SMILE 19

Smile For Me Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a silent ride. Irene throw her attention to outside while Seulgi's eyes remain on the road. Sky look darker than hours ago. Suddenly stars seems hiding behind the night cloud. Although road are filled with cars, it still feel empty without any noise. Irene know she need to say something to break the silence, but she can't even dare to take a glance at the younger who so focus on driving. She feel so guilty now. All their memories playing in her mind. This explained all Seulgi demeanor towards her this whole time. It's clear now why the younger act like that with her. Her touch, her anger when Suho was make his move towards her. She's jealous. It's so clear now. 

"I'm sorry Seulgi", the older said inside her silent mind. She hold her own hand. 

23 Minutes Ago

"I like you Irene", the idol repeated. In case Irene missed her confession. Irene snap from her reverie. She can feel Seulgi tightened her hand grip on hers. Her grip is firm but gentle. She didn't response. She still suprised by the sudden confession.

"Do you like me?", the younger added after Irene still didn't response. The younger eyes full of anticipation. She demand an answer from Irene. Just say YES or NO Irene. Irene’s mind so blank right now. What should she said?

Irene slowly divert her eyes from Seulgi deep stares. She afraid she will lost into Seulgi's intense but soft stares. She gently rip her hands from Seulgi's. She fidgeting with her hands after they free from Seulgi grip. Thinking for an answer.

"I'm sorry Seulgi. But I can't", she utter under her breath. Slightly feel guilty for saying it to the younger. 

Seulgi taken aback by Irene's line. She avert her eyes from the older and looking at ground. Her hand feel so empty as empty as her heart now. She didn't expect to get that answer from Joohyun. The one who she really loved for 7 years. The one who she yearned for 7 years. Irene's word really piercing her heart. 

It's hurt.

Awkward atmosphere lingering between them for almost 5 minutes before Seulgi let out a weak chuckles. The idol her nape awkwardly.

Irene turn her head to Seulgi when she heard the younger chuckles. 

"Seulgi, I --", she called softly.

Seulgi cut her words. "Aniya. It's okay. I've expected that from the start. Don't worry, I don't like you that much", she lied. 

"Just a silly crush on you. This feeling will gone soon", another lie.

She know it's not gonna happen soon. Because she know her own feeling. Seulgi's eyes still fixated on the ground. Her eyes teary when suddenly she realized how stupid she sound now. Who she want to fool? Fool. She loves Joohyun so much to easily accept this rejection.

Irene attempt to reach for Seulgi’s hand, but the younger quickly turn her body to other side to hide her teary eyes. 

Don't Seulgi, you can't cry now. She keep repeating the same words inside her mind. She balled her hand to contain her tears. She take a deep breath to calm herself. 

"It's getting colder, shall we head back now? You must be so tired too. Let's go back", she said and rose up from her seat without waiting for Irene's reply. She pack all the things and put it inside her car trunk. Irene also rose from her seat weakly and guilt overwhelmed her. She helps Seulgi. 

PRESENT

Irene know everything will not gonna be the same again after tonight. Seulgi is her friend, she really value their friendship. She's the reason for her changes. She's the first one who reach for her in these 7 years. She's the one who broke her wall which she built in these 7 years to distant her from others. She's the one who make her smile again after she loss her parents. Seulgi bring her new life, she bring her new happiness. She is her everything now. She like Seulgi for who she is. But she can't accept her love nor her confession because she didn't deserve it. Irene hope Seulgi will realise it soon that she really doesn't worth it. She deserve someone better.

Please erase your love for me, Seulgi.
----
Tomorrow morning come and Seulgi wake up from her not so deep sleep with a heavy heart. Her eyes hurt so much because of lack of sleep and too much crying. After she said she's sleepy and bid her good night to the older last night, her tears streams without stop for the whole night. She sure her eyes so puffy and so red now. But she know she can't show this to Irene. She doesn't want to make Irene feel guilty for reject her. So she put on a glasses to hide her puffy eyes and wear light make up before she leave her room. 

Seulgi walk towards kitchen to grab something for breakfast. And as usual, Irene was already there, preparing breakfast for them. The younger stop few meters from Irene. She stares at Irene’s back side. She stay like that for another 5 minutes. She inhale deeply and gather her courage and strength. After she ready, she fake her smile and approach the older.

“Good morning Irene”, she greeted brightly. Trying to hide her true emotion right now. She shows her eye smile to the older. 

Irene turn around and see Seulgi smiling face. Despite her bright smile, Irene’s eyes landed on the younger's puffy and slightly red eyes. Irene frown a bit. Seulgi saw the older expression. She know she was caught. 

Think Seulgi.

“I had insomnia these days and I lack of sleep last night. My eyes must be so red and puffy now, right?”, she lied. How many lies do you want to tell, Kang Seulgi?

Irene didn’t response. She still looking at Seulgi’s eyes. The taller bring her index finger and middle finger to between Irene’s eyebrows. She straightened the older’s frown forehead.

“I’m okay now. Now cheer up. Don’t worry about me. I’m completely fine”, she said and smile.

Irene replied her with the same smile but weak. 

“What do you cook?”, Seulgi asked and walking past the older to look at her cooking. 

I’m doing fine. Good Kang Seulgi. 

“I’m hungry”, she said and turn to Irene with her pouting face. Irene smile at the younger pouted face. 

“Just wait for a while. I’ll make it quick”, the older stand besides Seulgi to continue her cooking.

Seulgi stares at Irene’s side profile for few seconds before she playfully said “Okay chef”.

You’re doing good Seulgi, she mentally patted her head. Her face turn to sad expression unconciously. She take her seat at the kitchen table and continue staring at the older back side.

"I’m sorry Seulgi, but I can’t.

Irene’s answer once again playing inside her mind.

It takes for about another 20 minutes for Irene done with her cooking. They eat their breakfast in silence. Sometimes Irene will take a secretive glance at the idol. Even though Seulgi trying her best to smile infront of her, Seulgi can never hide sadness in her eyes. Eyes never lie. But the older didn't say anything about that because she know she is the reason for Seulgi's puffy eyes.

Seulgi still trying her best to talk to Irene like she always do, but she didn't look at Irene eyes when they talk when usually she will always stares at the older eyes everytime they talk. She will divert her eyes everytime their eyes meet. And she will make their conversation as short as she can. She avoid it on purpose. She just can't. It’s okay to keep acting like nothing changed between them for the first day, but it’s getting harder when days passed. It's not that Seulgi hates Irene. She just feel so weak. Her heart so weak for someone name Bae Joohyun and Irene. She will cry anytime if she look at her for long. She also a human who can breakdown when feeling sad. Although she tried her best to hide her emotion, fake her smile and lied to herself, she know she has her limit. Truthfully say, she was disappointed when she heard Irene's answer that night, but she know she can't blame the older just because she doesn't feel the same as her. She know she can't force Irene to love her back. She know that from the beginning, but her heart need time to heal. This is her way to heal her broken heart.

Irene know Seulgi is avoiding her in these few days. She not even look at her when they talk. Seulgi was not being rude to her or angry at her, she just didn't look at her and their conversation were always short and they only talk about job. There’s no more teasing and playful remark from the younger. Irene do missed Seulgi’s teasing her, talk to her with her soft voice and stares at her with her loving and soft stares.

They stay like that for days when Irene finally speak up. She can't stand this awkwardness lingering between them anymore. They just finish washing the dishes after their dinner when Irene decided to talk it out with the younger. 

She gather her braveness and utter from the kitchen, “Do you hate me Seulgi?", when she see Seulgi is making her way towards her room.

Seulgi surprised by the question and stop abruptly. She didn’t take any step forward. 

Without moving a little bit to face the older, she answer weakly, "No".

"But your action said otherwise", the older said and approaching the younger. She now standing infront of Seulgi.

Seulgi eyes still remain on the floor. “Look at me Seulgi”, she said softly. Seulgi obeyed and lift her head.

"I still care for you Seulgi--", she said while locking her eyes with the younger. "--even as a friend", she added. Listening to that words Seulgi slowly divert her eyes to the floor again. She hurt once again by the older words. 

Friend.

Irene stretch her hand to cup Seulgi face to look at her again. But Seulgi take a step back to increase distance between them and to avoid Irene's touch. 

"I'm sorry eonni, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter