SMILE 8

Smile For Me Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One night 7 years ago,

Joohyun woke up from her sleep after she feel sore on her neck. She glance at car clock, it almost 12pm and she and her family still in the middle of the road. They just finished their family funeral at Seoul. It was late at night already but her father insist that they will go back home to Daegu that night since Joohyun has her examination tomorrow. He doesn't want his daughter to miss it. So he gather his strength and drive throughout the late night. 

"Where are we dad?", Joohyun asked before rubbing her sleepy eyes. She can saw there's not much car on the road that time. 

"We still have around few hours before arrive princess. Why you awake already? Get some more sleep. You'll sleepy tomorrow. I will wake you up after we arrive", her father replied while his eyes glancing at the rear mirror to look her. 

Joohyun stretching her body. She so sleepy, she bet her dad will feel the same. So she think she will accompany her father for few minutes or hour to help him stay awake. 

"It's okay dad, I will stay awake. I'll accompany you. Mom already sleeping. You must be so bored with no one to talk to", Joohyun softly said.

"I'm sorry for being a burden", she continued. 

"What are you saying princess? You're not a burden. I don't want you to miss your examination. Study come first dear. Remember?", Joohyun father softly said. 

"Thank you dad", Joohyun replied. She back hug her father from her seat. 

They talked about many things that night. They keep reminiscing Joohyun childhood days and start laughing. It really helps Joohyun father enduring his sleepy eyes. They laugh so hard causing her mother wake up from her slumber. Her mother joined their conversation. Everything was so perfect until....

Everything went so fast. Joohyun opened her eyes slowly and saw her parents covered with blood at their seat. She can't moved. Her right leg feel so numb. She looks around, she can saw another car crushed not far from their car. She feel so dizzy. She called for her parents and start crying so hard. She tried to walk again but failed. She look for her handphone. She know she need to do something. She know it. She got her phone and tried to call 112 but everything went black before she could do anything. She blackout.

--------

Present

Irene loss control. She never cried so hard like this in front others especially stranger. She don't know what make her tears streaming so hard when this person in front her start embrace her. Her warmth embrace. The taller citrus scent soothing her. She feel safe. They stay like that for few minutes until her cry turned to light sobbing and until she stop crying. 

"Are you okay now?", Seulgi broke the silence after she feel Irene had stop crying. She can feel her front shirt wet from the shorter tears. She release her embrace slowly and looked down at the person at her front. 

Irene wipes her tears with her back hand and slowly looked up at stranger in front her. She can saw the stranger stared at her. They lock eyes for few seconds before Irene divert her gazes to the floor. She take a step backward. Suddenly feel awkward with their closeness. 

Seulgi clear and take one step backward to increase space between them. 

"Are you okay now?", she asked again gazing at Irene. Irene replied with a nod. 

"Thank you", Irene muttered under her breath but Seulgi can catch it. Her lips form a small smile after she heard Irene 'Thank you'. 

Seulgi walk out from the restricted area. Leaving Irene alone at cashier area behind the counter. She scratch her not itchy neck. 

"Are you okay if you're alone?", she cautiously ask the latter. Don't want to make her cry again. 

Silent. No reply from the older. 

"I've ask the officer to keep their eyes to this store every hour to avoid anything like before happen again" she said to ensure Irene that she is safe now.

"..but if you want, I can stay here" , she continued.

"Like I said before, I just live few blocks from here. I can stay if you want", she smiled behind her mask and look at Irene. 

Irene attention shift to the stranger when she said she had told her before that she live around here. She look at her eyes. Is the same eyes since few days before. How can she not recognize it. Maybe because she wear something different today, so she didn't recognize her. 

Irene shook her head weakly. Indicating that she's fine. She's thankful for the taller warmth offer but she didn't want to trouble her after what had happened before. 

Seulgi nodded to show that she understand. She rummaging her purse, looking for something. But she didn't find what she had looking for. So she asked for a pen from Irene. She search for her payment receipt and start writing something. After she finish, she give it to Irene and Irene took it.

"That's my number, you can call me if you need someone to talk to", Seulgi said. Irene eyes laid on a small drawing besides the number. It looks like a bear. A cute one. 

She take off her mask. She bent in front of counter and looked up to lock eyes with then older. "I'm Seulgi. Nice to meet you, Irene", she said and flashed her eye-smile. It was the first time she look at Irene with her mask off and she saw Irene staring at her. 

Did she remember me?, she thought.

"Me too", Irene shyly replied and nodded. 

Seulgi feel a bit disappointed with Irene response, but she hide it and wear her mask again. Actually she didn't expect that Irene will remember her since they only know e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter