Hamster and Duck

Promise

“Unnie… unnie…”

 Yena felt someone tugging on her sleeve. Yena grinned at the small girl that came to visit her. They had grown into best friends ever since she introduced herself that night. Being kids were indeed making things easy to be friends. The two would always spend time talking whatever that came to their mind, watching tv in Yena’s room or simply playing with Yuri’s hamster plushie. 

“Come.” 

Yena directly pulled the blanket up for the smaller girl to get in. It’s cuddling session whenever Yena was under therapy that made her sort of weak. Yuri directly gave Yena her hamster plushie. It’s like the two routine now. According to small Yuri, the hamster would protect Yena and give Yena strength.

“Thanks, Yuri-ah.”

Yena hugged Yuri and the hamster together while they lay down on the bed and watched TV that day. 

“Still painful?” 

Yuri tilted her head to look at Yena, cheeks puffed up as she slightly pouted, worrying over her favourite unnie and best friend. 

“Nah.. I have got my strength from both of my hamsters now.” Yena assured the younger that she would be fine. Even if she’s in pain right now and not in her best condition. She wouldn’t do or say anything to worry Yuri.

“Since when you have two hamsters unnie. There’s only one.” Yuri pointed to her hamster plushie, eyebrows slightly creased in thinking on where the other hamster was. Could it be that Yena got another hamster without telling her? Little Yuri was a bit jealous, afraid that her new best friend would leave her because of it.

Yena felt like laughing at how cute Yuri looked right now. The younger always amazed Yena with her train of thoughts. Yena then hugged Yuri tighter and finally let out her laughter.

“Why are you laughing, unnie?”

It made Yuri even more confused at how Yena behaved. Yena then pulled back a bit to look at the younger, poking her puffy cheek and Yena lips slightly pursed forming a small duck lips.

“Because you’re so cute, Hamyul.” 

“Hamyul?”

Yena’s duck lips disappeared as a smile form on her lips, nodding vigorously. It seemed that the younger hadn’t understood who she meant by it.

“Mmhmm.. my other hamster. I call her Hamyul.” Yena proudly said, telling the younger the nickname she gave her.

“Unnie…” Yuri whined and Yena directly pouted, thinking that it wasn’t a good nickname and that she offended the younger with it.

“I’m sorry, Yuri-ah. You don’t like the nickname? It’s just that you’re so cute like a hamster.” Yena started to ramble before the expression on the younger changed that made Yena stopped to simply looking at the younger. Yuri had the most brilliant smile painted on her face at what Yena had said. What she was feeling at that moment, she couldn’t really understand because it’s new but it’s good.

It’s weird what the two were feeling at that moment. Something warm but couldn’t really be described by the two kids at that moment. It’s just that they knew they wanted to be by each other’s side all the time. 

“That’s my nickname?” Yuri was marvelled by it and Yena felt shy so suddenly. It wasn’t really the most amazing nickname but still the younger made it sound like it was. 

“Then… can I make a nickname for unnie too?” The younger asked excitedly. 

“Of course.” Yena blurted out with no second thoughts. 

Yuri kept her gaze locked with Yena, looking for significant feature on Yena’s face. Suddenly, Yuri thought of something. 

“Unnie is a duck then, my duck.” Yuri excitedly said, breaking free from Yena’s hold only to hug the older one.

“Alright.. alright.. your duck then.” Yena chuckled softly, not minding to be a duck or any other animals that Yuri could think of, if Yuri could be happy like this. 

“And I’ll protect unnie.” Yuri got up and puffed up her chest, patting it gently once.

Yena laughed heartily, always feeling happy around Yuri because the younger always knows how to cheer her up easily. Yuri was just so adorable.

“Oh… little Yuri could protect me? What if I’m attacked by giant bugs.” Yena teased the younger, wanting to see Yuri’s reaction. 

“Then.. I.. I..” Yuri nervously said before she did her best to gather herself up, gulping slightly. “I’ll still protect unnie.”

Yena patted Yuri’s head and hugged the younger. Yena just said that for fun. When it came to Yuri, she wouldn’t let anything or anyone to hurt the younger. She would make sure the younger would always be safe, even if she must face with things she was afraid of.

“Thank you. I’m happy to know that my little hamster would protect me.” 

Yuri nodded against her neck since the younger was pretty much cuddled up with her when she hugged her. 

 

***

 

That day was the darkest day to Yuri, although it was scorching hot outside. She had been crying from the moment her mom told her that her father had left them, going somewhere far. Yuri understood what that meant. She’s a smart one in spite of her young age.

The tears didn’t even seem to stop. Yuri weakly followed her mom wherever the older went. The next thing she knew, she was sitting in her father’s memorial service where everyone offered their condolences.

Yuri spent her time bowing and crying at the same time. She ignored the pity look given to her. Her mom tried to comfort her, also knowing that her mom was being strong for her. She caught her mom secretly crying which made her wanted to be strong too for her mom but it’s just so difficult.

The news was heard by Choi family and Yena had been nagging her parents to include her when they went to the service. Yena definitely wouldn’t yet Yuri being alone at time like that. 

Yena literally begged her parents for them to bring her. Her parents didn’t want to, knowing their daughter should stay in the hospital. However, they also knew that their daughter would do anything she could to go there and that included escaping from the hospital. So, in the end, they asked permission from Yena’s doctor to let her out for a while.

The moment Yena reached the funeral house, she made a run with her small feet, leaving her parents behind to look for where Yuri was. The moment she saw Yuri, she directly ran into the room which alerted the people inside, wondering what was that kid doing running in like that. 

Yena wasn’t the type of person letting that kind of opinion bothered her so she just went on, towards the person that was her reason to come there. With purposeful step, she walked closer and stopped by the crying girl, heart feeling the pain the younger was feeling. She wouldn’t want to see this look of the younger anymore. Without saying much, she hugged Yuri and Yuri tensed up but then relaxed when she realised who hugged her. Yuri had her arms wrapped around Yena’s waist. Yuri cried her heart out when she was in Yena’s embrace.

Yena let Yuri cry as much as the younger wanted. She didn’t mind if her shirt was wet with tears. If Yuri could feel better by doing so, she would let Yuri do so.

Yena’s parents came joining not long after, giving a bow to Yuri’s mom. Yuri’s mom silently thanked the presence of Yena. Yena was who Yuri needed right now, someone who could stay by Yuri’s side while she was busy with the people coming.

Yena’s parents were going to ask Yena to pay a respect to Yuri’s late father but decided not to when they saw how Yuri clung to Yena as their daughter tried to calm Yuri down. It always surprised them at how fast the two got close. So sudden one day Yena introduced her new friend, Yuri, to them and now the two were literally inseparable.

Yuri calmed down by a lot and the two sat down on one corner. Yena hadn’t moved from her spot next to Yuri as she held Yuri’s hand tight. Yuri stayed in silent and occasional sniffing could be heard coming from her. 

“Unnie..” Yuri called Yena softly.

Yena shifted her gaze from the crowd that came visiting to Yuri. Yena directly wiped Yuri’s cheeks from the tiny bit of tears that stuck there. At least Yuri’s crying wasn’t that terrible like when she first came.

“Hmm?” 

Yena felt Yuri held her hand tighter. Yena couldn’t help but looked at Yuri with full of concern, wondering what’s in Yuri’s mind at that moment.

“Unnie won’t leave me like Appa, right?” 

Yena could feel tears slightly formed in her eyes at the question. Yuri looked so small right now. Yena pulled her hands away to hug Yuri tightly.

“I won’t. I promise. No matter what I would always stay by your side.” 

Yena silently made a promise to herself that no matter how painful and tiring it was battling her own disease, she wouldn’t give up. She wouldn’t let Yuri go through this kind of thing again. She would recover for everyone’s sake, her parents and Yuri.

“You know what? Let’s have a walk.”

Yena wanted to bring the younger’s mood up and the air around right now wasn’t really the most positive one. To create distraction, she needed to bring Yuri out of that place. 

Yuri looked at Yena, wondering if she could do that. She believed that she shouldn’t go around. She’s supposed to be stay there.

Yena knew Yuri was in doubt on what she could or couldn’t do. So, Yena let go of her embrace around Yuri and raised an index finger to ask Yuri wait for a second.

Yena went to stand in front of the picture of Yuri’s father and gave a bow, asking permission for bringing Yuri out and also saying a promise to Yuri’s father regarding protecting the younger and doing her best to keep Yuri happy. If others heard that, it might sound ridiculous, a child promising stuff like that but what they didn’t know was a child’s promise was the most sincere one.

When Yena finally finished paying her respect, she went towards Yuri’s mom. Yena directly told Yuri’s mom that she wanted to bring Yuri around for a walk, not far away, just somewhere. She didn’t want Yuri to stay there. Yuri’s mom gave her permission, thinking that her daughter indeed needed a change of scenery.

Yena made a small run back to Yuri and stretched her hand out, just like how the first time she met her. 

“Let’s go. Time to make you smile.”

What Yena said was somehow heard by people in the room. It somehow turned silent at that moment, making the small voice turned into a big one, bringing attention to the two. The people found it cute and yet amazed at what Yena did, because they could see a small smile formed on Yuri’s lips. 

Yuri without a doubt took a hold of Yena’s hand and let Yena brought her out of the place. They didn’t wander far, just nearby the entrance of the building. Yena was talking animatedly over everything, trees, grass, birds, whatever that could take Yuri’s mind off what’s going on even just momentarily. Yuri couldn’t thank Yena more for the older’s effort.

 

***

 

Yena knew on the back of her mind that Yuri would leave her sooner or later and when the younger’s father passed away, she knew the day was getting closer. She tried not to think about it because whenever she did, every single day became a dreadful one for her, it’s like any second it could be the last and she didn’t want to feel that way.

Even when she tried to keep it far away from mind, she still planned for something, just in case. So, she started her ‘mega’ plan. The plan which sounded like a huge one for small Yena.

She asked help from the nurse in the hospital in making a friendship bracelet. Picking their favourite colour, yellow for her and orange for Yuri’s, just similar to the colour of their nickname. Yena even saved up to buy a small duck and hamster to be tied on the end of the bracelet once it’s finished too.

She worked on it whenever Yuri had gone home from visiting her. Yes, Yuri still came to visit her although not for long now. When she’s lucky, Yuri’s mom would let Yuri stayed for the whole day but that wasn’t often. 

It came the day for her operation, just part of her treatment routine. She was scared but she wouldn’t let it show because Yuri came to give her support. She even assured the younger not to worry because she would come out soon enough.

Yena’s parents asked Yuri and her mom to go home first and thanked them for coming which Yuri’s mom assured that they didn’t need to do that because they helped her a lot during her hard time. 

At first Yuri didn’t even budge when her mom told her that they’re going home. Yuri didn’t want to leave Yena alone. However after a lot of persuasion coming from Yena’s parents and her mom, Yuri finally agreed to go home especially after a promise of calling Yuri once Yena was out of the room so Yuri could surprise Yena when the older woke up.

Yena’s parents did as promise. They didn’t want to break their promise to someone that their daughter held in a high importance. They also thought that it would be good for Yena too.

Yuri’s mom brought Yuri back to the hospital at the call. Yuri directly climbed on the seat that’s located near the bed when she arrived so she could be as close as she could to Yena. Yuri was being careful though, knowing how delicate the equipments around Yena. 

When Yena was awake from her operation, Yuri was right next to her, looking at Yena up close as if to make sure that she wouldn’t miss it out. Yena weakly poked Yuri’s cheek and Yuri giggled as a response. Yuri gently hugged Yena to give the older one strength, not forgetting to bring her hamster plushie into the embrace as well remembering what Yena had said about Yena’s source of strength. It ended up with the two sleeping together until the morning came with Yuri’s mom leaving Yuri to Choi’s family care for that day.

 

***

 

Yena got better slowly but of course still needed further treatment and therapy. It’s just that it no longer looked impossible. Everyone knew how hard Yena fought, battling the disease and they were proud of her. Yena’s parents especially thanked Yuri because Yena turned a lot brighter after meeting her and that Yena had someone to play with when they were busy. Yuri was like the support that came in a right time in a battle for the soldiers on the frontline.

 That day, Yuri came to visit Yena with her mom. Yena was left alone with Yuri and Yena thanked their parents. By the look of the younger, Yena knew what was going on. The day that she dreaded so much had finally come. Yuri couldn’t even raise her head to look at Yena, hiding her tearful eyes.

Yuri stood there in her room, didn’t even move a step from the moment she came in. Yena got down of the bed carefully. From the reflection on the floor and also how the shadow moved, Yuri noticed what Yena was doing and walked closer to Yena, didn’t want something to happen to the older one because Yena was still in recovery and wasn’t on her best condition.

Yena wrapped her arms around Yuri the moment she managed to slide off the bed. Yena heard soft whisper from Yuri. Her guess was Yuri was going to tell her what she was being afraid of so much.

“I know.” Yena whispered to cut off what Yuri was going to tell her, because Yuri’s voice started to break, a first sign that Yuri’s going to cry.

Yena was doing her best not to cry although she probably would when Yuri wasn’t around. She would always keep the strong front in front of Yuri, knowing how Yuri depended on her for most of the time. 

“When I’m not around, unnie shouldn’t be that naughty okay? Because I don’t want anything to happen to unnie with no one to help you.” Yuri muttered softly, hugging Yena tightly, hand clutch tight on Yena’s shirt. 

Yena laughed a bit before choked by her own tears. She realised by then that she was silently crying. She was hugging Yuri tightly, didn’t want the younger to leave her. She didn’t know it would hurt this much. She thought she would be ready when the time came but apparently she never did. Whatever her answer was for Yuri left unanswered as she tried to calm herself down, didn’t want to breakdown in front of Yuri.

The two stood there crying silently. The comfort the two got from one another could no longer be felt after today so the two didn’t plan to break the hug anytime soon. 

Yena was being the most rebellious one, could feel annoyance built inside of her chest. However, she knew she couldn’t do much in her condition which frustrated her in a way. Yuri being the understanding one noticed the change in Yena, feeling how tense her body was.

“Unnie…” Yuri started off softly and she gave gentle pats on Yena’s back to calm Yena down.

“I’m sorry, Yuri-ah. I couldn’t do anything. I don’t want you to leave me.” Yena pouted, making her duck lips even more prominent.

“I don’t want it, unnie.” Yuri’s lower lip jutted out and Yena could see the struggle of Yuri holding back her tears.

Yena raised her hand to wipe off Yuri’s tears and smiled weakly, trying to cheer Yuri up. Then proceeded to wipe her own off her face. Yena took a step back and shoved her hand to the small pocket in front of her shirt. She then took the friendship bracelet she had made, feeling proud with it as she presented it to Yuri.

“I made this for you. It’s not the best but I hope you like it. I also hope you will remember me every time you see this.” 

Yuri had that look again, the look of wonder whenever Yena did something like this. It wasn’t a huge gesture but it meant a lot to Yuri. What Yuri didn’t know was how it always brought warmth feeling inside of Yena’s chest and how Yena’s heart picked up pace slightly. The slight jolt that Yena had grown accustomed to when she’s around Yuri before her heart beat went back to its normal pace.

Yuri gave her hand for Yena to put the bracelet around her wrist. She loved the colour and how at the ends of it had the animals that symbolised them.

“I love it. I won’t take this off, ever.” Yuri said, still looking amazed at the bracelet on her hand. She stared at it for a while, not noticing Yena was staring at her instead.

Yuri tried to think of something she could give Yena so Yena wouldn’t forget her. Then she reminded of the hamster she always brings around everywhere, she’s even still holding it in her arms. Yuri directly placed the hamster in between her and Yena.

“For unnie. Since Hamyul wouldn’t be around at least little hamster could give unnie strength.”

Yena held the hamster and left to ponder for a moment, wasn’t quite sure on taking it away from Yuri. She knew Yuri always brought that plushie around.

“But.. this is your favourite. You couldn’t be without it.”

“I have a new favourite now.” Yuri raised her hand where the bracelet was located. 

At that moment, Yena couldn’t feel more touched by Yuri. Something that wasn’t that amazing, slightly uneven here and there and yet Yuri took it as something that she couldn’t be without.

“Thanks, my Hamyul.” Yena took the hamster and hugged Yuri tightly in her embrace then Yena kissed Yuri cheek. 

Yuri directly blushed from that. Yena being Yena tried to play it cool, despite that she was feeling shy as well. Yena didn’t know why she did that but she did it anyway. At least it distracted them from the sadness they were feeling earlier.

Yena chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck nervously. It’s slightly awkward but it’s better than them crying, according to Yena. 

“Come visit me whenever you can, okay?

Yena tried to keep that possibility open. Completely erasing the chance of Yuri visiting would be just so heartbreaking. 

“I will, unnie.” 

Of course, the two played that along. The two didn’t want to bring up the idea of couldn’t meeting one another any longer. 

“And I will definitely come looking for you once I’m completely recovered. You’ll be amazed at how cool and strong this duck is going to be. I promise you that.”

Yena kept the positivity and the promise she made to herself. It instantly brought a ray of hope to the two of them, knowing one would come looking. It wasn’t really surprising for Yena to do that actually, knowing how spontaneous Yena could be at times.

“Then I’ll wait for that day, unnie.”

Yuri had a small smile on her face now. Tears started to dry from her cheeks. The two seemingly had decided to stop crying. 

Yena took Yuri’s hand and held it tightly. Yena would just enjoy this time she had with Yuri before Yuri needed to go. 

“What should we do? Want to walk around?”

“Unnie, are you sure you can do that?”

“Why not? You’re around and I’m good.”

Yuri looked worried at the idea of Yena walking around. She just pouted a bit as Yena wrapped her arm around Yuri and dragged her out of the room, walking slowly around the hallway. In the end, Yuri gave up and just let Yena do whatever she wanted. Their parents saw them but just let them be, knowing that the two wouldn’t wander off too far.

“One last treat.” Yena muttered. Her voice slightly sad but she wouldn’t let it stop her from smiling.

“Strawberry again?” Yena continued as she looked at Yuri’s eyes.

“Yes.” Yuri replied, smiling back at Yena as they headed to the vending machine to get Yuri’s favourite jellies.

 

***

 

“Yuri, it’s time to go.” Yuri’s mom called out.

It directly ruined the bubble the two kids were in. The two clearly tried to ignore the separation that they knew were bound to happen. Yena could see Yuri’s tears started to form again and Yena shook her head, asking the younger not to cry although most probably she was just the same as Yuri.

Yuri in return shook her head too, copying Yena’s movement seeing the older was going to cry too. The two gave one another one last hug and Yuri listened to the soft whisper of promise from Yena once more that the older would definitely come looking for her once she’s completely recovered.

Yuri kept in her heart and mind that she wouldn’t forget Yena at all. The older had become her best friend, her pillar of support when she was in her hardest time. Yena had become the source of her smile ever since she knew the older.

“Unnie, I’ll wait for you.” Yuri whispered before letting go.

“I’ll find you.” Yena promised the younger once more, small smile forming on her lips.

If this was going to be a goodbye, better parted away with a smile. That way the two would have a better image of one another when they remembered this day. They didn’t say goodbye too as it would make it too real.

Yena’s way of thinking apparently understood by Yuri as the younger gave Yena a smile as Yuri slowly retreated towards her mother.

Yena hugged the hamster in her arm tightly, drawing as much strength as she could from the plushie. Yena kept Yuri company, trailing behind the younger until she reached the entrance of the hospital, her parents standing behind her. She wouldn’t cry and that she would watch until Yuri completely disappeared from view. 

That also became the day that Yena remembered clearly. The sun was setting, the warm glow shedding perfectly on Yuri who’s holding her mom’s hand as she waved goodbye to Yena. The bracelet she made blended with the orange of the sunset.

That was their goodbye, no rain, no tears, just warmth from the sunset. Yena believed it as the universe’s way to tell her that it’s not the end, that there’s still hope of meeting Yuri again. The love that was left unsaid would be said by then as they grew up understanding what it truly was, how they felt towards one another. The love was something that never changed, remaining in the two’s heart, in a small flicker of warmth, just like that sunset whenever they reminisced one another.

 

***

 

Rose was in their photoshoot schedule. Everyone was busy bustling around the shooting site. Members were having their makeup done. Costume were prepared. Everything was being set up. 

“Yuri-ah, you better not forget to take that off again.” Hyewon said while pointing to the duck and hamster bracelet that she never saw the younger without. 

It’s always there following Yuri everywhere. The only time the younger wouldn’t wear it was when she’s upstage. Sometimes the younger even forgot to take it off her wrist. The members always took turn reminding the younger when they saw Yuri forgot to take it off before performance or photoshoot.

“Don’t worry, unnie. I was going to take it off before you remind me.” Yuri sheepishly said, knowing how often she forgot about it. She took off the bracelet and kept it in her bag, not wanting to lose it. 

“Don’t you think you should get a new one. It’s wearing out. I could see the thread poking out here and there.” Hyewon told Yuri which earned a shook of head from the younger.

“Not a chance. Can’t be bought anywhere and it’s my lucky charm.” Yuri said before clinging to Hyewon’s arm as they walked together to have their photos taken. 

The photoshoot ended up smoothly. Yuri had changed into a much comfortable clothes, simple shorts and white tee. She went to her bag, looking for her bracelet. She put it on once she found it. 

“What is it with you and that bracelet?” Sakura asked, being curious. “It’s like you can’t live without it.”

Chaeyeon nodded as she heard the conversation. She was curious too. No one really asked Yuri about it before but it’s just slightly weird that Yuri never could part with the bracelet for long. 

“Nothing, unnie. Like I’ve told all of you, it’s my lucky charm, so I don’t really like to be away from it.” Yuri clearly avoided to talk about this.

The members of course could read this pretty well. Yuri didn’t want to talk about it. All they could see was Yuri having indecipherable look right now as Yuri stared at the bracelet on her wrist. 

Yuri tore her gaze away from the yellow and orange bracelet on her wrist to take her phone out. She then grouped up with her members and Yuri pouted a bit seeing all of them still staring at her, lips moving a bit like a hamster, so suddenly feeling nervous from the look. Instinctively, she placed her right hand over the bracelet on her left. 

“We won’t push you, if you don’t want to talk about it.” Chaeyeon understandingly said, and everyone nodded. 

Yuri sighed softly, feeling relaxed and took a spot next to Hitomi. She slightly leaned against Hitomi before unlocking her phone to check on the social media.

The first thing that came to Yuri’s view was from the trend that was happening. On the first rank was Yena and out of curiosity Yuri pressed on it. The thing that she read was about a rumour speculating that Yena was dating someone and various theories about which boys or girls came to the front. Yuri directly frowned from it and she quickly turned off her phone and her entire mood that day was ruined.