Vivi's Note

The Biggest Little City

The next morning, Jinsoul woke up smiling, her mind immediately going to Jungeun; she couldn’t believe she was going to see the beautiful girl again today. She reached for her phone to check the time: 10:30 am. She had one new message from Jungeun:

Hi Jinsoul ^.^ Just wanted to make sure you remembered to meet us at the arcade! 

I hope you come...

Jinsoul grinned widely.

Of course I remembered! I'll see you then, Jinsoul almost sent, but stopped typing. "Should I send her an emoji?" she mumbled out loud. Jinsoul looked at what Jungeun had sent, and started to get worried. "I mean, she sent one, but which emoji is appropriate? I mean, a heart is way too bold, but I really have no idea...” 

Finally she sighed and typed out a response.

Of course I remembered! I'll see you then :) 

She sent the message, then fell back onto her bed. She stared up at the ceiling, trying to calm her nerves. "It's just a text," she groaned. Suddenly her phone buzzed, and she practically jumped out of bed. She unlocked it as quickly as her fingers would allow.

See ya! Jungeun answered.

Jinsoul smiled widely once she read it, then rushed to get ready. She carefully picked out her nicest clothes that were still casual, and brushed her hair so that it looked good (she briefly thanked god that she didn’t have that dead blonde hair anymore). She brushed her teeth three times and checked the mirror every five seconds. Finally, she decided she was decent enough, and left the room.

Quickly, she headed down to the basement. , I'm early, Jinsoul thought as she looked down at her phone; it was only twelve o'clock. Oh well; she’d just wait until they got here, but when she looked into the arcade, she noticed that the girls were already there, including Yeojin. She walked over to them and tapped Jungeun on the shoulder, the other girl looking up and grinning. 

"Hey, what are you guys doing here early?" Jinsoul asked.

"Well, Jungeun wanted-" Hyejoo began, but stopped when Jungeun gave her a pointed glare.

"We're here because Haseul wanted to see Vivi early," Jungeun said. Jinsoul nodded.

"Oh, okay," she answered, and sat down next to Jungeun.

"Did you eat?" Jungeun asked Jinsoul.

She shook her head. "Nope, are you hungry too?"

"Hey, what do you all want?" Yerim asked as everyone in the group except Jinsoul and Yeojin handed her five dollars. Soon enough they realized this was their arcade food system, and gave Yerim five bucks too

"I'll have a large fries and a coke," Jungeun spoke.

"Same for me," Hyejoo said.

"Make that three," Chaewon responded.

“Nope, four!” Yeojin interjected.

“Five!” Jinsoul cried excitedly.

After a few seconds of pointed staring at Haseul, she spoke up again. "Um, Haseul, uh, do you want anything?" Yerim asked. Silence. She tapped the girl on the shoulder. "Uh, Haseul?" she repeated. 

Haseul quickly turned around, pulled out of her daydreams. "Um, what's up?" 

"What do you want?" Yerim asked, clearly used to this behavior.

"Whatever they're having," Haseul replied, and turned back to look at Vivi. The girls all sighed and rolled their eyes, and Yerim walked off to go get food with Yeojin excitedly following behind. Hyejoo and Chaewon stuck in earbuds and began their daily stare-down-the-children fest, and Jungeun turned to Jinsoul.

"Have you played the games yet?" Jungeun asked. 

"Nope. Actually, yesterday was my first time down here," Jinsoul explained. 

"That's right! Well, do you want to play them? I can make us win every one, and then we can get lame prizes and make Haseul jealous by talking to Vivi."

"Sounds like a good plan to me.” 

The two walked off to play the games, stopping first at the big purple machines that exchanged money for tokens. Jinsoul was about to stuff a five dollar bill into the slot when Jungeun pushed her hand away.

"No, I'm paying for the both of us," Jungeun insisted. Jinsoul sighed.

"But that's unfair! It's just for some crap anyways. Please let me pay my share," Jinsoul whined. Jungeun shook her head.

"Hell no!" she spoke as the ten dollar bill she'd put into the machine was in, and it began to dispense gold, coin like tokens. 

"Hey, can you go to Vivi and ask for two cups?" Jungeun asked, and Jinsoul pouted but obeyed. When she returned, Jungeun was desperately trying to make sure that the coins didn't fall onto the floor by cupping her hands around the dispensing area. It was only sort of working, and that was just because Jungeun had large hands.

"Here, here," Jinsoul said, handing one of the clear plastic cups to Jungeun. She held it under the token area, and Jinsoul bent over to pick up the fallen tokens. When she wasn't looking, Jungeun spared a quick glance at Jinsoul's , but soon returned to concentrating on the token machine. When it was finally done, they sat on the floor of the arcade and evenly divided the tokens between the two cups.

"God, Jungeun, I feel so guilty," Jinsoul said.

"Don't worry, it's fun for me too. It's not every day I get to take a newbie to the arcade and show them my secret ways.” Jungeun gave Jinsoul a wink that had her shivering all over and they stood up, Jungeun escorting them to one of the games. It was the kind that had the light spinning around in a circle, and you had to press it at the right time so it would land on the jackpot. Jungeun put three tokens into the game.

"Watch.” Jungeun grinned smugly at Jinsoul and then the machine.

"Get ready, go!" the machine spoke in an annoying automated voice, and the light started spinning. It was turning really fast, so fast that Jinsoul could barely keep up with it. After (what Jinsoul thought was) five spins, Jungeun pressed the button. It landed on the number one jackpot spot, and tickets started coming out of the machine.

"Holy ," Jinsoul muttered.

"Practice makes perfect," Jungeun responded. Finally, after about five minutes, all the tickets were out. Jungeun expertly folded them and placed them into her pocket. They went around to three more similar games, not playing the same ones over and over again because Jungeun said it decreased their chances. 

"All that, and we still can't get a hoodie," Jungeun said jokingly after they'd won about three thousand tickets. Jinsoul laughed and touched Jungeun's arm, like she’d read about when trying to look up how to flirt. She thought it felt kinda forced but when Jungeun looked away with a shy smile, she figured maybe it had worked.

"Can you teach me your ways, oh arcade game master Jungeun?" Jinsoul asked with a giggle, and Jungeun laughed back.

"Oh yes, my disciple." They both shared another giggle, and she led Jinsoul over to a machine with a big handle.

"This one is good for beginners," Jungeun said as Jinsoul eyed the machine. It wasn't that big, and very inconspicuous compared to some of the others. It was called Big Fish Jackpot (despite its size), and had lots of pictures of swimming fish on it. In the center was a spinning wheel with numbers on them. 

"On most, the jackpot section is very small, and there are a lot more squares. This one has a pretty big jackpot section compared to others, and not too many sections. Also, it's quite easy to maneuver once you have the strategy down," Jungeun explained. Jinsoul nodded.

"Alright, to master this one, you have to start pushing the handle immediately after you put the coins in. You have to push it about a quarter of the way down.” Jinsoul followed her instructions exactly and once she finished, she paused for a moment.

"Perfect. Now, push the handle to about the three quarters mark, as fast and as hard as you can.” Jinsoul complied, and Jungeun smiled. 

"Good, good. Now, slowly, but still really hard, push the handle the rest of the way down," she said. Jinsoul did as he was told.

"Finally, pull the handle towards you.” Jinsoul pulled it towards her, and the spinning slowed down, and landed exactly on the one thousand ticket mark. Jinsoul grinned, squealing and jumping up and down. Jungeun smiled proudly at her, and they waited for all the tickets to come out.

"That was really good, Jindori," Jungeun said, and Jinsoul’s eyes widened. 

She gave me a nickname. My life is complete.

“Th-thanks,” she finally managed to stutter back. 

As the tickets emerged, Jungeun taught Jinsoul how to fold them properly. "So you fold them like this, as quickly as possible so that it doesn't fall apart. If it does, then you might lose some or have it just be messy in your pocket," Jungeun said. Jinsoul started folding the tickets as Jungeun taught her, and by the time they were all done, they were in a neat little stack. Jinsoul stuffed it in her pocket, and they moved on. 

Once they spent all of their tokens, they moved over to the ticket calculator. What you did was feed the tickets into the machine, and once it ate them all it gave you a receipt with the amount of tickets you got on it. They did just that, feeding their thousands and thousands of tickets into the machine. 

"Do you want to combine? We might be able to get a hoodie and share it," Jungeun joked. Jinsoul smiled. 

"Sounds good!” When they were done, the two had earned about twelve thousand tickets.

"Oh my god, that's so many," Jinsoul said in shock.

"Yeah, I guess," Jungeun answered.

"It was mostly you, you know," Jinsoul said with admiration. Jungeun shook her head and smiled.

"You helped," she whined. Jinsoul giggled, and they walked over toward the prize stand. They handed Vivi their receipt, and she blinked in shock.

"That's a lot," she said calmly. Jinsoul and Jungeun shared a smile.

"So, how much is a sweatshirt?" Jungeun asked.

"Too much," Vivi admitted, and they all laughed. Jinsoul noticed Haseul giving Jungeun and herself death glares. "Seriously, it's sixty thousand tokens. I'm not even kidding.”

"What the ?" Jinsoul said.

"Well, whatever," Jungeun said, sighing. She turned to Jinsoul. "You just want to get way too much ing candy?" she asked her new friend.

"That sounds perfect.”

They picked out tons of every kind of candy in the place, asking for two bags so they could evenly split it. When they had packed everything and were just walking away, Vivi called to them.

"Hey guys?" she asked. Jungeun and Jinsoul turned around to look at her. She beckoned for them to come back, and they returned to the table. Vivi slipped them a small piece of folded paper.

"Could you give this to Haseul?" Vivi asked shyly. Jungeun and Jinsoul nodded politely, then walked back to their seat. As soon as they had turned their backs toward Vivi, both of their jaws slacked.

"Holy , what could this be?" Jinsoul whispered to Jungeun.

"How does she know Haseul's name?" Jungeun whispered back. They both laughed quietly for a moment, then returned to their state of shock.

"It could be a restraining order," Jinsoul guessed. Jungeun laughed, louder this time, and they arrived at the table, immediately slipping Haseul the note.

"It's from Vivi," Jungeun said, and Haseul opened it up as fast as possible, her fingers shaking. All the girls crowded around Haseul; even Hyejoo and Chaewon pulled out their earbuds to read it.

Vivi (the pink haired girl who works at the casino arcade)’s number: 775-646-5548.....text me! ;)

Haseul almost died on the spot. The seven girls looked up at Vivi, and she was blushing furiously. They all looked back at the note, then at her. Haseul couldn't even manage a smile, and just kept staring at Vivi. Vivi turned away after a few moments, a frown crossing her face.

"Oh my god Haseul she thinks you hate her now! Why didn't you wave or smile at her or something?" Hyejoo growled. Haseul was too shocked to respond, eyes moving back to stare at the note. 

"She's too surprised to do anything right now, let's just leave her alone to process," Yerim said wisely as Haseul became a statue, barely even moving to breath. After a few minutes of everyone just staring slack jawed, Jungeun spoke.

"Anyone want starbucks?" Jungeun asked. 

"Coffee. Plain. Black.," Hyejoo said.

"Me too. Black, like my soul," Chaewon specified. Jinsoul gave her a look. 

"Um..." Jinsoul said as Jungeun rolled her eyes and wrote their orders down. 

“Just a caramel frappuccino for me,” Yerim said.

"Oh, I'll have one of those cookies with frosting on them, and hot chocolate," Yeojin added. Jinsoul smiled at her.

"I suspect Haseul doesn't want anything; she might barf it up," Chaewon said. Everyone nodded, and Jinsoul followed Jungeun out of the arcade. 

"Hey, um...why are Hyejoo and Chaewon like that?" Jinsoul said. Jungeun laughed. 

"Even though Hyejoo’s my sister....I still don’t know. She’s so...it’s not the worst phase your sibling could have, but like...literally she hand-dyes all the clothes my grandparents get her black," Jungeun spoke, smiling. Jinsoul chuckled.

"How does Chaewon put up with her? They’re best friends, right?" Jinsoul asked jokingly.

"She's the same way. And they’re not just best friends, they’re dating." Jungeun answered. 

“Oh my god...how do you and Haseul put up with that?”

"I dunno...I dunno....but I mean they're only in middle school, they have some time to grow. And at least that means they don’t do anything weird,” Jungeun explained 

Jinsoul nodded in understanding. “Right...but when they get older though...” 

“Don’t even remind me. Well, at least Yerim is innocent.”

"I know, even though we’re the same age Yerim is somehow sooo cute!" Jinsoul exclaimed. That made Jungeun's face fall, a small frown settling in on her face. Jinsoul thought that sadness didn't suit her, so she tried to change the subject.

"What do you usually get at starbucks?" Jinsoul asked.

"I always just get a scone and a white chocolate mocha," Jungeun answered, then laughed. “That sounds so boring, doesn’t it?” 

"It's cool, who doesn't like mochas?" Jinsoul responded. 

Jungeun smiled. "Your favorite thing?" she asked.

"Well, it depends on my mood. Vanilla bean frap when I'm happy, five cake pops when I'm sad, and a chai tea latte when I have the feels. Also, the bigger the size, the more I'm feeling that emotion," Jinsoul answered.

"So, what are you getting?" Jungeun asked.

"Venti vanilla bean frappuccino," Jinsoul answered, smiling widely, and Jungeun returned it. The two girls ordered their food and drinks, and were about to go walk down to the arcade when Jungeun got a text.

"The other girls said we're leaving now, and that I have to drive because Haseul has become paralyzed," Jungeun said with false annoyance. Jinsoul giggled.

"Well, bye then," she answered, trying not to sound too sad. 

"Wait, we should take a picture together!" Jungeun exclaimed, pulling her phone out of her pocket and wrapping her arm around Jinsoul's shoulder to hold her closer. Jinsoul's breath hitched at the contact, trying to contain herself for a moment before speaking.

"You better add a snapchat filter..." 

Jungeun laughed, but opened snapchat all the same. Jungeun grinned, and Jinsoul held up two fingers and smiled as well. The camera clicked, and they both gazed at the screen, waiting for the picture to load. They both approved of the shot, butterflies on their noses from the filter, and Jinsoul looked up at her and smiled.

"Send it to me, okay?" Jinsoul said. Jungeun nodded.

"Of course," Jungeun said, and waved.

"Bye Jindori," she spoke, walking towards the door. Jinsoul smiled back, waving and turning pink. 

That nickname does stuff to me, Jinsoul thought to herself. 

When the gorgeous girl was far out of sight, Jinsoul slowly walked back to her room, trying to process the day in her mind, and prepare for the next one (which she hoped would include Jungeun. Lots of Jungeun).