SMILE 23

Smile For Me Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi squirming on her bed and found no one besides her. She open her eyes and she was alone in the room. She assume that Irene has wake up earlier than her. She doesn't remember what time she went to sleep last night. The only think that she remember was she left her room after the unexplainable kiss she received from Irene. She sit at the living room while thinking for the meaning of the kiss until her mother reach home from their restaurant. She had a small talk with her mother until it was past midnight before her mother told her to go to sleep because she look so tired and sleepy. Irene had fall asleep the moment Seulgi enter her room last night and she went to sleep after that.

The idol pull up from her bed and she tidy up her bed and do her morning routine. She do light stretching to completely wake up. After that she walked out of the room to take her morning shower to fresh up her body and her mind. Yes, her mind which messed up since last night kiss. After she took shower and dressed up, she strides down the stairs and pave way to the kitchen. 

She can hear her mother's and Irene's voice chatting and laughing as she gets closer to the kitchen. Seulgi stop her way at the kitchen doorway to observe the other two woman interacting with each other. She leaned her body on the kitchen door as she stares at Irene's back side who is currently talking to her mother. The idol feel so glad when Irene look comfortable around her mother. Irene is helping Mrs. Kang preparing breakfast and they look like a family although they just met yesterday. She didn't realise that she had been staring at the older for almost a good 5 minutes without making any move or sound. Staring at a goddess can make you lose track of time sometimes. 

"Just wake up, your Highness?", Seulgi snapped from her reverie once she heard her mother's teasing tone. She straightened her body and she noticed that her mother was smirking at her. 

Irene turns around when she hears Mrs. Kang's words. She looks at the doorway and her eyes meet with Seulgi, who currently flustering from her mother's tease. Seulgi shyly smiled at her. Irene slowly looked down. Suddenly feel so shy because of last night's event. She turned around and back facing Seulgi.

"Aigoo mom. I'm sorry I just woke up “, she said and hugged her mother. 

"You sleepyhead. It's so hard to break your sleeping habit. Thankfully Irene is here to help me", Seulgi glances at Irene who continued her cooking. 

"Thank God I brought her together. Thank you Irene", she softly said. 

Seulgi whines when her mother hits her arm. "Aww"

"She is our guest. Don't you dare treat her like your manager here", Mrs. Kang warned her.

"I'm not. Never. She's my friend. A very special one", Seulgi grinning.

 Irene's heart fluttered when she heard Seulgi's words but she bit her inside cheek to hide her smile. 

"Stop grinning and help setting the table", Mrs. Kang pushes her daughter lightly and gestures Seulgi to the dining table.

----

Seulgi was so happy when she saw her favourite dish placed on the table. She quickly picked up her chopstick and picked beef bulgogi with it without even waiting for the other two womens in front of her to take their seat. She gives her thumbs up after savouring the taste. Indicating that she agrees with the taste.

Mrs. Kang turned to her daughter and asked, "Tasty right?".

"Yes. As usual"

"Irene cook that" 

"What? Really?", Seulgi shocked and looked up to Irene who just took her seat across the Kangs.

Irene smiled shyly.

"She cooked all of this", Mrs. Kang said and pointing that every dishes was cooked by Irene using her hands. 

Seulgi nodded her head simultaneously. “No wonder it tastes so good. Irene can cook very well” , she showed her thumbs up once again to Irene and gave her genuine smile.

“Thank you for teaching me some of your tips Mrs.Kang"

"No dear. You got that talent even before I show you anything" 

"You’re flattering me Mrs. Kang". Irene shyly lowered her head.

“So, let's dig in. Thank you for the food”, Seulgi said to stop the two from keep complimenting each other. 

Irene and Seulgi family having their breakfast in a pleasant atmosphere. Irene can tell that Seulgi is really close to her mother from her antics. Their morning breakfast was filled with laughter and teasing between the Kangs. Seulgi really resembles her mother. Seulgi look different when she's around her mother. She looked more cheerful compared to herself the first time Irene met the younger 7 years ago. 

Irene’s mind flies back to many years ago when she was still a kid. When she laughing with her parents when they having their dinner. Her dad is always playful. He always and she always responded by pouting and sulking, but her father would hug her to coax her back and he would tickle her to make her laugh again. Her mother will also joined them and they laugh together until their house filled with their laughter. 

"Irene?", Seulgi called softly.

"Hmm?", Irene looked up from her food and looked at the younger who was staring at her with a concerned expression.

"What happened?", Seulgi concernedly asked with her furrowed brow.

Irene didn't realise that she was already crying when Seulgi called her. She touches her face and there’s tears on her cheek.

Irene didn't say anything. Seulgi became more alert because Irene didn’t say anything but tears kept coming out from her eyes.

"What happen dear?", Seulgi's mother asked. She put down her chopstick.

"It's nothing Mrs. Kang. I just...remember my parents. I.. miss them", she lowering her head. Trying to hold back her tears. 

"Oh dear", Seulgi’s mother rose up from her seat and walked around the table and sit beside Irene. The older woman pulls Irene and takes her into a hug.

"Don't cry. It's okay. It’s okay. I don’t know what happened. But don't cry. I'm here", she caresses Irene’s back. Mrs. Kang's warm embrace reminds her of her own mother. It makes her cry harder in silence. “It’s okay, it’s okay”.

Seulgi keeps staring at the older, crying her eyes out. 


 

 

It takes a while for Irene to stop crying, but she feel so calm and warm in Mrs. Kang’s embrace. It’s been a long time since she hugged someone that she can consider as a mother. 

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Kang. I ruin this breakfast", she said after she detached her body from Seulgi’s mother. 

"It's okay dear. Are you feeling better now?”

Irene nodded.

“You can call me mother after this. I prefer you as my daughter than that sleepyhead", the older woman pointing at Seulgi using her head. 

“Mom!”, the idol whines. Can’t believe her ears. 

Weak chuckles escaped Irene's lips.

"Aigoo, my little princess is sulking. Here eat this", Seulgi's mother picks up some beef bulgogi and puts it into Seulgi's bowl. 

Seulgi eats her food eventually while she is still pouting. Mrs. Kang let out a small laughter when she saw her beloved daughter's face. 

They continue their breakfast and Mrs. Kang never leaves Irene’s side until they finish eating. Thankfully Irene's mind was distracted for the whole breakfast because of Seulgi and her mother's antics.

Although Seulgi didn’t show it for the whole morning, Seulgi was concerned about Irene. Because the older never talks about her family.

Did something happen to her parents? 

-----

After their breakfast, Seulgi’s mother left their house and headed to her restaurant. She managed to instruct Seulgi to bring Irene strolling down around the town to help lift up her mood and distract her mind from anything that can make her sad. Seulgi, being the best daughter in the universe, agreed with her mother's idea and took Irene to the town.

They left Kang's residence at 10am. Seulgi knows it’s been that long since Irene returned to her hometown so she planned a simple but perfect plan for the older. She starts her plan by driving away from the city to bring Irene to one of the attractions in Daegu. It took around 30 minutes to arrive at the said place. Their ride was pleasant since there was less car around the time they arrived. 

Seulgi pulled over when they arrived at the place. It is also her first time to visit the place. So she hopes it will be worth the ride. She observes the surroundings before she opens the car door and tells Irene that they have arrived at their destination. Seulgi steps out from her car and Irene follows suit.

They’re some group of visitors at the main entrance. They walked towards the main entrance and Irene saw the signboard with Mabijeong Mural Village at the entrance wall. Seulgi pays for the tickets and they walk inside the village. Both their eyes were so amused because the village looks like a small village with traditional houses like in the 1960s. It’s not the only attraction, the walls are also painted with some murals and it is really a perfect place to take some memorable photos. 

Luckily Seulgi brought her camera with her. She was planning to capture as much photo of Irene during their visit. Firstly Seulgi asks Irene to stand in front of flowers with a guitar and tells her to give her beautiful pose and she will take her picture beautifully. Irene was refused at the first because she is too shy to do it alone but Seulgi insisted and she showed her cute face while begging to the older. So Irene gave in at the end.  Seulgi was captivated by Irene’s beauty when she posed for the picture. She doesn’t know which is more beautiful between the flowers or the goddess before her eyes. She smiled unconsciously while observing the picture that she took.

They continue their tour around the village. Sometimes they will stop in front of the wall to capture a picture with the mural. Sweet potato mural, school desk mural, horse statue and many more. After a while of walking, they stopped in front of two big trees. 

Seulgi read the signboard , “Yeonrimok. It said according to myth, our dream will come true if we pray in front of the tree". Seulgi observing the said tree. "Let's pray, who knows, our wish may come true after this”, Seulgi said and smiled towards the older. 

They close their eyes and pray in silence. They stay like that for few minutes.

“What do you wish for, Irene?”, Seulgi broke the silence as they walked leaving the trees. 

“Something”, Irene simply replied. She remained silent after that before she asked Seulgi the same question. “What about you?”

“Me?”

Irene nodded.

Seulgi stares at Irene’s brown orb, “I wish that, you will get what you wish for.”

There is a fluttering feeling inside the older body when Seulgi blurts that. She quickly hid her flustered face. A simple words from the younger can make her flustered. Seulgi really know how to pick her words. 

Seulgi grins after she saw Irene’s reaction. 

Nobody dare to continue the topic after that. They spent almost a good 1 hour before they left the village to go to their next destination.

Next, Seulgi drives into the city to bring Irene for food hunting since she know Irene and herself really love food. Seulgi really got into foods when she decided to visit all the street food stalls and tried all the food from tteokbokki, odeng, sundae, hotteok, buchu-jeon and many more. Smiles didn’t leave her face when she ate something delicious. It’s more like Seulgi pleasing herself other than pleasing Irene. Looks like she forgot her main purpose.

Irene reminiscing while strolling around. Not much had changed since the last time she stayed in Daegu. She misses Daegu indeed. 

When they’re tired after eating so mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter