We Fit Together

The Biggest Little City

"Are you still awake?" Hyejoo whispered. Chaewon smiled in the darkness, flipping around in the bed to face the other middle schooler.

"Of course, how could I sleep when I get to be all alone with my girlfriend?" Chaewon responded. Hyejoo grinned and blushed, laughing a little bit at Chaewon's cheesiness. Chaewon rummaged around in the sheets, looking for Hyejoo's hand before holding it gently.

"Today's our last night here alone together," Hyejoo spoke sadly. Chaewon frowned, snuggling closer to her girlfriend. The two of them had been spending their nights together in the same bed, since they got the chance now (not doing anything too grown up, of course)! It was like a long sleepover except with nobody trying to discipline them: no siblings, no parents. As twelve year olds, of course they had loved every minute of it, and were more than sad to have to give this freedom up.

"At least Vivi and Haseul started going out, maybe then we can spend some alone time at my house," Chaewon said hopefully.

"Wait, seriously?" Hyejoo asked. 

Chaewon nodded. "Haseul called me immediately after it happened." 

"When was that? Why am I only hearing about it now?"

"You were still asleep," Chaewon explained.

"ing finally. Well, that's good."

"I know, right? Maybe we don't have to go to the ing arcade anymore."

"On the contrary, I think we'll be going to the arcade more, so your sister can see her girlfriend." Chaewon groaned. "I am so damn sick of that place!" 

"Thank god for Jinsoul, at least we can chill at her room sometimes," Hyejoo said. 

"But wait, doesn't she have to move soon?" Chaewon asked. Hyejoo frowned and sighed.

"...ugh, he does! My sister's going to be a ing mess," Hyejoo spoke sadly.

"I don’t think she’ll be able to function for a while," Chaewon said.

"Honestly though....I'll really miss Jinsoul too. Even though she's awkward as hell, she's super fun and cool," Hyejoo said. Chaewon nodded in agreement. 

"Do you think they had ?" Chaewon whispered. 

Hyejoo's eyes widened. "I don't know," she whispered.

"Wait, Haseul told me they snuck into a club, so they might've," Chaewon said.

"We'll have to pester them about it tomorrow," Hyejoo said, nodding firmly.

Chaewon moved to rest her head on Hyejoo's chest. They laid like that for a while, Hyejoo petting Chaewon's bleach blonde (and lifeless) hair while Chaewon listened to the sound of her girlfriend's heart beat. It was so easy. They were so young, and yet so comfortable with each other. It made sense, of course, since they had been friends since birth and been dating for a few years now. But they couldn’t help but think maybe, they were meant to be too. 

“Do you wanna bake something?” Chaewon suddenly asked. 

Hyejoo turned to look at the alarm clock. “It’s like...one am.” 

“So?” 

Slowly, Hyejoo looked down at Chaewon with a grin. “You know...I saw these Sanrio cookie recipes on tiktok that looked really yummy.” 

Chaewon smiled back at her. “Then what are we waiting for?” 

With a giggle both girls leapt out of bed, padding their way into the kitchen. Hyejoo pulled the recipe up on her phone. 

“It’s Kuromi and My Melody,” Hyejoo said. Chaewon looked over her shoulder before giving her girlfriend a kiss on the cheek. 

“Like you and me. You’re Kuromi and I’m My Melody.” 

“You’re cheesy,” Hyejoo mumbled lowly, not looking at Chaewon to hide that she was blushing. Chaewon just giggled, climbing on the countertops to get the baking ingredients from the highest parts of the cabinets. 

Hyejoo read out the first couple parts of the recipe and Chaewon started stirring following her directions. And Hyejoo just watched, her tiny blonde girlfriend flitting around the kitchen in the dead of the night, in her animal crossing pajamas that she only wore when she was alone or just with Hyejoo, no makeup on, just herself. 

And Hyejoo knew she was so, so lucky. Not many people got to have a best friend or more at such a young age like her. It was nice to have someone who understood her so much: someone she could listen to weird emo music with, dress crazy and fun in public with, sit with at lunch and go crazy in the school hallways, someone who she could play animal crossing and minecraft with after school and talk with on the phone until the late hours of the night, when her grandparents yelled that she was running up the phone bill, and then switch to texting with. She was lucky that this girl that was her girlfriend, her best friend, her everything was so kind, no matter what. Quiet and small but strong and brave. And of course, it was a plus that she was the most beautiful girl in their entire middle school. 

"I can't believe we've actually tricked everyone into thinking we’re satanist emo demon worshippers twenty four-seven," Hyejoo said. They both chuckled.

"I know, right? We're way too young for that," Chaewon responded quietly. “It’s not sustainable. We like cute things too. And we still like kid stuff.”

"It's become sort of a game for us. It’s only really funny because we’re in middle school." Hyejoo spoke.

Chaewon nodded, looking up at Hyejoo.

“Do you think we’ll end up together...past middle school?” 

Hyejoo stared at her, panicked. “O-Of course! Do you not think-” 

“No no no. I...I just was worried you didn’t want to,” Chaewon mumbled. 

Despite the fact that she was covered in flour, Hyejoo stepped close and gave her a big hug. “I wanna be with you forever. Even if it sounds stupid. I wanna grow up with you.” 

Slowly, Chaewon smiled. “Me too.” 

“Like...learn to drive, get our first jobs, go to college, move in together, get married, do....everything.” 

Chaewon wrested herself from Hyejoo’s grip and put the sheets of cookies into the oven. "I’d like to do all of that someday. With you."

"Of course, what do you think?" Hyejoo answered.

"And......I'd like to have my first everything with you. And I'd like for you to have your first everything with me too." Chaewon spoke.

"I wouldn't want it any other way," Hyejoo answered.

"But not now, of course. We’re so young. We’ve got, like...sooo much time," Chaewon added. Hyejoo nodded in agreement.

“Anyways. We could never break up because then you’d have so much blackmail on me.” 

“Me too! You’re the only person who knows about my My Little Pony collection.” 

“I told you it’s not that bad!” Hyejoo whined. Chaewon flushed and shook her head. 

The honest truth was that Hyejoo thought it was cute. In fact, everything about Chaewon is cute. And perfect, and lovely, and kind, and helpful, and lovely. She was lovely, and....loveable. 

And Hyejoo loved her. A lot. It was the truth; she loved Chaewon in a romantic way, as much as a twelve year old could love anyone in a romantic way. 

When they were kids, just friends, they said it all the time. But since they got together, they’d felt weird about saying those three words. 

But Hyejoo knew, it was time. "Um, Chaewon? I know this is sort of a weird question to ask but...we've been together a long time, right?" Hyejoo asked. Chaewon looked up at her in confusion.

"Yeah, why?" Chaewon responded.

"Because, I know we're a bit young and stuff, but you know, um.......I love you, Chaewonnie," Hyejoo said nervously. Chaewon grinned in delight, immediately pecking Hyejoo on the lips.

"I love you too, Hyejoo," Chaewon spoke sincerely. They both giggled with happiness, looking at each other's beaming faces. Chaewon smiled softly, tucking a lock of Hyejoo's jet black hair behind her ear. 

"I'm so glad I forced my sister to give your sister the note saying I liked you to you in the fourth grade," Chaewon said.

"Me too love," Hyejoo responded and sighed happily. Suddenly, the oven beeped, and Chaewon rushed over to the oven, throwing it open. Both girls gasped as they stared at the sheet of cookies: they’d turned out perfectly. 

They shared an excited squeal as Chaewon pulled the two sheets out of the oven, trying not to get Hyejoo’s minecraft pajamas dirty. 

“It says they need fifteen minutes to cool down.” 

“They’re lying,” Hyejoo mumbled, shoving one into . She squeaked and tried to fan as Chaewon giggled. 

“Be careful!” Chaewon whined. 

“Wait...I have an idea.” Hyejoo shoved on a oven mitt and grabbed the two trays, tossing them into the freezer. 

Chaewon gasped excitedly. “I’m dating a genius!” 

“You know it.” They shared a peck on the lips and stared at the clock, giving the cookies one minute. Once it passed they pulled the cookies out of the freezer and immediately ate every single one of them in complete silence.

As soon as the trays were empty, Chaewon let out a huge yawn.

"Are you sleepy?" Hyejoo asked. Chaewon shook her head, trying to force her eyes to stay open. Hyejoo turned around and looked at the digital clock on the oven.

"It's three o'clock in the morning! We really need to sleep," Hyejoo exclaimed quietly. Chaewon frowned. 

“But what about the dishes?” 

“Tomorrow.” 

“True.” They shared a nod and Chaewon grabbed Hyejoo’s hand, leading her back to the bedroom. Without washing their faces or brushing their teeth, despite the cookies, they slipped back into bed. Chaewon rolled onto Hyejoo, pulling her closer and wrapping her arms around her waist.

"Goodnight Joo," Chaewon said sleepily.

"Goodnight...I love you," Hyejoo responded.

"I love you too," Chaewon spoke before sleep took over.