Closer

Promise

Morning came in exchange of the night. The grass and leaves were wet from morning dew, giving the smell of fresh air. The silence of the night was replaced by the chirps of the birds. The streets started to get busy as it was slowly filled with cars and people heading for work. The public transports and stations were filled with people marking the start of the busy day ahead.

The hospital that was once calm and might be eerie too, at one point of the night, had turned into a loud and lively one as it started to fill up with people that came visiting or for a check up. The bustle of the day didn’t disturb the two who were sleeping so peacefully after finding one another in such a long journey. 

Two vans arrived by the entrance of the hospital. If the fans were loitering around, they would assume that it was planned beforehand when Violet and Rose came out of the vans at the same time. When the two groups noticed one another’s presence, they smiled at one another except for the always excited Yujin who was pointing at Rose and let out a surprised exclaim “Omo”, making Eunbi and the rest of the members embarrassed for the younger’s sake.

“Sorry, she’s always loud.” Minju apologised to the people around and also the group across them.

Rose only smiled and Chaeyeon said, “Don’t mind.” Assuring Violet that it’s okay. They had been friends for a while so they didn’t need to be too formal anyway. 

Together they walked into the hospital, talking with one another was easy and wasn’t like a chore. It’s like the two groups had always been one. Minju was holding onto Yujin, just in case, Yujin decided to do anything that could cause an embarrassment to all of them. 

“Unnie.. I’ll go ahead and greet Yena unnie.” Yujin excitedly said while slightly jumped around, giving a bit of a trouble for Minju to hold onto the younger.

“Yujin, can’t you stay calm?”

“I just want to go to Yena unnie and play with her.” Yujin said again, slightly whined at Minju while stomping her feet.

People around them and the nurses glanced at them for a short moment before going back to their own activities. Eunbi and Chaeyeon looked at Minju and Yujin. Eunbi sighed softly, seemingly making up her mind.

“Yujinnie…” 

Yujin slightly startled by the tone and calming down as quick as lightning. Minju let out a hearty chuckle by her side and Yujin pouted while walking slowly. The look in Yujin’s face was just like how a sad puppy was. The resemblance was a really huge one. 

“Go ahead. Just don’t be too loud.” Eunbi told the puppy in human form and it directly made Yujin all happy again.

Yujin made a small run towards Yena’s room, being too excited that she got to play with her favourite unnie again although right now they would just talk and joke around since Yena was still in recovering state that the older couldn’t do anything just yet. 

Reaching the door to Yena’s room, Yujin pushed the door open and peeked in. She kept in mind that Yena might still be asleep too, so better be safe than sorry. Even if she wanted to play with Yena, she was also aware that the older needed her rest. She definitely wouldn’t want to disturb Yena’s rest. 

To her surprise, when she got further into the room was to find two figures cuddling under the blanket. Yuri was pretty much in Yena’s embrace while Yena loosely holding onto Yuri and the two were sleeping so peacefully like there’s nothing that could bother them. Yujin had a smile on her face though at the view. Yena deserved to be happy after what had been going on all these time. So, she made a decision. Time to play as the best partner for Yena. 

Yujin stepped out of the room, not forgetting to close the door as she made an excited run towards her members and Rose’s. Yena might or might not scold her for the plan she had in mind but still, the older should be grateful for having a partner like her. She knew Yena would complain on her idea but still Yena would definitely be grateful for it. 

“Unnie….” Yujin excitedly said after stopping in front of her friends.

“Yena unnie told me to treat all of you for breakfast after making all of you worry and also asking us to buy strawberry cakes and orange juice for her and Yuri.” Yujin told all of them. Silently she prayed that bribing all of them with food would work.

“Let’s go. Let’s go.” Yujin hyped her members up and the first one to fall for it was definitely Nako. Nako had been helping her to persuade others to go, especially Eunbi and her Japanese friends.  

“Yena unnie is going to treat anything you want to eat, including high quality beef.” Yujin stated, being as excited as ever although deep inside she was apologising to Yena for ripping her wallet off. 

That statement directly made Minju, Chaewon and Wonyoung fall for it. Hyewon and Chaeyeon were a bit reluctant. If it’s some other days, they would agree to it soon enough without thinking much. It’s just that Yena and Yuri were hospitalised, so it might not be a good idea to leave them alone.

“Come on, Chaeyeon.” Sakura persuaded their leader. The gamer indeed had fallen to Nako’s persuasion, especially with Nako promising to play some games with her along with Yena. 

The chain reaction went pretty good, according to Yujin. However, she realised that Hyewon would be a difficult one when she noticed that the food lover didn’t agree to it the very first time she suggested that idea. Yena unnie would have a strong competitor if Hyewon unnie decided to make a move on Yuri.

“I’ll go check on Yuri first then.” Hyewon said which proved Yujin’s concern was true. 

“You don’t need to, unnie.” Yujin had clung to Hyewon by then, having her arm around Hyewon’s shoulder. 

“In fact, Yuri asked all of you to enjoy.” Yujin lied and tried to make the lie sounded as real as possible.

“Let’s just go before Yena unnie call me and decide to changer her mind.” Yujin pushed the crowd on the opposite side, forcing everyone to go.

At first, Yujin faced some resistance but in the end, she managed to bring them away. Yujin walked slightly behind everyone with satisfied smile that she managed to help Yena in away although Yena would probably kill her for burning her wallet but knowing Yuri was around for now, the older wouldn’t do so, right? 

Chaewon walked by Yujin’s side and looked at the happy puppy. Yujin noticed Chaewon’s presence and she looked to her side. Chaewon had that interrogating look on her face and it slightly made Yujin’s nervous.

“Spill… What did Yena ask you to do?” Chaewon’s voice sounded really sweet but to Yujin, it was sending chills to Yujin’s spine.

“Nothing.” Yujin replied with the truth because it was her idea without Yena’s knowing.

“For real.” Yujin emphasised, to convince the older.

“Okay. If you say so.” 

Yujin sighed in relieved. She didn’t know why Chaewon didn’t try to force it out of her because she knew Chaewon could. Chaewon might be sweet but she could be scary too. In any ways, things went on according to her plan, so she got nothing to complain at all.

 

***

 

Sun got higher, marking the day was getting later. The sunlight peeked through the curtain and it hit Yena’s eyes, slowly stirring her awake while the person in her arms, clutching on her shirt while burying the latter’s face even more on Yena’s chest, scooting closer to the source of her warmth for the entire night.

Slowly getting more aware of her surrounding, Yena felt the weight on her chest and the warmth seeping from her side. Instantly, a smile grew on her face and for once after a very long time, she felt truly happy. It’s not like she wasn’t all this time but it’s a different kind of happy. There’s relief, excitement, fear, thrill, everything in the mix, making her feel jittery and right now making her all awake. 

Remaining still, Yena opened her eyes slowly, finding Yuri was still fast asleep. Yena had a soft smile on her face. She lay down while staring at the ceiling for a moment before closing her eyes but remained awake while hugging Yuri tighter with her left arm. 

Yena didn’t know how long she lay down like this. Surprisingly, no one disturbed them until now. She expected her noisy members or Yuri’s came barging in and just be loud to wake them up. 

Minutes passed. Hours, maybe not. There’s finally a sign of Yuri getting up. The younger slightly stirred in her arms. She could felt Yuri tilted her head up. Opening her eyes, she tilted her head down and her breath caught in at what she saw. Since when did Yuri turn this beautiful? The way the sunlight hit perfectly on Yuri, giving highlight to Yuri’s hair and slight yellow glow on Yuri’s fair skin, added with the sparkle in Yuri’s still sleepy eyes, seeing how the dark brown, almost black orbs turned into a lighter shade of brown, directly brought the flutter in her heart back. Yuri literally took her breath away with how she looked right now.

“Morning, Unnie.” Yuri still sounded sleepy from how raspy her voice was, but Yena knew that hers also wouldn’t do better than Yuri from not speaking a word from the moment she woke up.

“Morning.” Soft husky voice came out from Yena’s lips.

“How are you, Unnie?” The first question Yuri asked to Yena the moment she woke up. Yuri definitely would always worry about Yena. 

“I’m alright.” Yena confidently said. Even without painkiller she was totally fine. She wouldn’t feel any pain at all if Yuri being so close to her like this. She was too busy thinking of how fast her heart beat compared to the pain from injury.

Yuri squinted her eyes a bit though, to make sure Yena wasn’t lying to her. Yena let out a nervous chuckle. Yena definitely knew that look from Yuri all too well. That look didn’t change at all, when the younger trying to get words out of . It wasn’t scary but she just didn’t want Yuri to get upset because of her hiding things from her.

“I don’t lie. So, stop looking at me like that.” Yena poked Yuri’s nose before pressing on Yuri’s nose, making Yuri hit her hand and she laughed heartily before she winced from the pain on her broken ribs. Yena coughed a few times and groaned a bit. 

Yuri carefully got out of Yena’s arm and sat down on the bed looking at the older in concern.

“Be careful, Unnie.” 

“I totally forget that I can’t laugh too loud yet.” Yena grinned widely soon enough, trying to sit down and she stretched her hand out to ask help from Yuri.

“I don’t know what I should do with you, Unnie. Stop being this careless.” The younger helped her sit down on the bed. She looked on the table in their room. She grinned widely, seeing that there’s their favourite jellies on the table, along with some bread. She must admit that she started to feel hungry.

“Let’s eat that bread and jellies.” She pointed to those on the table.

“I’ll try to be more careful.” Yena assured Yuri. She totally understood that Yuri was only worrying about her.

Yuri got out of the bed and took the bread and a packet of jellies to the bed. Then Yuri proceeded to take a bottle of water, adding to the pile on the bed. Getting into the bed again, Yuri opened the  plastic package for the bread and tore the bread into half. Yuri fed Yena and Yena happily ate her breakfast. After the two finished the bread, they drank a bit of water. 

“Unnie, do you need anything else?” Yuri asked, wanting to care for Yena as much as she possibly could.

Yena shook her head, telling Yuri that she had everything that she wanted with her. The most important one was that she had Yuri with her. Nothing could beat that at all. It even felt like a dream to her, having Yuri right next to her like this. For sure, if it really was a dream, she wouldn’t want it to end at all. As much as she wanted that, she got to wake up, breaking this bubble of comfort and happiness that they had right now. They needed to talk, to properly discuss how they would approach the matter especially with her knowing that some of her fans might be hating Yuri for what happened to her when it clearly was her choice to protect Yuri. Media might be easier since their companies had made statement about it although it still wouldn’t deny the fact that they would pay more eyes on them, especially on the day they got back. While for people in the same industry as them, her guess would be that they must have concluded that both of them were dating even with no proof at all, although it’s true that she had feelings for Yuri but others didn’t know about it. 

“But we do need to talk.” Yena started, knowing it’s the best moment to do so because no one was around just yet.

At the sudden seriousness coming from Yena which brought confusion to Yuri, Yuri looked at Yena and listened, wanting to know what was bothering the older. 

“First, I would need to apologise to you on the behalf of my fans. I don’t know how much that you’ve read from the SNS. However, I know there would be at least one hate comment towards you and I would want to apologise for that. I would apologise for all.” 

“I understand, unnie. We’re in the same line of work, so I know that very well.” Yuri assured Yena that the older didn’t need to feel sorry for it. It’s something that was out of their control anyway. “Besides, your thoughts is always more important than others.” 

Yena took Yuri’s hand to hold and smiled softly at Yuri, a bit guilty still but it made her feel better knowing that Yuri was being so understanding. However, she just hoped that Yuri didn’t lie to her, saying that it didn’t bother her but in fact it did. If Yuri did that, it would hurt her more. 

“You’re not lying right?” Yena asked the younger to be sure.

“Do I look like lying to you, unnie?” Yuri returned the question back with a smile, being truthful. 

Yes, it did bother Yuri at first, making her blaming herself for everything that happened. However, she had seen by herself, the length that Yena did just to prove to her that the older was fine to reduce the feeling of guilt she felt. So, she decided not to dwell on it and would focus on caring for Yena until the older was in full health.

“Uh… no.” Yena answered after looking into Yuri’s eyes.

“So, do you need me to act all distant again once we get back?” Yena asked what Yuri wanted. She wanted Yuri to be as comfortable as possible around her.

Yuri shook her head with a smile as a response. No more distancing one from another. Yuri opened the package to the jellies. Yena saw that the packaging of the jellies. It was the assorted flavour one.

“Pick the strawberry ones. I’ll eat the rest.” Yena told Yuri which earned a sincere smile from the younger. Yuri totally appreciated the gesture coming from Yena. It’s just what Yena always did in the past whenever they couldn’t get the strawberry flavoured one.

“I thought we are separated from one another for long enough. We have always been friends, unnie. I don’t find a problem in it.” Yuri continued their conversation earlier.

“You’re right.” Yena nodded, finally finding logic in it. What Yuri said was true. They’re friends. So, there’s nothing to be worried about.

“But what if they create gossips with you being around me? I don’t want it to ruin your clean reputation.” 

“Unnie, gossips is just a groundless statement. They would get tired with it in the end.” Yuri assured Yena about it. 

“Besides, no one really knows about us. As long as we are being true to ourselves. We’ll be okay.” Yuri was glad that they could talk about this, making sure the two of them were in the same page.

“I’ll make sure that nothing would stop our friendship then.” Yena said, clearly wouldn’t avoid Yuri any longer. 

If Yuri wouldn’t mind to get entangled in the possible mess of being friends with her, she wouldn’t too. She would also make sure to be a better person herself, keeping her hard work these last few months the same. She definitely wouldn’t bring trouble to Yuri at all, after Yuri decided to open herself up for her.

“I think you’re wrong unnie.” Yuri told Yena and confusion etched on Yena’s face from Yuri’s words. 

“We will make sure nothing stop our friendship. It’s not just you or me but it’s us.” Those words brought a huge smile in Yena’s face and Yena could also see the smile on Yuri’s face.

“Yeah… it’s us.” Yena muttered softly. 

How could she forget about it? It had always been the two of them, before they had whatever they had right now. Thankfully, Yuri reminded her of that. The two shared an understanding look towards one another before their moment was disturbed by the doctor coming to make a checkup on Yena and Yuri. Yuri was clear for discharged and Yena was slightly sad because their moment was cut short but with a promise coming from Yuri to visit and stay with her until she got discharged, Yena’s smile came back to her face. 

 

***

 

Rose and Violet came back to the hospital after their filling breakfast and also lunch since they ate a lot. They packed some leftover and got some fried chicken for Yena and Yuri and they didn’t forget to buy the strawberry cake and orange juice as what the two ordered. Their managers came joining them this time.

Everyone seemed happy and the two groups definitely got much closer after spending time together like this. They talked and walked towards Yena and Yuri’s room. Standing behind the door, they pushed the door open and found the two were sitting on Yena’s bed. Yena and Yuri were sharing Yuri’s earphone, listening to songs from Yuri’s phone. The two didn’t seem to notice the intrusion just yet because Yena and Yuri were busy humming to the song playing from Yuri’s phone. The two didn’t look like they had been separated for years.

Stepping further into the room, finally the groups could see that Yena and Yuri finally noticed them. The groups saw how Yena and Yuri’s attention went to the cake in their holding and how the two beamed from seeing what cake it was. Yujin could see Yena was going to open to speak and the puppy quickly ran towards Yena and slightly surprised Yena. Yujin stood by Yena’s bed before leaning in to whisper into Yena’s ear.

“Unnie… you should play along with me, okay?” 

Yujin saw Yena nodded her head and then she continued, knowing Yena was curious on what she was going to tell the older and honestly, Yujin was nervous on how Yena was going to react. She just hoped that she didn’t need to face Yena’s wrath.

“So, I told everyone that you’re going to treat them whatever they want to eat this morning and you asked us to buy for you strawberry cake and orange juice when we come back.” 

Yujin took a step back and she could see Yena was thinking. All she could hear in her ears was how hard her heart was beating. Once Yena registered everything in her mind, Yujin saw Yena was glaring at her. However, what’s more amusing to her wasn’t that she was going to get killed by Yena but how Yuri sensing Yena’s distress and Yuri hand slid easily into Yena’s hand, intertwining their fingers and just like that Yujin saw Yena’s anger dissipated. 

“Yujinnie..” Yena started, the tone in her voice meant ‘don’t try to mess with me’. “First thing you gotta do after this is getting my phone.” 

Everyone seemed to sense that Yujin must have done something that annoyed Yena in a way and usually it would entail with Yena shouting at Yujin, Violet knew that for sure. However, it didn’t happen that way today. They wondered if it was because Yuri was keeping Yena in control, like water trying to keep the blaze at bay or because Yena was still injured that made it difficult for her to shout. Maybe it was both, they decided. It’s good in a way or the other. Yena did need to focus to recover rather than being careless and made her condition worse.

“I’ll do it later, unnie. Your things are at the hotel.” Yujin got a nod from Yena as an answer.

Yena needed to get her phone so she could scold Yujin for whatever she had done and she needed further explanation over it too. How could Yujin come in and just drop a huge bomb that she had gone to treat everyone when she got no recollection of it? If she deemed worth it, she would probably consider it but not without torturing the puppy first. At least she got to do that after the puppy made a decision without discussing with her first. Her expenses this time would be extremely a lot.

Yena definitely felt the hand that’s in her hold now, intertwining with her fingers. It brought a sense of peace to her. She was supposed to be annoyed, upset even but this really distracted her from the negative emotions that built up earlier. She stared at their hands for seconds too long but she couldn’t care much about others’ opinion about it. No one knew how much she missed holding Yuri’s hand like this. She could hear Yuri’s talking to her members and manager regarding her getting discharged but would stay with Yena until Yena got discharged and they could head back together to their country. The idea of going back with Yuri together was making her excited. 

Letting Yuri talking with Rose and her manager about the plan Yuri had in mind, Yena looked at her members, finding them smirking on the situation that somehow ended up in favour to Yena. Yena almost went panicked about it, finally realising what was truly going on. It was good but it brought the nerves back for her. Yena pursed her lips in a thin line, trying to sort her mind. Once she got through everything, she shrugged and decided to just enjoy everything instead. 

Yena looked at Yujin and slightly moved her head to point to the can of orange juice. The guilty puppy quickly went to get it for Yena, opening the can even for the older before getting back to Yena with the can Yena was going to let go of her hold on Yuri’s hand to get it but then was stopped when she saw Yuri had moved her left hand that was free to get it for her, placing the can in front of Yena’s lips to help Yena while talking to her manager, more like debating to stay because she got no schedule ahead of her anyway. Yena was shy at first from the look that everyone gave her, not wanting Yuri to find it suspicious she silently drank the orange juice.

Yuri stopped her debate for a moment to glance at Yena. Yena looked at Yuri with one eyebrow raised, wondering if Yuri got a question. Yena then realised that Yuri was asking if she was done and Yena gave Yuri a nod. Yuri then held on the can and faced her manager again. Yena wanted to help Yuri but also understood the line that she shouldn’t cross. Yuri did promise her to stay but if the younger couldn’t, she would understand too. 

Meanwhile, Violet’s manager told them about how Minju and Yujin needed to head back first because of their schedule. Eunbi would stay to head back together with Yena and the rest could pick to stay or head back first. Nako and Chaewon definitely picked staying because they could spend more time sightseeing, counting it as a little vacation which Minju and Yujin got jealous of. 

Rose’s manager ended up with copying what Violet’s manager did because of Yuri’s stubbornness  in staying with Yena until the older was discharged from the hospital. Sakura and Wonyoung would go back first following Yujin and Minju for their own respective schedule while the rest stayed to go back together with the rest of Violet’s members.

Since everything was finally settled, everyone decided to enjoy their time together especially when Sakura, Wonyoung, Yujin and Minju were heading back the next day.

Chaeyeon helped up with cutting the cake into equal parts and handed two slices to Yuri and Yena. Yena was being fed by Yuri although she did try to eat it by herself with her left hand. 

Others just watched Yena and Yuri. It’s a fun thing to watch. So they definitely didn’t want to waste the chance to see it whenever they could, especially the members while the managers were only left confused. Once again Yena and Yuri were sort of shutting out the world outside them. Yuri would feed Yena before turning playful, decided taking a detour before the fork landed in Yena’s lips after the older pouted and tried to eat the cake by herself. It happened in repeat although at one point, the two paused to laugh when they locked gaze against one another.

“Unnie.. wait a moment.” Yuri told Yena because the older was bugging Yuri to feed her.

Yuri was taking the can of orange juice from earlier to have a drink, clearing a bit after eating a few bites of cake. Then she offered it to Yena and the older gladly had a sip. The members shared knowing look. If their managers weren’t there, most probably they would already tease Yena and Yuri. Suddenly, that sweet moment was disturbed and maybe the only person thanking for it in the room was Hyewon.

“Are you two dating?” Violet’s manager voiced out the question that probably was also in Rose’s manager’s mind.

Yena who heard the question directly choked on the orange juice that she was drinking. She coughed a few times and Yuri patted Yena’s back gently while glaring at Yena’s manager which directly earned an apology from the manager. When Yena’s coughing died down, the two shared a look.

“No.” Yena and Yuri answered at the same time, keeping it simple too.

Then Yuri continued to feed Yena again. The managers once again left confused. It’s an unsolved mystery to them. What the extent of Yena and Yuri’s relationship was. Why they were acting so close and could be counted as affectionate too but they were not dating at all.

“If you two are dating and want to keep it a secret, we could do so and we would appreciate it too. But we prefer to know about it.” Rose’s manager continued.

However, this time, the managers didn’t get any answer from Yena or Yuri. The question was literally ignored and the two seemingly shared the same decision about how to approach this matter. The words ‘Ignorance is bliss’ were applied by the two. According to the two, they had answered what they needed to answer. 

The managers looked at one another and they shrugged. Maybe there was indeed nothing and the two just grew into best friend so easily. Still… to them, it didn’t fit the narrative. There’s a missing piece in this puzzle since they didn’t get the history behind Yena and Yuri like how the members did.

“All of you should eat the cake too. I think we have more than enough to share with everyone.” Yena told her members and Yuri’s. It was also a way to change the topic.

“Especially those who are getting back tomorrow.” Yena said that to specifically tease Yujin.

“It’s so unfair. I haven’t gotten the chance to get to know Yuri properly.” Yujin whined at Yena.

“What you did secretly is the unfair one.” Yena scolded Yujin playfully and made Yujin pouted. 

Then Minju handed Yujin a slice of cake and the pout was erased from Yujin’s face. V

“There’s always another chance. We could do so once we get back to Korea” Yuri said, making her members surprised for being the one who started to open up to others when usually it is others who tried to get close to Yuri, wanting to be friends to the latter.

“Unnie…. I like you already.” Yujin chimed cheerfully and stuck her tongue out to Yena. “And… Yena unnie, you’re fired from being my favourite unnie.”

“Thank you so much, Yuri-ah for taking this huge puppy away from me.” Yena dramatically said and even hugged Yuri with her left arm. The gesture was so sudden that made Yuri frozen for a few seconds before smiling. Yuri was still getting used to this kind of gesture coming from Yena. 

“Hopefully I don’t regret this.” Yuri replied and everyone laughed loudly at the banter.

The day continued with light talk and banter like that, making everyone smiled and laughed. It’s a great day to all of them as the two groups grew a lot closer now because of Yena and Yuri even their managers. Although the managers were still having a lot of questions but it’s not like they could do anything about it.

 

***

 

Before heading back, Yujin came to visit the hospital despite the hectic morning to hand Yena the backpack filled with things the older asked her for yesterday. Yujin talked with Yena and Yuri, already comfortable with the presence of Yuri, as if Yuri was always together with Yena all this time.

Yena told Yujin to tell the others to just drop the lunch for her and Yuri as she didn’t want to disturb them from having fun. The others could come to visit a bit later because Yena did feel guilty to make them spend time in the boring hospital. Yuri did the same. The difference was only in Yuri calling Chaeyeon and told the leader about it. 

Yena and Yuri waved goodbye at Yujin, watching the retreating figure. The room went back to silence once again. Yena opened her backpack and took out her phone with her left hand since her right one was still being immobilised with the arm sling. Placing her phone on Yuri’s lap since the younger was sitting on the bed next to her, been that way ever since, she then fished their favourite treats out of the bag. She tossed a package of strawberry jellies to Yuri’s lap before she closed her backpack and placed it on the small table on the right side of the bed. 

“As promised, my treat.” Yena told Yuri before she took her phone to check on it.

Yena directly sighed to see a lot of text messages and miscalls from her parents and also friends. Her parents must be worried that she still hadn’t texted back at all. She knew her manager had informed them about it but still they would definitely wait for her news. So the first thing she did was to text her parents to inform them that she was fine and her mom directly called her when her mom saw her message. It ended up with Yena getting scolded for informing them so late that made them worried sick. They talked for quite some time before they decided to end the call.

During the talk earlier, Yena did introduce Yuri to her parents, telling them that it’s the Yuri that she had been looking for all this time. It ended up with simple greetings as somehow the air turned a bit awkward and Yena didn’t want to put pressure on Yuri. 

“I think your parents hate me.” Yuri muttered, a few moments after Yena turned off the call.

“They are not. They are just being protective. They would understand once I explain it properly and in a better way when I go back to Korea.” Yena tried to keep everything in a positive note. It's just Yena's habit and also Yuri's favorite, basking in that positivity. That's the feeling that Yuri loved so much being around Yena. It didn't change at all despite they had grown up now. Truth be told, it felt even better now when the world outside was full of hate and negativity.

“I promise.” Yena assured, taking a hold of Yuri’s hand. 

Yena knew there would be a lot of hurdles and obstacles ahead of them. She might be overconfident to say that they were in the progress to take their friendship further to the next step, but it was the truth, she could sense it. That part of relationship was still an uncharted water to them and it slightly scared her and maybe Yuri too. However, she believed that they could face anything as long as they were together and never lost faith in one another.

“Now, smile.” Yena poked Yuri’s cheek and Yuri gave Yena a smile. It didn’t reach Yuri’s eyes like usual but it worked for now.

“Let’s eat the jellies.” Yena said, trying to bring the mood up.

Yuri nodded and opened the package, starting eating it. Yena was going to take some and Yuri stopped the older, making Yena looked at Yuri, questioning why.

“Unnie, you said that it’s my treat. So, no sharing.” Yuri decided to be playful. 

Yena looked at Yuri and decided to be playful as well. This kind of mood fit them better. The past few dark and gloomy months didn’t fit them totally. 

“Bring back my Yuri. The Yuri I know isn’t this stingy.” Yena replied with a pout, pretending to be sad.

“Bring back my Yena unnie too. She’s not a crybaby.” Yuri retorted and the two gave playful glare towards one another. 

After a second or two, Yuri handed Yena the strawberry jellies and they smiled towards one another. Eating a few, Yena decided to reply her friends to tell them that she was fine, that’s all. 

While Yena was sending text messages, Yuri took one earphone and placed it in Yena’s ear before her own. It’s like their routine now when they were alone, listening to songs and singing together, other than talking.

That day, the bandage around Yena’s head was being taken off that made Yena looked less beaten up. Yena looked a lot healthier too because of it. It made Yuri happy and Yena could see it too. It made Yena happy to know that Yuri was no longer blaming herself because of the whole incident.

Until Yena got discharged which was in another 3 days according to the doctor. Yuri stayed with Yena. The younger didn’t even go back to the hotel. Yena didn’t stop Yuri to do that, basically letting Yuri do what she wanted. It’s not because she was selfish of wanting more time with Yuri. It’s because she knew it would help Yuri a lot to get over the guilt Yuri was feeling. 

Yuri did have her supplies. Chaeyeon brought it for her. Yena’s room had her personal bathroom so it wasn’t really a problem to freshen up or change. For sleeping arrangement, Yuri was going to take the couch but Yena would always stop Yuri for doing that. So, they went back to their routine of cuddling up in Yena’s bed — the place where the two spent most of their time together either during day or night — while secretly enjoyed their favourite routine. 

 

***

 

Yena got discharged early in the morning. Sadly, they needed to go back that day too. Everyone needed to go back to their schedule. The one that would be free this time was only Yena. The person who used to be the busiest turned into someone who was the freest among all. 

Their flight was at night so they had half a day to spend their free time. They decided not to do something heavy and just went shopping and went eating their lunch and dinner. When they shopped, they would also stop to buy some drink or snacks that caught their eyes. All of them basically enjoyed themselves.

Yuri and Yena were literally inseparable by now. If one needed to find Yuri, just look for Yena, usually one would spot Yuri soon enough — that applied to Yena as well. A week together in the hospital managed to fix the friendship. Apparently it was not hard at all when at first the two thought that it would be extremely awkward.

After their dinner, they directly headed to the airport and decided to spend their time there until it’s time for them to board the plane. It was slightly dreadful because it was indeed the time for them to get back to their reality where freedom was sort of nonexistent to them. Still, they couldn’t deny that they loved their job so much and they would always miss their fans. 

During these few days, Yuri had mastered up taking care of Yena. When to do the breathing exercises to help with Yena’s lungs, when to put the ointment, when to eat the meds, how to help Yena putting on the arm sling brace, Yuri knew all of those. Even without anyone asking or telling Yuri, when it’s time for Yena to eat her medicine, Yuri would be taking out the medicine out of her bag and fed Yena before giving Yena water to drink. So, Yena was pretty much in schedule in taking care of herself when usually Yena would tend to be more on the negligent side.

“What would we do without you?” Eunbi told Yuri, sincerely grateful for Yuri taking care of Yena. 

Yuri was confused on what Eunbi meant. Yuri didn’t understand what she was doing to make Eunbi said that. Meanwhile, Yuri was tilting the water bottle to help Yena drink the water until Yena signed Yuri that she had enough.

“What do you mean, unnie?” Yuri asked while putting back the cap on the water bottle.

“Yena would definitely not listen to us like she does to you.” Chaewon told Yuri and Yena could sense trouble by then.

“Just call me unnie. If Yena unnie doesn’t want to eat her medicine.” Yuri said and already gave Yena a playful glare, telling the older not to even think about skipping the medicine or any therapy routines. 

“I’ll make sure to call Yena unnie to make sure she didn’t miss out eating her medicine or her therapy routines.” Yuri said and Yena just pouted.

“You make it sound like I tend to escape from things like that.” Yena nonchalantly said, trying to defend herself.

“You don’t escape but you forget or just being lazy.” Chaewon sarcastically remarked, stating the fact. 

“Fine… fine… All of you would just attack me anyway.” Yena gave up and Violet members were never happier because they were holding a really strong leverage over Yena. 

Yuri nudged Yena, trying to cheer the older up. Yena kept pouting and walked silently. They walked into the airport to check themselves in before they went to sit in the waiting room. 

Yuri remained silent though, giving up in trying to get Yena’s attention. Yena was sitting right next to Yuri though, so Yuri knew that the older wasn’t angry with her. It’s basically just a gesture to stop making a comment that would end up with Yena getting tease again, just a way for the older not to fall into the ‘trap’ that’s being set.

Yena was going to take her phone out but decided not to and looked at Yuri for quite some time, still silent though. Yuri also looked back into Yena’s eyes and waited for the older to speak, definitely knew that there’s something in Yena’s mind.

“Could you give me the broken bracelet?” Yena suddenly brought that topic up.

“Why?” 

“I’ll try to fix it for you.” Yena told Yuri although she also doubted herself that she could do it. However, she could always consult Eunbi for this. The leader was always the master for things like this.

“Or… it’s still not okay for you not to have the bracelet around?” Yena spoke out in concern, didn’t really want to cause trouble for Yuri. 

“I don’t know. The only time I ever parted from it was when unnie took it away from me.” Yuri didn’t know that she depended that much on the bracelet until then. However, now she couldn’t imagine not having Yena around more than the bracelet. It’s not forgotten but at least Yuri could manage.

Yena could see Yuri got to her backpack and opened the zip to it. Yuri went to take out the broken bracelet and handed it to Yena. 

“Here.” Yuri said, a bit sad to see the bracelet broken into two.

“Remember to call me if you have any trouble, okay? I’ll definitely pick up the call.” Yena told Yuri and kept the bracelet into her own backpack, keeping it secure in one spot so she wouldn’t lose it when she took things out of her bag.

“I will.” Yuri assured Yena.

“So, can I call unnie when I don’t have any trouble too?” Yuri asked in a playful way.

“Of course, you could. Call me anytime when you feel so.” Yena quickly said. That’s what Yena wanted anyway when they finally exchanged their number. 

“Let’s go.” Eunbi suddenly called the two. 

It’s their time to board the plane. Yena stood up first and waited for Yuri. Besides, Yuri was holding onto her passport while she carried her bag with her left hand. The two walked together and stood in the small queue. 

The two board the plane and they sat down side by side. No one planned to separate the two. The members literally helped to stick them together in every way possible. Everyone had the same thoughts that the two were better together, like how they told their managers to get the two to sit side by side without the two knowing which turned into a small surprise for the two, making Yena and Yuri laughed when they saw their seat number. In conclusion, the members came to decide that they would let Yena and Yuri be together for as much as they could starting from now on.