Rumour

Promise

Today’s schedule for Violet wasn’t really heavy. Just a bit of practice until noon then went to record some show in the afternoon. After that, they would have their free time.

Yena was being left behind by the group for practice and she told them that she would catch up with them after she finished her morning routine. She also told them that they didn’t need to send back the company’s car because she would just drive. Didn’t need to create trouble when she was the one that’s late.

Yena walked towards her car, cladding in white t-shirt with green jacket over it and black sweatpants. She didn’t forgot to wear a black mask over her fair skin. She definitely noticed some people took pictures of her but she just acted as if she didn’t know about it. 

Getting into the car, Yena was thinking to stop by a cafe to get some coffee. She’s struggling to stay awake right now after the lack of sleep although the thoughts of Yuri might be her Yuri was enough to give her a bit of energy boost.

On the red light, she texted her members on whether they wanted anything since she would stop to buy some coffee on her way there. Soon, a long list came into her message and Yena directly regretted her decision on asking her members. How could she forget that all of them eat a lot?

Yena parked her car and walked into the cafe. Luckily there weren’t too many people at that time. She took out her phone and read out her order and she got her own coffee, taking it black this time because she needed the bitterness to slap her awake. She made the payment and waited for the barista to finish up her order. During that, she took her phone out to look at a picture of Yuri. The more she looked at it, the more Yuri resembled her Yuri. How stupid she was for not realising that at all.

A call to her name woke her up from her little daydream about Yuri. She kept her phone back into her pocket and walked back towards the counter to take her order which was shockingly a lot after she saw the bags arranged on the counter. 

The barista shyly handed her a book and pen to ask for a sign and Yena gladly took the book and pen, making quick sign and thanking the barista in the message for preparing her long list of food and drink.

Yena carried all the bags towards the exit and suddenly someone helped her opening the door. Yena looked to her side and found Goeun.

“Oh.. thanks.” Yena said, clearly not expecting to find Goeun in the cafe.

“Welcome. Let me help you.” Goeun already took two bags away from her. 

“You clearly don’t need to.” Yena quickly said, even wanted to take the bags back from Goeun. She shouldn’t trouble others with it but with her hands full, she clearly couldn’t do that. 

“Just let me help. I clearly don’t mind.”

“Don’t expect to meet you at the cafe.” Yena being a friendly person, started a conversation with Goeun.

“It’s close by our apartment and they serve good coffee.” Goeun replied, smiling softly at Yena as the two walked. “Don’t expect to see you there too.” Goeun continued.

“A-ah.. Yes. Woke up late. So, need some coffee to wake myself up. Decided to drop by, ask my members and end up with this.” Yena dramatically said which earned a laughter from Goeun.

Who didn’t know that a lot of people have crushes on Yena? Yena was cool, friendly, funny and kind. Who wouldn’t fall for that? Girls especially were fighting for Yena’s attention. That included Goeun. It’s just that Yena never knew about that because she’s an oblivious person. However to Goeun, right now she was hitting a jackpot. Who would have thought, random coffee visit ended up with meeting up with her crush?

“You said that you live close by right? How about if I drive you home?” Yena directly offered. She felt the need to repay Goeun for the help.

“It’s alright. I could just walk back. You’re already late.”

“I insist. It could be dangerous, you know walking alone back.” 

“I bet you wouldn’t let me if I refuse.” Goeun said.

Goeun knew Yena was just being kind but she couldn’t stop her heart that beat faster at the kind gesture. She had crush on Yena for quite some time. At first it’s just like an idol crush. Then she got to spend time and talk with Yena behind stage when they promoted and the more she knew Yena, she fell for the latter even more.

“Very true. And could you help me with the key on my pocket?” Yena said, slightly turned her body to the side so Goeun could get the key from her sweatpants.

The view was indeed very intimate and that was what snapped by some of the fans and paparazzi. People obviously knew that it’s Yena with her striking blonde hair and just a mask hiding her face wasn’t really a disguise. Goeun was at least a bit mysterious since she was wearing a hoodie with mask and sunglasses. So, at least a guess on her identity was a bit harder.

“Thanks.” 

Unlocking the door, the two got in after placing the paper bags on the backseat before getting into the car. Yena drove Goeun back to the apartment without knowing that she had created a huge rumour for herself.

 

***

 

Reaching the practice with full of struggle carrying all the paper bags, she carefully placed everything down and she directly was swarmed by her members. They directly dug into their order. 

Yena dramatically lay down on the floor, catching her breaths before she took her phone out of her sweatpants. She went to look for Rose’s video to watch again. She needed to look at Yuri to recharge herself. 

Yena sat back up and leaned against the wall. She placed her phone on her lap and went to take her coffee and sandwich. She ate while watching Yuri, literally ignoring her members.

“You know your behaviour is creepy right?” Yujin took a spot next to her while munching on her own sandwich.

“So when you guys watching others performance or show it isn’t creepy when I watch Yuri’s performance it’s creepy?” Yena defended herself, having a sip of her black coffee. She slightly made a face at the bitterness.

“Unnie, are we seriously going to debate about this?” Yujin asked and Yena shrugged.

“Yujin, before you say anything. I have a huge feeling that she’s my Yuri and my guess is pretty accurate this time, not simply a gut feeling. All I need to find is just that one proof.” Yena seriously said.

Yujin saw how serious Yena was and she knew the older wasn’t joking about it. She also could see how different Yena’s eyes this time, it’s full of determination. The confusion they saw yesterday didn’t even make it on Yena’s face. It made Yujin believed that Yena might be on the right track this time and Yujin would do her best to help Yena.

“If you need any help with anything, you know I’m always around right?” 

“You’re only reliable when we’re playing.” Yena joked, erasing the seriousness she had earlier. However, she knew she could trust Yujin and all of her members in fact. 

Suddenly, Yena and Yujin’s conversation was being interrupted by the sudden exclaim from Eunbi, turning everyone’s attention to the older.

“Yah, Yena. What did you do this time?” 

Yena felt wrongly accused and gave Eunbi a confused look. She clearly didn’t know what she did wrong to make Eunbi scolded her in any way.

“Nothing.” Yena simply answered.

Eunbi then showed Yena what she meant by placing her phone in front of Yena’s face on how every search site and social media was filled with her name, being no 1 search and trend. 

“What the hell…” Yena muttered under her breath.

Instantly everyone picked their phone up to check on it. They knew that Yena also didn’t know about it from her reaction and everyone was directly on the mode of helping Yena. 

“You went on a date?!” Everyone except Yena and Yujin shouted at the same time after they saw what the cause of Yena’s trend was.

“Who? How come we don’t know that you are dating someone?” Eunbi continued.

“Unnie, I don’t think Yena unnie is dating anyone.” Yujin directly defended Yena. “She is focus on one particular someone way too much to date anyone. Well, unless that person is her.” 

“Just a misunderstanding, unnie. Just forget it. It’ll die down in a day or two.” Yena said, pretty chill over the gossip that was spreading. 

“In case you’re curious. It’s Goeun. Met her on the cafe and I offered her a ride home after she helped me carrying all these.” Yena referred to their food and drinks with a raise of her eyebrows.

“Ah…” Everyone nodded.

Yena looked back at her phone to watch Yuri’s performance. She got out of the search site and even social media. It’s avoiding time. Besides, it wasn’t the first time people try to create news over stuff like that regarding her. 

Her members though shared the same concern over Yena. The latter was way too oblivious regarding things like this. They knew Yena was being kind but sometimes that could make the ones on receiving end misunderstood. 

Yes, they knew the list of people who had a major crush on Yena, that included Goeun. They told Yena once but then Yena only told them that they read others way too much. They knew that Yena never saw how those people look at her when Yena talked with them or how those people were totally smitten even after Yena walked away. 

Eunbi took her phone to text her manager regarding this matter before their manager came to ask them, knowing that most probably her manager was already on her way to come to ask Yena.

 

***

 

The next recording for music show ended up with Yena avoiding reporters regarding the news that came up. She had decided to not make any statement and as usual to ignore that matter. What statement to make when she wasn’t dating anyone.

Despite the gossip ran around like wildfire, Yena acted like nothing happened. Everyone that Yena knew was asking her about the lucky person, wanting a scoop of it and Yena simply stated that it's just a misunderstanding. Meanwhile all of Yena’s crushes were either fuming with jealousy or heartbroken.

Yena ran around the building, visiting other artists, friends, seniors or juniors, making sure greeting everyone, being friendly as usual. Her members could only shook their head. Eunbi and her manager even sighed at how Yena acted. The latter indeed didn't let the rumour stop her. Indeed, no one could contain the source of hype of the group.

Yena then back to change after checking the time. She would do everything quick so she could go find one particular someone, Yuri. She had a purpose this time, not just a friendly visit. She needed to confirm something.

She would drag Yujin or Nako with her because she knew she still wasn’t that close with Yuri just yet. To avoid awkwardness, she better brought backup with her.

There Yena was all ready for another visit to meet Rose, she didn’t forget to bring Yujin and Minju with her. Yujin gladly joined and Minju just wanted to stick with them because Minju had nothing to do while the rest were having their makeup done. Minju got a message from Eunbi though, to keep check on the two troublemakers.

As they walked towards Rose’s waiting room, Yujin was being loud as usual, teasing Minju to the extent that Minju was embarrassed walking with the two. The older one always became Yujin’s victim in a way. Yena was already used to Yujin loudness, so she didn’t really care much about it.

Giving a knock on the door, Yena then slowly opened the door and greeted with loudness of Rose’s members. They turned silent though after Yena made her way in with Yujin and Minju. Yena greeted the manager and stylists around first. Then Yena’s eyes locked with Yuri. Yena could see confusion in Yuri’s eyes, wondering what's the reason behind her visit. 

Her gaze then trailed to Yuri’s wrists but she couldn’t see the bracelet. Yuri didn’t seem to wear it that day. Yena walked further in, eyes scanning around the room at the same time to look for particular item. It wasn’t there at that moment but she could be patient in waiting for her time to find it. She bound to find it. Besides, she could always do another thing to prove it. Although if she did it, she literally could be killed by everyone in the room and Eunbi too if the leader knew what she was going to do. But she couldn’t be called as Yena if she didn’t make her leader furious once in a while.

With confident steps Yena walked closer to her hamster. Minju and Yujin were trailing behind her, completely clueless on what Yena was going to do. The two waved at Rose’s members while Yena basically only had eyes on one member. The moment she reached Yuri, she bowed politely to the younger which brought confusion to everyone in the room and eyed Yena curiously. Who wouldn’t? The hot news of the day was Yena and there she was bowing to Yuri.

“Sorry.” Yena muttered and Yuri could hear it but before Yuri could ask the latter why, Yuri was already pulled into Yena’s embrace.

It shocked everyone in the room. Yena could hear Minju shocked silent shriek and Yujin shouted ‘Omo’. Yena knew she had only seconds before she got slapped or being pushed away. So, she closed her eyes and just let herself being pulled to the comfort and warmth of the embrace. Even if it’s just for a few seconds, it’s long enough for her. It’s that kind of time when you felt as if time stopped for a moment.

The embrace brought that sense of familiarity. That small flutter in her heart was there as if giving her a kickstart, the signature sign whenever she was near her Yuri or hugging the latter. The warmth was just like how she remembered and she smiled when she could smell a hint of baby powder, the scent of her Yuri, although it’s slightly masked by the floral scent of Yuri’s perfume.

Thump…

Thump…

Thump…

Yena could hear her heartbeat very clearly, how it was different whenever she hugged Yuri. She had learned that as she grew up. At first was left confused on how it beat differently with Yuri but now she understood that as clear as day what that meant. 

“My Hamyul.” Yena managed to whisper before a hand pushed her away and hands pried her away from her back and side.

“Yah… Aren’t you being too much? It’s not okay to randomly hug someone. Yuri is too good for you. She’s not object for you to play with.” Hyewon scolded Yena directly. 

Chaeyeon and Sakura were standing there awkward at the sudden outburst from Hyewon although they did participating in pulling Yena away from Yuri. 

Minju and Yujin were busy apologising and quickly got to Yena’s side. Yena had a look that was hard to comprehend. One thing for sure was her gaze only to one person, Yuri. Why you don’t say anything, Yuri-ah…

Wasn’t she supposed to react with that nickname? Could it be that she’s wrong? Yena shook her head a bit. She was almost a hundred percent sure that it’s her Yuri. Yena somehow felt disappointed although she didn’t what she exactly expected when she hugged Yuri. For sure it’s not silence.

At least Yena saw some reaction from Yuri as Yuri started pouting, the sign of her Yuri whenever she’s in deep thoughts. Her eyes were sharp and her eyebrows started creasing. Yeah… she angered Yuri somehow with her action. You didn’t change much Yuri-ah. Then she remembered, angry Yuri wasn’t really a nice one. Great… she’s doom. 

Yena wanted to push further. She didn’t even mind if Yuri exploded. She would gladly face the wrath. However, the people who’re close to Rose were totally upset and Yena could totally see Minju and Yujin busily bowing here and there, not to mention the look Chaeyeon and Sakura gave her asking what she was doing. Before she could do or say anything, she felt Yujin tugging her arms, asking her to retreat, knowing how much trouble she had created. It seemed that her curiosity and urge to solve everything regarding Yuri needed to be postponed for another day.

“Sorry for the trouble.” Yena bowed one last time, sparing one last glance to Yuri who was pouting with her signature hamster pout, before she retreated with her members. 

 

***

 

What Yena did to Yuri became the hot gossip behind the stage that day. People were curious on what was going on. Some even thought that Yuri was the person Yena was with earlier in the morning. It could be said that Yuri indirectly got roped into Yena’s dating rumour.

All this, of course, travelled to Eunbi, Nako, Chaewon and their manager who weren’t there to witness it. No one managed to talk to the three regarding that because they needed to go the stage. 

Anyone that saw Violet could sense the tension among the members. Eunbi was so ready to kill the reckless Yena. She should have known Minju alone wouldn’t be able to control those two. Yujin would definitely stick with Yena regarding this, the two always had the same principle somehow, act first, think later. When mess happened, the rest of the members were the one busy taking care of it. Sometimes, Eunbi wished that she didn’t have the two troublemakers and have peaceful members like Rose. Chaeyeon had it easy.

The moment all of them were back into their waiting room, behind the close door, Eunbi directly glared at Yena. Minju shuffled around nervously because the three were under interrogation.

“Seriously, Yena. Could you just not create any trouble?” Eunbi started and Yena was going to give a retort until she saw the glare everyone gave her, not just Eunbi. 

Yena sighed softly and ran her fingers through her blonde locks. She actually didn’t want to talk about this right now because she got a lot to think about. She was almost a hundred percent sure Yuri was her Yuri. The biggest question now would be why the younger didn’t want to recognise her.

“Okay… we let go of the rumour happening in the morning. But others don’t know about the truth, even if they do, they still prefer the rumour. You know how that works. Now you’re bringing trouble to Rose.” Eunbi continued giving lesson to Yena.

“What if it got out and people thought that you and Yuri are dating?” Eunbi continued.

Now Yena couldn’t stop from defending herself. She felt the need to. 

“That’s even better. I want to see if she would still act that way, pretending not to know me. She didn’t even say anything when I hugged her. She didn’t push me away nor slap me. And that Hyewon… arghh…” 

Okay, Yena might let her emotion get to her too, hence the outburst. Yena was frustrated. Everyone could feel the heavy tension on air. Eunbi and Yena were mad mad. 

“Stop being so childish, Yena-yah. You should know that not everyone would like to be in a rumour with you. You also should stop thinking of Yuri as your Yuri. I let it slide for a lot of times but I couldn’t this time. You really should give up regarding Yuri.”

“Since when am I being childish? Do I want the rumour to happen? No. People are just reading into my actions way too much that it’s frustrating. And things regarding Yuri is none of your business and don't you dare to ask me to give up on her.”

“You and your Yuri obsesssion is getting unhealthy. See what it had done? It causes you to be delisiounal and now you hug Yuri without permission which is wrong. It’s an assault. You know that? What if Yuri report you? You want to add it into list of your trend?”

“Everyone…” Yujin pulled up her courage to talk.

“Shut up, Yujin-ah.” Yena and Eunbi scolded the youngest of the group, making Yujin slightly cowered on where she was standing. 

Minju kept her gaze down on the floor, Chaewon tried not to look at Yena or Eunbi and Nako awkwardly grimaced at Chaewon’s side. Their manager wanted to speak from her gesture but seeing how Eunbi exploded, the latter decided not to add fuel into the fire. 

“You know what? I don’t want to talk about this anymore. If indeed Yuri report me or even sue me, let her do that. I’ll even quit the group if it makes all of you happy.” 

Yena knew she shouldn’t say that but she couldn’t stop herself and it ended up getting out of her lips. She could see all her members attention were back to her and the painful look the members gave her for pulling that card. 

Yena stormed off, taking her clothes to change, not wanting to discuss this matter further. Once she was in the comfort of her clothes, simple hoodie and cargo pants, she took her bag and pushed the door open, ignoring Yujin, Chaewon and Minju that were calling her name. She then slammed the door close.

No one talked after that and just looked at Yena walking away. Everyone needed to calm down and they knew Yena needed space. So much was going on. The manager followed Yena and even asked the latter to stop, not minding the attention people gave them. 

“Go back unnie. I’ll be fine. I’ll go back by myself. I need to cool my head down. Then you can scold me.” Yena sighed, taking a mask out of her bag and put it on, ducking her head down slightly.

That’s one of the quality of Yena that made people couldn’t really be mad at the latter. If Yena made a mistake, she would always admit it in the end after she was calm down from everything.

“Alright. Be careful and don’t wander around until it’s late. Don’t forget to stay low.” The manager said and Yena just gave an okay sign to the older woman as she walked away.

 

***

 

With a ping from her phone, Yena knew there was a text message coming in. She was driving aimlessly, trying to clear her head off things, her anger, confusion and frustration. She decided not to look at her phone, not until her head was clear. 

Yena huffed before she let out a scoff. It seemed that she was trapped in between. Yuri affected her entirety all the time. She also defended the latter without Yuri knew anything about it. Everyone would always say how childish she was when it’s Yuri related. It’s always that word, childish. Nothing else.  Everyone in here included her parents and her members.

Yena knew that pretty well, the look everyone gave her when she talked about Yuri. The look of how ridiculous she was and that she should just give up. Some even looked at her with pity at times. Everyone who knew her feelings towards Yuri always told her that it’s just a phase of puppy love, it would be gone as she grew up. Since then, Yena had been battling to prove everyone that they’re wrong and that her feelings wasn’t a joke.

Now, Yuri didn’t even want to recognise her. She felt like a fool. She wanted to give up, let go of her feelings. However, people would just laugh at her, as if telling her that they’re right all this time. It’s nothing but puppy love that’s supposed to be forgotten.

“Tch… in the end, I’m the biggest clown.” Yena mumbled to herself, pulling her car to a stop.

Yena sighed and looked at the passenger seat where her phone was, just right next to her bag. She took the phone to check on the messages. She could see Yujin, group chat, Sakura, manager and Chaewon’s name popping up on the notification.

Yena opened the group chat, already knew what’s in it before she read it. The spam of her name and asking her location. 

 

I’m alright. Don’t worry about me. Be back in a hour or so. Talk later.

 

Yena left that message to the group chat. She then ignored the rest of everything. She just didn’t want her member to get worried. She would talk with Yujin and Chaewon face to face later than checking their message. For Sakura, maybe after she could sort her thoughts. Right now she didn’t even know what she wanted to do to herself at the knowledge of Yuri.

Yena rested her head on the headrest, closing her eyes and massaged her temple. She created trouble to her members and now Rose’s members too from her rashness. She didn’t want to be blamed but it seemed that she should blame herself for that. She should have a better control of her emotion. She should just drag Yuri somewhere alone instead of hugging Yuri in front of everyone else.

At this state, Yena preferred that Yuri just gave her an answer instead of ignoring her like that. It’s more painful than Yuri actually told her that things had changed and they couldn’t be friends anymore. She really wouldn’t mind that she didn’t even get the chance to confess. 

Yena took her phone again and unlocked it, deciding to look for video of Yuri, listening to the younger’s voice that she started to find as calming and soothing. 

“Yuri-ah… you really drive me insane, you know that?” Yena muttered to the figure inside of her phone.

Then Yena caught sight of something on Yuri’s wrist again on one of her performances. The yellow and orange colour that looked just like the sunset that hit her face right now. It brought her hope, reminding her on how she felt when she last saw Yuri. 

Giving up was now a huge no to her. She still had to prove to everyone that she was right, that she indeed had a chance. She believed Yuri still held Yena close to her heart if not that bracelet would be long gone. Why would the younger still wear it if she meant nothing? With new resolution in wanting to know what actually was going on, Yena definitely wouldn’t let this slide away and would investigate this further. 

“Let’s play, Yuri-ah. If that’s what you want.” Yena placed her phone down back to the seat next to hers. Her eyes shone as she was in her better mood already. I’ll do everything in my power until you recognise me, my Hamyul.