Impromptu Flutters

Promise

Rose was having a recording for their performance that day, a second week to their comeback. Right now, the members were just waiting for the result of the day because it’s others turn to do the recording as they had finished it. So, some were talking in the waiting room, some were playing games with their phone, and Yuri was mostly just busy listening or humming to some songs, although lately it was mixed in with texting with Yena. Yuri decided to go and buy something to drink while they waited. There she was walking out of the waiting room and headed to the vending machine. At the same time trying to get a walk to clear her head, feeling slightly down from the mistake earlier and her members had been assuring her that it was fine. One would make a mistake from time to time. 

Yuri could sense some idols’ gaze on her but she just shook it off. Sometimes, people do catch a gaze on certain someone when that person walked on their line of sight. Yuri didn’t put her mind to it and continued making her way. Yuri stood in front of the vending machine and looked around to pick on the drink but then she started to hear murmurs coming from around her. 

“She must be thinking that she’s a hero when everyone cursed and blamed her.”

“I bet that she didn’t even see what others had been saying about her”

“The fans hates her for hurting Yena.”

“It must just be a way for her to get Yena’s attention.”

Yuri heard all those words as she stood there, trying to ignore it but it was so hard. She now realised that the gaze earlier were indeed them looking at her and hated all the attention that was given to her. She wanted to hide. She wanted to run. However, she was stuck in listening to them giving their opinion on her, this time directly to her face. It’s like those words were kept in until they saw her to tell it to her face. She probably shouldn’t let it get the best of her but how could she not. People’s opinion and judgement always affected her so much and that was why she wanted to always do her best. Her hand trailed to the bracelet and she gripped her wrist tightly, drawing strength from it.

“She’s nothing.”

“She must be using Yena for popularity.”

“You could see how much she loved the attention.”

“Did you hear her voice crack earlier?”

Yuri heard the murmur from the girls and some boys around too. She could do her best not to let other accusations bother her but what get her the most would be people picking on her mistakes. She did her best not to cry and to stand tall. She did turn to walk back to their waiting room. She started to pace up her walk, wanting to quickly go to the safety and got into the waiting room. The moment she got in, she directly picked the spot on the corner and hugged herself. She tried to calm herself down and to push all the negative thoughts away and also those murmurs and whispers coming around her when she tried to buy a can of tea to drink earlier. She knew she should call Yena about it but she also didn’t want to worry the older about it, knowing Yena still needed to recover. Besides, she could guess what Yena would do if she called the older about it and she didn’t want Yena to be too rash which could end up hindering the progress of recovery or worse, creating a new problem, knowing Yena would definitely confront those people. So, she would just try her best to deal with this herself, like how she used to when the older wasn’t around her, hiding it from everyone.

The members indeed notice the change in Yuri as Yuri was being quiet for the rest of the day after the main vocal went out earlier. It worried the members and they didn’t know what to do with it nor what happened to Yuri. When they gathered around to talk, Yuri didn’t even pay attention to them and it made the members got worried even more. So, they suggested ideas on what to do. They knew Hyewon had been trying to talk to Yuri for hours which got ignored and worse, Yuri drew that line for her members again. Something must have troubled Yuri and the fact that Yuri didn’t even cry, meant that it’s a serious problem. 

In the past, when things got too hard on Yuri, Yuri would hug herself and cried while holding onto the bracelet and the members would hug on the balled up figure. That’s better because they knew how to console the younger but when Yuri drew herself in and made a line for everyone like how it was  this time, they didn’t know what to do.

“We should call Yena. Yuri is getting worrisome.” Chaeyeon told the members.

“I hate it whenever we couldn’t do anything when Yuri is like this.” Hyewon groaned, getting really frustrated over this because of the helplessness.

“Something must have made her like this. I hope not some hate comments that Yuri accidentally saw while scrolling through the social media.” Hitomi spoke in concern, knowing their main vocal was really sensitive regarding this because Yuri always did her best to make the performance perfect for the fans and the audience watching. Yuri also avoided whatever could be source of gossip and the reason why Yuri had that clean image to her.

“Let’s just call Yena.” Hyewon hated to say that but it’s for Yuri and she was willing to do anything just so that Yuri could come back to her cheerful self.

Chaeyeon nodded and pulled her phone out to make a call to Violet’s main rapper which somehow got ignored. The five of them shared a look, asking each other silently on what to do next. 

“Let’s try again.” Chaeyeon said. “If no one picks it up, I’ll call Eunbi unnie.”

 

***

 

The progress to Yena’s recovery went extremely well. She didn’t need to wear the arm sling anymore and she could move her arm now. Although she wasn’t allowed to do heavy activity with it yet. The news was hidden from public as per Yena’s request. She would go back to the public eyes after she fully recovered. Since that incident in the hospital, she tried to keep her physical examination and physiotherapy as silent as possible. She made sure no one saw her because she didn’t need anymore gossip spread out.

Even so, a lot of job offers were waiting for Yena. During her recovery, she heard of job coming one after the other from her manager which she gladly took as long as it’s not conflicted with one another. She wouldn’t disappoint those who had put trust on her and waited for her. 

Her recuperating days had turned less boring with the arm sling finally off and she could use her right hand. She would spend her time gaming or watching movies while waiting for Yuri’s call or replies to her messages. 

Today, she spent her day with Yujin. The youngest was the one with no schedules for the day. Yujin went working on some modelling kit while Yena was playing Playstation5 in the living room. 

“Unnie…” Yujin called from her side, sitting on the floor while fiddling with the parts of the kit she was building.

“What?” Yena asked while smashing on the buttons of the controller.

“When are you going to introduce Yuri unnie to us?” Yujin asked, eyes focused on the kit instead of Yena.

“All of you have known each other. So, why do I need to introduce you to her all over again?” Yena paused her game and looked at the puppy.

“We never know your Yuri, if you understand what I mean.” Yujin placed her parts she was working on down. 

“Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.” Yena’s face showed how clueless she was and Yujin knew that high chance that Yena didn’t understand her question.

“You’re so slow at times, unnie.” Yujin frustratingly complained. 

“Simply put it, we haven’t know about your girlfriend.”

Yena directly blushed at the words and felt jittery and nervous. Just the whole idea made her heart beat so fast in her chest as if it’s going to burst at any second.

“S-she’s not my girlfriend.” Yena slightly stuttered while trying to calm herself down.

“Why are you being all nervous, unnie? All of us know how you feel for Yuri even before we found out that Yuri is the Yuri you mentioned all the time.” Yujin shrugged as she pointed out the fact to Yena.

“All of us also know that you want Yuri unnie as your girlfriend. You two aren’t exactly discreet with your heart eyes whenever you two are together.” Yujin added.

“Even our manager see it and she asked us a few times if the two of you are dating and we told her that you’re not. You really are not right?” Yujin quickly asked.

“Of course, we’re not. Besides, I don’t know if Yuri feels the same. She could be seeing me as only her sister.” Yena muttered softly with a sigh.

“You’re hopeless, unnie.”

“I know. Yuri is so perfect, you know. A lot of people like her despite of them never really showing it to Yuri and just staring at her secretly.”

“What I mean, unnie… Yuri unnie is just as obvious as you. If she doesn’t feel the same like you do, they need to change the term of obvious in the dictionary. You two are disgustingly sweet when together. You beat all the dating couple out there.” Yujin groaned a bit in frustration. “And how come unnie is so sharp on potential love rival when you’re so blind when it comes to how Yuri feels for you and those not-so-secret-admirers of yours?” 

Yena just shrugged a bit, not knowing why too but what Yujin said made her think on how she couldn’t see what others see. Was Yuri that obvious? She wasn’t sure at all. She felt that Yuri only looked at her as her sister all this time. Yujin’s words made her hopeful though and she could feel that familiar heartbeat for Yuri once more, making her fell all warm and it was hard to stop the smile that was threatening to come upon her face.

Yena got up from her seat and went to the kitchen for a while to get something to snack on because it’s pretty boring to just talk. It would be nicer to make a better set up for her and Yujin. 

“What are you doing, unnie? Need my help? You are still not allowed to do heavy stuff, remember?” Yujin said, turning to look at Yena, just in case the older didn’t do as advised by the doctor.

“Nothing heavy. Just looking for something to drink and snack on for the two of us.” Yena told Yujin whom had come to join her in the kitchen, standing in front of the opened fridge as they stared on what they could drink or eat.

Then, a sound of phone ringing could be heard in the room and she saw Yujin staring at her with that playful teasing look. She rolled her eyes playfully in response and urged Yujin to take her phone that she left on the couch earlier. So, Yujin walked towards the couch but before she could pick it up, the call ended. Yujin took the phone and walked back to the kitchen to hand it to Yena. 

“Is it Yuri unnie?” Yujin sounded excited, somehow more excited than herself as she stood there watching Yena checking on her phone.

Yena looked at the phone and small crease of eyebrows appeared on her face, seeing the id wasn’t the person she was waiting for but instead from the leader of the person she was waiting for. Her gut feeling somehow told her that it wasn’t a good news at all. 

“What’s wrong, unnie?” Yujin asked after learning the expression from Yena.

“Don’t know too. I wonder why Chaeyeon call me.” Yena tried to shake off the uneasiness she felt and remained positive.

“It must be important. Why don’t you call her back?” Yujin urged Yena as she locked gaze with Yena, getting curious too.

Just then the phone rang once more, even before Yena pressed the dial button, Chaeyeon had called her again. So, Yena didn’t stop herself from picking up the call and putting it on speaker. Yujin stood on her side, listening in to the talk that was going to happen.

“Yena, can you call Yuri and cheer her up? She’s way too quiet and we’re worrying about her”

Yena shared a look with Yujin for a second before she replied. Now, she definitely got worried about Yuri, wondering what had happened to the younger.

“What’s wrong? Is she in bad mood? She is closing herself down again, isn’t she?” Yena put a guess on Yuri’s habit whenever the younger wasn’t in the mood of talking but she knew there must be a reason behind it which needed to be unveiled.

“Her voice slightly cracked during recording, with the music around it’s barely heard but we definitely heard it through our in-ear. I think that’s what causing her to be quiet.” Hearing that from Chaeyeon, Yena could already guess that Yuri must be beating herself over it and let the doubts get the best of her.

“I’ll try to. If you guys could, also try to approach her and cheer her up.” Yena suggested.

“She has been ignoring us for the past few hours and we also learn from the past experience to leave her be until she calms down.” Chaeyeon explained.

“Could you hand this call to her?” Yena said but after a moment of silence and listening to Chaeyeon trying to talk to Yuri, she got her answer.

“She didn’t want to.” 

Yena could just sigh upon her answer. She wouldn’t ask Chaeyeon to force Yuri if the younger didn’t want to talk right now.

“Okay then. Just tell her that I’ll call until she picked up.” Yena said, wanting to cheer the younger up even if she couldn’t go there for the younger. She also hoped that the bracelet that she gave Yuri could help calming Yuri down from whatever that troubled the younger.

So, the call with Chaeyeon ended and Yena wasted no time after that to dial Yuri’s number. As expected, she got ignored but she didn’t give up and continued calling Yuri. This time, she wouldn’t stop until the younger picked up her call. 

“Unnie, I think I have an idea.” Yujin said from Yena’s side after seeing that the calls weren’t being picked up by Yuri.

“When you say something like that, I feel like both of us will get into trouble.” Yena told Yujin but she couldn’t deny that she was curious on what the younger had in mind.

“Today, Minju unnie is MC-ing for Music Core and most of the groups promoting would be there.”

“So?” Still confused, Yena asked Yujin to elaborate further while Yujin already pouted from how slow Yena could be.

“Rose is promoting right now and we could use this chance to go and say that we’re visiting Minju and you take your chance to visit Rose or Yuri at the same time.” Yujin looked at Yena expectantly, watching the gears in Yena’s head slowly working to understand what she had just said.

Yena stood still, hand repeatedly pressing the dial button, hoping for Yuri to pick up while she listened to Yujin’s idea that actually sounded really good to her. She was tempted to go with Yujin’s plan right now as it sounded like a really good one.

“It actually is a good idea.” Yena said but she was still a bit unsure because she was still hiding herself from everyone right now.

“But I think we should discuss this with others and I’m still hiding from others.” Yena told Yujin. Just in case, Yujin forgot about it.

“I think they would be okay with it. The most important one is for Minju unnie to know about it.” Yujin said. “And it’s also time for you to go out. With me around, I won’t let those parasites to get close to you.”

Yena laughed at the nickname Yujin gave to those admirers of hers, slightly shaking her head. She knew that Yujin didn’t like those people, her members too, because they thought that they were bad influence on her, not to mention using her for fame at the cost of her name and reputation.

“Let’s tell Eunbi unnie about this. If she said no, then we’ll stay at home. Okay?” Yena told Yujin. 

Yujin nodded and went to text Eunbi about it because Yena was still calling Yuri whom still didn’t pick the older’s call. The change in Yena on how the older became more careful and thoughtful sort of making Yujin respected the older even more. This was more like the Yena she knew when they were on their trainee days. 

“It seems that Yuri really won’t pick up my call at all.” Yena sighed, pulling a chair to sit on. Still, Yena didn’t give up and pressed Yuri’s number once more to call the younger.

“Eunbi unnie said it’s okay as long as we don’t create trouble and if Minju unnie is okay with it.” Yujin muttered from her side. Eyes glued to her phone still as Yujin typed furiously on her phone, already going to the next task which was texting Minju.

In the end, Yena stopped calling Yuri and resorting to texting Yuri. She should have known that Yuri would definitely ignore her from how the younger wouldn’t pick up her call. Tired of texting, Yena went to call Yuri again. Of course, Yena got ignored for she didn’t know how many times since she got that news from Chaeyeon. 

“Let’s go, unnie.” Yujin excitedly said, looking at Yena who’s still sitting down. “Minju unnie allows us to come visit her as the cover up for you to go check on Yuri unnie.”

Wasting no time, she got up from her seat and went to their respective bedroom to change into something that’s more decent and also to fix themselves up. The two just wore something casual when they got out of their bedroom and Yujin could see Yena already had her car key in hand. Getting out of their apartment, they headed to the broadcasting company, just so that Yena could talk with Yuri. When it came to Yuri, Yena definitely would do anything just to bring a smile to the younger’s face.

 

***

 

The presence of Yena and Yujin directly brought every single pair of eyes in the location to turn and look at them, especially Yena. Yujin silently scoffed at the ‘predatory eyes’ of those who had a crush on Yena. Yena looked at Yujin when she heard that soft scoff. Yujin just shrugged at Yena and Yena shook her head, knowing why Yujin was like that because she did see those look from those not-so-secret-admirers of hers. It looked like all of them were ready to swarm her. Sadly, her purpose to come there today wasn’t for any of them but just for one particular person who had stolen her heart from they were kids.

Yena just gave a smile towards the staffs around and greeted a simple ‘hi' before she just smiled and nodded at other idols. She could see the curiosity in their eyes, wondering why she’s there. She then looked at the tag on each room she passed by to look for Rose’s waiting room. 

Finally, Yena found the room and she opened the door to peek into the room. The people in the room showed how surprised they were with her presence. She directly locked gaze with surprised Chaeyeon whom still didn’t expect her to actually come there and when Chaeyeon finally recovered from her daze, Chaeyeon quickly nudged her head towards Yuri’s direction. She opened the door slightly further to find Yuri hugging herself in one corner, head rested on her knees while staring at the floor with an extremely obvious pout and that crease of eyebrows only informed Yena how upset Yuri actually was. Yena could also see the members felt bad for not being able to help and Hyewon stayed on the same couch with Yuri but still giving a space to the younger. Yena took a deep breath to mentally prepare herself, thinking on what she should say or do. 

Yena turned to look at Yujin and those who had crush on her definitely eyeing her movement, wanting to get some scoop on what’s happening. Yena knew if she went with it, her admirers eventually would manage to connect everything, even if she and Yuri weren’t dating, they would think that she and Yuri did. In the end, wouldn’t it be just like her dragging Yuri into her mess? When she was on that doubtful moment and she could see Yujin waited for her decision too, she remembered of the talk between she and Yuri had that there’s no more holding back in their friendship. They would be there for each other now. That gave Yena the courage to make her step in which followed by Yujin.

The room was silent at her entrance, a really deafening one. It’s like if one breaking it would cause a disastrous thing to happen. Only Yena’s footsteps could be heard as Violet’s main rapper made her way towards the huddled up figure on the further end of the couch that’s located on the corner of the room. Meanwhile, Yujin who trailed behind Yena never faced with such chill that made her not dare to utter a single word. Sparing a glance at Hyewon as Yena got closer, surprisingly this time Hyewon only gave her a look of concern and shook her head as if telling Yena that whatever she did wasn’t working. Everyone was watching her every movement and honestly it made Yena nervous. She didn’t expect it to be a show or anything when she came there. She didn’t even know if she could make Yuri feel better or not. 

Breaking the line that Yuri had set for her members, Yena knew Yuri most probably sensed someone’s presence from her peripheral glance and the crease on the younger’s eyebrows deepened, to show her protest of not liking the presence of the intruder. Yena definitely ignored that as she herself copying the crease of eyebrows that Yuri had. She walked even closer to Yuri and Yena felt that everyone was too scared in making a sound, even loud Yujin and Chaeyeon were extremely quiet at that time. Yena knew it’s just her imagination but she could sense that everyone was holding in their breath. She even wondered why they were scared of this tiny Yuri. Well.. although in certain cases, Yuri was indeed scary but this type of Yuri, never scared her at all. If there’s anything, it made her wanted to hug the younger.

Stopping in front of Yuri whom still didn’t look at her but her shoes, Yena could just sigh before she squatted down to put herself on the same eye level as Yuri. At first she could see the surprise in Yuri’s face before it went back to its previous state.

“Yah… why don’t you pick up my call?” Yena scolded Yuri to everyone’s surprise and definitely Yuri’s lower lip jutted out even more and the younger puffed up her cheeks.

“I told you not to ignore my call, right? Do you know how much you make everyone worry?” Yena continued. The view was like a replay of their moments in the past, except in the past, Yena was the one getting scolded by Yuri. “You got to talk and share it with someone when you feel that it’s too much for yourself to handle.” 

Yena knew she wouldn’t get any answer when she did that. Yena said that for only one purpose, to let Yuri know how others actually worried about her. Yena then poked Yuri’s cheek. Once. Twice. And still no response. Today, Yuri was definitely being difficult. So, Yena stood up. To others, it looked like Yena was giving up on Yuri but no. Yena would never give up on Yuri, even if it took hours, days to persuade the younger, she would do it. It’s a moment of disbelief to others, thinking that Yena couldn’t bring Yuri’s mood up. 

“Wait a moment… I gotta visit Minju first before coming back here.” Yena told Yuri while gently patted Yuri’s head. She needed to walk away for a while because she shouldn’t stay too long there when they should act up to visit Minju for this whole facade. “Because when you’re like this, it wouldn’t take a while.” 

“Let’s go, Yujin.” Yena said but then she felt Yuri pinching the sleeve of her white hoodie, weak but was there to stop her. 

“I promise that I’ll be back. My scolding hasn’t finished yet.” The playfulness could be heard in every single word that Yena had said and Yuri pouted even more, looked a lot sadder than previously. If there’s anything for Yena to put a resemblance on how Yuri looked right now, it would be like an abandoned puppy which made Yena even more reluctant to leave the younger.

Yena took hold of Yuri’s hand that was holding onto her sleeve earlier and ran her thumb on the knuckles a few times before she let go of it with a gentle squeeze, trying to give Yuri a bit of her strength, erasing the insecurities the younger was feeling. Yena gave a nod to Chaeyeon and the rest of Rose’s members before she walked with Yujin towards the door. 

“Be back later, I promise.” She told Yuri and at the same time, the rest of Rose’s members as she spoke that loud enough for everyone to hear despite it was directed to Yuri, before making their way out with Yujin who waved excitedly to Rose members whom was still too tense and awkward, hoping her to stay a bit longer while Yujin preferred to be in somewhere else too from how heavy the mood was.

So, the two quickly went to look for Minju, to continue their act and to sort of cover up their visit slightly. Yena only did that because she still didn’t want Yuri to get dragged into whatever gossips that could come up just with her presence. She learnt it pretty well now. If she could lessen the possibility of it, she definitely would do so. 

Looking at Yujin, they talked as they made their way towards Minju’s room. They discussed on what food they should get together after this and Yujin definitely tricked Yena into treating her because according to Yujin, she had given Yena a brilliant idea. Minju definitely wouldn’t waste time in calling dibs in it for allowing them to come when the MC heard about this. So, Yena could already foresee herself getting stuck in treating Yujin and Minju because the two had helped her with this whole thing. Once again, it seemed that she needed to say goodbye to her wallet because knowing Yujin and Minju, they would definitely ask for expensive meat for the treat. 

 

***

 

Coming back after talking with Minju, Yena and Yujin went to get some drinks before heading to Rose’s waiting room. They got coffee for everyone. Yena sensed the stares coming from around her, it might just be her and she really hoped that she was wrong. She got into the waiting room only to be greeted with heavy silence. Anyone that came into the room could sense how awkward the air was. 

Yena placed the drinks that she carried to the table. She made sure she got enough for the managers and staffs in the room, like Rose’s stylists too. Then, she went back to the source of the awkwardness in the room. Once again, all eyes were on her. 

Walking towards the huddled up figure before stopping in front of the younger, Yena directly hugged Yuri, wrapping her arms the younger’s head as she stood there silently and she felt Yuri’s arms sliding up to her waist before hugging her. Time to give Yuri some strength, like how the younger always did for her, taking all the pain and insecurities Yuri felt. Yuri must be sad and beating herself up right now for making that mistake as someone whom was so serious about her vocal, being the person in charge of it especially in the group. If only Yena knew the other thing that caused Yuri to be this way, she definitely wouldn’t be as calm as this since Yuri didn’t mention about what others were saying about her earlier to anyone, knowing it would only create a bigger problem. 

Yena and Yuri tuned the world off. It’s just the two of them and no one else. The two closed their eyes and just listened to their own heartbeat. Warmth slowly engulfed the two, either from one another’s body heat or from their heart. For sure, it brought calmness and safety for them. Like how Yena was there to made sure Yuri felt safe from judgement whether it’s coming from Yuri herself or from others.

Yena only opened her eyes when she felt a tug on her hoodie, right on her back where Yuri clutching on it. She looked on top of Yuri’s head and after a moment, Yuri tilted her head up to look at her. Then, she felt the tug again. Yena raised one of her eyebrows in question, wondering what Yuri meant by it. Seeing Yena’s confusion, Yuri pouted. Yena wanted to ask Yuri about it but she felt that Yuri wouldn’t answer her at all. Gloomy Yuri always meant a quiet Yuri, sometimes could be extremely quiet that one couldn’t bring any words out of Yuri, and today was one of those times. Yuri was always difficult to deal with at that kind of time. If she didn’t understand the younger, the younger would sulk even more but if she asked Yuri about it, Yuri wouldn’t say a thing. 

“You’re being difficult again.” Yena poked Yuri’s cheek again, trying to bring a smile to Yuri’s face but only for Yuri to pout more. To others it might be crazy for Yena to say something like that, but Yena was only stating the obvious, always honest towards Yuri. Yena never tried to keep what came to her mind when she talked to Yuri. That’s just how it was when she’s around Yuri. She could be herself without thinking much on what she said or do.

Yena then felt another tug on her shirt. Yena tried to think on what it meant. The pressure as the person who understood Yuri, directly could be felt by Yena. She literally could feel the gaze coming from everyone in the room. Yena pondered a little while longer while Yuri’s pout was getting even more visible. Not knowing exactly what it was, Yena just gave up. She decided to just slide herself down and knelt in front of Yuri because she felt tired standing. Yuri gave a small smile then and Yena felt that she had done the right thing although she was really clueless and just went with the flow. Easily, Yuri hugged her neck and buried her face on it, claiming the younger’s favourite spot whenever they cuddled. Yuri let Yena’s warmth and comforting scent spread into her. Yena could feel Yuri’s warmth breath against her neck but at least she knew the younger felt better now, comparing to how she first came in. 

“Still don’t want to speak?” Yena got no answer from Yuri except for a nod. So, Yena could only sigh about it and if she took the positive of it, at least Yuri gave a response to her. 

Yena stayed still for as long as needed. However, Yena wasn’t really the type that stayed still and quiet. So, she started talking again.

“Just don’t fall asleep on me.” Yena joked in a way teasing the younger.

Yena felt a gentle poke on her ribs and she laughed heartily while patting the back of Yuri’s head tenderly. Little did Yena know, Yuri was feeling much better by now and even smiling on what Yena had said. Besides, with Yena’s laughter, it’s impossible for her to not at least smile because of it. She just didn’t want to show it to others just yet. She would just let Yena’s presence to erase all of the negativity away. Yena was always like this radiant light that pushed away all of the darkness for her. 

So, the two stayed like that in silence although Yena would still occasionally poke the younger, since she decided not to talk, she should spend her energy somewhere else and Yuri would return that by gently slapped Yena’s hand away. That familiar warmth enveloped the two, literally basking in how nice it felt.

Everyone only shared knowing look towards the two. Chaeyeon felt her decision in contacting Yena was indeed a correct one. The mood wasn’t as heavy as how it was earlier. Sipping on the coffee, she looked at Yena and Yuri for a while before taking her phone and went to check on her tag, checking on her fans. Now, the people in the room went back to their own activity and ignoring the two childhood best friend. They trusted Yena in bringing back the mood of the main singer. 

“The new one doesn’t work, it seems.” Yena muttered in a whisper for only Yuri to hear but then she felt Yuri shaking her head. Yuri definitely understood what Yena meant by that.

“It always needs a while, but with unnie around, I feel much better a bit faster.” Yuri whispered back, feeling so comfortable hugging Yena. She always felt safe and warm in Yena’s embrace, like whatever bad things happened didn’t matter to her.

Yena nodded, glad that the new bracelet worked and that she brought comfort for the younger. Despite the slightly uncomfortable position from kneeling, it didn’t bother her as she stayed as still as she possibly could for Yuri.

After Yuri felt better, Yuri pulled away from Yena, smiling sheepishly this time. It’s like the bad mood earlier didn’t happen. Yena gave a playful glare, eyes slightly squinted. The playfulness between the two started to emerge once more.

“I can scold you now right?” Yena told Yuri.

“Who said so?” The bratty side of Yuri came out and Yena knew that the younger was in a good mood already.

“I said so. Especially when you ignored my calls.” Yena stood up and stretched, feeling her body a bit stiff from kneeling for quite some time.

“Then, you made me worried and I ended up coming here. After I’m here, I treat all of you coffee too.” Yena continued and after that taking a seat on the couch, right next to Yuri.

“I don’t ask unnie to come here and definitely not asking for the coffee.” Yuri stuck her tongue out at Yena, teasing the older.

“Wow… you’re really something. Then, pay for my hug.” 

“Since when people need to pay for a hug?”

“Starting from now on.” Yena argued.

The two glared at one another. no one wanted to lose from the other. The childish bickering was the one breaking the comfortable silence in the room. Everyone’s attention was back on them and yet it didn’t bother the two as they travelled back to their memory lane, the view that wasn’t exactly rare to the parents of the two or the nurses around them back then. 

“But unnie got a hug from me too, so it could be counted as I’ve paid unnie back.” Yuri shrugged, proud with her reasoning. Yuri’s smug smile started to form on her face. 

“It really is a waste for me to worry about you..” Yena dramatically slumped her back against the backrest and sighed. 

“Unnie, you should go join some comedy league.” Yuri joked, already hugging the older by the waist and rested her chin on Yena’s collarbone, knowing Yena wasn’t exactly upset about it but what Yuri didn’t know was how their proximity brought a flip to Yena’s heart, creating a kickstart for the normal heartbeat to start racing.

“If I did, I’ll drag you to join it with me.” Yena stuck her tongue out at the younger, trying not to sound or look nervous and patted the top of Yuri’s head gently, always found the younger adorable in her eyes. 

“I’ll just ask manager unnie to reject the offer.” Yuri stated, beaming from how great her mood was right now. 

Yena straightened herself up soon enough because if she stayed in that kind of position with Yuri a lot longer, she definitely would blush and turned nervous. Yuri’s beauty was lethal for her. Who would have thought Yuri would grow up into such beauty and made Yena fall for her even more? Yena went to take the cup of coffee for Yuri and herself before weirded out slightly with the look given by everyone. Yena had a sip of her cold coffee to calm her racing heart and the warm feeling that grew inside of her. If only Yuri knew what she had done to her heart.

“What?!” Yena asked all of them, definitely confused with their look while shifting her hand to her side, handing Yuri the cup of coffee she bought for all of them earlier. Yena was praying none of them caught how nervous she was. 

“Nothing.” Chaeyeon quickly retorted, still trying to get used to this whole new Yuri and the two’s dynamic and she believed everyone in the room was pretty much doing the same. One thing for sure that Chaeyeon knew from how perceptive she was, was that the two felt the same. It’s just that one was always so clueless while the other was always doubtful.

Yena just shrugged, pretty much calmer compared to before. She wouldn’t let it bother her too much and would just focus back on Yuri, but before she could continue, Rose were called to the stage to get ready for winner announcement and everyone was rushing up from their seat.

“Good luck.” Yena said as she got up with all of them while holding her cup of coffee.

“Let’s go to Minju’s waiting room.” Yena told Yujin and Yujin nodded.

Yena and Yujin followed Rose out, walking with the group until they needed to head for different direction. Yena and Yuri talked casually and Yujin would chime in whenever she could, clearly happy to get to know Yuri further. Yujin found that Yuri was so easy to talk to or maybe that’s because Yena was around to form the bridge. Yujin wasn’t quite sure but she didn’t expect it to be this easy. 

When it’s time to go for separate ways, Yena and Yujin wished the luck once more before heading to the opposite direction towards Minju’s waiting room and watched the announcement from the TV in the room instead of from the backstage. Rose swept the trophy again that day. Yena ended up treating Minju, Yujin, Yuri and Chaeyeon on the most expensive barbecue restaurant. Why Yuri and Chaeyeon joined in? Main reason because Yena and Yuri wanted to spend more time together while the rest of Rose’s members couldn’t join in because of conflicting schedule. The day ended in a good tone, talking and laughing together. The mistake earlier was never brought up by anyone and everything also was already forgotten by Yuri. 

The outing was caught by the fans but fans mostly were happy seeing how close and happy they were. They made the trend but nothing bad. Surprisingly no dating rumours or the sort coming from that interaction. The only things circulating that night in the social medias were how everyone was happy getting interaction from Rose and Violet and the pictures related to it.

 

***

 

Yena soon back to her feet, going to her first job that wasn’t hard at all or need much physical strength. Her first job after a moment of hiatus to recover was as a radio dj and when she was asked whom she wanted to invite as the first guest, she said Violet but because they weren’t promoting at the moment they asked Yena to pick another group and she didn’t take long to mention Rose. The staff took note of it after their first meeting although the staff did ask her to pick a few more, just in case they didn’t manage to invite Rose but she didn’t pick any other groups. Yena had a huge feelings that Rose would accept her invite, knowing Rose’s schedule was pretty much free during the first broadcast because of her daily talk with Yuri. For the rest of the guests, she didn’t bother much with it and could be planned by the staff. Without Yena’s knowing, there’s a surprise in stock for her regarding this. 

On the day of Yena’s first radio broadcast, Yena walked into the studio and found Yuri in it. Yena didn’t find it suspicious, thinking that Yuri was only early and the others would come joining soon. It wasn’t really a weird view at all. One could come earlier or later than others in the group, depends on one schedule. She knew that well.

“Unnie, you’re late.” Yuri joked around, pretty at ease around Yena. If Yuri was alone with others, it would probably be really quiet and awkward.

“Am I? I guess you’re just early.” Yena retorted, taking a seat and then looking at the papers filled with the instruction on how the show should go, just the basic guideline.

Yena didn’t realise at first that Yuri was sitting right next to her and reading on the same thing until Yena felt suspicious of it. 

“You…” Yena wanted to ask but stopped. She herself didn’t know why too. It’s just that kind of moment of uncertainty and doubt. 

Yuri expectantly looked at her, eyes mischievous, curious what Yena had in mind, also wondering if Yena had caught on her role. Yena shook her head, clearly taking back the question that she wanted to ask, believing that Yuri was just in extremely good mood today. Still, Yena felt curious and it made Yena lean herself closer to Yuri, bringing a heart racing moment to the younger as Yuri turned still on her seat, didn’t dare to move or breathe. Peeking on the papers on Yuri’s hold, that’s when Yena realised what was going on and that her gut feeling earlier was right. 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’ll be my partner?” A pout directly came to Yena’s lips as she whined and talked like a baby as Yuri didn’t even bother to tell her during their daily talk from texts or calls.

“It’s a surprise, unnie.” Yuri replied, smiling softly as she watched Yena being a baby. 

“I can’t believe you don’t even bother to tell me.” Yena sulked and Yuri directly gave Yena a hug to coax the older. Yuri didn’t know that the hug caused Yena’s heart to race, fluttering in her chest. 

“I’m sorry then.” Yuri also talked like a baby, copying Yena before the two laughed in each other’s hold as they tried to calm their racing heart by not thinking too much of the hug. After a moment the two pulled away, happiness etched in the two’s face. 

“So, should we rehearse?” Yuri asked after they calmed down, turning serious

“Should we?” Yena turned serious again, catching the vibe from Yuri. “Or we could just go and wing it.” Yena shrugged. She wasn’t as serious as she usually would be. It’s because she trust in their chemistry, in their friendship. 

“We still should practice it.” Yuri insisted and Yena agreed without a second thoughts. 

Yena would always listen to Yuri and she was still wrapping her head on the fact that Yuri would join her as her partner for the show every single week. She couldn’t be happier than this. It’s definitely a huge coming back present for her. She made a few run on the script although they knew they would improvise too later on. At least, the run on the script gave reassurance and confidence for the two. Those who casted them for the radio dj felt proud and happy that they didn’t pick the wrong people for it as Yena and Yuri showed a great chemistry together and they believed the show would go on smoothly. 

The first guest for the show was indeed Rose. Everyone was so loud and definitely had fun. It’s like they were indeed in their nature. They answered lots of fans questions too and the most serious one would be regarding Yena and Yuri’s accident which the two explained it clearly to the fans just so that there’s no hate being thrown around anymore, ending whatever theories or rumours circulating around it. Overall, it ended in a good note for all of them and definitely a successful first day.

Parting ways together, Yena chatted with Rose. Hyewon as usual was quiet and cold towards her. She didn’t mind that. It’s the nature of the two, being love rivals. Although, Yena couldn’t exactly categorised Hyewon as her rival since Hyewon never made any move on Yuri and simply stayed next to Yuri as a good member and sister. According to Yena, Hyewon didn’t plan to let her feelings known by Yuri. As they walked towards the entrance of the building for their awaiting vans, Yuri offered her some jellies to eat which she gladly took some and munched on. Yena then told Yuri about her schedule next and the younger definitely asked her to have fun before they said their goodbye, waving at one another as they parted ways.

Yena’s schedule that day then continued with meeting up with the staff and casts of girls’ high school mystery class, a new variety show focusing on solving cases that’s happening at the school. It was fun as Yena got to know more new people, creating more friends although she did know one of the casts from previous show that she was in. She also heard on how her fans were excited for her to finally get back to variety show as how they were missing her to be in one.

Yena would text Yuri whenever she could in between the break of her schedule and told the younger about her day. Pretty much her routine nowadays, Yuri’s too. For sure when one of them was on break from their schedule, the message from the other would already be waiting for them to read and reply. 

When Yena got back from her schedule that day, Yena was teased by all of her members, knowing whom Yena’s radio dj partner was, leaving Yena whining and blushing as she ignored her members until the teasing died down before she shared her day with her members. Yena was much happier now compared to the past as the weight of not finding Yuri in the past had been lifted off and now, they were having a schedule together as radio dj. So, indirectly, it went on the way she wanted and she couldn’t be more grateful for it to happen.

 

***

 

Violet was in their dorm. They just finished having their dinner. Yena played some games with Nako by her side. Yujin was mostly on her phone, chiming in whenever she could on the talk that was circulating in the dorm. Eunbi, Minju and Chaewon were talking and discussing random stuff that they could think of. They even thought of turning on vlive to greet the fans as they missed them so much. 

“Unnie, you’re guesting in Running Man and 2 days 1 night?” Yujin suddenly asked as she stopped looking at her phone.

Yujin saw the circulating rumours of Yena guesting on the established shows, like Running Man or 2 days 1 night. Yena looked at Yujin and shrugged to before quickly focusing back on the game as she was losing to Nako. One of the rumours was correct as she was going to guest in Running Man but she still kept it to herself because she wanted to give this guest appearance as a surprise to her fans. Only Eunbi knew about it as the leader was around when the manager talked to her about it. She didn’t tell others because the less people knew about it, the less the chance for the news to break out.

“You are!!!” Yujin accused after reading Yena’s body language. Yujin was happy and excited for Yena. 

“Just Running Man, before you think that I’ll be in both shows.” Yena reminded without looking away from the screen, chasing after Nako’s car in the game. 

“Still… unnie, you’re booked after your long hiatus.” Yujin exclaimed from the happiness she felt. “But you don’t even bother to tell me.” Yujin faked her sadness.

“Seemingly our Yujinnie is broken.” Chaewon deadpanned after seeing how fast the change in Yujin was.

The rest of the members laughed at the youngest antics. Suddenly, the bell rang and Eunbi got up to see who it was. She found their manager standing behind the door, waiting for them to open it for her. When Eunbi did so, the manager came and joined them in the living room. Their manager found the person she needed to talk to, Yena.

“Great that I don’t need to go and look for you, Yena.” The manager said and took a seat on the floor, joining the members.

“What is it, unnie?” Yena asked without tearing her gaze from the screen. 

“Yes!!!” Yena’s exclaim followed when she finally managed to chase after Nako.

“You got two new offers.” The manager stated, pretty chill around the members. Everyone was serious listening to the manager, except for Yena who’s more focus on the game so far.

“Both are from the same production team. One is still being conceptualised. The second one which would be filmed after they finished the casting, is a healing type of show and you’ll be driving there. The PD also insisted it to be you.”

“Okay. I won’t say no to a job. As long as it could fit in my schedule, I would always take it.” Yena coolly answered.

“I’ll contact the PD that you agree to it then.” The manager said which earned a nod from Yena.

“Woah… Unnie is fully booked and the PD seems to be a fan.” Yujin said when their manager came to inform Yena of new shows for her to be in. 

“I’ll bring you in as guest whenever I could.” Yena told Yujin and saw the change of expression on the puppy’s face, grinning widely from happiness before looking at their manager. “So, nothing else about the show? Like who are the other potential casts?”

“Nothing else. Oh, it’s a high budget show. It would be aired in A1. As for the cast, it would be you and one other whom I don’t know about since everything is kept as a secret.” 

“A1? The new cable?” Yujin asked and she saw their manager nodded. 

“A lot of good shows and dramas aired there though. I have high expectation already.” Minju excitedly said, knowing it after watching the channel with Chaewon whenever they had free time.

“Unnie, It’s not a shady show right?” Yena jokingly said after placing the controller down. The game ended up with her losing from Nako. She would complain usually but she was distracted by the new shows.

“Like we’ll let you be in one.” The manager retorted, laughing a bit at the banter with Yena. 

The rest of the talk mostly was Yena learning about the channel from her manager and members. The more she listened to what others knew about the channel and shows, none of those shows she had filmed this far made her intrigued like these new shows. The things she learnt were that the two shows were produced by the same production team and would be aired in a new cable channel that’s sort of well known not only locally but internationally too. One was sort of still being conceptualised but the production team quickly booked her first for it by the PD’s request while the other one was being kept secretive on who would be her partner and how the show would be. She only knew that it was a healing type of show and she would be driving. Other than that she wouldn’t be told until the day of the filming. She also heard that it’s a huge budget show and she wondered just how huge the scale was. She tried to get more information from her manager but her manager told her that she also didn’t know more about it. So, she and the members speculated that it would be her having fun driving around while having a carpool karaoke kind of style as they couldn’t think of any other theories than that. Her members believed that they and the fans would love those two shows in spite of the secrecy and the other one was pretty much unknown. It seemed that she would have a restless sleep until she got to know more of the shows or until the day of the filming from how curious she was about it.