Fun and Control

Promise

“Yena unnie, you should call Yuri unnie.” 

“But why, Yujinnie? I don’t want to disturb Yuri, she's in her schedules.” Yena was never be this confused before, not even when she was clueless whenever her members told her about the others that were having crush on her. 

“You made the news, unnie. So, if Yuri unnie hasn’t called you until now, I suggest you to do it.” Yujin stated, knowing her favourite unnie could be really slow at times. Hearing that, the gears in Yena’s head finally working.

“Don’t tell me…”

“Yes. And the theories are wild.” Chaewon’s voice could be heard this time.

“I hope you guys don’t blame me.” Yena told her members, a bit guilty now that somehow it made the news which equals to creating trouble for the members.

“No, we don’t, unnie.” Minju voiced out everyone’s opinion.

“We heard from manager unnie that she’s the one coming for you and we know you just don’t want to be rude to Yiren.” Eunbi said and it honestly made Yena felt a bit relieved. All she needed to do was to explain this whole thing to Yuri and also hoped that Yuri hadn’t heard or seen the news which was kinda impossible. That kind of news tend to travel fast. For now, maybe she should just hope that Yuri would pick up her call, understanding how Yuri could be when the younger was upset. She experienced that first hand when they were kids.

“I heard all of you mentioned about Yuqi. What is it about, this time?”

“I guess you know how much she wanted to be close with you right?” Chaewon was the one taking the role to explain it this time.

“Mmhmm..” 

“So, she mentioned about you during her filming and wishing you well.”

“Okay. So, what’s the fuss?” Yena asked, a bit clueless about how it turned into a big thing. For Yiren, she could understand that but for Yuqi, she couldn’t.

“So, people are making theories about it and definitely it turned into some kind of love triangle involving a fight to be your girlfriend or that one is your girlfriend while the other try to take you away from the other.” Chaewon stated as a matter of fact.

“Why can’t they just leave me alone?” Yena groaned and Yena could see her mom looking at her from the kitchen just across her, probably listening in too. 

“Everyone literally comes to you if they want to make the news, unnie.” Yujin told Yena, if Yena hadn’t realised about that.

“That’s why we told you all this time to stay away from them.” Eunbi’s voice this time could be heard. 

“But… you never listened..” Yena could hear Eunbi sighed softly. 

Yena slightly wondered if all of her members had secret discussion behind her all the time about matters like this because everyone literally shared the same thoughts about it. 

“So, what do you plan to do now, unnie?” Nako asked Yena about it.

“No idea. I’ll call and see how the condition would be first. Count it as gauging the level of how upset Yuri actually is. That is if she picks up my call.” Yena ran her fingers through her hair, fixing the messed up strands. It’s Yena turn to sigh, wondering how she should deal with this.

“Why would Yuri even go check on the social media? If she didn’t, then this kind of thing won’t happen at all.” Yena mumbled to herself, slightly whining.

“You better don’t blame her the moment she picks up the call. Understand?” Chaewon told Yena, knowing sometimes Yena could be extremely clueless and insensitive. Chaewon didn’t want Yena to create more trouble to herself.

“Yes, my best roommate.”

“You can’t blame Yuri though. If unnie heard something about Yuri, unnie would check it too. It’s not like unnie doesn’t know how news like this travel around.” Minju told her opinion regarding this and Yena found the logic behind it.

“You’re right, Minju-ah.” Yena groaned a bit as she settled down the couch, laying down while staring at the ceiling. Her eyebrows creased in deep thoughts. 

“Whatever you do, remember not to add fuel to the fire. Got that?” Eunbi reminded Yena, knowing how Yena could do certain stunt without thinking much that sometimes would end up creating a much bigger news.

“Got it, unnie. I’ll be careful. I never want to drag Yuri into this whole mess anyway.” Yena said to Eunbi and the rest of the members that were listening.

“I’ll turn this call off now and think of how I should approach this. I’ll be back to the dorm in a few days, after all of you have free time.”

“Okay.” Yena heard Eunbi sweetly.

“Eww… That never suits you, unnie.” Yena chuckled, teasing the older a bit before she decided to end the call because she would need to think on how to talk to Yuri.

“Anyways, time for me to do some damage control. So, bye.” Yena told all of them and she could hear everyone was fighting in telling goodbye to her before the line was cut off. 

Yena sighed when the silence finally came except for the faint sound of her mom cooking in the kitchen. Yena stared at the ceiling, mind blank on what to do. In the end, Yena decided not to delay anything and just called Yuri. Funny thing was that they weren’t in relationship but Yena felt the need to explain it to Yuri because she did feel for the younger and she definitely wouldn’t deny that at all.

Picking up her phone, she dialled the younger’s number, waiting for Yuri to pick up. All she could hear was the dial tone and the call was never connected. She tried to call a few more times and it’s a futile attempt. It’s either Yuri was busy or that Yuri was ignoring her. If it’s the latter, then Yena needed to rack her brain to find a way for Yuri to listen to her.

 

***

 

Yuri could see the name on the screen of her phone, the name of the person whom she didn’t want to talk to right now. She could feel the stares from the members. Hyewon wasn’t even hiding it as the older was sitting just right next to her. Yuri turned her phone to silence so she didn’t disturb her members. Yuri knew that her members were just curious rather than feeling disturbed. Her stare on her phone remained as she watched the call was being disconnected until Yena called her again. 

On the 10th call, Yena stopped and Yuri’s eyebrow started to crease and her pout started forming. It’s definitely amusing to Hyewon who secretly stole glances at Yuri once in a while. Hyewon definitely tried to get used to this new Yuri that she found so interesting. Hyewon could hear soft “tch” coming from Yuri before Yuri stared out of the window again. What’s in Yuri’s mind? Hyewon didn’t really know. She only knew that she would face bad mood Yuri for quite some time.

 

Yena kept Yuri company until she was called back into her room. During that, Yena’s mom helped Yuri in making friend with Yena, understanding how quiet her daughter could be. Yuri’s mom would asked Yena about everything that Yena gladly answered with full of enthusiasm. Innocence and honesty was the vibe given by Yena. The questions started with Yena’s age, why Yena was in the hospital and so on, while Yuri silently listened while hugging her hamster plushie. Yuri might not show it but she was impressed with Yena’s brightness and optimism.

Yena would ask Yuri various questions which Yuri ignored at first and was given answer by her mom before slowly turning into giving Yena short answer and keep quiet after that. To Yena, it’s a progress because Yuri intrigued the small Yena’s way of thinking. Small Yena was wondering why Yuri was always so quiet and most of the time gloomy. Yena was surprisingly a patient kid, considering how curious and nosy she could be. That’s probably Yuri’s first impression of Yena. 

After meeting Yuri, Yena would be wandering around the hospital like usual but this time with different purpose. She went to look for Yuri instead of greeting random people or just being playful with the nurses or other patients. In a way, Yena totally saved some face for her parents and her parents no longer suffered from the secondhand embarrassment Yena tend to give after she sort of disturbed the peace of other patients. Finding Yuri wasn’t hard because Yena had known the hospital like the back of her hand and she easily made a guess on where Yuri could be. When she found Yuri, she would greet the younger and spent the rest of her day with Yuri. Yena would still go back to her room for checkup and meal time but after that, she would go find Yuri again. Occasionally, Yuri and her mom would accompany Yena back to her room and when one day, her parents caught Yena returning to her room with Yuri and her mom, they thought Yena had created trouble for Yuri and her mom. After Yuri’s mom explained the whole situation, the parents from both side were grateful that their child had found a new friend. 

Yuri looked at this whole thing differently. Yena’s approach surprised her in one way or another. She didn’t expect to see Yena again after that night, on their first meeting. Yena also kept on talking with her despite of her lack of response. It didn’t stop the older in trying to get to know her when every kids that tried to befriend her would walk away, finding her boring. Yuri expected Yena to give up but she was proven wrong when the intensity of Yena visiting her didn’t grow less but in fact more as each day passed. Without Yuri realised, Yena had slowly broke the walls she built and crept into her heart.

In Yena’s eyes, Yuri definitely didn’t open up towards her. What Yena din’t know was that Yuri enjoyed the older’s company and always waited for the older’s presence. Yuri loved to listen to Yena talking. It’s fun for her. It’s like listening to a really fun story that never really seem to end. Without anyone realised, Yuri’s way in looking at the older changed. Even so, Yuri mostly would be sitting down and hugged her plushie while listening to Yena’s story and occasionally answered Yena in short response. Still, Yena didn’t find problem with it and continued that routine, telling Yuri every random things that came to mind or simply asking Yuri’s day or any questions that Yena found curious.

There’s also quiet day for Yena, when Yena didn’t talk much. During that time, Yuri could see that the complexion in Yena’s face wasn’t really great. One could knew how sick Yena was during that kind of time. Yuri wanted to ask how the older was feeling but she decided not to, never understood why. Probably it’s because Yuri was scared that she couldn’t do anything to make Yena feel better or that she would get to know about how bad the older’s condition was. Still, during that quiet day Yena would come to Yuri’s room and keep Yuri company. At that time, Yuri would turn the TV to keep the two of them entertained. When Yena was feeling better, Yena would go back to her cheerful self and continued to tell Yuri stories that didn’t seem to end.

Without Yuri’s knowing, all this time Yena had been trying to erase this gloomy look that Yuri had, ever since she knew the younger. Yena was wondering what could make Yuri sad but then she remembered about Yuri’s father. Yena tried a lot of way to make Yuri smile, to make Yuri’s day better and also to those around the younger. So, one day, Yena decided to take a different approach regarding this whole thing.

“You know…” Yena started and went to look at Yuri’s reaction, seeing if she gained the younger’s interest or not. Once she did, she decided to continue talking. 

“You should smile more for your dad.” Yena said without beating around the bush. “Your dad would want you to be happy and he would be happy too even if he’s asleep right now.” 

Yena could see questions in Yuri’s eyes but the younger remained silent so she took it as her cue to continue her sort of explanation. 

“Trust me that I know, because I would want my parents to be happy too, if you know…” Yena shrugged, leaving the rest of the words unsaid. Yena looked at Yuri and still the older smiled. It honestly made Yuri curious. So, for the very first time, Yuri asked Yena a question.

“Unnie, how could you be this positive?” And Yuri didn’t know how happy it actually made Yena feel. 

“I only try to make most of my time by having fun.”

“Have fun?” Yena nodded at Yuri who seemingly confused over their conversation.

“You know… do whatever that could make you happy. Talk, play, walk around, things like that.” Yena’s hands moved around as she explained it to Yuri.

“I know. But how to do that when you are sad? Unnie, don’t you feel so? Isn’t it supposed to be even harder for, unnie?” Yuri fired up all the questions she had in mind. For the first time too, it’s Yuri who’s rambling instead of Yena.

“Let’s see it this way. If I am sad, you are sad, our parents would be even sadder. Won’t it just be hard for everyone?” Yuri was definitely amused with the answer given by Yena. Yena indeed seemed a lot wiser than kids her age and Yuri definitely felt so. That marked the start of how Yuri started to open up to the older and also how she was marvelled by Yena. 

Yena was probably the one who understood the both side the most, being the daughter and the sick. Yuri for the first time saw the both side from Yena. Yena gave her that perspective. Yuri started to wonder how strong Yena must be because she never saw the older sad or gloomy. She believed if she’s in Yena’s condition, she wouldn’t be that positive at all.

“If it’s too much for you, you could always share it with me. I’ll be there for you.” Yena told Yuri, shifting herself to get comfortable on the couch she shared with Yuri.

“Then, unnie must share it with me too, if it’s being too much. I want to help unnie too when unnie is being down, just like how I’ll do my best to be happy, start from now on. So, mom and dad wouldn’t be sad and also to be source of strength for unnie.” Yuri told Yena her resolution.

Yena smiled at what Yuri had said and for the first time, she saw Yuri smiled which in return making Yena’s smile grow even wider. Yena gently patted Yuri’s head, glad that the younger took her advice and that they finally had a proper conversation. 

“That’s better and you’re doing great already.” Yena saw Yuri pouted in confusion and Yena laughed softly.

“You smile for the very first time. Keep doing that because it definitely would make everyone’s day better. I can feel that already.” Yena told Yuri and once again Yena saw that smile. This time, she knew for sure it was directed at her. Since then, she knew her days would be even better with Yuri by her side and so was Yuri.

 

Yuri found it really astonishing and also scary at the same time at how Yena affected her. If there’s anyone to blame, she would blame herself for letting Yena in and giving her whole trust towards the older. But, there’s no regret in that though because it gave her the childhood that’s so special for her. She also believed if she didn’t meet Yena that day, she would pretty much get destroyed from the news regarding her father and she definitely couldn’t picture how she would be now. Yena made her life much brighter and also the person who taught her what fun, optimism and positivity was.

Yuri was aware that she’s upset more towards herself than Yena. She was upset on why she got jealous that easily which led to her being upset with Yena whom didn’t tell her about Yiren’s presence during her call. Then she got stuck in this cycle on how she really did’t have right to be mad at Yena because if she was going to put her status among all those admirers Yena had, she would be on the same level. The slight difference would be that she knew a bit more than them in term of Yena’s childhood. No one could understand the confusion and dilemma that she was fighting with herself. She wished she could solve that soon because she didn’t want it to go unhealthy for her or the people around her.

 

***

 

Yena stared at her phone after Yuri didn’t pick her calls. She let out a soft sigh and everyone would directly know that it didn’t go well for Yena. 

“Not picking up?” Yena could hear her mom asked from the kitchen.

“Yes. I just hope that Yuri is busy and not being mad at me.”

“Try a bit later and see if she would pick up or not. That could help you confirm it. If you got her friends’ number, that is even better because you can just ask them.”

“Mom, you’re genius.” Yena now was excited.

Yena got up slowly so she could sit down. She then placed her phone on her thigh as she went to the messaging app so she could send a text to Sakura. She needed to know Yuri’s schedule as of now to get her answer.

 

Kkura unnie, are you busy?

Can I ask about Yuri’s schedule?

 

Yena stared at her screen for quite some time, waiting for the reply from her gaming friend. Then, she saw the few dots coming to her screen and she couldn’t be happier because she would be getting her answer soon.

 

I don’t think I could do that

Thank you

You just confirm what I need

 

Yena directly replied without a waste of a second. She didn’t even bother with what reply she would get from Sakura after that. There’s a high possibility of Yuri being mad at her. If not, Sakura wouldn’t waste a second to tell her about it or at least, she would get a direct phone call from Yuri. Right now, she didn’t get any.

“How is it?” She heard her mom asking.

Yena got up from the couch and headed to sit on the chair by the counter. She looked at her mom who’s in front of her, separated by the counter. 

“I think Yuri is mad at me, like really mad.” Yena said to her mom.

“I think I should call her more while trying to figure out on how to apologise to her.”

“Don’t worry, she won’t stay mad at you for long if you properly apologise.” Her mom told Yena. “The biggest fight you two had was like 3 days of not speaking. You got separated from her for almost 12 years, so this wouldn’t be that difficult.”

“Mom… with Yuri, it’s always difficult. How could I stay away from her after I finally being close with her?”

“Seeing how the two of you from kids, I think it would be difficult for her too.” Her mom calmly said.

“She’s the exact opposite of me. I’m impatient and I get frustrated easily while Yuri, she’s in control most of the time.” Yena pouted as she slightly sunk in her seat.

“If she wanted to, she could ignore me for more than 3 days.” Yena told her mom upon what she had known about Yuri all this time befriending the younger. Her mom looked at Yena, somehow didn’t expect that from Yuri. 

“I thought you’re the stubborn one among the two of you.”

“You’re totally wrong, mom. Yuri is more stubborn than me. Once she decided on one thing, it would be really hard to change her mind.” Yena chuckled at this talk. Others clearly didn’t know about this. It’s a bit weird talking about this but it’s fun too in a way because she got to know others’ perspective in her dynamic with Yuri. 

It’s pretty obvious to her, Yuri’s stubbornness. If it’s that easy to change Yuri’s mind, she would have managed to change Yuri’s mind on the younger’s favourite jelly candy or at least persuade Yuri to try another flavour. This brought her to that moment that her mom told her earlier, the time Yuri ignored her for 3 days and all of those because of the jelly candy. Although came to think of it, it indeed was her fault, despite that she meant well.

Yena decided to go to the vending machine to buy their favourite jelly candy before heading to Yuri’s father room to visit Yuri and her father. When she reached the vending machine and stood for a moment to look for the strawberry one, she couldn’t find any. Knowing how Yuri loved that particular flavour so much, she decided to get it from the mart nearby, just across the hospital.

Yena’s parents walked into Yena’s hospital room during lunch to check on their daughter and to have lunch together as family, only to be greeted with an empty hospital room. They thought Yena went to Yuri’s room again. They didn’t blame Yena doing that though because Yena didn’t really have any friends in there and they were glad that Yena managed to make friends with Yuri. 

Deciding to go find Yena so they could have lunch together, they headed to Yuri’s father room. At the same time, they could pay a visit. Reaching the room, Yena’s father knocked on the door before they opened it. They found Yuri alone in the room which made the two older ones confused. 

Yuri who saw Yena’s parents coming at first felt excited because her friend was coming to play. She gave a polite bow to Yena’s parents. When Yuri raised her head, that’s when she realised that Yena wasn’t around. It made small Yuri to crease her eyebrows slightly and her lips started to form a small pout upon her own confusion.

“Yena doesn’t come here?” Yena’s mom asked and Yuri innocently shook her head.

“Where could she go?” Yena’s father sighed. The older man started to get worried because Yena was going back to her old habit of randomly wandering around. 

“I’ll go find her.” Yena’s father told Yena’s mother.

“I’ll help.” Small Yuri offered, eyes full of determination of a kid and the two older ones shared a look. In the end, Yena’s mom walked towards Yuri before kneeling down.

“It’s alright. We can look for Yena. It’s not the first time, she did something like this. You need to look after your father, don’t you? Besides, Yena could come here too when we go look for her. If no one is here, when she comes visit you, she might go wander somewhere else.” Yena’s mother explained. Yuri nodded understanding the whole conversation. Hugging her hamster tightly in her arms, her eyes showed her concern, Yuri finally spoke. “I’ll stay then.”

“If we find her, we definitely will bring her here. Promise.” Yena’s mom said with a smile and small Yuri nodded. Yuri watched Yena’s mom got up and walked out of the room to search for Yena.

Yuri sat in the room alone, feeling guilty for not being able to help. She was also scared if something happened to Yena. She didn’t know how she would feel if the worst happened. She knew for sure that she would be extremely devastated. Yena was her first and only friend after all. Not only that, Yena was like the sister she never had. 

Yena came knocking to Yuri’s father room. She was completely clueless on the ruckus that had happened with her little escapade to buy the sweets that the younger loved so much. She even felt proud with it, knowing how Yuri would like it. However, when she came in, instead of greeted with a smile, she was greeted with a pout and frown on Yuri’s face. 

“What’s wrong?” Yena made a small dash towards Yuri and cupped Yuri’s soft fluffy cheeks. 

Yuri pushed her hands away and it made Yena confused, like extremely. Yena didn’t know why Yuri was upset. Yena stood in front of Yuri and simply stared at the younger with confusion written in her face.

“Are you not gonna tell me why are you upset?” Yena tried to be understanding although she could feel the annoyance lurking behind, waiting for its chance to jump out.

“I can’t read what’s in your head, remember?” Yena told Yuri who remained silent.

Before Yena could get an answer, the door to Yuri’s room opened to reveal the panic face of her parents and a few nurses behind them. Yena looked at her parents, head tilted to the side. What’s going on with everyone today? Someone better gave her some answer.

Yena soon was hugged by her mom and confused Yena just patted her mom’s back. The role of mom and daughter was completely changed momentarily at that time. Yena could see her father standing by the door with arms crossed. 

“What’s going on?” Yena’s voice was innocent.

“Where did you go? Everyone is worried sick.” Yena heard what her mom said. That’s when everything finally downed to her.

“I’m fine, mom. Just went out to buy something.” Yena assured her mom who was hugging her tightly.

“Next time wait for us or at least tell Yuri. Don’t go disappear just like that.” Her mom voiced out. The older one had gotten used to Yena playing with Yuri that she didn’t feel that Yena would do stunts like how it was in the past before Yuri was around. Yuri changed Yena in a good way that Yena’s parents took for granted. 

“Okay. Now let’s go have lunch together. Yuri, come join us.” Yena’s father said, deciding not to scold Yena after seeing how his wife was and how Yena didn’t seem to realise that she had caused the panic.

Yena sort of knew what made Yuri upset. It must be the same thing as how her parents feel. Now, Yena was slightly scared in giving Yuri the jelly. Yuri would definitely reject it, knowing very well that the younger would do that. She learnt that at least so far. Yena offered her hand for Yuri so they could go together to her room but she was given a cold shoulder. Yuri didn’t hold Yena’s hand like usual and chose to walk by Yena’s side. Yuri didn’t talk to her at all and Yena knew she was in deep trouble.

“Sorry.” Yena softly whispered but Yuri remained silent. No words came out of Yuri’s lips. Yuri only hugged her hamster plushie while looking ahead, not even sparing a glance at Yena.

The day spent with silence. Yena didn’t know how to approach Yuri. Yena’s parents didn’t know how to help their daughter in this problem. Yuri would still answer them politely but Yena literally was ignored by Yuri. It’s cute in a sense, seeing Yena and Yuri’s interaction that day. The innocent kids fight that was indirectly started by Yena by making Yuri worried. Yena’s parents were sincerely grateful that Yuri was there. They even thought of Yuri as their own daughter for being such a great friend for Yena.

In the end, Yena got ignored for days, three days to be exact and Yena couldn’t stand that silent treatment any longer. Yena tried to figure out a way for Yuri to forgive her. The sorry mantra had been uttered repeatedly during those days and Yena was tired with it as it didn’t give any result. Yena tried to hug Yuri but after she did that, she earned a glare that made her lose her courage and scared her to her spine. Yena didn’t dare to do that anymore after that. 

Yena was deep in thought on what to do. Yena placed both of her hands on top of her head as she started to grow frustrated for the lack of idea. After a moment of staring at the white sheets that’s covering her feet, suddenly an idea came to her mind. This might be a great idea and she just hoped Yuri would forgive her after that. To start her plan, she begged her parents for a strawberry cake. When her father went to get her one, she told her mom that she was going to the vending machine nearby. She wanted to buy the biscuits where there’s a chocolate sauce dip for those biscuits. She would custom made the cake with her written apology. Yena, you’re so brilliant for coming up with this idea.

When her father got the strawberry cake she wanted, she started to work on the cake. She did her best writing sorry on the cake with the chocolate sauce. Surprising enough, she didn’t ruin it . Then, she drew ‘><‘ on the upper half of the strawberry on the cake before she add ‘3’ on the bottom half, creating a pouty face with the strawberry. She could hear a chuckle coming from her father and she looked at him.

“Apparently you ask me to buy the cake for this.” The smile on her father’s face remained.

Yena gave a proud nod. She was satisfied with her creation, her token of apology for Yuri which she hoped the younger would accept after three days of ignoring her.

“Gonna go find Yuri, now. Mom and dad can go back to work now. I promise I won’t go anywhere other than Yuri’s place.” Yena told her parents after she learnt the panic she had caused a few days earlier which also led to Yuri’s silent treatment towards her. Right now, she really preferred Yuri scold her like how when she was being too playful or too loud when they were playing that sort of disturbing other patients.

“Okay. Don’t run around and just slowly walk there.” Yena heard her mom said and her mom saw Yena nodded as Yena carefully brought the cake towards Yuri, didn’t want anything to ruin the cake.

Yena carefully opened the door to Yuri father’s room. Yuri was alone as seemingly her mom had just gone back to work and Yuri was waiting for her grandparents to come, taking the turn to take care of her father. Yena walked closer to Yuri and Yuri definitely was aware of the intruder that got into the room.

Once Yena was in front of Yuri, she stretched her hands out to present the cake for Yuri. Yuri was going to refuse it until she saw the words written on the cake and the face that Yena drew on the strawberry made Yuri accidentally let out a chuckle. Yuri remained quiet after that and gave Yena a glare. There wasn’t any bite in the glare as Yena could see the slight playfulness in it. Yuri seemed to be less upset now and she would definitely take this chance to apologise before she lost this chance.

“Sorry.” Yena uttered, heart hammering from her nervousness. It’s still scary despite that she could see that Yuri started to forgive her.

Yuri slightly pouted then Yuri pursed her lips, clearly contemplating on what to say or do with what Yena had said.

“You told me to be happy to make the people around me happy and to ease their burden and worry. You just did the complete opposite.” Yuri voice was cold although Yuri’s eyes were no longer showed that she was upset. Meanwhile, Yena’s eyes showed hopefulness.

“I promise not to be reckless anymore and I’ll listen more to you and my parents.” Yena said.

“Unnie didn’t know how much everyone was worried about you when you pulled stunt like that, how I was worried about you. What if something happened to you? I don’t want unnie to fall asleep like dad.” Yuri rambled, tears could be seen started to form, finally letting out how she felt all this time. Yena got a better understanding on what causing Yuri to be upset with her and she felt extremely guilty about it.

“Once again, I’m sorry. Yuri-ah.” Yena whispered. 

Yena placed the cake on the table before she went to hug Yuri in her arms and luckily Yuri didn’t push her away. They stayed that way until Yuri calmed down and tilted her head up to look at Yena.

“But unnie, why did you escape?” Now, Yuri got curious. She never knew what the exact reason for Yena to do that.

“Correction. I didn’t escape. I went to buy something.” Yena defended herself from the accusation.

“What did unnie buy then?” Yuri changed her question now and Yena had a smile on her face, seemingly satisfied with it.

“Jelly. The strawberry one ran out of stock. That’s why I went out to buy it for you.” Yena told Yuri and now she could see a tiny bit of guilt forming in Yuri’s eyes from giving her cold shoulder these few days.

“Next time, you should listen to me before ignoring me for days. You can scold me and even pull my ears but never ever give a cold treatment, okay?” 

Yuri nodded and Yena offered her pinkie for Yuri to make their promise. Yuri hooked her pinkie with Yena’s and the two kids smiled at each other.

“But I prefer that there’s no next time.” 

“Okay then. I promise that there’s no next time.” Yena promised Yuri that she wouldn’t go out of the hospital, at least by herself. “And for you, no next time for cold treatment.”

“I’ll do my best.” Yuri teased Yena about it and Yena directly whined at it. “Let’s say if unnie being too naughty, I’ll still give unnie cold treatment.” 

Yena could only sigh while Yuri laughed at the older but anything was a lot better than the cold treatment she had experienced a few days before. For sure, she wouldn’t do anything that would cause Yuri to give such treatment towards her anymore. It turned into the reason on why Yena always discussed everything with Yuri and listened to the younger’s opinion. 

 

Yena’s mom looked at her daughter being so deep in thought and she just smiled. Yena was always different when it came to Yuri. The reckless and impatient Yena literally couldn’t be seen. She could see the wise Yena that she rarely saw. It’s as if only Yuri can bring this side of Yena out, the side that no one managed to bring out.

“Come to think of it, you changed ever since that day and the two of you stick much closer.” Her mom broke Yena’s reminiscing time.

“Really? I don’t feel so.” Yena tilted her head slightly as she tried to recall it and she saw her mom nodded to reaffirm what she had said.

“And you didn’t create trouble for us. Well, basically we know where you are without the need to look for you.” Her mom laughed a bit, knowing Yuri in a way made their job a lot easier.

“I thought you guys always know that I’m with Yuri?” Yena asked, confused.

“Yes, but occasionally you’ll drop by somewhere else like the vending machine near your room before or after coming back but ever since then, you would directly head to Yuri’s room or directly head back to your room. You’ll only stop by other places when you’re with Yuri.”

“How could mom know about that?” 

“The nurses told us. You’re pretty popular for always sneaking out of your room.” Her mom playfully teased Yena. 

“Those traitors.” Yena jokingly said.

“So, what are you going to do now?” Her mom asked as she could see the particular glint in Yena’s eyes after she asked that question. It’s the look when Yena had made something up in her mind. 

“Hopefully the trick 12 years ago still works.” Yena looked at her mom, lips slightly pursed in thin line. “And, I’m going to need your help, mom.”

 

***

 

Yuri secretly wished for Yena’s phone call. She had been staring at her phone for quite some time but she didn’t get any calls or even a single message coming from the older after she ignore Yena’s calls earlier. She knew that Yena texted Sakura because her member asked her about it on how to response to the older. She hoped for Yena to try a bit harder but she was being let down with what’s going on right now.

“You should just call her.” Chaeyeon started, placing a plate of cut fruits on the table for her members to snack on.

“You’ve been staring at your phone for quite some time, unnie.” Wonyoung pointed out.

“No, definitely not gonna call her.” Yuri stubbornly replied to all of them. Her pout seemed to have stayed after hearing the gossip. It would be gone only for a while but would reappear soon enough.

The members could only sigh at Yuri’s stubbornness but this time, they could see the childishness in it too. Chaeyeon found it really cute and the leader was holding back her smile for quite a while now.

The momentary silence was disturbed with a ring of bell of their apartment. Each of them exchanged a confused look, wondering who could ring their bell at this kind of time. For sure, it’s not a friend come visiting or their manager.

“Did any of you order something?” Chaeyeon asked when she saw a delivery guy from the monitor from the inside of their apartment.

“No. Why, unnie?” Wonyoung asked with a confused look. 

“Let’s ask first. It could be wrong address or something.” Sakura rationally told Chaeyeon. 

So, Chaeyeon asked through the coms of the monitor and found that the package was indeed for them. It was making all of them even more curious on who could be sending it to them. The leader opened the door with Sakura peeking from behind and took the package. From how the packaging and brand printed on the packaging box, they knew it was a cake. They were excited for it and then they saw a card stuck on top of the box. Opening the card, Chaeyeon read it for the group.

“Enjoy the cake. From: Mom.” 

Each of them looked at one another on whose mom could be sending it for them and everyone was just as clueless as the other. Curious, they carefully took the cake out and placed it on the coffee table in front of the couch they were sitting. At first, they just found it as a normal strawberry cake when Chaeyeon brought it out until the cake was properly placed on the table and they could properly look at the cake. There’s a pouty face drawn on the strawberry with chocolate sauce. Yuri especially was the first one to take notice of it because it’s her favourite cake and that Yena also did it once when they’re kids. Yuri let out a smile before she heard the chuckle coming from her members saying how it was so cute. 

Just then, Yuri phone rang and Yuri saw the caller id, the person whom she was waiting for. She could hear the teasing coming from around her. The moment, she saw the cake, she knew she would forgive Yena. Maybe it’s time to listen to Yena’s explanation. It’s the meaning behind the cake anyway. “Go ahead and eat it.” Yuri told her members softly, urging them to do so without her because she would definitely have a long talk with Yena.

“Just make sure to leave me a piece.” Yuri was honestly nervous in listening to what Yena had to say. 

Yuri got into her room and lay down on her bed, staring at the ceiling before she took a deep breath, gathering her courage, feeling the bracelet slightly brushing on her wrist upon her movement. Here we go. Yuri pressed on the green button before bringing it to her ear.

“Hello.”

“Yah… why didn’t you pick up? I’ve called for at least 10 times.” Yena directly rambled and also scolded Yuri, at the same time.

“Then, why didn’t unnie call again until I pick up? It’s only 10 times.” Yuri returned the words with the same intensity.

“Told you before not to give me cold treatment. You never listen to me.” Yuri could hear Yena groaned from frustration but Yuri couldn’t stop herself from smiling. It’s just her Yena unnie whining. 

“Who’s to blame for it then?” Yuri asked, wondering what Yena would answer.

Silence came for a short moment. Yuri believed Yena was thinking on what to answer to her, seemingly afraid on giving a wrong answer. 

“Us.” Yena told Yuri, so confident that Yuri could hear it through Yena’s voice.

“And I told you not to check the social media, didn’t I? Why do you break our promise to do so?” Yena continued her scolding again, seemingly back on track after answering Yuri’s question that caught her off guard.

“Will you not break the promise if you heard news like that about me?” Yuri retorted with the same fire. 

“But at least, I’ll let you tell me first about it. Seriously though, you never let me explain.” Yena sighed, the fire earlier was slightly died down. “Told you before that you could scold me as long as no cold treatment. I bet you’ve forgotten about it.”

“I don’t forget about it, okay?” Yuri quickly defended herself. Besides, Yuri couldn’t forget the moments that she had with Yena. She remembered all those moments very clearly and they were still very fresh in her mind. 

“Then, why?” Yena asked. 

Yuri could hear her heart beating so fast in her chest. All she could hear now was Yena’s breathing from the line and her own heartbeat. It’s a reason that she couldn’t say to the older. Silence fell between the two.

“Won’t tell you, unnie.” Yuri answered with a playful tone to hide the nervousness she felt earlier.

“Tell me… please...” Yena whined, trying to persuade Yuri and also to be playful with the younger. At least the mood wasn’t hostile like earlier.

“No.” Yuri laughed after that. She was thankful that Yena wasn’t right in front of her because the impact of what Yena did or said would definitely be much greater.

“Fine. You owe me.” Yena childishly argued. The whining was definitely evident.

“Explanation?” Yuri demanded but this time in a more curious tone than being upset.

“Still can’t believe you believe others than me.” Yena whined again and Yuri scoffed as the reaction to it.

“Are we going to continue, unnie? Or I could just turn this call off.” Yuri playfully threatened and she could hear the older sighed. The moment she heard that, she knew she had won.

“It’s Yiren coming to the hospital out of nowhere. I tried to avoid her as much as I could but still, the images made it look like there’s something when there’s nothing. Don’t ask me about Yuqi. Because I don’t know anything about it other than the part that she mentioned something about me during her filming. Hell, I don’t even know a thing about this gossip  if Yujin didn’t call me to tell me about this whole thing.” Yena summarised the whole story while still being honest about it by not hiding any important part from Yuri.

“I even wished you are the one with me in the hospital instead of Yiren. You didn’t know how awkward it was.” Yena said.

“Next time unnie should tell me before this gossip coming out.” 

“Yes, my Hamyul.” Yena stated, definitely listening to Yuri. 

“So, unnie. You’ve turned into my mom now?” Yuri teased, asking about the cake that the older sent to her.

“Kinda drag mom into it. Don’t want to create news with my name so, I ask mom to fake into yours.” Yena chuckled when she told Yuri about it. 

“Is the strawberry cute? I only ask mom to describe it through a phone call, so I don’t know how it turns out.”

“It’s really cute, unnie. But yours is always better.”  

“Haha. Don’t joke around. My work is horrible. I can’t believe I manage to trick you when we’re kids.” 

“I can’t believe I’m so gullible too.” 

“You always are, Yuri-ah. You always are. That’s why I’m always so worried about you.” Yena spoke her concern but what made her slightly at ease was knowing how high Yuri could put up her wall towards others. 

“You sound like my mom.” Yuri deadpanned, in a jokingly way and Yuri heard Yena’s laughter again. 

“Between us two, you’re definitely the mom and I’m the kid here.” Yena stated as a matter of fact. 

“Whatever you say, unnie.” 

“You are sulking again?” A tone of disbelief was in Yena’s voice.

“Tell me again, how do I deal with you all this time? I need some reminder for it.” Jokingly Yena said and even without looking, Yena knew Yuri had a small smile painted on her lips.

“And tell me too, how do I deal with you all this time, unnie?” Yuri threw it back at Yena. 

Then, the two stayed quiet for a short while and the two of them smiled even without seeing the other’s face. The talk continued, this time in a more serious tone of how Yena properly explained everything, basically told her whole day visit on the hospital for Yuri and how her examinations going on too. The short version earlier wouldn’t do justice for the both of them. Among all the people Yena knew, the only person she never wanted to hide anything from was only Yuri, so Yena told everything in detail, reminding Yuri on how Yena was a really good storyteller. Yuri was happy that she got to hear Yena’s perspective and she understood the older better. She was at fault in this, for letting her jealousy got in the way and she did apologise to Yena at some point which made the older apologise too for creating such gossip even when Yena didn’t want it to happen.

This incident made Yuri had a better understanding of Yena. No matter what she would just trust the older and wouldn’t let her jealousy towards others come in the way. Yuri did remind Yena not to hide anything from her anymore, unless the older wanted Yuri to ignore her again, which definitely Yena agreed on, way too fast.

It’s always heartwarming their talk. To others, sometimes it might seem like they’re bickering or even arguing but it’s just their way in communicating. They didn’t need to fake anything and just speak what they felt out loud. To Yena, Yuri would always be her sense of control and to Yuri, Yena would always be her source of fun, confidence and optimism.