A New Home

The Biggest Little City

Jinsoul woke up the next morning utterly exhausted. The butterflies in her stomach had been so strong that she couldn’t fall asleep, but she didn't care. All that mattered was the fact that Jungeun was hers, and she was Jungeun's.

Jinsoul pulled her phone off of the charger and opened the one unread text.

Hey Jinsoul, we haven't really talked in a while. We should have lunch together. I have some things to tell you, her mother had texted.

Alright, lets meet at 12:30, Jinsoul answered. Jinsoul felt a little worry bubble up in her stomach; her mother’s words sounded so foreboding. But just as Jinsoul's mom confirmed their lunch time, her door burst open.

"Hey baby," Jungeun said, crawling into bed next to Jinsoul and kissing her on the lips.

"Awww, you two are so cute!" Yerim cooed, laying down sideways on the bed. Yeojin followed her, gagging at the new couple and sitting down on the floor.

"Thank god you two finally figured it out; maybe my sister will stop her pathetic pining over you," Chaewon said, sitting down on Hyejoo's lap on the chair they'd practically adopted as their own.

"Now Haseul and Vivi just need to get together," Hyejoo added, wrapping her arms around Chaewon's waist.

"Congratulations!" Heejin and Hyunjin spoke as they followed everyone else, sitting down on the floor in front of the TV.

"How the hell did you guys get in here?" Jinsoul asked.

"I stole your extra room key," Hyejoo answered. Jinsoul just sighed, and Jungeun pulled her closer.

"Where's Haseul?" Hyunjin asked.

"In the arcade," Jungeun, Yerim, Hyejoo, and Chaewon said at the same time.

"With Vivi?" Heejin asked.

"Duh, who else would she be with?" Yeojin responded.

"Anyways...so what should we do today?" Yerim asked.

"I have to go to lunch with my mom at 12:30," Jinsoul said.

"It's only 10:30 though, we have some time," Jungeun responded, snuggling into Jinsoul.

"Wait, aren't you grounded?" Hyunjin asked Hyejoo and Chaewon.

"My parents forgot," Chaewon explained.

"Mine too," Hyejoo piped up.

"Speaking of which, my grandparents are going out of town for a few nights. They're leaving tomorrow, and Hyejoo's kicking me out of the house, so can I stay with you?" Jungeun asked Jinsoul.

"Of course!" Jinsoul replied, grinning widely. She took a deep breath, overjoyed at the extra time she’d get to spend with her new girlfriend. Now, she felt close enough to her that it wouldn’t be weird.

"Someone's a little too excited," Hyejoo teased.

"Hyejoo please, the reason you're kicking me out is so that you and Chaewon can do weird stuff. I think you guys are the ones who are a little too excited," Jungeun responded.

"Excuse me, there is no such thing as getting too excited about spending quality time with your girlfriend," Hyejoo whined.

"And we aren’t just doing weird stuff. The things we do have a name, and that name is satanic rituals," Chaewon added.

'Alright, I've had enough of hearing about my sister's weird obsessions for today," Jungeun interjected. Yeojin giggled.

"Let's play scrabble," Heejin said loudly, her and Hyunjin giving Chaewon and Hyejoo weird looks.

"Do you have a set?" Hyejoo asked. Hyunjin pulled a travel scrabble game from her bag in response.

"Let's play up here," Jinsoul suggested, patting the bed.

"But it'll get all messed up!" Chaewon whined.

"But I'm cozy," Jinsoul whined back.

"We're playing on the bed," Jungeun said firmly. Everyone quickly climbed onto the bed, fearing Jungeun's tone.

"There's only four players allowed, so we'll have to play in teams," Heejin said.

"The couples and Yerim and Yeojin, right?" Jinsoul asked.

"Hey, I have a disadvantage," Yerim complained.

“What?” Yeojin cried. 

“Well, you do know less words...” Yerim mumbled. 

“But I know better words!”

"You two can go first," Heejin interrupted. A few seconds later, Yerim put down her first word (hat), and the game began.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I just looked it up, imalltoyz is a website!" Hyejoo cried.

"Okay, we accepted toyz with a z, we accepted malltoyz, but imalltoyz is pushing it," Heejin groaned.

"Are you sure?" Chaewon asked hopefully.

"Yeah. We are," Yeojin firmly responded.

", it's 12:25, and I'm still in my pajamas," Jinsoul said suddenly, jumping out of bed and completely destroying the board.

"What the hell? You completely ed up our entire game," Hyejoo whined.

"Baby, stay. Stand up your mom," Jungeun said.

"I can't stay," Jinsoul responded, emerging from the bathroom wearing jeans and a t-shirt. "And sorry about the board. Be back soon!" she yelled back to the girls in her room, grabbing her things and rushing out of the door, leaving them to do whatever. 

She went down to the buffet and soon saw her mom had already grabbed a table.

"Am I late?" Jinsoul asked.

"No, you're right on time."

"We should get food now." 

Her mom nodded, both of them standing up and grabbing plates. A few minutes later, they returned giant piles of food.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Jinsoul asked, munching on a pancake.

"I found us a new house!" her mom answered with a bright smile.

"What? Where is it?" 

"It's back in California, but more towards the north. It's called Vallejo, and it's in the Bay Area. It's pretty close to San Francisco. How cool is that? We'll have to rent, but it'll be so nice to have our own space, right?" 

Jinsoul took in a deep breath, eyebrows furrowing, trying to look everywhere but at her mother. "That sounds great," she lied.

"Is something wrong?" her mom asked, concern clear in her voice.

"I don't know. I was sort of hoping we could stay in Reno," Jinsoul said hesitantly.

"But it's so creepy here!"

"It is, I see that...but I honestly love it here. I'm happier than I've been in a really long time.”

"I know you're quite happy here. I...I can see it in your face, hear it in your voice; you look happier than you have in ages. But...I already contacted the landlord, so there's nothing I can do," she said. As much as her heart hurt Jinsoul could see her mom was genuinely concerned, frowning at her daughter's unhappiness.

"It's alright. Vallejo sounds nice," Jinsoul said, perking up just a bit, if only for her mom’s sake.

"I promise you'll enjoy it. It's right by the water too."

There was one question Jinsoul was absolutely dreading. But, she had to ask, frowning even at just the idea of it. "When are we leaving?"

"In nine days. I bought the plane tickets already." Jinsoul swallowed thickly, and they sat in silence for a few minutes before her mom spoke again. "Is there anything here contributing to your happiness?" 

Jinsoul smiled at the very mention of her new friends and girlfriend. "I met this really nice group of girls." 

"That's so nice. It's good to know you're making friends." Just then, they both finished their meals. "Well, I'm exhausted, and you probably want to get back to your friends," she said.

"Alright then. Bye mom," Jinsoul responded, the two standing up and hugging each other tightly.

"I'll see you soon," her mother said. They waved at each other and Jinsoul stepped out of the buffet, taking the elevator back to her own room. She walked in and flopped on the bed before looking around the room.

"Where is everyone?" Jinsoul asked Jungeun, the only person left.

"I kicked them out," Jungeun answered, pulling Jinsoul under the covers with her. Jinsoul giggled.

"That's good. I want to be alone with you too." Suddenly, Jinsoul looked up worriedly. "How are you getting home?"

"Getting a ride with Vivi," Jungeun explained, grinning. "So, what did you and your mom talk about?"

Jinsoul sighed, the smile leaving her face. "I'm leaving in nine days, and moving to Vallejo for good."

Jungeun frowned too. "That's . Where's Vallejo?"

"It's near San Francisco," Jinsoul said. Jungeun growled angrily.

"That's so far!" she said, tone full of anger. Jinsoul bit her lower lip, feeling water start to cloud her vision.

"Baby, baby, don't cry, we still have more than a week left, don't worry," Jungeun said, quickly calming herself down and holding Jinsoul tightly. Jinsoul looked up, the tears that were threatening to leak gone. 

"At least I have you for now," she spoke, snuggling into Jungeun's gentle body. Jungeun wrapped her arms around Jinsoul. Suddenly, Jinsoul sighed.

"What's wrong?" Jungeun asked worriedly.

"I’m just...tired. Emotionally.” 

Jungeun nodded into her neck. “Then sleep. We can nap, it’s alright,” she mumbled into her skin.

Jinsoul nodded back and they laid like that for a long time, drifting in and out of sleep, occasionaly whispering sweet nothings to each other. After many hours, Jungeun got up.

"Vivi's shift is over," Jungeun explained. Jinsoul frowned.

"I wish you didn't have to go...”

"Don't worry. Tomorrow I won't have to leave you," Jungeun said, kissing Jinsoul on the forehead and the lips before walking out of the door.

Jinsoul was really excited for tomorrow.