Chapter 23

A Star For A Star
Xiah slowly walked to where the DBSK boys and the managers were all waiting.

"Hyung . . . . Iqa has just been moved to her room . . . ." Max said to Xiah.

"Where is Se7en?" Se7en's manager asked Xiah.

"He . . . . . He just wants to be alone for now," Xiah answered.

Somehow all the men understood what he meant.

"The doctors said that as soon as Moniqa is set in her room . . . . We can all see her then," the DBSK boys' manager told Xiah.

Xiah nodded. He tried to think if he was even strong enough to see Iqa in her condition now. He was very much afraid that the moment he saw her. He wouldn't be able to control himself and that he would suddenly break into tears.

"Hyung . . . . are you all right?" Max asked with concern. They all could see that he wasn't himself. He was obviously thinking about something else.

"Yes. . . ." Xiah replied.

After several minutes . . . . Moniqa's acting manager arrived. Moniqa was already in her room. And the doctors have already allowed them to see her.

"We can all go to her room now . . . ." Moniqa's manager announced.

All of them were very nervous as to what they would see. Se7en had already joined them as soon as he found out that Moniqa had been moved to her room.

"I don't think I want to see Moniqa . . . . in such a pitiful condition," Micky said to Jaejoong.

"Yes . . . . me too. I don't think I can take it if I see her in a hospital bed and still unconscious. It is too saddening . . . ." Jaejoong replied.

Xiah could hear everything that his friends were saying. And somehow everything that they had said had also been on his mind. He was also asking himself . . . if he can stand seeing Iqa lying in a hospital bed . . . . pale as a ghost . . . .unconscious . . . . dying . . . . Just thinking about it was already breaking his heart.

Xiah tried to close his eyes . . . .

"Please . . . . let this just be a dream . . . . a bad dream . . . . Let me wake up please," he begged in his mind.

"Xiah . . . ." U-Know suddenly tapped Xiah's shoulder. "Are you all right?" he asked.

Xiah looked at U-Know. "I . . . . I am afraid . . . . I will break down once I see her," he honestly answered.

U-Know suddenly smiled. He was happy that his friend had finally admitted his true feelings. "Just be strong . . . . You need to be strong . . . . for her sake . . . ." he said to Xiah.

Xiah tried to smile even if his heart was slowly aching. They quietly entered Moniqa's room with all of their hearts pounding heavily. They were all afraid of what they were about to see.

As soon as they entered her room . . . . all their fears suddenly became a reality. Xiah immediately cupped his face in total disbelief. He didn't want to accept what he was seeing was real. He wanted to just turn back and pretend that he didn't see Moniqa in such a pitiful situation.

All the men's hearts were instantly broken after they had finally seen Moniqa. She was lying in the hospital bed with different machines attached to her body. She had several bandages on her arms and some cuts on her beautiful face. She seemed so lifeless . . . . that Xiah's tears immediately fell the moment he saw her.

The other DBSK members saw Xiah's reaction and tried to comfort him. They knew that he was hurting because of Moniqa.

"Hyung . . . . Try to be strong . . . .," Max said with concern.

Xiah glanced at Moniqa's direction again. His heart was already heavy with pain and sadness. He couldn't accept that the girl he loves was going to die. . . . He couldn't accept he was going to totally lose her.

He tried to walk closer and closer to her . . . . one step at a time. He felt that his feet was somehow too heavy to move. And he was afraid . . . . he wasn't sure what he might do once he was already close to her.

"Xiah . . . . she's been waiting for you . . . .Don't waste the remaining time left" Se7en said with a sad voice.

Xiah looked at Se7en and then at Iqa. Se7en was right . . . . he had to take advantage of the time he had left with her . . . .

Xiah slowly moved forward . . . Then as he was finally in front of Moniqa, he gently took her hand and held it between his two hands.

"Iqa . . . . I'm here . . . . Please open your eyes . . . ." Xiah uttered with a trembling voice. He was sure that any moment his tears will come again.

The DBSK boys, Se7en and the three managers silently left the room. They knew that Xiah needed some time alone with Iqa. They wanted him to be able to spend the remaining time alone with her.

Xiah sat down beside Moniqa's bed as he was still holding her hand. He didn't want to let it go . . . . he was scared that the moment he let go . . . . she would slip away from him permanently. He wanted her to feel the warmth of his hand . . . . and the love he felt for her.

"Iqa . . . . I . . . .I'm sorry . . . . Can you forgive this foolish man in front of you today? I know I have been very foolish . . . . and I have hurt you badly . . . . I didn't even give you the chance to explain yourself to me . . . . I was very jealous with you and Se7en that I let my mind and heart get all confused . . . . and I admit I was totally unreasonable. I wasn't thinking straight. . . . . and I didn't even consider your feelings. I was totally selfish . . . . . There were a lot of times that I wanted to talk with you . . . . but I let my foolish pride get in the way. Please . . . . Please open your eyes . . . . don't worry I will do whatever it takes to help you . . . . I won't let you die . . . . I don't want you die . . . . You can't leave me . . . . Do you hear me? Don't leave me . . . . I don't think I can live without you . . . ." Xiah said as he held her hand. Then he gently kissed her hand.

"I'm sorry . . . . Please wake up . . . . Don't leave me . . . . I don't know what I would do without you . . . . I just realized how much you really mean to me . . . . If I can only turn back the time . . . . I would try to fix all the wrong things that I have done. . . . " Xiah said as tears started to fall down one by one. "Why didn't you tell me about your condition? Why didn't you tell me you were sick? Why? Now I am left with nothing to do but watch you as you slowly slip away from me . . . . Do you know how painful it is for me to see you this way? If I can only take all the pain and your sickness away and just take it all on my own . . . . I would do it . . . . that is how much I love you . . . . I am willing to do anything for you . . . .Iqa . . . . I love you . . . . I love you . . . ." Xiah said as he finally started to sob.

"Xiah . . . . ." Moniqa softly uttered.

Xiah suddenly looked at Moniqa. She was already awake, but obviously very weak. She tried to smile. But somehow her smile just brought pain to Xiah. He could feel that behind her smile was a pain that he couldn't even imagine.

"You're finally awake . . . . How are you? Do you feel any pain?" he worriedly asked.

"Why . . . . Why are you here?" she asked softly.

"I . . . . I . . . ." Xiah tried to find the right words to say.

Iqa smiled again . . . ."You don't have to answer . . . . "

Xiah suddenly held Iqa's hand tighter. "I . . . .I'm sorry . . . .Iqa. Can you ever forgive me?" he asked as he looked straight into her eyes.

"Xiah . . . ." she softly uttered. She was already feeling very weak. She already knew that she didn't have much time left. She could feel it . . . . and the reality was adding more pain to her heart.

"Iqa . . . . Can we go back to the way we were before?" Xiah suddenly asked while still holding her hand. "I still love you . . . . Please can you give me another chance? . . . . Please . . . ." Xiah begged.

Moniqa stared into Xiah's eyes. She could see the love and pain in his eyes. Right then she knew that he already knew that she was dying. Slowly the tears started to form in her eyes . . . .

"Why?. . . .Why are you crying?" Xiah asked with concern in his eyes.

Moniqa shook her head. "Don't you think it is already too late for us? Even if we fix everything now . . . . the fact still remains . . . . . I am dying . . . . I can see it in your eyes. You already know. . . . Is that the reason why you are here now? You learned that I was dying and you are pitying me?" she asked with tears falling from her eyes one by one.

"No . . . . I love you . . . . And I'm not here because I pity you . . . . Yes, I already know about your condition . . . . But it doesn't have any connection with my decision to come back to you . . . . I have been wanting to do it . . . . I was just lacking the courage and I was being too selfish . . . . Please. . . . believe me . . . ." Xiah said as he stared at Moniqa.

Moniqa smiled bitterly. "But it is already too late . . . . Xiah. Even if we continue with our relationship . . . . our love will just be going nowhere . . . . I have been on the waiting lists of a dozen hospitals all over Asia for years now. But until now . . . .I haven't even found one donor . . . . There are always problems . . . .complications. . . . So you see . . . until now . . . . I'm still dying. And frankly, I already have learned to accept it. . . ." She smiled again. She was trying to hide the pain that she was feeling.

"No . . . .Iqa . . . . Please don't say that . . . ." he said as tears were flowing his eyes.

Moniqa brushed the tears from Xiah's eyes with her hand. "Crying doesn't suit you. You're way too cute for crying . . . ." she said as she tried to laugh. She wanted to stop Xiah from crying. It was making her feel so much pain seeing him cry.

"It's useless . . . .Xiah . . . ." she finally uttered.

"No . . . . it's not the end yet. . . . . We can still find a way . . . .Please don't lose hope . . . . " Xiah said with a trembling voice.

"Xiah . . . ." she said as she was trying to keep herself from crying uncontrollably.

Moniqa closed her eyes. "God. . . . Please give me more time to say goodbye to him . . . . ." she said in her mind. Slowly her tears fell down again.

Unexpectedly. . . . Xiah kissed Moniqa's forehead. She surprisedly opened her eyes. And she was finally looking straight into his eyes . . . . up close . . . . It had been such a long time . . . . since she had been this close to him. She could feel her heart was beating wildly. How she wanted to be with him again. . . . . How she wanted to love him again . . . . How she wanted to be able to grow old with him . . . . But she knew it was all a dream . . . . A dream that could never come true . . . .

"Xiah . . . . I . . . . I'm dying . . . . It's too unfair for you . . . . if we just continue with out relationship . . . . when we already both know where it is going to end . . . ." she said with a sad tone.

Xiah shook his head and smiled. "I don't care if you're dying . . . . What I care about is that I love you . . . . I don't care if we only have a day . . . . a few hours . . . . or even several minutes to spend with each other . . . . I want to be with you . . . . even if it is only for a short time . . . . I want you to spend your remaining time with me . . . . I promise you I will make you happy."

Moniqa's tears were continuously falling. "You don't have to promise me anything . . . . . You are already making me happy . . . . just by being here . . . . by my side.I love you Xiah."

Suddenly Xiah softly kissed Iqa's lips. He was very gentle . . . . He wanted to remember this moment as long as he lived . . . . He wanted to store this special memory in his heart and his mind forever.

Moniqa allowed Xiah to kiss her. She wanted to give him a special remembrance of their time together. She lovingly kissed him back. She brushed aside all her inhibitions. . . and just acted according to what her heart was dictating.

As they were kissing each other. . . . Moniqa suddenly felt a very sharp pain in her heart. The pain was too much that she immediately cried out in pain. Xiah was immediately alarmed.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I . . . . It hurts . . . . Xiah . . . . ." Iqa cried in pain.

Xiah suddenly rushed out the room to call the doctors. Within minutes . . . . doctors and nurses were already rushing in and out of Moniqa's room.

Xiah and the others just waited patiently outside. Xiah didn't know what to do. He could hear that Iqa was crying and was in so much pain. As he heard her moan in pain . . . . he could feel his heart was being ripped out of his body. It was as if he was the one dying. He couldn't stand hearing her anguish.

A doctor suddenly came out . . . .

"I'm sorry . . . but the patient needs to have an operation in the next six hours or she won't be able to survive . . . ." the doctor suddenly announced.

"Has a donor been found?" Se7en asked.

The doctor suddenly shook his head. "I'm sorry . . . but finding a donor these days is very difficult. And frankly . . . . even this is already an emergency case . . . . We still can't find a donor for her . . . ." the doctor replied.

Xiah heard what the doctor had said and somehow he suddenly felt very weak. He was totally confused. Everything he had discovered during that day was already bringing him to the brink of insanity.

"Can't you help her? Please . . . . Can't you try to help her?" Xiah continuously asked the doctor.

"Sorry . . . . But finding a donor at such a short span of time is nearly impossible," the doctor replied again.

"Maybe we can help find a donor . . . ." Moniqa's manager suddenly said.

"Finding a donor is not that easy. First of all . . . . the donor's heart must be healthy. And second is . . . . unless the donor himself writes a written consent that he or she allows Moniqa to be the sole recipient of his or her heart . . . . then it is the only way that we can use his or her heart without any delay," the doctor answered.

"Are there any important things we should know while trying to find a donor . . . I mean what blood type he must be or are there age requirements?" Moniqa's manager asked again.

"Any kind of heart donor will do . . . . either male or female . . . . and blood type is no longer important now . . . ." the doctor replied again.

"I see . . . . I will try to contact our company right away . . . . I will see what I can do," Moniqa's manager said.

Xiah just quietly listened. He was thinking of a way to help Iqa. He wanted to help her in anyway that he can.

Then suddenly Moniqa suddenly screamed . . . . Xiah rushed into the room. And there he found her already clutching her chest . . . . She was obviously in so much pain. It was making Xiah mad as he watched her in so much agony. The sight was pure torture for him. Tears started to roll down his cheeks.

"Iqa . . . ." he uttered.

Unexpectedly . . . . Moniqa passed out. The nurses and doctors asked Xiah and the others to step out of the room. Then after a few minutes . . . . she was already being transferred into the ICU area.

"She's in critical condition now . . . . So we are moving her to the ICU. . . . " a doctor suddenly announced to Xiah and the others.

As Xiah watched Moniqa being moved into the ICU room . . . . his heart and mind was totally spinning. He wanted to help . . . . He needed to help her . . . . He must help her . . . . . He can't possibly live without her . . . . He would rather die than live without her.

Suddenly . . . . . a thought came into Xiah's mind . . . . He knew it wasn't right . . . . But he knew it was the only way that he could help Iqa.

He immediately walked up to their manager . . . .

"Hyung . . . . Can I borrow the van? I need to go somewhere . . . .It is very important . . . ." Xiah said seriously.

The DBSK boys' manager could feel that there was something strange about Xiah as he looked at him.

"Okay . . . .You can take the driver with you," he replied.

"No . . . .I need to go somewhere . . . . alone," Xiah said.

"Very well. . . . Just be careful," their manager said with concern.

Xiah looked at his friends . . . . . "Take good care of her while I am gone . . . ." he said to them.

The other DBSK boys just nodded. Xiah then hurriedly left the hospital. A few minutes after he left . . . . Se7en cell phone suddenly rang.

Se7en answered call . . . . . And he was surprised . . . . It was Xiah who was calling him.

"I'm sorry . . . . But I won't be able to take care of her anymore . . . . So I am giving her back to you . . . . Please take good care of her . . . .I know you will love her with all of your heart . . . . When this is all over . . . . just tell her I love her and I will always look after her even when I am gone. And I will always be with her no matter where she is . . . . because she will always have my heart."

Xiah had already shut off his phone before Se7en could say anything.

Xiah was driving the van in an alley. He wanted to do it as fast as he could and without anyone getting hurt . . . . except him. He was already determined . . . . . He looked at the piece of paper in his hand. Then he suddenly smiled. It was a consent paper stating that he was willingly donating his heart to Moniqa.

"I love you . . . .Iqa . . . . I am sorry . . . . I can no longer be with you . . . .Please try to live a happy life. And always remember . . . I will always be with you," Xiah uttered as he stepped on the accelerator of the van. Then as the speed of the van increased . . . . he just closed his eyes. . . . .

Back in the hospital . . . .

Moniqa was already in the ICU . . . . when her heart suddenly stopped . . . . .