Favor

Promise

“Rose are coming out with new single ‘Airplane’, a cheerful and energetic music to cheer your day up. Could they beat Violet in the show next week? Stay tune.”

“Is Rose and Violet going to go neck to neck again?”

“Could Violet hold their position as the first? We’ll see.”

 

Yena, one of Violet’s members, turned off the TV. Every channel had been talking about her group and Rose again. The media always makes it seem like they were rival while in fact, they are close friends, not to the term of how close she was with her members, but still no hatred between the two group and they always sincerely congratulates the other if one of them win the award. Although she must admit, at times, she hated how their company always does it on purpose, promoting at nearly the same time, as if emphasizing that it is in fact true.

“Yah, Yena. Why did you turn off the TV? I want to watch.” The leader, Eunbi said as she already went to take the remote to turn the TV on.

“What’s to watch? They just exaggerate things again.” Yena groaned, resting her head on the backrest of the couch, clearly annoyed.

“Rose’s concept of course. What else to watch? I’m curious.” Eunbi fiddled with the channel to look for Rose’s new music video.

The new song of Rose filled the living room and Yena must admit it was really catchy.

“A-A-Airplane~~” 

Yena could hear the source of excitement in the house already singing and jumping around before plopping herself down to the couch.

“The song is good.” The puppy of the house nudged Yena’s shoulder with her elbow which earned a glare from Yena.

“What are you guys listening?” Nako who just came out of the room asked, although she pretty much went to the kitchen first to take a tube of ice cream to eat before joining them in the living room. 

“New single from Rose, Airplane.” Eunbi said. “Which Yena turned off earlier.”

“Unnie, I only do that because of how annoying the media sounds. You clearly know that I don’t have any hatred to the group.” Yena quickly raised both of her hands to show that she really had no ill intention.

Somehow not long after, Chaewon and Minju also gathered up in the living room after hearing the noise and of course, all of them started to share the ice cream Nako took with her earlier.

“Yah~~ you guys should get your own ice cream.” Nako whined but all of them just laughed, especially Yena and continued to steal more ice cream from Nako.

“Don’t be stingy, Nako. Promise to stock up for you next time we go out.” Yena said and others nodded. 

“You’re the one paying right?” Eunbi purposely said to tease Yena which made Yena stopped eating for a moment before sighing.

“Fine… Fine..” Yena agreed to it, clearly not knowing Eunbi was only teasing. So, seemingly Yena would end up paying on the next shopping which brought huge uproar in the dorm. 

 

***

 

“Yuri, good job.” Chaeyeon, the leader said, giving a thumb up to their main singer as she walked passed Yuri to take a bottle of water to drink. The group was taking a small break from practicing. “Guys, good job.” Chaeyeon spoke a bit louder to the rest of the group. 

Yuri took a seat and leaned her back against the wall as she gulped down her drink before joined by Hyewon, another member of the group. 

Sakura walked to her bag, to take out her phone, and sat down next to Chaeyeon as the two went to look at people’s reaction of their new single. 

 

“It’s so addictive.”

“Stream… stream… stream… let’s get 5M views before today ends.”

“I love their new single.”

 

And more comments regarding their new songs in social media platform. They smiled at the good ones and not letting the negatives ones affect them while still taking all the constructive criticisms sent their way.

One by one gathered up around Chaeyeon and Sakura, starting with Wonyoung, Hitomi then followed by Yuri and Hyewon. They gathered to look more about their newly released single. Of course, all of them also noticed the release of their single would be in rivalry with Violet’s new single too, ‘Ayayaya’.

“I always don’t understand why the company releases our single at the same time as theirs.” Hyewon mumbled softly and Yuri nodded by her side. 

“Don’t get me wrong though. This tends to create fan wars which we definitely had seen before when our debut was only 2 weeks gap between ours and theirs.” Hyewon continued. 

“Even the media make it like a rivalry whenever one of us comes out with something whether it’s a full length album or a single.” Wonyoung chimed in, sharing the same concern and others too despite not voicing it out right now.

“Luckily we’re on good term with them and all of us clearly not liking the situation as well. Our company and theirs just love the attention whenever that happened.” Chaeyeon said, although sometimes she didn’t understand on why their company would want to do that when some other companies would prefer to steer out of competition and a possible rivalry between group.

Chaeyeon didn’t really like how the media made it sounds, sometimes it would provoke the fans from both side, the same concern that she and her members shared all the time. She knew that Violet’s also shared the same concern because the two groups did talk a lot behind the stage whenever they promoted during the same time, which was a lot that made the two groups grew their friendship. Although among all of them, Yuri was the one distancing herself more from the group, especially from one particular member of Violet’s, Yena. Chaeyeon didn’t know why but she didn’t want to pry too much. Maybe Yuri just didn’t feel like getting to know Yena. You know like sometimes you got a feeling that you wouldn’t get close to one person or even wouldn’t be in good terms.

Not all was bad though, because there were also fans that were encouraging more interaction in between them. At first that group was smaller but now growing in size when they saw pictures and fan-cams around about their interaction and somehow their friendship radiated through those which started to convert the fans from both groups to like the other one, instead of hating. All of them of course would prefer that, rather than seeing their fans having a war. 

“At least the fans aren’t that bad like how it was in the past and sort of being supportive of us now.” Yuri softly mumbled as she hugged her legs and rested her chin on her knees.

The rest nodded as they gathered around in a circle to watch Sakura scrolled through the screen of her phone to continue to look at the response and social media and also some preview on the screen.

Then somehow pictures of Violet’s members mixed in the topic of their new single, seemingly they got intertwined in a weird way. There were stills of each of Violet’s members but only one that caught Yuri’s eyes, Yena.

 

***

 

Violet’s members were going to head for their schedule for the day. They had known about the new single release from Rose so they definitely wouldn’t be caught off guard in case there were questions regarding that topic that they couldn’t dodge. 

Getting into the van, Yena picked the further back of the seat. Main reason that somehow she wasn’t really in a good mood today. Maybe the way the media talked ignited something in her. She was famous now but still she felt helpless and unhappy in a way. It’s just that kind of time when she was reminded of her first and only love of her life. To others it would just be a puppy love and that she would forget when she grew older but that wasn’t really the case for Yena. 

The memories of her first love were still fresh in her mind. Every second of it. What the latter’s favourites, habits, she still remembered all that. Although most probably the latter would have new favourites ever since they parted ways.

She still remembered when she first saw her. She was on her little escapade from her room and roamed around the hospital. It wasn’t the first time she did that and she must admit that she used to create a lot of trouble to the nurses and her parents when they found out that she ran away from her room again. What could she do? She was only a kid and she got bored easily.

That time, it was late but still the hospital was bustling with people. Smell of antiseptic was sharp despite she had gotten used to it. Yena saw her standing in front of the ER, with her pink pyjamas with small teddy bear printed on it, holding her mom’s hand. She looked confused and scared. However, it sparked Yena’s interest. It’s rare to see someone around her age wandering around in hospital during this time. So, Yena approached her. Yena stopped though when she saw that the girl’s mom crouching down to talk with her daughter and then she heard the girl’s cried and while hugging her mom. They stayed like that for a moment, the people around didn’t seem to bother them. That somehow also applied to Yena. She didn’t know how long she stood there, all she knew was she wanted to cheer the girl up because she just never really liked to see others sad or cried.

When the girl’s mom stood up since her daughter had stopped crying and only sniffing, Yena started her small steps again towards the mother and daughter. Funny thing was that she hadn’t being dragged out of the hallway and back to her room. Maybe she was indeed destined to be with her that day whenever Yena thought about it now.

Yena remembered the small version of her standing in front of the mom and daughter, lips pursed why thinking hard on how to start a conversation. So, she stayed with the easiest one, like how her parents taught her. Bowing politely to the lady, before straightening up her back, she stretched her hand out to the girl in front of her. 

“Hello, I’m Yena.” Yena smiled softly, hoping that it could affect the girl, cheering the girl up.

Small Yena could see the confusion in the girl’s eyes for a moment, using the back of her hand to wipe her cheeks from earlier tears before glancing at her mom. The lady gave her daughter an encouraging nod before the girl’s stretched her hand out to hold Yena’s hand. “I’m Yuri.” The name came out in soft whisper but Yena still heard that clearly despite the loud hallway of the ER. That marked the start of her friendship with Yuri which slowly grew into love.

“Earth to Yena.” Yujin waved her hand in front of Yena.

“Still Unnie to you.” Yena playfully glared. But the reminiscing somehow made her feel better. Maybe she just missed Yuri way too much.

“It seems that Unnie is in missing her time.” Yujin made a quotation mark with her fingers when she mentioned ‘her’ to make an emphasise on it.

Yena rolled her eyes and shrugged, leaving it unanswered. Although a small smile came to her lips. I wonder how you are now. 

“I wish I know her face so I can just show it to you whenever you’re in bad mood. Gloomy you isn’t fun, Unnie.” Yujin continued. “Although I most probably need to take that back because you would be extremely disgusting if you’re together with her.”

“Yah..” Yena scolded. “What do you mean by disgusting?” 

“You didn’t even know if she still remembered you and you already have missing ‘her’ time, ever since I know you, unnie. Imagine with the two of you ending up together.” Yujin dramatically showed a disgusted face. 

“Whatever. For sure, I have a feeling that she still remembers me. We promise one another about it, not to forget and that I would definitely find her.” Yena said. No matter how long it takes.

Everyone in Yena’s group knew about the story of it. At first everyone thought that this was some kind of story that Yena created for fun and teased Yena about it. But when they saw how serious Yena was about it and they believed in her. Although as time passed and there wasn’t any progressed on finding that person, Yena’s members wanted to ask her to just give up and let go which once they brought up that topic. That definitely made Yena upset and turned quiet for almost a week which they of course directly apologised to Yena for it, the moment they saw Yena’s reaction. Since then they never suggested that idea anymore.

“Got any news yet?” Chaewon who sat in front of Yena asked. 

“About?” The rest directly answered.

“From the P.I you hired?”

“You know about it?” Yena sort of dumbfounded with the question.

“First, we’re roommate. Second, whenever you accept your calls or read the messages weren’t really discreet.” 

“Oh..” Yena nodded with a small pout.

“So?” Chaewon tried to get an answer from her roommate.

“Nothing yet.” Yena sighed dramatically, clearly trying not to let sadness overwhelm her when she realised that she hadn’t got any result yet even after a few months of hiring a private investigator to help find her Yuri, especially after they started to get busy with their schedule that she couldn’t go to find Yuri herself.

The ride turned silent for a moment, clearly knowing what’s going on with Yena and they would let her to gather herself up.

“Somehow I couldn’t wait to meet up Rose next week since we’ll be promoting at the same time.” Nako said, deciding to bring another topic up to distract Yena from previous talk. 

“Ah yes.. Nako is always excited whenever we could meet them other than favourite senior, Twice.” Eunbi who sat at the first row spoke out.

“Unnie…” Nako whined, always shy whenever Twice was mentioned since she had been a huge fan. Everyone just laughed at the cuteness displayed by Nako.

Once again the ride turned silent as everyone turned busy with their phone while Yena was busy staring out of the van while thinking of just one particular person.

 

***

 

A week went by pretty fast and once again Violet’s was in a music show for the recording. Getting out of the van, they had small smile on their face as blitz from the camera hit their face. They waved towards the fans while making their way into the building. The bodyguards stood by the side to make sure that no fans jumping over the separating gate. They followed their manager into the building and directly headed to the provided waiting room for each artist. Finding the door of their room, they walked in and started to get ready. 

Minju was looking at her phone, scrolling through the news, finding the reaction of how people couldn’t wait to see Violet and Rose’s performance and hoping to see a fair vote to the show they attended and telling one another not to have hard feelings when one lose. 

Yena took a peek on Minju’s phone for a while, wondering the reason behind her friend’s face. Knowing why, she went back to the couch on one corner of the room and slumped down next to Chaewon, resting her head on the girl’s shoulder while Chaewon was watching something with her phone, their tv performances and also Rose’s.

Yena let the song filled her ears while some of the members humming the song. She closed her eyes, clearly in the chilling mode right now, while waiting for her turn. 

“Your turn Yena-yah.” Eunbi called out.

Yena opened her eyes and got up from her seat. She headed to get her hair done while Eunbi had gone to take a change. Yena saw Nako was busy typing with her phone, texting she believed. 

As they were doing their makeup, suddenly the door swung open and Hitomi came to visit them, followed with Sakura. The two had sort of became Nako’s best friend out of the group. The two surprisingly had done getting ready and that was why they came visiting. 

Yena mostly listened and sometimes would join in the talk and discussion. They even sang together starting from their song to Rose’s. She must admit that she had been jamming to the song for the whole week.

Getting up from her seat after Yena finished with her hair and makeup, she went to take a change to her stage outfit before rejoining with the group. They chatted and acted silly and as usual, Yena continued to tease Nako in every way possible until Yena suddenly remembered something, a favour she wanted to ask for quite some time but never really got the chance to.

“Kkura unnie...” Yena called out, grabbing Sakura’s attention. Yena was closest to Sakura because they often play games together. 

Yena had been wanting to ask Sakura about Yuri and Yuri’s problem towards her since the only member that’s kind of distant to her was Yuri. Yena slightly pulled Sakura further from Nako and Hitomi. She even wondered if she had done something wrong to Yuri without she realised. It directly brought attention to some members that saw it, like Nako, Chaewon and Eunbi.

“Unnie..” Yena whispered and Sakura looked at Yena, feeling awkward at the sudden seriousness.

“Why does Yuri tend to avoid me every time she sees me?” 

“Really?” Sakura said, clearly not noticing that. She always thought them all of them mingled pretty well, as if they’re one group.

“Mmhmm...” Yena nodded her head vigorously. “I can’t believe you don’t notice that.” 

“But Yuri is always quiet, maybe that’s why.” Sakura tried to recall on when Yuri seemed to avoid her gaming friend. 

“Just need your help to give me some moment to talk.” 

Yena had been wanting to get close to Yuri the moment she knew about their group when they debuted. Maybe it’s because she had tendency to try to get close to people who had the name Yuri, hoping that one of them was her Yuri. It indeed sounded crazy but she just couldn’t help it. Part of her felt guilty that she wasn’t around for her Yuri like how she promised her to and now that she was successful, she felt the need to share it.

“I’ll try to. But no promises.”

“Thanks. That’s good enough for me.” Yena smiled.

The members of her group did give Yena an undecipherable look. Maybe she did look pathetic in a way, trying to find comfort in someone who had the same name of her first love. She also knew on the back of her mind that it’s hopeless, like how all of her members had said once. However, she didn’t want to give up just yet if not she wouldn’t be able to hold on as the epitome of optimism in the group.