Thank you for coming here Nan Hee. So how long have the two of you know each other?” Muko unexpectedly asked.

Nan Hee smiled as if with a hidden meaning. “How long? Oh quite long dear… longer than the time you have known him,” she answered.

Micky felt like he could easily melt on the very same spot that he was standing on. He could sense that Nan Hee had other plans aside from greeting him on his wedding day.

His mind was starting to think of a way to get Muko out of Nan Hee’s company. Then he suddenly thought of something.

“Muko, why don’t you go and greet the other guests. I’ll take care of Nan Hee,” he carefully said while controlling the quivering of his voice.

Muko knew there was something wrong. But she just nodded and faced Nan Hee with a smile.

“It’s nice meeting you, Nan Hee. I hope we can get the chance to talk to each other again later,” she said politely.

Nan Hee lightly laughed. “Oh, don’t worry. We will surely get the chance to talk to each other again. And do believe me when I say we will surely have lots of things … interesting things to talk about.”

Micky gave Nan Hee an angry look, but she just ignored him.

“I’ll go now. Bye,” Muko uttered to both Micky and Nan Hee as she slowly walked away.

As soon as Micky and Nan Hee were left alone… Micky quickly pulled the unexpected guest to a place where they could talk freely.

“What are you doing here?” he asked with a glitter of anger in his eyes.

Nan Hee smiled seductively. “I came here just for you. Aren’t you happy to see me?”

Micky gave Nan Hee a disgusted look. “No, I’m not. Are you sick or something? You just walked out on me two years ago without any valid reason. Now you suddenly appear and you expect me to welcome you with open arms. You’re crazy!” he said with anger.

Nan Hee was somehow taken by surprise by Micky’s reaction. She never expected that he would be so angry with her. And that he would treat her in such a cold way. Her reaction quickly changed. Her confidence was instantly replaced with doubt.

“Look … after I saw the news about your wedding, I immediately decided to come here. I… I wanted to clear out something before you finally decide to get married with that girl,” she tried to explain.

“Clear out something? What?” Micky asked with a bit of annoyance in his voice.

Nan Hee shook her head and smiled bitterly. “I think it doesn’t matter now. I’m already too late. I wish I could have gotten here sooner. I wish I could have gathered up all my courage to see you sooner… maybe then, you wouldn’t have gotten married with her…. but with me,” she said as sadness showed on her face.

Micky’s heart skipped a beat after seeing the pitiful look on Nan Hee’s face, and after hearing what she said.

“Why? Why did you come here?” he asked again. Somehow his heart was waiting for an answer that he had been waiting for so long.

Nan Hee looked straight into his eyes. How she missed looking into his eyes. There were nights that she would just wake up crying and calling out his name.

She still loved him. But there were things more important than love… Things she needed to take care of.

She quickly looked away. She couldn’t bear to see the sadness and longing in his eyes. She was already too late.

“I think I should be going. Congratulations, Micky. I hope you will be happy,” she uttered.

Micky felt pity for the woman standing before him. She had been a part of his life before and somehow she still had a part which he could never erase. Even though he was mad at her for leaving him, there was still a part of him that treasured the special memories that they shared.

“Wait…” he couldn’t help but utter.

Surprised, Nan Hee turned to face him. She immediately saw something familiar in his eyes. Hope quickly filled her heart.

She hurriedly took out a small piece of paper from her purse. “Here, take this. Please call me. I really want to talk to you in private. There are a lot of things I need to clear out between the two of us.”

Micky took the piece of paper and nodded. It was like he wasn’t himself. He didn’t approve of what he was doing, but he couldn’t stop himself.

Nan Hee smiled. “Goodbye for now, Micky. I know we will see each other again very soon.”

She then slowly turned and walked away. She couldn’t stop her heart from rejoicing. She saw love in his eyes. She knew he still loved her.

A smile appeared on her lips. She might be too late to stop the wedding, but it wasn’t too late to take Micky back.